updates to my site pt2 : the revenge

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

updates to my site pt2 : the revenge

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

no, actually no revenge.. just couldn't pass up a "pt2: the revenge" gag..

honestly, i don't remember exactly when i stopped posting these updates, so i'll just list the stuff i've added recently..

on my EBSIS page, some minor adjustments ot the mecha page. various tweaks and corrections, but also a listing of EBSIS-only VF-1 variants. since they are the only producers of the type in the 2020's they developed their own variants.. mostly around the VF-1J and VF-1D.

VF-1 Valkyrie Variants in use by the E.B.S.I.S.:
VF-1J - The VF-1J has become the standard Valkyrie model in use, with all surviving VF-1A's either retired or refit to VF-1J specifications by 2025.
VF-1JE - Interceptor variant of the standard VF-1J, with inline two seat cockpit (derived from the VF-1D) configured for pilot and sensors officer, and upgraded radar system comparable to that found on UEDF VF-1S Valkyries.
VF-1JC - Command variant. fitted with command computer copied from UEDF VF-1S Valkyries.
VF-1D - Standard two seat trainer model.
VF-1DS - Strike variant, the second seat is optimized for a weapons officer, enhanced engines have been fitted, and wing weapon stations reinforced for additional payload (4 stations of 4000lbs each)
VEF-1 - Standard Electronic warfare variant

and yes, your eye's don't deceive you.. the command variant looks identical to all the others. what, you thought they'd make it easy to find and shoot down? :twisted:

unlike the UEG, they aren't a big fan of having higher ranking officers in aircraft with obviously different appearance and color schemes. (and frankly, the fact the UEG VF-1 variants are assigned by rank, and have different base performances? disaster waiting to happen. what idiot in the UEG thought that one up?) they also tend to use appropriate Camouflage instead of airshow schemes.. though obviously it is hard to find art of such stuff. their hardpoints are also adjusted to carry a lot of non-standard ordinance.. not just MLOP's holding the EBSIS mini's and SRM's, but also things like AMRAAM's. i'm working on a list of specialized munitions for them, actually.

i considered a variant with the ECM and HARM's off the VEF-1 but without the AWACS gear to make a pure wild weasel platform, but i'm not sure it is worth a dedicated platform.. there is no reason the Strike version couldn't carry HARM's, and i do have plans for hardpoint mounted ECM pods based off the AN/ALQ-131 Self Protection Jammer Pod used by the Polish F-16's IRL. it's updated 1970's tech so easily reverse engineerable.

adjustments have been made to the Eratta page to fix issues with the macross version OCC's that i'd missed earlier.

i've also added notes about using guided bombs (since such 'smart bombs' have been in use since the 1960's[ yet palladium lacks rules for them) and glide bombs (1970's.. and palladium still doesn't have rules for them. i know missiles are sexier, but bombs get the job done dirt cheap..)

also, on the earth mecha page i added the Cestus Urban operations mecha. a 1st war 'mini-mecha' whose tech would eventually evolve into the ASC powered armor.. performancewise the Cestus stinks, it comes from before much of the tech is perfected and miniaturized, but it makes a good example of early infantry mecha.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Re: updates to my site pt2 : the revenge

Unread post by jedi078 »

I made a few VF-1 variants based on the VF-1D which were utilized by the UEDF that carried out the same roles you've listed. I also made the difference betweenVF-1 model types within my Robotech universe a simple matter of swapping out the nose/head section. This allowed for easier production of VF-1's during the reconstruction years. The only exception was the VEF-1, which has antennae/sensors built into the wingtips (I prefer the DYRL model for the VEF-1) and after taking off the dorsal mounted radome the mecha could easily be used in the SEAD role.

VF-1I: The VF-1I Interceptor version was designed to intercept enemy air/space mecha and carry out Airborne Forward Air Controller duties. The head unit is a VF-1D style with four head lasers. The rear seat is set up for an RIO/WSO/FAC and equipped with improved fire control radar, which extended the nose of the Veritech. A few of this aircraft, derived from the VF-1D, were made during the SDF-1’s journey back to Earth.

VF-1G: This is an 'uparmored' variant used by UEDF Marines before the advent of the VF-1R. UEDF Marine units would, upon receiving a new Veritech from the factory (or after “appropriating” an UEDF Spacy, Navy, or Air Force Valkyrie) add an additional 30% of armor plating to vital areas, particularly around the engines, Main Body and cockpit. As a result, they have less (speed -20%) and maneuverability in a planetary atmosphere (-2 to dodge in flight). The added protection has on occasion meant the difference between life and death for UEDF Marine pilots in a close quarter’s combat. NOTE: I got the idea of this model from reading the online fan fic "Attention on Deck!" by Jason W. Smith.

VRF-1H: The VRF-1H is a single seat dedicated reconnaissance variant which replaces the standard head unit with the AN/DAS-5 MTS-E MULTI-SPECTRAL TARGETING SYSTEM. The AN/DAS-5 allows for pre and post strike Bomb Damage Assessment, standoff oblique photography, and laser targeting of surface targets from an airborne/ground platform. This model also contain sensor spoofers in the nose instead of nose weaponry. The VRF-1H style head was also utilized with the LRV-588.

VF-1Z: A limited production model produced from 2012 to 2014 meant to be used by Zentraedi loyal to the UEDF. The cockpit of the VF-1Z features controls labeled in Zentraedi which are similar to those found in Zentraedi fighter pod and power armors. Another feature was a fully enclosed cockpit (add ## MDC to pilots compartment), similar to that of the Fighter Pod, this gave the pilot added protection, but required them to rely on sensor readouts much like when operating Zentraedi mecha (pilots use Zent version of the weapon system skill). With the advent of the VF-1 SLEP program production of the VF-1Z was discontinued. The model saw limited service until 2018 as part of aggressor squadrons and sometimes saw service with active combat squadrons.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

glitterboy2098 wrote:i've also added notes about using guided bombs (since such 'smart bombs' have been in use since the 1960's[ yet palladium lacks rules for them) and glide bombs (1970's.. and palladium still doesn't have rules for them. i know missiles are sexier, but bombs get the job done dirt cheap..)

Palladium does have guided/smart bomb rules in both the Conbat and Beta Entry in the main RPG, possibly other books I didn't check them. Granted they may not be what you are thinking of.
Phaze
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Pirate Wisdom:
Rum is a journey, and a destination.

Unread post by Phaze »

adjustments have been made to the Eratta page to fix issues with the macross version OCC's that i'd missed earlier.

I was looking at the Errata page as I am interested in starting a Macross Era Game...

I see only a minor issue with the description of the STOL capability:

The Tunny is a STOL (Short Take Off and Landing) aircraft, designed for use on smaller airfields. it can operate off runways as small as 6000ft (1828.8 meters) fully loaded, or 3000 feet (914.4 meters) with up to 70 tons of cargo.

However STOL general definitions (it varies depending on who is making the claim):

short takeoff and landing: (DOD/NATO) The ability of an aircraft to clear a 50-foot (15 meters) obstacle within 1,500 feet (450 meters) of commencing takeoff or in landing, to stop within 1,500 feet (450 meters) after passing over a 50-foot (15 meters) obstacle. Also called STOL.

Department of Defense Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms (JP 1-02)

So a more advanced cargo lifter such as the Tunny should be able to handle 1500ft with its design load (not Max load).

I felt like being nitpicky today... :)
I'll still enjoy watching you get blown off the table while you stare in helpless wonder at Phaze's marching legions of colored perfection. -- Godsgopher
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

fair point.. i was basing the estimate relative to the C-5 galaxy, which is the same size and carry capacity as the tunny. which needs a 8,000ft runway with normal load, and more like 12,000ft with a full load. at least, according to the specs i can find.. might be wrong. according to people like Seto, the Tunny is supposed to be full VTOL.. and it does show lift jets on the front part, but i have a hard time seeing anything that big being VTOL using late 20th century tech..but lift jets and over wing vector thrust like the tunny has can be used for shorter take offs, so i figured that was a fair compromise.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Chris0013
Hero

Unread post by Chris0013 »

Why not just go with the trainer as the base model?

All planes have 2 seats and the only changes are to sensors and controls for mission. Would streamline production. Standard procedure could be for a Pilot and RIO on all planes.

Base fighter (as well as trainer)
Command fighter with upgraded command and control
Strike fighter as you describe
Interceptor as you describe
I know it is a little extreme to advocate the death penalty for stupidity...but can't we just remove all the warning labels and let nature take it's course???
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

for one, you don't need a RIO for everything. most jobs only need the one pilot. interceptors benefit from having someone to run the sensor gear and help set up long range missile shots. strike fighters benefit from having someone to run target designation gear.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

glitterboy2098 wrote:for one, you don't need a RIO for everything. most jobs only need the one pilot. interceptors benefit from having someone to run the sensor gear and help set up long range missile shots. strike fighters benefit from having someone to run target designation gear.

In my PbP games veritech's with two crewmen survive longer in combat then the single seat veritech's.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”