Hello there Mr. Mystery Academy Mecha...

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Hello there Mr. Mystery Academy Mecha...

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

Well, this is an interesting development. Seems there is a mecha (looks to be a fighter) that zooms right past at the end of the video...

Academy Mystery Mecha (01)

Academy Mystery Mecha (02)

Edit: Mystery appears to be solved...its a Sylphide (likely flying almost inverted to the camera). Either that or something that REALLY looks close...

Sylphide?
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Re: Hello there Mr. Mystery Academy Mecha...

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

I don't see it, the units flying in the background have the look of the 3 box-pods being on the bottom, I can't see the similarities to the Shrewfield fighter.
Looks alot Like an up-armed Ajax IMO...
and IMO, TPTMBG @ HG wouldn't use the Shrewfield for anything since someone has crusaded for years over what they classify as a "dialog error".
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
SRoss
Knight

Unread post by SRoss »

From what I see in those images, I think it's a Garfish.
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

SRoss wrote:From what I see in those images, I think it's a Garfish.

's gotta be either out of the MOSPEADA OSM or original, anything else is lawsuit fodder.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

Seto Kaiba wrote:

's gotta be either out of the MOSPEADA OSM or original, anything else is lawsuit fodder.

And you have proof of this claim?
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

I thought so for a few too... but it looks to have some kinda wings on the side. could be a modified Garfish.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Rabid Southern Cross Fan wrote:
Seto Kaiba wrote:'s gotta be either out of the MOSPEADA OSM or original, anything else is lawsuit fodder.

Simply put, my friend... the content of the Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross is the copyrighted property of Big West, as listed on Tatsunoko's web site and elsewhere. Harmony Gold couldn't legally use a piece of Southern Cross IP for new animation without Big West's permission, which is why they've had to avoid showing identifiable Southern Cross designs in new animation... hence why not!Jeanne wears a MOSPEADA riding suit (Bartley type) instead of her Arming Doublet in the original animation they made for their version of Love Live Alive.

Tatsunoko can only authorize the use of intellectual property for which they hold the copyright, and since the only one of Robotech's three component shows that Tatsunoko owns the intellectual property of happens to be Genesis Climber MOSPEADA... that tends to narrow the suspects for the origin of that "mystery design". Unless Harmony Gold craves a lawsuit, and all evidence suggests they do not, that can only be one of two things... a MOSPEADA design for which use was authorized by Tatsunoko, or new material created for the project.

Since the Robotech Academy story supposedly will focus on the training of troops at Mars, and even appears to place the academy on either Phobos or Deimos, it makes sense that it'd use a MOSPEADA or MOSPEADA-inspired set of designs, for consistency with all the rest of the UEEF inventory, which consists exclusively of MOSPEADA and MOSPEADA-inspired designs.

EDIT: Emphasis added, to drive home the important point for the benefit of those who didn't read.
Last edited by Seto Kaiba on Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

pretty sure it is a garfish like ship.. head on the thing has a garfish like profile, just with some stuff sticking out the sides (can't tell what they are, but look like sensor dishes or something to me.)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/glitterboy2098/unknownrobotechmecha-ship_zps9a0066e9.png
Last edited by glitterboy2098 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Arnie100
Knight

Unread post by Arnie100 »

The mecha designs would have to be original or based off Mospeada if HG wants to avoid a lawsuit...Oops Seto beat me to it...
Last edited by Arnie100 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
They can't see me...Right!?
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Rabid Southern Cross Fan wrote:
Seto Kaiba wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Dime ... Production
"Unlike the previous two series, Southern Cross was created and produced almost entirely by Tatsunoko, with mechanical designs by its sister studio Ammonite."
I mean if anyone actually has links to contrary sources, they could proved them. I'm actually giving a source, I'd like to see others have the same respect for the forums and provide proof for their conjectures.
Last edited by Colonel Wolfe on Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seto Kaiba
Knight

Arnie100 wrote:The mecha designs would have to be original or based off Mospeada if HG wants to avoid a lawsuit...Oops Seto beat me to it...

Yep... the Southern Cross designs are off the table for much the same reason the Macross ones are. The development of a series is invariably done in a work-for-hire arrangement, meaning the copyright belongs to the party that funded the development and production. This is why even though the animation for all three of Robotech's component shows was done by Tatsunoko, it's only MOSPEADA which Tatsunoko owns the IP for. The development of both Macross and Southern Cross was paid for by Big West, which is why Tatsunoko lists Big West as the copyright holder on their website. It was Tatsunoko who bankrolled MOSPEADA's development, so they own that one free and clear and can do what they please with it.

Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Arnie100 wrote:The mecha designs would have to be original or based off Mospeada if HG wants to avoid a lawsuit...

I guess going by http://www.tatsunoko.co.jp/
Tatsunoko owns the CR to both Mospeda and Macross w/o any involvement of Bigwest...
Spoiler:
http://www.tatsunoko.co.jp/works_animation/archive/macross.html
"Macross"
June 1983 - October 1982: broadcast in 1982: Format: 30 minutes produced all 36 episodes
Commentary
Take the variable fighter Valkyrie that transforms into a three-stage, youth sculptured group of young pilots who fight against the enemy, Zentraedi forces of humanity along with the giant space battleship Macross. Novel idea that was included in everywhere, had a tremendous impact on the anime later work.
Copyright © TATSUNOKO PRODUCTION. All rights reserved.

http://www.tatsunoko.co.jp/works_animat ... spida.html
"Mospeada"
◆ aired: 25 (1984) March 1984 - October 2, 1983, Fuji TV, 9:30 to 10:00 every Sunday morning, all 25 times ◆ work Format: Color / 30 minutes one complete story
Commentary
Mankind Nigenobi to Mars under attack of the universe life-pits of mystery, Earth recapture work armed with bike type variable armor weapons Mospeada | to start the war. SF Gunzou drama depicting the youth friendship and boys to fight in order to sprint in the wilderness, and Nikki win freedom.

http://www.tatsunoko.co.jp/works_animat ... cross.html

"The Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross group"
September 1984 - April 1984: broadcast in 1984: Format: 30 minutes produced all 23 episodes
Commentary
Humanity left the earth, he moved to colonize planets Gurorie is subject to attack alien Sol to claim the indigenous rights of the star. Battle robot animation depicting the youth plunge girl soldiers in battle dressed in armor suit, multiplied by the survival of the human race.

© MBS-Big West Tatsunoko

Copyright © TATSUNOKO PRODUCTION. All rights reserved
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Well, we know the Garfish is modular, so modification would be no great feat...

To be honest, though, the teeny-tiny images my browser delivers up...I'm amazed you folks can make out anything at all.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

I'd reckon it is an early Garfish design or maybe a ASC-like ship.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

jaymz wrote:I'd reckon it is an early Garfish design or maybe a ASC-like ship.

well, according to the Trademarks on the Tatsunoko website, the ASC designs are Big Wests, so they would need to base the new design off something from the MAcross era or Mospeda era.
Maybe a Oberth/garfish hybrid
camk4evr
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by camk4evr »

Colonel Wolfe wrote:
jaymz wrote:I'd reckon it is an early Garfish design or maybe a ASC-like ship.

well, according to the Trademarks on the Tatsunoko website, the ASC designs are Big Wests, so they would need to base the new design off something from the MAcross era or Mospeda era.
Maybe a Oberth/garfish hybrid

They can't though as Tatsunoko doen't own the Oberth's design. The only thing that Tatsunoko owns is the actual physical footage for SDF Macross, everything else (the story, characters, and mechanical designs) all belong to Studio Nue/Big West.
May contain peanuts
-warning I saw on a pack of Peanut Butter M&Ms
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

So then we are back to an early garfish like design.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

I am kind of split here as I can see several possibilities depending on the particular instance of freeze framing done:
-Carpenter Fighter (sorry there are several names I've seen for this and want to be clear until we get something official) as at range it might appear to be a garfish w/launch racks
-Alpha w/wing drop tank/weapon pods (this last bit would be "new", but not out of the question IMHO at least until transformation or use of FAST Pack style adjustments possibly)
-Garfish relative
-I can definatly agree that it is not the Syphide

So I went and tried to do frame-by-frame anaylsis after converting the movie on Kickstarter to a format more friendly to that type of work than trying to get super human timing on the MP4 (kickstarter) or FLV (youtube). Either something was lost in the conversion (possible, but I think unlikely) or the near object went into a "Picard Manuever" Wap thing jumps from the "A" in the title to the far right of the screen witha close up of the undercarriage. This leads me to the possibilities mentioned above.

That's my $0.02.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Can't argue with those possibilities SL :ok:

\m/
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/002 ... 1405039880

Good to see the Mospdea Regular RolF Emmerson making a return for this production.... hopefully his is the villain and will kill some snotty REf brats with his bare hands.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I don't think is is the Sylphid (or the Spector if going by the 1st ed name).

What I think is that it's a totally new mecha.

And that it was ether in bataloid form or in Gerwalk mode.
(my really 1st thoughts was that was looking a the top of a gundam...but that couldn't be for this.)

Part of the problem is that the mecha ether passes behind the RTA logo or it gets made transparent while it crosses the RTA logo area so we don't get a good look at it.
(went to YT to look at the video there going as close to frame by frame as I could get and it goes from dot to possible plane cockpit, to battloid top(1st pict in OP), to blurr to the too much close close-up(2nd pict in OP), to gone. the video quality is worse then the HG's KS video so things got a bit blurry.)
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Protoculture

Unread post by Protoculture »

Seto Kaiba wrote:Yep... the Southern Cross designs are off the table for much the same reason the Macross ones are. The development of a series is invariably done in a work-for-hire arrangement, meaning the copyright belongs to the party that funded the development and production. This is why even though the animation for all three of Robotech's component shows was done by Tatsunoko, it's only MOSPEADA which Tatsunoko owns the IP for. The development of both Macross and Southern Cross was paid for by Big West, which is why Tatsunoko lists Big West as the copyright holder on their website. It was Tatsunoko who bankrolled MOSPEADA's development, so they own that one free and clear and can do what they please with it.

I don't think so. While Macross designs are a no-go area for any new Robotech animated productions, SC is different story. We know from Robotech II: Sentinel indeed utilised both GC Mospeada designs (Legioss/Alpha and Tread/Beta fighters, several Mospeada ships, Inbit) and also SC designs (shuttles and vehicles, Bioroids) plus several newly 'inspired Macross designs' such as new Zentraedi Battlepods (Z1 and Z2) and the REF destroids.

Ohhh, there's some original mecha designs the likes of Inorganics, a transformable planes. Oh, a number of SC pre-production 'robotic horses chariots' that rehashed into some Praxian war chariot.
Protoculture

Colonel Wolfe wrote:https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/002/262/448/273e803ed5228a5794859a583c426215_large.jpg?1405039880

Good to see the Mospdea Regular RolF Emmerson making a return for this production.... hopefully his is the villain and will kill some snotty REf brats with his bare hands.

Huh? Since when the good ole Rolf Emerson had to do anything with Mospeada when he is clearly of Southern Cross' lineups.
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Protoculture wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/002/262/448/273e803ed5228a5794859a583c426215_large.jpg?1405039880

Huh? Since when the good ole Rolf Emerson had to do anything with Mospeada when he is clearly of Southern Cross' lineups.

Shhh, HG can't use anything from the Middle chapter.... its illegal.
Protoculture

Since RT Academy settings is as the same as pre SDF-3 launch / contemporaries of Sentinel era, I'm guessing as for mecha designs, based on my casual observation of the scant footages of RT Academy, at most we might get:

From New Gen aka GC Mospeada:
1) Alpha fighters
2) Garfish ships
3) Ikazuchi
4) ConBat fighters
5) Condor Battloids
6) Several unused Mospeada OSM designs (ships, power armors)

From RT Masters / SD Southern Cross:
1) Shuttles
2) Hovertanks (could be the Myrmidon or Spartas)
3) Vehicles
4) Ships (could be Tristar)

From RT II: Sentinel:

1) Upgraded Zent Battlepods
2) REF Destroids (which one managed to get oh-so-brief screen time via RT:LLA)

The new antagonist is being known as the mysterious "Children of Zor". Either it is a new labelling for the "Disciples of Zor", or the rag tag alien Sentinel militias, or simply a rogue Tyroloid anti RT Masters' faction is still unknown.
Protoculture

As for Macross 'inspired designs', heh, RT Academy will milked the REF Destroids / Z1 & Z2 Battlepods and while I'm keeping my fingers crossed, could be the YF-4 prototype (though I doubt so, at most it gonna be ConBat).

Though what pick my interest would be, the RT Academy is based nearby Mars, with the inclusion of Rolf Emerson, would the Mars Base administered by UEG affiliated Southern Cross or UEEF?

But from the brief footage of RT Academy, the Academy Building aesthetics almost smack dab like Southern Cross HQ at Monument City on Earth, but the ships flybys the Academy at Mars seems like Garfishes.
Protoculture

RT Academy in some way could be tied in with UEEF Marine RPG book (which more or less, a RT II: Sentinel reboot). So chances are, Mospeada OSM designs will take central theme in the animation.
Protoculture

Oh, BTW, this is the ONLY RT Academy thread that hasn't been locked .... yet. So any new updates or breadcrumbs will be from the RT Academy Kickstarter page. Please keep civil.

One thing for sure, SDF:MACROSS DESIGNS WILL NOT APPEAR in RT Academy. Enough said. As for Macross characters, could be but heavily redesigned (a trend since RT:PttSC comic series and RT: TSC animation).

As for Macross inspired designs, much like the souped up Super Alpha in RT:TSC or RT II: Sentinel / RT: LLA, it is fair game. Infact, the design of the much younger version of Rolf Emerson's uniform in RT Academy seems like a crossover of both Southern Cross and Macross uniform design aesthetics.
Protoculture

At the moment, for pre-production character designs, we've:

1) A rather 'older' Zor:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/002 ... 1404601179

2) A somewhat 'younger' Rolf Emerson:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/002 ... 1405040324

3) And the RT Academy recruits:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/002 ... 1404679768
Protoculture

From Kotaku.com, hereby is the snippet in regards of RT Academy outline:

Robotech Academy takes place near the end of the second generation of Robotech—in the time and setting of the aborted TV series Robotech II: The Sentinels. However, as Yune was quick to explain, the series won't be following the Sentinels storyline nor the first-generation characters. “Carl's idea—because the story [of the Sentinels] had already been played out in novels and comic books—was to explore this 'universe' but with a new set of characters.”

Thus, Robotech Academy follows the children of the original generation of heroes—the best and brightest humanity has to offer—as they attend the Robotech Academy, located far from the front. But with the future of the Robotech Expeditionary Force all gathered in one place (both in personnel and technology), the Academy turns out to be an inviting target—especially once the Academy ends up trapped in deep space, far from where it's supposed to be.

But just because the main cast is made up of new characters, that doesn't mean you won't get to see some familiar faces. “We'll have cross generational characters; but because it's in a different timeframe within the Robotech universe, some of them will look different—some will be significantly older and some of them will be younger,” Yune told me.

Moreover, the villains for this outing won't be the Invid (the enemies of both the third generation and Sentinels). Rather, the antagonists are a mysterious splinter group of the second generation's Robotech Masters known as the “Children of Zor.”

On the mecha side of the equation, Robotech Academy will contain brand new mecha designs (penned by Tommy Yune himself and Digital Art Chefs) that will act as a sort of missing link to connect the franchise's three distinct transforming robot designs. Of course, the real world reason that the mecha of each generation are so different is because the anime that make up Robotech were three completely unrelated series when they were released originally in Japan. However, Yune hopes to use Robotech Academy to turn this inconsistency into a wellspring of new stories. “We're connecting a lot of the dots—we're actually making the [...] original Robotech series fit better together with these backstories you'll learn in Robotech Academy.”

Source:
http://kotaku.com/a-new-robotech-series ... 1600164637
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Protoculture wrote:The new antagonist is being known as the mysterious "Children of Zor". Either it is a new labelling for the "Disciples of Zor", or the rag tag alien Sentinel militias, or simply a rogue Tyroloid anti RT Masters' faction is still unknown.

"Children of Zor" concept art can be found in the Sentinels section of the "Elements of RTnology" DVD discs in the character section. Not sure if they are part of any of the newer bundled releases, but they where in the Legacy Set.
Seto Kaiba
Knight

Protoculture wrote:I don't think so. While Macross designs are a no-go area for any new Robotech animated productions, SC is different story. We know from Robotech II: Sentinel indeed utilised both GC Mospeada designs (Legioss/Alpha and Tread/Beta fighters, several Mospeada ships, Inbit) and also SC designs (shuttles and vehicles, Bioroids) plus several newly 'inspired Macross designs' such as new Zentraedi Battlepods (Z1 and Z2) and the REF destroids.

Eh... the Sentinels was made in safer days, before Harmony Gold had soured relations with the Japanese studios who own much of the IP behind Robotech. It contained a lot of things that, today, would land Harmony Gold in a copyright infringement lawsuit... but the same can be said for a LOT of older Robotech stuff. I sincerely doubt you'll see anything that's truly from the Southern Cross series, on the grounds that the show IS partly owned by Big West (and therefore an enormous risk to use) and partly because its status as the perennial un-favorite of the production staff, some important Harmony Gold licensees, and the majority of fans would limit their merchandising possibilities.

You'll see maybe one or two concessions to its existence, like not!Emerson there and not!Louis from the Shadow Chronicles movie, but expecting anything other than MOSPEADA designs is probably going to lead to disappointment. The Kotaku article you linked to simply confirms what we already ought to have known from the logo... Robotech Academy, like every Robotech sequel attempt except the Robotech 3000 trailer, will be an attempt to make a Macross sequel without making an actual Macross series. :wink:

What we've got there looks like a Garfish... and considering the period, the most likely possibility is "an early Garfish variant".

taalismn
Priest

So it's 'Space Camp' with alien terrorists and the students have access to mecha, if not live ammunition.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Arnie100
Knight

Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Protoculture wrote:

Shhh, HG can't use anything from the Middle chapter.... its illegal.

And it looks Emerson was redesigned a la Rick Hunter in Shadow Chronicles.
Seto Kaiba
Knight

taalismn wrote:So it's 'Space Camp' with alien terrorists and the students have access to mecha, if not live ammunition.

Conceptually, it sounds an awful lot like several of the Star Trek franchise's unfinished story concepts for a series set at Starfleet Academy. Paramount and its licensees tried to develop this concept out a few different ways, resulting in novels, comics, and rumor has it they were even developing it as a TV series at one point. The one this reminds me of is Marvel's attempt to develop the concept as a comic book, which starred a descendant of Captain Decker from TOS, Nog, and some new characters, with a lot of cameos in the series by existing characters like Sisko and Spock.

Just how uncanny the similarity will be, we'll see if it actually gets made.

I've also seen it suggested, as a result of that Kotaku article, that this is Harmony Gold's attempt to make their own version of Macross Frontier, which also was a story that focused on young pilot trainees in flight school ending up in the middle of a major conflict in space. Considering the enormous success which Macross Frontier met with, one could hardly blame Robotech for trying if that were the case.

Arnie100
Knight

Seto Kaiba wrote:
I've also seen it suggested, as a result of that Kotaku article, that this is Harmony Gold's attempt to make their own version of Macross Frontier, which also was a story that focused on young pilot trainees in flight school ending up in the middle of a major conflict in space. Considering the enormous success which Macross Frontier met with, one could hardly blame Robotech for trying if that were the case.

Especially if we see a couple of teenage singers.
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

I've actually heard this is about Dana's academy days, when she was in a Rock-band and her mom was Mayor of Mars.
Her Band the Plasma-Bombers are a huge indy hit.
The Arrogant and Jerky Lynn Kyle armed with his VF-4 Instrumecha version fights the invading "children of Zor" a demonic hybrid of Tyrolians and Zentradies, bent on harvesting the "Mana" of the kids at the school.
The side-story involves 2 test pilots who are both in love with Nova Satori and they fight it out over her while testing the new YF-6 and YF-7... Shenanigans insue when the GMP uses Nova's brain scans to make an AI who loves them both!
Chris0013
Hero

Unread post by Chris0013 »

Colonel Wolfe wrote:I've actually heard this is about Dana's academy days, when she was in a Rock-band and her mom was Mayor of Mars.
The Arrogant and Jerky Lynn Kyle armed with his VF-4 Instrumecha version fights the invading "children of Zor" a demonic hybrid of Tyrolians and Zentradies, bent on harvesting the "Mana" of the kids at the school.
The side-story involves 2 test pilots who are both in love with Nova Satori and they fight it out over her while testing the new YF-6 and YF-7... Shenanigans insue when the GMP uses Nova's brain scans to make an AI who loves them both!

I can;t put my finger on it....but I think I have heard those plot points before....somewhere.....
I know it is a little extreme to advocate the death penalty for stupidity...but can't we just remove all the warning labels and let nature take it's course???
taalismn
Priest

Colonel Wolfe wrote:I've actually heard this is about Dana's academy days, when she was in a Rock-band and her mom was Mayor of Mars.

Sounds like...The Robotech Bloopers cutting room floor(the stuff that wasn't funny enough).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Seto Kaiba
Knight

taalismn wrote:Sounds like...The Robotech Bloopers cutting room floor(the stuff that wasn't funny enough).

Sounds more like sour grapes to me... which is, of course, exactly what it is. :lol:

Do we know if Tommy was/is a Star Trek fan in addition to being an avid and self-professed fan of the Japanese Macross franchise? He'd be right in the age group that was the target demographic for that Marvel-Paramount Star Trek: Starfleet Academy series that the Robotech Academy description reminds me of. It'd be damn weird if that was one of their inspirations, and even weirder if they managed to pull it off... which Marvel and Paramount singularly failed to do.

taalismn
Priest

"And this is how we use spreadable cheese substitute to make an airtight seal and temporary heatshield on a spacecraft hull, and incidentally how you can use it to anneal a vac-suited Tirolian terrorist in a hapless position to the outside of the spacecraft in question."

"Damn you, Terrans! You and your abomidable Cheezwhiz!"
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

less about the flavor of grapes, and more back to the actual topic at hand. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13 ... sts/910479
They have released the designs picture.
Arnie100
Knight

That is F'UGLY.
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Arnie100 wrote:That is F'UGLY.

It is sad that he wouldn't use the condor or jackle mecha. At least it isn't inspired by a real-world fighter or a starwars ripoff. I'm surprised it isn't based on starwars Steve yunn is a huge Lucas fan.
Seto Kaiba
Knight

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13 ... sts/910479

Whooboy... y'know, I'd originally dismissed the aforementioned idea that this was going to be an attempt by Harmony Gold to imitate Macross Frontier as unlikely. I'm forced to rethink that position now... because this new design screams "Poor man's Macross Quarter".

Arnie100 wrote:That is F'UGLY.

And how... at least they defied expectations in not making it a MOSPEADA-esque design, so that's at least a little step forward.

Looks like another really small warship like the Icarus, since it's got just the one center-line gun turret and is otherwise mostly just a cluster of engines. Probably an even smaller fighter complement, since it looks like it has some Garfish-esque fighter modules on the underside rather than a visible internal hangar like the Icarus had.
Last edited by Seto Kaiba on Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

taalismn
Priest

Colonel Wolfe wrote:less about the flavor of grapes, and more back to the actual topic at hand. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13 ... sts/910479
They have released the designs picture.

Garfish engines and underside pods, top turret off an UEEF battlescruiser...lateral defense turrets...side engines almost look like oversized FAST packs. Those pylons look none too sturdy, and that big long(rail gun? reflex cannon?) doesn't quite mesh with the rest of the ship. Looks like somebody gutted the transport capacity of a Garfish and grafted in some alien (Tirolian?) craft re-armed with Terran weapons. I'd hazard a guess(on sight speculation alone) this ISN'T the Academy transport itself, but some smaller attack vessel. Destroyer with a bad case of Viagra-induced Lancer II BFG machismo?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Arnie100
Knight

I would've preferred they used Alphas with FASTPacks. That just makes me wanna hurl... :puke: Do you guys think there may be Zentraedi influence due to the green color?
Seto Kaiba
Knight

Arnie100 wrote:I would've preferred they used Alphas with FASTPacks. That just makes me wanna hurl... :puke: Do you guys think there may be Zentraedi influence due to the green color?

That's a ship, Arnie... what they use for fighters is still up in the air.

The most likely candidates for the fighters would be either early Alphas (since the Alpha was introduced for UEEF service in 2022) or Conbats and Condors (the Alpha's technical predecessors). Given the design, this ship probably only carries a few fighters, much like the Icarus. We probably won't see FAST packs on the Alphas if they use 'em, because those are something the UEEF didn't get until 2044.

SRoss
Knight

Unread post by SRoss »

Kinda reminds me of the Minerva, from Gundam Seed Destiny. Just with less style.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”