Invid Mollusk-class Carrier

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tim Wing
Explorer

Invid Mollusk-class Carrier

Unread post by Tim Wing »

First off, this is mostly just a reprint of the old uRRG article by the same name, with updated artwork. However, I have added a new section. You'll notice at the top of the article, there is a link "Invid Carrier Reference Notes". This takes you to a sub-article that list every thing we REALLY know about the Mollusk, Macross Compendium style. I did this in response to conversations in the past about how there is no "reliable" source of information concerning Robotech. I will be endeavoring to rectify this situation.

So, while the main page of the Robotech Illustrated page will continue to be speculative/fan-fiction themed, I am going to begin to add actual "hard data" to every entry, that can be used as an actual reference. Eventually, I'll set up a sub-page specifically for these articles. (Input please on how you guys would like to see the indexes structured.)

My sources for all "hard" information will be as follows:

- What is "seen" in the original TV series
- What is "heard" in the original TV series
- Robotech.com's infopedia
- The Art of Robotech the Shadow Chonicles
- The official comics
- Original source material from the various three series (Macross, Southern Cross, MOSPEADA)

Here is the big question though: Should I include the 2nd Edition RPG in the list of "canon" sources, and thus reference it in the "Reference Notes"? Thoughts on this guys?

Main article

http://www.robotechillustrated.com/all- ... a-carrier/

Reference Notes

http://www.robotechillustrated.com/spac ... k-carrier/
taalismn
Priest

Re: Invid Mollusk-class Carrier

Unread post by taalismn »

Ah yes, the Invid 'straphanger bus'. :P
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

The Carrier appears to have some FTL capacity that allowed it to join up with the Invid Phoenix (or travel outbound) that you missed mentioning IINM. This was seen in TSC.

As for using the RPG (either edition), its really your call really as this is fan-fiction. As long as its cited as a source its your call really w/what to include. Some people won't like it as a source, others are fine with it. Though asking on the RPG board if it should be used as a source could slant the feedback.
Tim Wing
Explorer

Though asking on the RPG board if it should be used as a source could slant the feedback.

True... but this is really the only active forum for Robotech, soooo.... lol.

For the Fan Fic portion, I will be using the RPG allot. And not just the 2nd edition, but the 1st edition as well. (Cause I'm old school I guess.)

For the secondary Reference Notes, I will only be using "canon" source material, with no reference to secondary sources. The Ref Notes will just be a pure distillation of fact, vs. the conjecture which are my normal files.

As for FTL, I'm not really sure what the "nature" of the "mind phoenix" really was. The best scientific explanation would be that it was the main hive taking off in a blaze of glory, and the troop carriers were dragged along in it's warp and/or fold bubble. (And please, let's not revisit THAT argument!)
Tim Wing
Explorer

eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Tim Wing wrote:
Though asking on the RPG board if it should be used as a source could slant the feedback.

True... but this is really the only active forum for Robotech, soooo.... lol.

For the Fan Fic portion, I will be using the RPG allot. And not just the 2nd edition, but the 1st edition as well. (Cause I'm old school I guess.)

For the secondary Reference Notes, I will only be using "canon" source material, with no reference to secondary sources. The Ref Notes will just be a pure distillation of fact, vs. the conjecture which are my normal files.

As for FTL, I'm not really sure what the "nature" of the "mind phoenix" really was. The best scientific explanation would be that it was the main hive taking off in a blaze of glory, and the troop carriers were dragged along in it's warp and/or fold bubble. (And please, let's not revisit THAT argument!)

Since the question of what is or is not 'canon source material' is often times a matter of holy war amongst the die hard fans, I would say that you should use what you think will work the best for what you are doing. Its not like your going to please everyone, nor is this going to be a proposal for a write up for some 'official' material.....so do what thou wilt, and have fun would be my two guide lines.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Keep it up :ok:
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Tim Wing
Explorer

Thanks guys. Right now I'm using the RPG stuff as source material, and referencing it as such. This is mainly to help build some consensous in the Robotech fan base. But the RPG material is not inviolate in my opinion. Palladium has done an outstanding job though, and I only disagree with them on a few occasions. (Such as in the case of the Southern Cross mecha being fusion powered.)
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Indeed, and you've done a good job expanding laterally on the conventional vehicles and 'also-rans'.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”