Write-up on the armor from Robotech the Movie/Megazon 23

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tim Wing
Explorer

Write-up on the armor from Robotech the Movie/Megazon 23

Unread post by Tim Wing »

Time to re-visit some of the de-canonized stuff from Robotech the Movie (also known as "Meh, F-it... this will do.)

Though I think the Robotech the Movie was a complete mess, the mecha and vehicles from it were great, and many of them fill in some capability holes in the UEDF.

For this file, I basically wrote it up as what I would want in a personal body armor suit if I were designing it for the myself to use on the battle field. Can't post RPG stats of course, but I think they should be pretty easy to extrapolate based on the discription and some common sense.

Main file:

http://www.robotechillustrated.com/refu ... or-system/
taalismn
Priest

Re: Write-up on the armor from Robotech the Movie/Megazon 23

Unread post by taalismn »

Indeed. I never saw the movie in question in either form, but the mecha are beautiful(cycle mecha that doesn't need attachment armor? Sign me up!).
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

Really enjoying these write ups. Keep it up!
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

The inclusion of Megazone 23 brings it to 4 distinct anime franchises which were rewritten to provide Robotech footage right...

Odd how Macross had so many sequel series which aren`t made into Robotech at all though...
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Tim Wing
Explorer

Unread post by Tim Wing »

I'm sure they would, if they could get the right's at a reasonable price. Something tell me if they did, though, the Macross fans would storm the Harmony Gold offices ISIS style.

Warning: Comparing people to members of a terrorist group just because of their taste in animation is a violation of the forums rules for flaming/trolling/harrassment.
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

Tor wrote:The inclusion of Megazone 23 brings it to 4 distinct anime franchises which were rewritten to provide Robotech footage right...

Yes, though Harmony Gold lost the rights to Megazone 23 a while after Robotech: the Movie up and bombed in its test screening, and never bothered to seek renewal of their license to it, so it's not part of Robotech anymore. (They can't legally use it.)

Tor wrote:Odd how Macross had so many sequel series which aren`t made into Robotech at all though...

Not odd at all... Harmony Gold got their (very limited) rights to the original three shows from the studio that animated them (in whole or in part), Tatsunoko Production Co. Ltd. of Tokyo. The only Macross title Tatsunoko has the distribution rights to (outside Japan) is the original series, and as Robotech's franchise basically died in 1987, there was no incentive to try to get the rights to the sequels... the rights Tatsunoko couldn't give them anyway.

Since Robotech basically died in 1987 after Sentinels and Untold Story died on the wire, there was no incentive for Harmony Gold to try to acquire the rights to sequels... especially since doing rewrites like Robotech went out of fashion in the industry by 1990. After US Renditions and Manga Entertainment got the rights to Macross II and Macross Plus, the ship had effectively sailed... and then been nuked from orbit when Harmony Gold accidentally made some fraudulent claims about its rights to Macross in '99, which basically ruined their relations with the Japanese owners.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

But I thought that the Shadow Chronicles revamp resurrected it from the dead, figured that might generate interest in acquiring licenses for the subsequent Macross material released in the interim.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

Tor wrote:But I thought that the Shadow Chronicles revamp resurrected it from the dead, [...]

Eh... the 2001 reboot of Robotech very briefly rekindled interest in Robotech, but Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles wasn't all that well-received by Robotech fans, and was basically ignored outside the fandom.

Tor wrote:[...] figured that might generate interest in acquiring licenses for the subsequent Macross material released in the interim.

Oh boy, how do I put this gently?

There was already a lot of interest in the Macross sequels among anime hobbyists in the US during the early 1990s, after Macross II was announced. The thriving import market for goods from those various Macross sequels in the late 1990s is what prompted Harmony Gold's ultimately disastrously ill-advised attempt to "protect" Robotech (ironically, the doomed Robotech 3000 project) from competition by trying to block importation of Macross goods. That ended up ruining their distant, if not cordial, relations with Macross's owners in Japan... which basically ended any chance of anyone ever giving Harmony Gold the rights to any other part of Macross, for which Macross fans are heartily grateful. It also left Harmony Gold perpetually looking over their shoulders for fear that lawyers from Big West and Studio Nue are watching their every move and waiting for a chance to sue.

There are several American distributors who have said they would be interested in pursuing licensed for other Macross titles, but they can't while Harmony Gold is using their trademark on the names and logos for the original series in the US to prevent anyone else from doing exactly that. So, for now, fans from the west just download fansubs and get their DVDs, Blu-Rays, and other goods in direct sales from online stores based in Japan.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”