The Bakri Caliphate, Late reconstruction period 2020's

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

The Bakri Caliphate, Late reconstruction period 2020's

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

just some brief notes on one of the groups which will play a big role in the EBSIS's late reconstruction period activities.

obviously still a work in progress..

The Bakri Caliphate and The cult of The Last
Trans-Saharan North Africa

led by Khalid Bakri, a former Algerian Islamist rebel, who leads the Islamist cult "the Last". he is the leader of this group, teaching Qutbism and the belief that the rain of death was God's punishment for allowing non-islamics to corrupt Islamic law and faith. Khalid Bakri is seen as a prophet by many north african's, and his message is the purification of the world by the sword

The Bakri Caliphate is the nation that grew out of the cult, which controls much of what remains of Morrocco, Algeria, Libya, Mali, and the other trans-saharan nations.

the caliphate is divided into Jund's, or military centers, generally centered around a surviving city. the Junds serve as the assembly point for the volunteer forces that comprise most of the Caliphate's fighting force, and also serve as armory's that build, convert, repair, and rearm the weapons the Caliphate's warbands use.

Each Jund has a military guard force and an islamist religious police force, for their internal defense, but the main military force is the Rashidun, the army of the faithful. comprised of irregular sized units and armed with an eclectic mix of weapons and light vehicles, it is the Caliphate's field army. Relying heavily on guerrilla tactics, the Rashidun expands the Caliphate through the simple message. convert or die. at the core each Jund's section of the Rashidun are the mubarizun, the elite units. drawn from the most faithful and skilled believers, these small but capable units form the cadre for the Rashidun, supplying officers and leadership as well as combat power. all mubarizun units are rare, but much feared in the region.

the North African Region was hit hard by the Rain of death, but conditions there are little changed. the Caliphate has salvaged as much as they can from the ruins of the old states whose land they now control, but still relies heavily on irregular forces and patchwork fighting vehicles (technicals) to provide their combat power. access to heavy combat vehicles and mecha (mostly captured UEG mecha and zentreadi mecha based IMU's) is limited to the Mubarizun. the only heavy combat units available to the Rashidun are Tanks, mostly old soviet T-55's and T-72's.

helpful links:
Qutibism
Mubarizun
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
SRoss
Knight

Re: The Bakri Caliphate, Late reconstruction period 2020's

Unread post by SRoss »

Sort of a ROBOTECH version of ISIS.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

i cam up with it while taking classes on the Islamist movements in the middle east and africa, which at the time didn't include ISIL, but ISIL is just the most recent in a long string of such movements.

except this group is Qutbibist, while ISIL is wahabbist/Salafi. different ideologies.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
SRoss
Knight

Unread post by SRoss »

glitterboy2098 wrote:i cam up with it while taking classes on the Islamist movements in the middle east and africa, which at the time didn't include ISIL, but ISIL is just the most recent in a long string of such movements.

except this group is Qutbibist, while ISIL is wahabbist/Salafi. different ideologies.

Certainly makes an interesting opponent for a group of players. Might be interesting to see what happens to the Caliphate in the different periods. We know there was a major Southern Cross based resistance group in North Africa during the Invid occupation. Does this mean they're destined to be crushed by the ASC, or just driven south?
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

current plan is to have them be taken out before 2030. combination of UEDF/ASC and the EBSIS. the cult would be a thorn in the side of earth after that, but not as a political element.

bsically the caliphate manages to tick off both the UEG and the EBSIS, leading to a north african campaign to neutralize the caliphate as a threat. the UEG and the EBSIS conduct the war seperately, leading to some confusion and an occasional skirmish.

but that, combined with events near the end of the war (the start of the central african campaign) will lead to the UEG and EBSIS working out terms of co-existence to try and avoid future conflicts between them.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Should be interesting, if only for the history behind it. Most Robotech future histories usually gloss over the region and its peoples as being 'wasteland'.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

taalismn wrote:Most Robotech future histories usually gloss over the region and its peoples as being 'wasteland'.

which means it isn't much changed from the current trans-saharan.. :lol:

the Sahara and other deserts are real world evidence that 'wastelands' can still have civilization. most people just try to avoid the islamic nations because they don't want to deal with the religious politics. but i find them interesting, and the recent examples of mali, libya, Syria, and iraq have shown that even a force poor in equipment can achieve some very major results, so the 'wasteland' aspect is not as big of a deal.

plus they make for a very different type of conflict. even after the Caliphate is defeated, the ASC and EBSIS would need to occupy the region to ensure it stays peaceful, giving an excuse for some lower key conflict in the late reconstruction, and explain why the invid era ASC force was in the region to begin with. and it gives an enemy that isn't just another humans vs aliens story.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Is this supposed to replace 1E's Islamic Republic in Africa and a separate group (tribe) known as "The Last", both of which get a mention in "New World Order"?
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

ShadowLogan wrote:Is this supposed to replace 1E's Islamic Republic in Africa and a separate group (tribe) known as "The Last", both of which get a mention in "New World Order"?

Big planet..,..they could still be out there. The politics betweeen the various groups would be MOST interesting.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Chris0013
Hero

Unread post by Chris0013 »

As I safe in assuming they are more of a conventional military as opposed to a mecha based military??
I know it is a little extreme to advocate the death penalty for stupidity...but can't we just remove all the warning labels and let nature take it's course???
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

actually shadowlogan is mostly correct. this is my attempt to reinvision both groups into a more coherant form. 1st ed's islamic republic didn't really work from an islamic perspective, because while it carried the islamic title, it was an almost secular entity. and "the last" as a small band of ragged refugees was kinda pointless.

so now we have the "the last" being a cult, seeing itself as the last "true" followers of islam. and the political entity that the cult helped build, the Caliphate.

i have plans for several other african nations in the Sahel and east african regions, but most of those will only get a name drop and borders on a map, since they won't really be much more than minor players, being connected to the UEG or EBSIS.

Chris0013 wrote:As I safe in assuming they are more of a conventional military as opposed to a mecha based military??

yes. they have some mecha, but all are either what survived in the region or captured UEG/EBSIS/Zent stuff. and a lot of that would not be in the best repair, with inexpertly patched armor, mishmashed ammo loads, etc. mostly they rely on conventional tanks for heavy firepower, some artillery and SAM's, but mostly things like APC's and armed civilian vehicles. look at what was used in Libya, Syria, and so on for inspiration. so rocket (SRM) launchers and aircraft minimissile pods welded into the backs of trucks, anti-aircraft guns towed or put onto semi-beds, etc.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Defender_X
Explorer

Unread post by Defender_X »

sounds like the franken-mecha rules would work for both mecha and vees. Not to mention a chance to pull out some old mdc vees from 1st edition, update and then turn them into a Frankenstein monstrosity of parts.
I get that many attacks with my beam cannons?!
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

one of the nice things about this group is a lot of the ground vehicles can be pulled from the SDC games of PB's. the Tanks can be found in the Modern weapons compendium for example, they just need some quick entries for variable MDC added to main body and turret, and then some stats for cannon. (since the Compendium stuff is not really scaled well.)

the technicals can basically be vehicles pulled from SF or dead reign, with just a few guides to what kinds of weapons can be fitted on.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

glitterboy2098 wrote:actually shadowlogan is mostly correct. this is my attempt to reinvision both groups into a more coherant form. 1st ed's islamic republic didn't really work from an islamic perspective, because while it carried the islamic title, it was an almost secular entity. and "the last" as a small band of ragged refugees was kinda pointless.

Well according to the maps in "New World Order" (end of the book), the IAPR is geographically separate from the Caliphate as described, with the exception of a small overlap possibly (note the assessment is based on specific named countries in the BC description).

glitterboy2098 wrote:one of the nice things about this group is a lot of the ground vehicles can be pulled from the SDC games of PB's. the Tanks can be found in the Modern weapons compendium for example, they just need some quick entries for variable MDC added to main body and turret, and then some stats for cannon. (since the Compendium stuff is not really scaled well.)

the technicals can basically be vehicles pulled from SF or dead reign, with just a few guides to what kinds of weapons can be fitted on.

Rifts Mercenaries, Merc Ops, and CS Navy might also be useful for the GAW gear to (though Merc Ops tends to be stated out as MDC structures where the others are more SDC in MDC world). Even Chipwell PA (Mercenaries) might be useful as a home brewed counter to ASC PA infantry. Then there is the old 1E RDF Manual with the EBSIS fighter craft.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

ShadowLogan wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:actually shadowlogan is mostly correct. this is my attempt to reinvision both groups into a more coherant form. 1st ed's islamic republic didn't really work from an islamic perspective, because while it carried the islamic title, it was an almost secular entity. and "the last" as a small band of ragged refugees was kinda pointless.

Well according to the maps in "New World Order" (end of the book), the IAPR is geographically separate from the Caliphate as described, with the exception of a small overlap possibly (note the assessment is based on specific named countries in the BC description).

since new world order is a 1st edition book, and the caliphate is a 2nd edition idea, tis does not matter.

similar to how i've taken the old Strike Force mecha and made them EBSIS stuff, or how i've taken the idea of the EBSIS and drastically reworked it, the caliphate is taking elements from the old game and rewrotking them to fit into the new.

the 1st edition stuff just does not fit into the more canonical setting of 2nd ed.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”