What Is OSM?

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

GrimmReaper
D-Bee

What Is OSM?

Unread post by GrimmReaper »

Im new to the whole Macross thing IVe watched Robotech and I have Seen Clash of the Bionoids. I also have watched Macross II. I have spotted alot of on line websites and Mecha Thanks to Dave Deitrich, Kenneth Olson and alot of others that have had websites and some are gone now. But as a gamer I have noticed a lot of folks trying to bring real life into it. This is science fiction along with whats In your Imagination. Especially in the forum. I like a good discussion but the facts are its a game for entertainment not a technical manual for a existing military force. I have alot of house rules that I play with two of the most important are have fun and Let the story flow. Thanks for all the good Ideas and posts and yes I am up grading my collection for 2ed Books. And as for people want sources for the world. Make your own. I play rifts And so far Have created my own forces and using every thing I can I even modified a B-52 Old Dog Style. I access what I can over the internet youtube is awesome. I played robotech before I had access to the internet. So enjoying the opening to a new world of gaming.
Chronicler
Adventurer
Comment: "... and that is why you should never put a spork in a toaster."
-Over heard conversation in highschool

Re: What Is OSM?

Unread post by Chronicler »

So are you still asking what OSM is or did I misunderstand what you are trying to say?
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

OSM = "original source material"
the canon of the original shows making up robotech. which is completely separate from the canon of robotech, despite what some people here claim.
for example, by OSM for macross (Superdimensional fortress macross) the SDF-1 is an 'inspection army gunship',where the inspection army is a rival group of zentraedi that the zentraedi had been fighting a civil war with for half a million years. where both the zentraedi and the inspection army were made by the 'protoculture' an ancient race which was the first intelligent life in the galaxy, and which seeded human like life all over, and which took fusion and antimatter tech to absurd heights with tricks involving alternate dimensions.
(because macross went on the generate a bunch of sequels and spin offs in japan, it's OSM gets a little convoluted, because a lot of stuff that debuted in later works were retroactivily added to the original SDF-macross OSM, like energy armor and anti-energy armor weapons, relabelling the world government as 'unity' instead of the United Nations, stuff like that.)

the OSm for Superdimensional cavalry southern cross (the southern cross/masters era in robotech) is the war takes place on the human colony of Glorie, which orbits one of the stars of the southern cross constellation. they're fighting against the 'Zor', a previous human colony of the planet, which had been mutated by the pollen of a native plant and later abandoned the world when an enviromental crisis nearly drove the plant extinct. the war ends with the plant rereleased onto Glorie, suggesting the new colony will become like the Zor.

in the OSm for Genesis climber mospeada (the new generation era) earth was invaded by the Inbit, a race of aliens which can see all forms of energy use, and which want to control it for themselves. earth became a medieval wasteland of sorts, while it's colonies in the rest of the solar system try to retake earth with military attacks. human mecha use HBT cannisters (compressed hydrogen gas) for power, burning it like one would gasoline or jet fuel.

etc.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
GrimmReaper
D-Bee

Unread post by GrimmReaper »

I wanted to know what OSM is. Thanks to glitterboy 2098 for the definition. An I apologize for my rambling. I get sidetracked.
Chronicler
Adventurer
Comment: "... and that is why you should never put a spork in a toaster."
-Over heard conversation in highschool

Unread post by Chronicler »

Naw, don't pay attention to me, I'm the village idiot on here :P Plus Glitterboy had a better answer than what I was going to say.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Chronicler wrote:Naw, don't pay attention to me, I'm the village idiot on here :P Plus Glitterboy had a better answer than what I was going to say.

Hey now. I refuse to let that title get picked up without a fight :fool: :)
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Chronicler wrote:Naw, don't pay attention to me, I'm the village idiot on here :P Plus Glitterboy had a better answer than what I was going to say.

Its a large village :bandit: (I cant even enter the competition....Most of what I know about Robotech comes from reading the novels in a few decades ago, and the game books)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

eliakon wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

Its a large village :bandit: (I cant even enter the competition....Most of what I know about Robotech comes from reading the novels in a few decades ago, and the game books)

I see and yet your use of the bandit tells me there isn't room enough in this large town for the three of us. :D
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”