Mauve Squadron: The Animated Series (no, really)

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

parkhyun
Dungeon Crawler

Mauve Squadron: The Animated Series (no, really)

Unread post by parkhyun »

Good news or bad news first? Okay, the good news.

For those of you who remember, I came up with the Mauve Squadron setting, and then slowly but inexorably moved it into weirder and lamer directions. I'm still here. I've missed you all terribly.

Now, the bad news: I've found a new way to waste my time, and it's creating Mauve Squadron, the animated series. This is a real thing that may or may not happen, depending on how many co-workers I can sucker talk into doing the voice acting, and how much time I can muster to actually animate a whole freakin' 22 minutes. Turns out that animation is really time-consuming. Who knew?

It will not be pretty.
It will be incredibly, horrifically violent.
It will not be as funny as you expect.
It will be as funny as I can possibly make it.
It will not be set in the Robotech universe.
It will draw heavily off of actual (U.S.) Army regulations.
It will not be finished soon.
It will have CDR Toombs in it.
It will not feature any of your PCs.
If I ever actually finish this, the second episode will feature morlocks being slaughtered by Army Rangers, who look suspiciously "Powered."

I have one - ONE - scene ready for sound and polish, and it's a whole 1 minute, 45 seconds long. Hopefully the process will speed up now that I've actually learned how to do animation, and look better, as well, because let's face it: that 1:45 looks like crap.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: Mauve Squadron: The Animated Series (no, really)

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

too bad robotech: Battlecry on Xbox and PS2 didn't have an online multi-player/co-op mode.. you could do machinima..

hey, it worked for Red Vs Blue..
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
parkhyun
Dungeon Crawler

glitterboy2098 wrote:too bad robotech: Battlecry on Xbox and PS2 didn't have an online multi-player/co-op mode.. you could do machinima..

Yeah, originally I thought, "Hell, it's only a bunch of robots flying around against a black backdrop, this should be easy!" Nope. Mauve Squadron takes place almost entirely out of the cockpit, so I need lots and lots of human movement and "inside a spaceship" backdrops.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

parkhyun wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:too bad robotech: Battlecry on Xbox and PS2 didn't have an online multi-player/co-op mode.. you could do machinima..

Yeah, originally I thought, "Hell, it's only a bunch of robots flying around against a black backdrop, this should be easy!" Nope. Mauve Squadron takes place almost entirely out of the cockpit, so I need lots and lots of human movement and "inside a spaceship" backdrops.

Given the violence of the average Mauve Squadron 'mission', 'inside a spaceship' can quickly become 'outside a spaceship', or 'there was a spaceship around us a moment ago!'.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

Sounds cool! Hopefully HG don't try and stop you. :(
taalismn
Priest

Alpha 11 wrote:Sounds cool! Hopefully HG don't try and stop you. :(

They wouldn't, since it doesn't have any Robotech content. It's the same original characters, but it's set in a different universe.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
parkhyun
Dungeon Crawler

taalismn wrote:

They wouldn't, since it doesn't have any Robotech content. It's the same original characters, but it's set in a different universe.

If I do this right, HG will be denying any connection whatsoever to Robotech.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

parkhyun wrote:

Well you could do as gb2098 suggested with some PC games to, but it would require making custom 3D models and likely maps. You can even script cut scenes. Getting maps and 3D models made is time consuming.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

He could also claim same as rooster teeth and weird Al. It isn't illegal to make exact copies and redub (e.g. Joke dub anime) because it is satire which, in America at least, is completely legal.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

actually Weird Al works out legal contracts with the artists he parody's, to get permission.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
parkhyun
Dungeon Crawler

I doubt I'll get any profit, so the issue is moot. I'd be more concerned about the makers of the Venture Bros or Duffel Blog suing me. Or Tom Selleck, who plays CDR Toombs.
taalismn
Priest

parkhyun wrote:I doubt I'll get any profit, so the issue is moot. I'd be more concerned about the makers of the Venture Bros or Duffel Blog suing me. Or Tom Selleck, who plays CDR Toombs.

Oh, NOW he tells us Toombs looks like Tom Selleck...the mustache jokes alone we could have gotten off...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

parkhyun wrote:
taalismn wrote:

If I do this right, HG will be denying any connection whatsoever to Robotech.

Still, with the way they act, you can't be to carful.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

glitterboy2098 wrote:actually Weird Al works out legal contracts with the artists he parody's, to get permission.

sorry my point was he doesn't have to.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

actually he does if he wants to sell albums. fair use only works if the resulting product is available for free.

i don't know about RvB, but i suspect that when roosterteeth made the jump between just some fan an online videos and an actual company selling DVD's of their creation, they worked out an arrangement with Bungie (and later 343). which given they seem to have been employed by Bungie around the time of Halo3, seems to have worked out fairly well.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

glitterboy2098 wrote:actually he does if he wants to sell albums. fair use only works if the resulting product is available for free.

i don't know about RvB, but i suspect that when roosterteeth made the jump between just some fan an online videos and an actual company selling DVD's of their creation, they worked out an arrangement with Bungie (and later 343). which given they seem to have been employed by Bungie around the time of Halo3, seems to have worked out fairly well.

Halo = Microsoft property both entities your speaking of were (for bungie) and are (for 363) studios within Microsoft, neither own Halo.

So how do comedians and SNL get away with all their satire and parody. I highly doubt that in many cases the company says, "sure go ahead make our product look bad."
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

parody is considered protected speech, but free speech and the economic aspects don't necessarily follow the same rules.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

glitterboy2098 wrote:parody is considered protected speech, but free speech and the economic aspects don't necessarily follow the same rules.

correct. But you said parody can't make money unless there is an agreement with the creator. SNL doesn't always do that and always makes money.
parkhyun
Dungeon Crawler

Doesn't matter. I rip off Gundam just as plainly. Also, probably five people will ever see it. However, you should, because Japanese giant robot animation sucks. It features terrible dialogue, horrible voice acting, and unrealistic battle scenes. Mauve Squadron will feature terrible bosses, horrible conditions, and realistic random urinalyses.
taalismn
Priest

parkhyun wrote:Doesn't matter. I rip off Gundam just as plainly. Also, probably five people will ever see it. However, you should, because Japanese giant robot animation sucks. It features terrible dialogue, horrible voice acting, and unrealistic battle scenes. Mauve Squadron will feature terrible bosses, horrible conditions, and realistic random urinalyses.

I thought you were trying to AVOID "weirder and lamer directions".
Drug-testing jokes? Really?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

parkhyun wrote:Doesn't matter. I rip off Gundam just as plainly. Also, probably five people will ever see it. However, you should, because Japanese giant robot animation sucks. It features terrible dialogue, horrible voice acting, and unrealistic battle scenes. Mauve Squadron will feature terrible bosses, horrible conditions, and realistic random urinalyses.

Random my backside. Military random **** test are as random as the product of two animals mating.

Huh?
(Edit: replace military with USAF, I can't speak for the other branches)
K look at it this way

Two dogs make... A dog
Two cats make a cat
Two humans a human
We don't have two dogs making a big
Or two cats making rats
Or two humans making a... A... What animal rhymes with human?

Any way military random **** testing isn't "your squadron has been selected for testing" it IS "Someone in your Wing has been identified by OSI so we will test the whole wing with no names attached to the samples. IF someone in your group tests positive and no other squadron tests positive then you'll get another 'random' test within 5 weeks, same for squadron, flight and eliment.". I BELIEVE it isn't till the element level that they attach names to the samples and it is no longer "random".

:)
parkhyun
Dungeon Crawler

Zer0 Kay wrote:

Random my backside. Military random **** test are as random as the product of two animals mating.

Huh?
K look at it this way

Two dogs make... A dog
Two cats make a cat
Two humans a human
Or two cats making rats

Any way military random **** testing isn't "your squadron has been selected for testing" it IS "Someone in your Wing has been identified by OSI so we will test the whole wing with no names attached to the samples. IF someone in your group tests positive and no other squadron tests positive then you'll get another 'random' test within 5 weeks, same for squadron, flight and eliment.". I BELIEVE it isn't till the element level that they attach names to the samples and it is no longer "random".

It's random in the sense that the whole squadron/battalion is tested... at random times. But some persons are tested more randomly than others. Wink, wink, nudge, no wait don't nudge, I'm peeing in a cup here.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

parkhyun wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

Huh?
K look at it this way

Two dogs make... A dog
Two cats make a cat
Two humans a human
Or two cats making rats

It's random in the sense that the whole squadron/battalion is tested... at random times. But some persons are tested more randomly than others. Wink, wink, nudge, no wait don't nudge, I'm peeing in a cup here.

I'm so glad that I never got tasked as a peter peeker.

"random"

I love how they'd call and say come to so and so but weren't able to tell you what it was about, and That is why we knew what it was for.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”