Rulebook questions

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Grendal270
Megaversal® Ambassador

Rulebook questions

Unread post by Grendal270 »

Is Shadow Cronicles a updated setting from the origional Robotech RPG? I have the classic ruole books, I guess what I am asking is, are ther eany major rule changes that would make it necessary for me to buy TSC to run a RPG? I want to combine my shiney new RPG Tactics game with a RP game to see how it flows. Thanks
guardiandashi
Hero

Re: Rulebook questions

Unread post by guardiandashi »

Grendal270 wrote:Is Shadow Cronicles a updated setting from the origional Robotech RPG? I have the classic ruole books, I guess what I am asking is, are ther eany major rule changes that would make it necessary for me to buy TSC to run a RPG? I want to combine my shiney new RPG Tactics game with a RP game to see how it flows. Thanks

There are rule changes mostly in equipment stats, and occ skill configurations.

in general I am of a mixed view on the changes. with that said I believe most combat equipment has more MDC than in the old books, and is more or less on par with rifts UE equivalants. Most occ's use the MOS mechanic where you have a group of "core" skills/abilities then pick one of several focus packages, and then a small number of "related" or secondary skills. it also makes the "quick" stat packages as the apparent default.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Grendal270 wrote:Is Shadow Cronicles a updated setting from the origional Robotech RPG? I have the classic ruole books, I guess what I am asking is, are ther eany major rule changes that would make it necessary for me to buy TSC to run a RPG? I want to combine my shiney new RPG Tactics game with a RP game to see how it flows. Thanks

RT 2nd ed is made to RUE standard. What rules changes are about as much from the Rifts Mainbook to RUE.

Yes, the are xDC value changes.
--------
As per RT Tac. differences, I don't have RTT, so I can't comment.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Grendal270 wrote:Is Shadow Cronicles a updated setting from the origional Robotech RPG? I have the classic ruole books, I guess what I am asking is, are ther eany major rule changes that would make it necessary for me to buy TSC to run a RPG?

There are several changes, some major, some minor. Individually each change is not that big, but in total it adds up to .... well a second edition of the game really.
Grendal270 wrote: I want to combine my shiney new RPG Tactics game with a RP game to see how it flows. Thanks

The Tactics Game was designed to interface with the Shadow Chronicles/2e version of Robotech. Which means that you will have a much easier time of it if you are using the Shadow Chronicles/2e rule book rules. Just my 2 credits worth.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Grendal270
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Grendal270 »

Thanks for all the replys, I am really disapointed that I can't use my old books, but oh well, they are still collector items... who knows maby I will mail them to PB and see if they can be signed by Kevin and mailed back to me :)
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

generally, you can use some stuff from the old books.. setting info (if your not picky), mecha that didn't get updated, etc. you just have to be willing to do some adjustments.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

As others have stated TSC is essentially a 2E of the Robotech RPG. While there are some differences in terms of stats, naming, and fluff between the two editions, they are mechanically similar enough to be compatible as is. This means that you can drop items in/out and mechanically they would be just fine, where difficulties arise would be in terms of the values for various those mechanic stats.

I don't have RTT, but if it is designed to work with the 2E RPG it should work with the 1E RPG mechanically just fine as there isn't anything mechanically different about the two editions. IINM the only new thing introduced mechanic is the Perception rules, other-wise mechanically it is the same game engine. That said since stat wise it was geared for the 2E RPG and you might need to make some adjustments to the 1E RPG stats or the RTT stats to get them to mesh properly.
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

In my opinion:

TSC, New Generation, and Genesis Pits books work really well, hand in hand with the 1e of the Robotech Line. In fact, if you drop the OCC's from TSC and just use the Mecha and OCC's from New Gen, that is what you would have.

Statwise, the biggest change that hurts, is the fact that the Saber Cyclone doesn't have an unlimited forcefield anymore. Other than that most of the changes were really good, and fall in line with a) reality and b) OSM
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Cant speak to the Tactics game cause I dont have it nor know anything about it's rules, but I dont see why you couldnt apply its ideas directly to RT 1st Ed and not even go down the 2d Ed path.

However, I think 2d Ed is vastly superior to 1st Ed as far as rules are concerned. Sure, there are still some issues with 2d Ed, but its still superior IMHO. Still, taking elements from 1st Ed and applying them to 2d Ed isnt really that hard to convert. The two systems are 85% the same.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

vs. Rt1e, mini missiles no longer add PP bonus and are now completely unguided no matter what we see in the anime unless we hammers accept the heavy weapons and weapon system bonuses of +1 each, to represent it.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”