F-14S Supercat File complete

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tim Wing
Explorer

F-14S Supercat File complete

Unread post by Tim Wing »

taalismn
Priest

Re: F-14S Supercat File complete

Unread post by taalismn »

Didn't spot this earlier, but hell yes, I can see this.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Arnie100
Knight

Unread post by Arnie100 »

Tim, I still wanna see your versions of the VF-4 and VA-3 variable fighters.
They can't see me...Right!?
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

Cool. :ok:
Tim Wing
Explorer

Oh, both the VA-3 and VF-4 are in the works. The VA-3, in my view, will be a surface Navy only Veritech. As for the VF-4: can you say most complex and expensive Veritech ever? So much so that its production was cut short, and it lasted in service for only ten or so years... maybe less?
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Nice work Tim :ok:
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

a good summary of the real world F-14 history and service:
http://www.airvectors.net/avtomcat.html
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

Beautiful. Just beautiful.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

glitterboy2098 wrote:a good summary of the real world F-14 history and service:
http://www.airvectors.net/avtomcat.html

Thanks for the link.....it seems like the Iranian Air Force put the F-14 to good use.

In may Roboech universe a lot of military aircraft were given 'robotechnology' upgrades after the SDF-1's disappearance due to the fears of an alien invasion.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Melamber wrote:i totally approve. Personaly i am hoping someone does this for the Raptor as well...maybe even something official as a replacement for the Shadow Alphas?

In all likely hood though the F-22 Raptor doesn't exist in RT. The Global War that starts in 1989 might cause the project to be canceled/shelved instead of selected in April of 1991 (where it spends about a decade in development), or it might even push for the YF-23 to be selected instead.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

actually it does. it appear in the canon comic "From the stars", issue 3, page 1.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/ ... 56e039.jpg

and it isn't the YF-22, it is a full blown production model F-22.

so evidently they did build it, and probably used it. i suspect that they didn't build many (probably about the same # as they did in real life)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Tim Wing
Explorer

The inclusion of the F-22 in the canon comics always bugged me. In the Robotech universe, we never see the move to stealth as a design requirement that we see in the real world. Not a single design from the series has any stealth like attributes... except maybe the F-110 Falcon II, and its tall vertical tail surface ruins any stealth attributes it would have from the side.

I was going to kinda use this site as a what if page for mid eighties experimental aircraft designs. So, expect to see the F-16XL, F-15 STOL variant, the F-20 Tigershark, and others.

As for the F-22... The picture in the comic isn't exactly "pure" F-22... I might draw it up as a non-stealthy F-22. Or I might go with some of the pre YF-22 and YF-23. I'm partial to Rockwell's design concept. Also, it would be fitting if Rockwell ended up being the builder of the USAF's new fighter since they (or Stonewell) were the prime contractors for the VF-1 Valkyrie.

http://notreally.info/transport/planes/ ... mg//atfpnt
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Tim Wing wrote:The inclusion of the F-22 in the canon comics always bugged me. In the Robotech universe, we never see the move to stealth as a design requirement that we see in the real world. Not a single design from the series has any stealth like attributes... except maybe the F-110 Falcon II, and its tall vertical tail surface ruins any stealth attributes it would have from the side.

Well this is a product of the early/mid-80s where Stealth wasn't a driving factor in designs. Projections by the military call for passive stealth like on the F-22 and F-35 to lose their effectiveness w/n the life span of the design though, requiring them to adopt active stealth. Also it might resemble an F-22, but it may not be as stealthy, instead looking at it for other advanced attributes (like maneuvering, super cruise, etc).

The F-110 though might be able to make up for it w/o Radar Absorbant Material, or it can operate in two states: stealthy (remove the tail) and non-stealthy (install the tail). Also the Alpha fighter can make one think of the YF-23 design in some respects.

glitterboy2098 wrote:actually it does. it appear in the canon comic "From the stars", issue 3, page 1.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/ ... 56e039.jpg

and it isn't the YF-22, it is a full blown production model F-22.

so evidently they did build it, and probably used it. i suspect that they didn't build many (probably about the same # as they did in real life)

Eh, while it might not be the YF-22, it could still be one of the (flyable) EMD units. It doesn't prove it entered production as its at an air show.
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

Melamber wrote:yeah i think if they did bring a veritech in for stealth it would have to be a human project to replace the Shadow tech that was sabatoged by Haydonite...and for that i could totally see the Raptor being the base.

Er... why would they turn to what would, by then, be a forty year-old, hopelessly obsolete pre-robotechnology conventional jet fighter? With the Invid out of the picture, the Earth Forces don't have any real compulsion to pursue passive or active stealth on their fighter designs. The whole reason for the Shadow Fighter and all the ships using shadow devices for active stealth was to counter the Invid protoculture sensors.

After the Haydonite betrayal, their biggest concerns are 1. disposing of the faulty shadow technology systems and 2. finding ways to reliably detect shadow-stealthed Haydonite ships and mecha. There's no advantage in returning to passively radar-stealthy designs when the enemy's already shown they're more than able to spot ships and fighters protected by the best radar countermeasures in human history.

Of course, there's another reason that Robotech won't be introducing a new VF based on the F-22 at any point... let's just say the original creators have "been there, done that" about twenty years back and ripping off their work is the last thing Harmony Gold wants to be seen doing.

EDIT: Okay, technically it's more like the original creators have done it three times in total... here are the other two: the YF-24 Evolution and the YF-30 Chronos.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
Tim Wing
Explorer

Added a Reference Notes section to the F-14 file. I'll be going back and adding these to all my old posts.

http://www.robotechillustrated.com/un-s ... 14-tomcat/

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”