Invid Plasma Cannons

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Sparticus
Wanderer

Invid Plasma Cannons

Unread post by Sparticus »

It has been a long standing rule in my own and my friend’s rifts games that plasma weapons such as plasma missiles and plasma ejectors do half their original damage in the fallowing turn against the target(s) they struck. As Plasma “sticks” to its target, its damage would in our opinion be almost corrosive in nature as it burns. Now while we all agree that plasma missiles would and should continue to do this in our various robotech campaigns the one thing we are torn on is should the Invid Plasma Cannons do the same. As fare as my group and I can tell the Invid have some of the most refined plasma weapons we have seen. The plasma is in a tightly condensed dick shape and has much greater range that comparable rifts plasma weapons.

Some in the group think that it does not matter if the Invid’s plasma cannons are very refined that because they are still plasma cannons they should function as we have all had plasma weapons in rifts because no matter how refined it is at its base still a plasma weapon, others disagree. I myself am torn on the subject so I thought I should ask if in your opinions should/would the Invid's plasma cannons do half their original damage in the fallowing turn against the target(s) they struck or not.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: Invid Plasma Cannons

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

keep in mind that plasma in robotech is super heated ionized gas. it would not 'stick'

in rifts however the 'plasma' weapons, according to KS's description, is actually more 'super napalm', so it sticking would make a degree of sense there.

invid weapons would be closer to the Kittani plasma weapons of rifts, which are described as using true plasma, instead of misusing the plsma name for a napalm type weapon.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

I agree with glitterboy2098 for the most part. Plasma explosives (ie missiles) have been connected with being a Napalm-like substance since 1E and that continues to this day in 2E. So yes I can see Plasma based explosives that note about Napalm, but ones that don't and cannons I would treat as directed energy weapons, in fact Plasma and Ion are just variations on the particle beam concept at a certain level: its just each uses a different type of "particle" and such.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

ShadowLogan wrote:I agree with glitterboy2098 for the most part. Plasma explosives (ie missiles) have been connected with being a Napalm-like substance since 1E and that continues to this day in 2E. So yes I can see Plasma based explosives that note about Napalm, but ones that don't and cannons I would treat as directed energy weapons, in fact Plasma and Ion are just variations on the particle beam concept at a certain level: its just each uses a different type of "particle" and such.

and different kinds of damage. PB hyper kinetic on a micro scale. Plasma doesn't accelerate the gasses as fast and produces damage because it is super heated... At least I'm guessing they don't use cold industrial plasma like plasma globes. Hmm if that were the case and they weren't superheated or accelerated then it may cause damage by delivering a massive electrical charge, kinda doubt that though :)
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:I agree with glitterboy2098 for the most part. Plasma explosives (ie missiles) have been connected with being a Napalm-like substance since 1E and that continues to this day in 2E. So yes I can see Plasma based explosives that note about Napalm, but ones that don't and cannons I would treat as directed energy weapons, in fact Plasma and Ion are just variations on the particle beam concept at a certain level: its just each uses a different type of "particle" and such.

and different kinds of damage. PB hyper kinetic on a micro scale. Plasma doesn't accelerate the gasses as fast and produces damage because it is super heated... At least I'm guessing they don't use cold industrial plasma like plasma globes. Hmm if that were the case and they weren't superheated or accelerated then it may cause damage by delivering a massive electrical charge, kinda doubt that though :)

I always took it as particle beams and ion guns are variants of the same concept, basically there are ion guns that fire masses of electrons (mostly) proton particle beams that fire fewer but more or less electron stripped protons, and neutral particle beams that fire neutrons (which it turns out do have a charge... its just relatively small)

a plasma weapon on the other hand takes a lot more electron stripped atoms and throw them at a significantly lower speed with the particle beams generally operating within a few % of the speed of light (IMO) and plasma weapons being more akin to fast bullet speeds. (they likely could still be relativistic, but I expect they are definitely below 50% of the speed of light
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

guardiandashi wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

I always took it as particle beams and ion guns are variants of the same concept, basically there are ion guns that fire masses of electrons (mostly) proton particle beams that fire fewer but more or less electron stripped protons, and neutral particle beams that fire neutrons (which it turns out do have a charge... its just relatively small)

a plasma weapon on the other hand takes a lot more electron stripped atoms and throw them at a significantly lower speed with the particle beams generally operating within a few % of the speed of light (IMO) and plasma weapons being more akin to fast bullet speeds. (they likely could still be relativistic, but I expect they are definitely below 50% of the speed of light

plasma disks travel far below the speed of light in the anime and I don't think they're slowing it down for us to see, but it's your game.

I've always played:
PBs near relativistic sub atomic kinetic attack
Ion guns lightning gun dealing most damage through electric discharge
Plasma superheated... plasma, as in the fifth state of matter, delivered in a magnetic bottle, which is not discussed or detailed as to how it works.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Based off of the anime (which I consider base canon, even for the RPG), Invid Plasma Disks (if thats what they really are since they never say in the show) have never "stuck" when they hit something. They fly through the air, impact, then dissipate, leaving some sort of damage behind. No residual effects other than some smoke. Sometimes it produces an explosion on impact, but after the explosion subsides, the effect is over. Based off of that, no, Invid Plasma Disks do not stick around to do more damage next turn IMHO.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Kagashi wrote:Based off of the anime (which I consider base canon, even for the RPG), Invid Plasma Disks (if thats what they really are since they never say in the show) have never "stuck" when they hit something. They fly through the air, impact, then dissipate, leaving some sort of damage behind. No residual effects other than some smoke. Sometimes it produces an explosion on impact, but after the explosion subsides, the effect is over. Based off of that, no, Invid Plasma Disks do not stick around to do more damage next turn IMHO.

And YHO jives with canon which to me makes it more than JUST YHO but YSO... supported rather than humble. Guess it could be both humble and supported.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”