Legal images

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Legal images

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Hey guys in a response to a recent seemingly, hasty preemptive locking of a post requesting for images. Is there any legal source of Macross era images? Who knows what the poster intends. I know if I were asking it'd. Probably be for use on a character sheet.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Tim Wing
Explorer

Re: Legal images

Unread post by Tim Wing »

Yeah, I kinda posted without thinking last night.

I would really prefer legal downloads. I have no problem with paying for them... it's just that they don't seem to exist. Which is silly... We are living in the digital age now. As much as I like physical books, in many ways a digital copy is better.

But, yeah, if anyone knows of where I can legally purchase a download of the Macross Chronicles, I would be much obliged. If not, looks like I'll be getting them from Hobby Link Japan.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Zer0 Kay wrote:Hey guys in a response to a recent seemingly, hasty preemptive locking of a post requesting for images. Is there any legal source of Macross era images? Who knows what the poster intends. I know if I were asking it'd. Probably be for use on a character sheet.

the poster in question was looking for complete scans of a Manga book currently only released in Japan. as such, he was asking for illegal, pirated material, in violation of Forum rule #3. which is one of the ones that breaking carries the heaviest penalties. palladium does not condone or support the violation of copyright laws.
there was nothing' preemptive' about it.. by posting that thread he was in violation of rule #3 and the moderator's response was unavoidable.

had he been looking for just a specific image, he might have been ok, since individual artwork can be covered under fair use laws.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Assuming some people might have an image book, it should be okay to state the name of it and what page interesting images could be found on in case the person wants to go buy it from some Japanese collector market.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

glitterboy2098 wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:Hey guys in a response to a recent seemingly, hasty preemptive locking of a post requesting for images. Is there any legal source of Macross era images? Who knows what the poster intends. I know if I were asking it'd. Probably be for use on a character sheet.

the poster in question was looking for complete scans of a Manga book currently only released in Japan. as such, he was asking for illegal, pirated material, in violation of Forum rule #3. which is one of the ones that breaking carries the heaviest penalties. palladium does not condone or support the violation of copyright laws.
there was nothing' preemptive' about it.. by posting that thread he was in violation of rule #3 and the moderator's response was unavoidable.

had he been looking for just a specific image, he might have been ok, since individual artwork can be covered under fair use laws.

And see there we go. I was unaware Macross Chronicle was a title. I thought he was requesting images FROM the macross period of RT. Still a request for any images or sources does not specifically state that he wanted the whole book, but could also have meant he is looking for any images and want to know where to find them. But I am putting words into his mouth, so...

The locking was preemptive in that the mod can't be certain what exactly Tim was looking for, it was a request for information. He did not: perform in any of the following
Please note that downloading copyrighted material from unauthorized sources is considered an "illegal" activity. Users caught posting about pirated PDF-format RPG material or any published work will be banned on sight. The ONLY exception to this rule is discussing illegal activities in a purely gaming context. Examples: A Juicer's drug harness, the Chi-Town Black Market, etc. Just keep these in their designated forums.

The highlighted section can't be proved and it could be inferred by his statement that he doesn't want a computer virus, that he is looking for a legal copy. It isn't unheard of for comics to be released in print and digital format. Obviously the mods weren't absolutely sure or per rules he would have been instantly banned, which he was not.

It is preemptive because the mods put in there own inferrence on his request which was stated generically, able to be read either way.

That being said, the moderators are playing it safe, which is good policy, HOWEVER, they need to get details after their quick response, and after finding out the posters intent either ban them or require them to reword the post and reopen it.

Yes it is PB's property and their prerogative, but over reaction on the part of their representatives and an impression of a lack of fairness or justice makes for poor PR. A poor PR amongst ots critics is unimportant but the forums are normally its fans and friends and such a small publisher shouldn't be eager to produce poor PR amongst its base.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Tim Wing
Explorer

Unread post by Tim Wing »

Honestly, after looking back on my post, I think the mod's reaction was perfectly fair. This is what happens when I post something late at night... after about four Manhattans!

That being said, my intent was to find a legal download, if available.

They don't seem to be available though, so I shall be buying them in print format. Which is a pain.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Tim Wing wrote:Honestly, after looking back on my post, I think the mod's reaction was perfectly fair. This is what happens when I post something late at night... after about four Manhattans!

That being said, my intent was to find a legal download, if available.

They don't seem to be available though, so I shall be buying them in print format. Which is a pain.

alrighty then, I'll stop defending you. :)

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”