History and force structure of the Southern Cross

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tim Wing
Explorer

History and force structure of the Southern Cross

Unread post by Tim Wing »

So, some of you may have been wondering how I've been wasting my time for the last week or so. Well, here it is: The History and Force Structure of the UEDF (Southern Cross). This is a long read, so enjoy!

http://www.robotechillustrated.com/uedf ... structure/

As always, a link to the Facebook page as well:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Robotech ... 099?ref=hl
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Re: History and force structure of the Southern Cross

Unread post by jaymz »

nice :ok:
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

:shock: Wow, great job! Lots of details! :D :ok:
Tim Wing
Explorer

Thanks guys! I was a little worried about how it would be received since it differs from the Palladium material a bit.
Arnie100
Knight

Unread post by Arnie100 »

I'm waiting to see what you do with the Expeditionary Force and *ahem* the Marines...
They can't see me...Right!?
Chris0013
Hero

Unread post by Chris0013 »

End of the 4th paragraph. You put succeeded instead of seceded
I know it is a little extreme to advocate the death penalty for stupidity...but can't we just remove all the warning labels and let nature take it's course???
Tim Wing
Explorer

@ Chris0013: Duh!

Thanks man! I'm giving my editor his pink slip today!

As for the REEF structure, I'll be posting that eventually. I have the Marines being a pretty small group within the UEEF, With their own dedicated CAS units operating Alphas. I plan on a pretty wordy description about how they were the progenitors of Space Borne operations during the Sentinels campaign, yada yada... I'm hoping the source book comes out before I get around to this though, as I would like to align my description with the RPG as much as is possible.

Oh, and posting a link to the Regult file I just finished, time now.
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

Wow, I like it. Although SC is my least favorite of the series, I really appreciate and enjoy the effort put into making it a cohesive, somewhat understandable setting.

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

Nice write up!

Although I would've thought that the 'Treaty of the Southern Cross' would have been signed in 2013 since we know that (per the RPG) the ASC is around in 2013.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
MilkManX
Wanderer
Comment: Not a fan boy or a purist. I like to play Robotech because the game world is fun and interesting much like the 1985 show.

Unread post by MilkManX »

This page is awesome!!! Love it. Good stuff. Makes HG's page look pretty bad....
http://robotechfans.proboards.com

You're out here on your own.
Lonely soldier boy.
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

You should put a bit in there regarding how the UEG gets all of it's troops.

Here is what I have in my Robotech games.
Membership within the UEG
Gaining membership in the UEG is relatively easy for a nation state. The nation state pays taxes in the form of money or natural resources, to include providing personnel to the UEDF. The UEG does not care how personal are allocated to the UEDF as long as they are healthy, and (supposedly) have not committed any serious crimes (i.e. no felony offenses). The UEG does not care where potential military personnel come from as long as it receives its quota of military personal based upon the nation states population. As a result some nation states conscript soldiers to meet the quota established by the UEG, to include off loading their criminals.

Enlistment in the UEDF
The normal enlistment within the UEDF is six years with an additional four years in the in active ready reserve for most personnel. But for mecha and aircraft pilots the enlistment is for a period of eight years, and an additional four years in the in active ready reserve. Serving with the UEDF means one is a UEG citizen and can vote in UEG elections. Furthermore UEF military personnel who successfully compete a term of service are eligible for education, home loans and if they wish land holdings on colony worlds.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Tim Wing
Explorer

Good point jedi078... I think one could go either way with this. Because the UEDF would be offering wages and benefits consistent with western armies, they could probably go the all volunteer route. However, they would run the risk of having an imbalanced army, with numbers favoring some nations over others. For a guy living on less than a dollar a day in Africa, the UEDF would sound like a great option! Plus recruits would be required to be able to speak English... Lots of variables. I'm going to think on this today while I'm supposed to be working!
jedi078
Champion

Unread post by jedi078 »

Tim Wing wrote:Good point jedi078... I think one could go either way with this. Because the UEDF would be offering wages and benefits consistent with western armies, they could probably go the all volunteer route. However, they would run the risk of having an imbalanced army, with numbers favoring some nations over others. For a guy living on less than a dollar a day in Africa, the UEDF would sound like a great option! Plus recruits would be required to be able to speak English... Lots of variables. I'm going to think on this today while I'm supposed to be working!

In my 'reason for joining table' there is a 20% chance of being a conscript and a 5% chance of being a criminal. This option provides for the beginning of an interesting character background.

Don't forget about the thousands (or millions?) of Zents willing to fight for humanity. Granted only the most trusted would be able to pilot a mecha but there would be plenty need for infantrymen.
Tim Wing
Explorer

Honestly, I think I could write a whole article on terms of service, recruiting, compensation, national/racial make up etc...

Also, I think that it would be permissible for Zentraedi to join and be mecha pilots. That was certainly the case with the UEEF/REF. But this also brings into the question the rate of aging for a Zentraedi. Assuming that all were in the prime of their years as military age males (18-45) during the rain of death, that would mean the youngest Zentraedi would be 36 by the time of the Second Robotech War, making theses dude all senior NCOs and Officers. Add in the fact that Zentraedi would be less inclined to retire at twenty years of service, I would think there would be a large portion of of them in the upper ranks... barring the influences of racism on the part of us Earthlings!
jedi078
Champion

Unread post by jedi078 »

Tim Wing wrote:Honestly, I think I could write a whole article on terms of service, recruiting, compensation, national/racial make up etc...

If you want any help let me know.

Tim Wing wrote:Also, I think that it would be permissible for Zentraedi to join and be mecha pilots. That was certainly the case with the UEEF/REF. But this also brings into the question the rate of aging for a Zentraedi. Assuming that all were in the prime of their years as military age males (18-45) during the rain of death, that would mean the youngest Zentraedi would be 36 by the time of the Second Robotech War, making theses dude all senior NCOs and Officers. Add in the fact that Zentraedi would be less inclined to retire at twenty years of service, I would think there would be a large portion of of them in the upper ranks... barring the influences of racism on the part of us Earthlings!

I think for a Zent to be a mecha pilot they'd have to prove themselves first. But I do have write ups to train Zents to pilot human mecha.

Keep in mind that Dana was only the 1st human/Zent Hybrid. There would have been others. They could have also been children born from Zent parents too. Regardless, most of these earth born would be just barley eligible for military service in 2029. A few like Dana would have attended military prep schools and then military academy's and would have been freshly minted officers when the war kicked off.

As for Zent aging I think they age normally but spend a lot of time in stasis between conflicts/wars. Or maybe a quick re-size in the micro/macronization chamber resets a Zents age? I have the micro/macronization chamber replace lost limbs for Zents in my games (just not eyes, or reproductive organs).

In my Robotech timeline I have the ASC battling the Malcontents up until right before the Robotech Masters arrive. I did this mostly in part to accommodate my character generation tables so if you by chance roll up a guy with 20 years of service they have a chance to see action. I even listed major conflicts and battles that occurred throughout the years so a character could note they were there.

My personal opinion is that most Zent who wanted to fight for humanity ended up joining the Expeditionary Force. I even gave them their own military branch commander by Breetai.
Protoculture

Unread post by Protoculture »

Tim Wing wrote:Honestly, I think I could write a whole article on terms of service, recruiting, compensation, national/racial make up etc...

Also, I think that it would be permissible for Zentraedi to join and be mecha pilots. That was certainly the case with the UEEF/REF. But this also brings into the question the rate of aging for a Zentraedi. Assuming that all were in the prime of their years as military age males (18-45) during the rain of death, that would mean the youngest Zentraedi would be 36 by the time of the Second Robotech War, making theses dude all senior NCOs and Officers. Add in the fact that Zentraedi would be less inclined to retire at twenty years of service, I would think there would be a large portion of of them in the upper ranks... barring the influences of racism on the part of us Earthlings!

Hmmm, I think I've covered that in my previous RT historical fan essays covering Malcontent era. I postulated that surviving Zentraedis are divided into 3 factions, the ones that went malcontent, the ones that sided with UEG, and the ones that anti UEG and joined EBSIS.

After the Malcontent Crisis was contained, majority of Zentraedi civillians who're pro-UEG initially lose heart over perceived discriminations and persecutions of their brethrens simply packed up and join up the UEEF efforts either as combatants or becoming colonists for long-range migration colonisation efforts to deep space. Those who did not joined UEEF were quickly assimilated into humanity and those former Malcontents simply joined EBSIS.

Post 2nd RT War, many off-world 2nd and 3rd gen Zentraedi colonists and UEEF's Zents' combatants intermarried with their human counterparts and Tyrolians survivors and fully integrated or assimilated into the larger Humanity collectives (at this point even Tyrolians suffered the same fate of Zentraedi, as their younger generations imbibed pervasive Terran pop-culture).

Those still remained on Earth would fallen prey to Invid, herded to concentration camps by Invid overlords and their human collaborators. Over the period of more than a decade hunted on Earth and systematic ethnic cleansing, Zents would be extinct by 2044 on Earth.
Tim Wing
Explorer

Hmmm, I think I've covered that in my previous RT historical fan essays covering Malcontent era. I postulated that surviving Zentraedis are divided into 3 factions, the ones that went malcontent, the ones that sided with UEG, and the ones that anti UEG and joined EBSIS.

After the Malcontent Crisis was contained, majority of Zentraedi civillians who're pro-UEG initially lose heart over perceived discriminations and persecutions of their brethrens simply packed up and join up the UEEF efforts either as combatants or becoming colonists for long-range migration colonisation efforts to deep space. Those who did not joined UEEF were quickly assimilated into humanity and those former Malcontents simply joined EBSIS.

Post 2nd RT War, many off-world 2nd and 3rd gen Zentraedi colonists and UEEF's Zents' combatants intermarried with their human counterparts and Tyrolians survivors and fully integrated or assimilated into the larger Humanity collectives (at this point even Tyrolians suffered the same fate of Zentraedi, as their younger generations imbibed pervasive Terran pop-culture).

Those still remained on Earth would fallen prey to Invid, herded to concentration camps by Invid overlords and their human collaborators. Over the period of more than a decade hunted on Earth and systematic ethnic cleansing, Zents would be extinct by 2044 on Earth.

This was pretty much my view as well. Except for the "extinct" part. I think the number of Zentraedi on Earth would have been greatly reduced by the end of the Invid Occupation, but extinct is an awe awfully BIG word! lol.
Protoculture

Unread post by Protoculture »

Tim Wing wrote:

This was pretty much my view as well. Except for the "extinct" part. I think the number of Zentraedi on Earth would have been greatly reduced by the end of the Invid Occupation, but extinct is an awe awfully BIG word! lol.

Perhaps extinct is a wrong word. Greatly diminished ... or reduced, yes. I choose 'extinct' because the 2nd Ed RPG RT: New Gen / RT: Genesis Pit mentioned that Invid forces aggressively hunted Zentraedi / Tyrolian clones with a vengeance. Given Zentraedi / Tyroloid bioroid clones ingrained programming to fight the Invid - their sworn eternal enemy - to the bitter end, one can saw that being a full blooded Zents / Tyrolians in an Invid-occupied Earth warranted an immediate bounty from the Invid. Humans who're Invid collaborators and those who don't wished for an Invid reprisals would be more than happy to give the Invid on Zent / Tyrolians hideouts.
Tim Wing
Explorer

Perhaps extinct is a wrong word. Greatly diminished ... or reduced, yes. I choose 'extinct' because the 2nd Ed RPG RT: New Gen / RT: Genesis Pit mentioned that Invid forces aggressively hunted Zentraedi / Tyrolian clones with a vengeance. Given Zentraedi / Tyroloid bioroid clones ingrained programming to fight the Invid - their sworn eternal enemy - to the bitter end, one can saw that being a full blooded Zents / Tyrolians in an Invid-occupied Earth warranted an immediate bounty from the Invid. Humans who're Invid collaborators and those who don't wished for an Invid reprisals would be more than happy to give the Invid on Zent / Tyrolians hideouts.

Exactly. I figure a few would be hiding out in the jungles of the old Control Zones, and many others working with human freedom fighters, and thus surviving... but that's it. If I were to put a number to it, I would say a 75% reduction of the Zentraedi population.
Tim Wing
Explorer

@ Jedi078

Tim Wing wrote:
Honestly, I think I could write a whole article on terms of service, recruiting, compensation, national/racial make up etc...

Hey, Jedi, you want to write something up for this?
jedi078
Champion

Unread post by jedi078 »

Tim Wing wrote:@ Jedi078

Tim Wing wrote:

Hey, Jedi, you want to write something up for this?

Sure I could do up a rough draft...I'll probably start with a brief history of how the UN Spacy got all of it's military power, and work from there up to your Southern Cross Treaty Conference in Darwin Australia in 2018.

PM me as to where to send it.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”