Why are Southern Cross spaceships so terrible?

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Re: Why are Southern Cross spaceships so terrible?

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

ShadowLogan wrote:Oh I agree the UEEF has no need for the full capabilities of the RFS. But if the RFS is in any operational state, they shouldn't need the help of the Kabarens or separate shipyards.

Very true, though there is no indication that any of the factory satellites are NOT perfectly functional by the time that occurs... Liberty Station is shown to be an operating shipyard able to simultaneously retrofit huge ships, many times larger than even the UEEF's largest warships, into delivery mechanisms for new weapons of planetary destruction AND built multiple colony ships larger than almost every ship the UEEF has... and it gets treated as an afterthought.

So why, then, did they need the Karbarrans to help?

Like the number of licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop... the world may never know.

ShadowLogan wrote:I've looked at that description though. That is basically what is going on. Yes there where some additional modifications, but that could be primarily to support the mounted FAST Packs, with the rest in the avionics section that wouldn't alter the airframe.

The problem is, they are maddeningly non-specific... it might be just accommodations for FAST packs, and it might not be. We have no way of knowing.

(And now you know why I prefer the OSM... where questions have ANSWERS!)
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Seto wrote:Very true, though there is no indication that any of the factory satellites are NOT perfectly functional by the time that occurs... Liberty Station is shown to be an operating shipyard able to simultaneously retrofit huge ships, many times larger than even the UEEF's largest warships, into delivery mechanisms for new weapons of planetary destruction AND built multiple colony ships larger than almost every ship the UEEF has... and it gets treated as an afterthought.

So why, then, did they need the Karbarrans to help?

Like the number of licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop... the world may never know.

The question though has to be considered at Liberty is if they where actually using the original hardware (adapted for human purposes) in these operations. There is nothing to suggest that is actually occurring though, just that they are using the facility as a dry dock to do the work themselves.

Re: the N-S deliver mechansims. Just what what do they have to retro-fit though?

Seto wrote:The problem is, they are maddeningly non-specific... it might be just accommodations for FAST packs, and it might not be. We have no way of knowing.

(And now you know why I prefer the OSM... where questions have ANSWERS!)

I agree they aren’t being specific enough. However there is very little to suggest what else was modified from the Shadow Fighter frame given Mia’s statement about them being just like regular shadow fighters w/o the Haydonite systems.

The OSM though isn’t created equal for everything and every series (SDC:SC), so questions don’t always have answers. To bad HG hasn’t done some type of Jane’s or other tech manual for RT (might require them to do some actual work, though we’re probably just as likely to get the Infopedia version in any such project).
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

ShadowLogan wrote:The question though has to be considered at Liberty is if they where actually using the original hardware (adapted for human purposes) in these operations. There is nothing to suggest that is actually occurring though, [...]

Because we never see construction actually underway (it's occurring "just offscreen") we can't really say the original hardware ISN'T being used either. Really, I don't think Liberty station should've been written into a factory satellite, but I don't dictate Harmony Gold creative policy (except in the minds of certain crazy mods on Robotech.com).

ShadowLogan wrote:Re: the N-S deliver mechansims. Just what what do they have to retro-fit though?

That's another good question we can't answer... all we're told is that the UEEF adapted the Angel-class ships to deliver the warheads, not what went into the process.

ShadowLogan wrote:I agree they aren’t being specific enough. However there is very little to suggest what else was modified from the Shadow Fighter frame given Mia’s statement about them being just like regular shadow fighters w/o the Haydonite systems.

Maia doesn't really say much about them except that they're prototypes and their shadow systems aren't properly hooked up yet. Lack of evidence is really killer here.

ShadowLogan wrote:The OSM though isn’t created equal for everything and every series (SDC:SC), so questions don’t always have answers. To bad HG hasn’t done some type of Jane’s or other tech manual for RT (might require them to do some actual work, though we’re probably just as likely to get the Infopedia version in any such project).

Yep, but for the bits most folks care about it's distressingly easy to answer this sort of thing. I could tell you what every last button does on a Ride Armor, for instance.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Am I the only one here who wants to know what all those buttons do? :D
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Seto Kaiba wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:The question though has to be considered at Liberty is if they where actually using the original hardware (adapted for human purposes) in these operations. There is nothing to suggest that is actually occurring though, [...]

Because we never see construction actually underway (it's occurring "just offscreen") we can't really say the original hardware ISN'T being used either. Really, I don't think Liberty station should've been written into a factory satellite, but I don't dictate Harmony Gold creative policy (except in the minds of certain crazy mods on Robotech.com).

ShadowLogan wrote:Re: the N-S deliver mechansims. Just what what do they have to retro-fit though?

That's another good question we can't answer... all we're told is that the UEEF adapted the Angel-class ships to deliver the warheads, not what went into the process.

ShadowLogan wrote:I agree they aren’t being specific enough. However there is very little to suggest what else was modified from the Shadow Fighter frame given Mia’s statement about them being just like regular shadow fighters w/o the Haydonite systems.

Maia doesn't really say much about them except that they're prototypes and their shadow systems aren't properly hooked up yet. Lack of evidence is really killer here.

ShadowLogan wrote:The OSM though isn’t created equal for everything and every series (SDC:SC), so questions don’t always have answers. To bad HG hasn’t done some type of Jane’s or other tech manual for RT (might require them to do some actual work, though we’re probably just as likely to get the Infopedia version in any such project).

Yep, but for the bits most folks care about it's distressingly easy to answer this sort of thing. I could tell you what every last button does on a Ride Armor, for instance.

Why am I reminded of the blueprints of the Enterprise which were published....and had no bathrooms.
Its easy to say "oh yes, we have all the answers" but since its all imaginary stuff that's being made up out of whole cloth its easy to say that.....
(its also kinda pointless. There is no real reason to invent a function for all those buttons, since in the first place your just making stuff up to fit the art anyway, and second its STILL just making up crap, only now your making up stuff simply to make up stuff and don't even have the pretext of telling the story as a justification.)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”