The New Zentraedi Warship

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

mech798
Dungeon Crawler

The New Zentraedi Warship

Unread post by mech798 »

Or rather an old warship from some preproduction art:

Bigger than a regular zentraedi flagship with about 2x the internal volume. Now, I have my ideas what it might be used for, but what would you use it for, keeping in mind that reusing production art is a grand old tradition in robotech rpgs.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Re: The New Zentraedi Warship

Unread post by Jefffar »

If HG has the rights to use it, I could see a hybrid command/assault vessel optimized for delivering large bodies of troops to a battlezone and managing the battle.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

mech798 wrote:Bigger than a regular zentraedi flagship with about 2x the internal volume. Now, I have my ideas what it might be used for, but what would you use it for, keeping in mind that reusing production art is a grand old tradition in robotech rpgs.

Big freaking hangars? Seems like a slam dunk it's a larger version of the Quiltra Queleual-class LST designed to carry more reentry pods and other large craft like theater scouts.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Jefffar wrote:If HG has the rights to use it, I could see a hybrid command/assault vessel optimized for delivering large bodies of troops to a battlezone and managing the battle.

The large 'radome' would bear that out.

The drawback would be the putting of too many eggs in one expensive basket, rather than multiple smaller craft with greater tactical flexibility. After a few run-ins with forces that target the Big Hulking Target managing the battle, the Masters go back to the canonical fleet configuration.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

taalismn wrote:
Jefffar wrote:If HG has the rights to use it, I could see a hybrid command/assault vessel optimized for delivering large bodies of troops to a battlezone and managing the battle.

The large 'radome' would bear that out.

The drawback would be the putting of too many eggs in one expensive basket, rather than multiple smaller craft with greater tactical flexibility. After a few run-ins with forces that target the Big Hulking Target managing the battle, the Masters go back to the canonical fleet configuration.

Perhaps this is an older model that was mostly phased out for just such a reason?
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
taalismn
Priest

Jefffar wrote:
Perhaps this is an older model that was mostly phased out for just such a reason?

Indeed. The survivors got shifted to the reserve fleets as their electronics and avionics became outmoded by newer developments, and the smaller, more easily constructed ships fitted with the newer tech.

If you're using the Disciples of Zor as an enemy, then these ships can prove particularly appetizing targets or vulnerable to hack attacks(and the DoZ make off with a number of these vessels after ripping their systems and scoring (relatively) bloodless coups in taking them over.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

personally i think i'd go another way.. instead of a redundant class to do stuff we already have, i'd make it a massive supply ship, for carrying supplies for task forces that were going to be away from a factory sat for a long time. it would carry munitions, water, food, etc.. all the expendables such a task force might otherwise run low on. those large openings would be hangers for supply shuttles used for Unrep..

making it a zent equivalent of perhaps a Destroyer Tender or a Replenishment ship.. an auxiliary/support vessel, rather than a mainline combatant.

one would presume such vessels are not entirely common (since most fleets of zents would be operating close to a factory sat) but the master's would certainly be aware of the need to extend the duration of zent operations away from the factory sats, given the search for zor's ship.
Last edited by glitterboy2098 on Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
taalismn
Priest

glitterboy2098 wrote:personally i think i'd go another way.. instead of a redundant class to do stuff we already have, i'd make it a massive supply ship, for carrying supplies for task forces that were going to be away from a factory sat for a long time. it would carry munitions, water, food, etc.. all the expendables such a task force might otherwise run low on. those large openings would be hangers for supply shuttles used for Unrep..

"The DoZ just destroyed our entire supply of toilet paper."
"THE BASTARDS!!!"
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

taalismn wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:personally i think i'd go another way.. instead of a redundant class to do stuff we already have, i'd make it a massive supply ship, for carrying supplies for task forces that were going to be away from a factory sat for a long time. it would carry munitions, water, food, etc.. all the expendables such a task force might otherwise run low on. those large openings would be hangers for supply shuttles used for Unrep..

"The DoZ just destroyed our entire supply of toilet paper."
"THE BASTARDS!!!"

:lol: :lol: Still, nice drawing.
cobra73
D-Bee

Unread post by cobra73 »

I kind read somewhere that humans thought that Zentraedi fleets were composed of one large combatant supported by smaller ships, so when i wrote stats for that ship i based it on that. The vessel served as the command vessel and carried supplies such as mecha, fuel, replacement personnel, etc for the rest of the fleet. The large side hangars (the dark areas) were to make transfers easier as the ships could even dock partially into them for transfers.
Basically as newer, more capable ships were introduced, the vessel was phased out and replaced by the Flagship that appears in the series. It is possible that ships of this type were stored on the Tirolian equivalent of a ship graveyard to be found later.
taalismn
Priest

cobra73 wrote:I kind read somewhere that humans thought that Zentraedi fleets were composed of one large combatant supported by smaller ships, so when i wrote stats for that ship i based it on that. The vessel served as the command vessel and carried supplies such as mecha, fuel, replacement personnel, etc for the rest of the fleet. The large side hangars (the dark areas) were to make transfers easier as the ships could even dock partially into them for transfers.
Basically as newer, more capable ships were introduced, the vessel was phased out and replaced by the Flagship that appears in the series. It is possible that ships of this type were stored on the Tirolian equivalent of a ship graveyard to be found later.

Good enough. And the energy crisis afflicting the empire would have been an even bigger incentive not to bring the mothballed ships out of reserve even with attrition losses, since their fuel requirements would have been fairly high.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

I just use it as a old class of cruiser/destroyer....
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”