leader type invid in the early occupation

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

leader type invid in the early occupation

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

as those who watched the show know, the Enforcer, and later the human-forms and their Commander mecha, both first appeared near the end of the occupation, about a year before the last battle of reflex point.

prior to then, the only invid we see are the flying scouts and armored scouts, the ground based troopers and shocktroopers, and the roughly human sized soldiers.

however, the RPG's details on patrols and hives all include the Enforcers and Human-form invid. prior to 2043ish, what would have filled these command roles?

from the show we seem to see special scouts and troopers (uniquely, one of each with a blue eye instead of red), but since the voiceover is the exact same as the regis, despite having what seem to be a first person tone (where it seems the dialog comes from the mecha) it is hard to tell whether the mecha itself is the commander, or if the Regis is just micromanaging by remote.

i would welcome thoughts on this.

slighlty related question. if the leadertype was destroyed, how would the rest of the invid with it react?
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: leader type invid in the early occupation

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Given the animation and dialogue, the Enforcer itself may not be as "new" as dialogue (from NG team) suggests in "Annie's Wedding":
-IF we consider the Sentinels OVA, the Enforcer is present
-"Sand Storms" also has the mecha in question as part of the search team outside the cave (this is an episode before AW)

Based on the above two incidents I would have to say that the Enforcer is simply more rare than new (at least in RT, GCM may be a different story entirely).

The Regis might employ Urban Enforcers (Wolfe's contact, NYC foot patrol) as commanders, similar to how the Regent does in the Sent. OVA (again IF that OVA is considered).

As for what happens to an Invid unit when the ""leader" becomes incapacitated... I think we can draw some conclusions from when the Invid Brain is destroyed in "The Fortress".
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

when the Enforcers fly out of the hive in annies wedding, even lancer doesn't recognize them, and they get a pretty good look. so while they might not have started there, they certainly are new enough that people closely connected to the resistance don't know them.

and i'd discount the sentinels animation.. that was a cut-and-paste from new gen, and while they still use elements of the larger planned sentinals plot, they seem to have greatly reworked it, to the point the sentinels pilot probably no longer applies.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

I don't know about that gb2098. The Enforcer is still rare compared to the Commander Battloid, but the team did encounter it before "Annie's Wedding" and no one said a darn thing (though visibility was poor, and they might have already been inside the cave before the patrol arrived), so it could be older than it appears, but one that also keeps a low profile.
MilkManX
Wanderer
Comment: Not a fan boy or a purist. I like to play Robotech because the game world is fun and interesting much like the 1985 show.

Unread post by MilkManX »

Going from memory of watching both Robotech New Gen and Mospeada I would say early on the The Scout with the Blue Eye was a sort of leader for the other Scouts and the ShockTroopers. They had the Enforcers but they seemed to be more in human areas/invid farms hench their human size.(the Regent has the RED enforcers which are much taller than the regular ones)

The REGIS evolves her units to create newer classes as the Gamu(Pincher in the old RPG) and finally for the human like Invid the Royal Command Battloid.
http://robotechfans.proboards.com

You're out here on your own.
Lonely soldier boy.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

MilkManX wrote:Going from memory of watching both Robotech New Gen and Mospeada I would say early on the The Scout with the Blue Eye was a sort of leader for the other Scouts and the ShockTroopers. They had the Enforcers but they seemed to be more in human areas/invid farms hench their human size.(the Regent has the RED enforcers which are much taller than the regular ones)

The REGIS evolves her units to create newer classes as the Gamu(Pincher in the old RPG) and finally for the human like Invid the Royal Command Battloid.

be aware of the terminology update.. HG and the new RPG uses the show's names. the 'enforcer' is this one in the show: Invid Enforcer

and the smaller one your thinking of is the 'Soldier': Invid Soldier

and your absolutely right. in the show, early on before the Enforcer arrives, we see scouts (and IIRC a trooper) with a blue eye that seem to act as leaders for the invid. going by the transformations we are shown, it is likely that the blue eye'd mecha we see are various stages of life for Corg.

and yes, they seem to use the smaller Soldier for dealing directly with humans. they also seem to use them for hive defense, though given the main hive we see is a converted human base, it could just be the invid soldiers were there because they fit into the base better.

i was just curious as to how people would handle these leader types.. it seems like it would be a bad idea to use a group wide bonus, like we see with the command type VF's and destroids in the RPG (where networking with one provides init and dodge bonuses) because if you give that to the leader type scouts and troopers, you'd really have to add them to the enforcers and commander mecha as well. but i'm not sure that just adding a few individual bonuses to that specific mecha really help with the leadership aspect.
Last edited by glitterboy2098 on Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

glitterboy2098 wrote:
MilkManX wrote:Going from memory of watching both Robotech New Gen and Mospeada I would say early on the The Scout with the Blue Eye was a sort of leader for the other Scouts and the ShockTroopers. They had the Enforcers but they seemed to be more in human areas/invid farms hench their human size.(the Regent has the RED enforcers which are much taller than the regular ones)

be aware of the terminology update.. HG and the new RPG uses the show's names. the 'enforcer' is this one in the show: Invid Enforcer

and the smaller one your thinking of is the 'Soldier': [url=http://www.robotech.com/infopedia/mecha/viewmecha.php?id=62[/url]

and your absolutely right. in the show, early on before the Enforcer arrives, we see scouts (and IIRC a trooper) with a blue eye that seem to act as leaders for the invid. going by the transformations we are shown, it is likely that the blue eye'd mecha we see are various stages of life for Corg.

and yes, they seem to use the smaller Soldier for dealing directly with humans. they also seem to use them for hive defense, though given the main hive we see is a converted human base, it could just be the invid soldiers were there because they fit into the base better.

i was just curious as to how people would handle these leader types.. it seems like it would be a bad idea to use a group wide bonus, like we see with the command type VF's and destroids in the RPG (where networking with one provides init and dodge bonuses) because if you give that to the leader type scouts and troopers, you'd really have to add them to the enforcers and commander mecha as well. but i'm not sure that just adding a few individual bonuses to that specific mecha really help with the leadership aspect.

maybe its me but I would have the "leader types" give the invid better "reaction times to changing circumstances"

From most of what I read the low level invid on their own aren't terribly bright so having them do totally stupid things is in character like its chasing a cyclone the cyclone manages to get out of sight ... and if it doesn't re-spot it within 1-2 actions it forgets about it and goes back to whatever it was doing before the encounter. a "leader" might get it to keep looking until the leader "forgets" say a minute or so.

so I might go with something like this as a guideline:
level 1 invid ~1 melee attention span (15 seconds)
level 2 invid ~30 seconds to 1 minute attention span
level 3 invid ~1-5 min attention span
level 4 invid ~5-30 min attention span
level 5 invid ~human attention span

of course as they get higher caste they also get "smarter" and more human like in their motivations and such.
MilkManX
Wanderer
Comment: Not a fan boy or a purist. I like to play Robotech because the game world is fun and interesting much like the 1985 show.

Unread post by MilkManX »

glitterboy2098 wrote:

and the smaller one your thinking of is the 'Soldier': [url=http://www.robotech.com/infopedia/mecha/viewmecha.php?id=62[/url]

Thanks! Yeah I played so much of Robotech 1st Ed that those names really stuck to me.
http://robotechfans.proboards.com

You're out here on your own.
Lonely soldier boy.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”