Hello there Mr. Mystery Academy Mecha...

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Protoculture

Re: Hello there Mr. Mystery Academy Mecha...

Unread post by Protoculture »

And the spoilerish overview on RT Academy storyline by Greg Snegoff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnEbrQzZXxw
Protoculture

Major plots revealed from Greg Snegoff's video on overview of RT Academy:

1) Event of RT Academy is concurrent with RT II: Sentinels and happens after SDF-3 departure. (Within 2022 - 2030 timeline)
2) Admiral Rick Hunter, Dr Lang, Gen Rolf Emerson, Supreme Cmmdr Anatole Eli Leonard are expected to appear.
3) New characters such as the child-prodigy, Wally and new hotshot teenage pilot, Lindsay (a rival of Jack Baker).
4) Children of Zor is the new antagonist. From the pre-poduction art of a CoZ warrior that appear in the video, it seems that CoZ is an off-shoot of Tyrolians with 'Triumvirate' elements.
5) CoZ attacking Phobos and the Academy due to Zor's secret being hidden under the very noses of the Robotech recruits (what? PC Matrix? something from SDF-1?)
6) The Academy was folded to parts unknown (Tyrol?) using prototype fold tech in order to escape CoZ probing assault.
7) The Academy's recruits have to ret-trace their way back to Sol-System or re-joining SDF-3 by way of tracking Zor's final journey with SDF-1 amongst the stars, along the way will discover Zor's secrets.
8 ) And yes, the 'mystery' ship / fighter flyby of the RT Academy trailer is indeed the variant of Garfish, exactly in appearance with RT Vision's Swordfish:
https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos ... 7582_o.jpg
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Protoculture wrote:OK guys, here's an update on the KS for the past coupla days:

1) New character (identified as the new child prodigy, Wally):
https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/002 ... 1405349922

so now Robotech will have its own Wesley Crusher..

5) New UEEF ship, the Takeru class Artillery Cruiser:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/002 ... 1406079938

looks like some of the robotech3000 concept art.. Mountbatten, additional version
also i see where some of the "upgrades" for the garfish thing came from..
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

glitterboy2098 wrote:
Protoculture wrote:OK guys, here's an update on the KS for the past coupla days:

1) New character (identified as the new child prodigy, Wally):
https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/002 ... 1405349922

so now Robotech will have its own Wesley Crusher...

Or 'Ender' Wiggin. Yep, in the grimdark post Rain of Death Robotech Earth society, I imagine child-prodigies aren't allowed to develop into liberal arts majors; they're packed off to Battle School Robotech Academy and set to course work learning better ways to destroy things and kill alien threats.

And the 'Artillery Cruiser'...right off, I thought: quick effort to create a Big Reflex Cannon attack ship akin to the Zentraedi Monitors. See how the enemy likes it when we bombard THEM from orbit!
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

I'm not sure why you felt that needed to be five posts instead of one, since it all ultimately boils down to "here's some more details of a collection of ideas the fans largely don't approve of". In a way, this is kind of sad... it proves all the dismissive stuff I've said about Robotech sequels just trying to be Macross Lite was dead on. :(

From all that's been said, I think we can safely conclude that this pilot, if made, will end like the Shadow Chronicles... a plan to bring new fans into the fandom that fails because it's no ambassador, with every character and plot point requiring prior knowledge of the series. Let's just say io9 was probably right about the placement of item five and move along.

Protoculture wrote:2) Admiral Rick Hunter, Dr Lang, Gen Rolf Emerson, Supreme Cmmdr Anatole Eli Leonard are expected to appear.

I'd take this with an ocean's worth of salt if I were you... remember how Admiral Rick Hunter "appeared" in the Shadow Chronicles.

Protoculture wrote:3) New characters such as the child-prodigy, Wally and new hotshot teenage pilot, Lindsay (a rival of Jack Baker).

So, did someone on the production staff just not hate Wesley Crusher, or is this their attempt to copy the much more tolerable character of Luca Angeloni from Macross Frontier? Also, it doesn't make the new characters more relateable or interesting when their one defining character trait is that they're a previously unmentioned friend or family member of an existing character. You need more than that to get an audience to empathize with a character, as evidenced by the lukewarm (I'm being generous) reception RTSC's Marcus got.

Protoculture wrote:5) CoZ attacking Phobos and the Academy due to Zor's secret being hidden under the very noses of the Robotech recruits (what? PC Matrix? something from SDF-1?)
6) The Academy was folded to parts unknown (Tyrol?) using prototype fold tech in order to escape CoZ probing assault.
7) The Academy's recruits have to ret-trace their way back to Sol-System or re-joining SDF-3 by way of tracking Zor's final journey with SDF-1 amongst the stars, along the way will discover Zor's secrets.

At the very least, we know it'll be a green production... it's mostly post-consumer recycled material! :lol:

glitterboy2098 wrote:
5) New UEEF ship, the Takeru class Artillery Cruiser:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/002 ... 1406079938

looks like some of the robotech3000 concept art..

Nah, 's more obvious than that... it's "inspired by" the titular ship from Space Battleship Yamato, only it replaces the wave motion cannon with a transparent copy of the Macross's main gun from DYRL?.

EDIT: Edited to make it more "constructive". :-P :wink:
Last edited by Seto Kaiba on Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=140245

Some of the people in this topic should re-read this post by Jefffar.

"Just a reminder folks, Harmony Gold and Ninja Division are partners in business with Palladium and as such need to be treated with the same respect on these forums as is directed is to be directed towards Palladium Books, Palladium Staff or indeed any other poster.

This means that while criticism is fine, it needs to be constructive and respectful. So no bashing, no name calling and no trolling of fans of their products."
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Arnie100
Knight

Unread post by Arnie100 »

The Takeru class Artillery Cruiser reminds me more of this: http://www.shipschematics.net/yamato/im ... romeda.jpg
They can't see me...Right!?
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Arnie100 wrote:The Takeru class Artillery Cruiser reminds me more of this: http://www.shipschematics.net/yamato/im ... romeda.jpg

Ah yes, the Double-Barreled Nuclear Shotgun. :bandit:
Complete with exposed bridge. Didn't the experience of the Executor teach you folks ANYTHING?
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Protoculture

Seto Kaiba wrote:I'm not sure why you felt that needed to be five posts instead of one, since it all ultimately boils down to "here's some more details of a collection of ideas the fans largely don't approve of". In a way, this is kind of sad... it proves all the dismissive stuff I've said about Robotech sequels just trying to be Macross Lite was dead on. :(

Well, you're not that far off when you 'suggest' that RT:Academy could be a 'Macross Frontier'-lite. Frankly speaking, I get the vibe too. The 'Tougo-Gun' inspired logo, the redesigned Emerson's uniforms, the split boom cannons that mimicked the DYRL version of SDF-1 cannons.

From all that's been said, I think we can safely conclude that this pilot, if made, will end like the Shadow Chronicles... a plan to bring new fans into the fandom that fails because it's no ambassador, with every character and plot point requiring prior knowledge of the series. Let's just say io9 was probably right about the placement of item five and move along.

Actually, IF its ever gets made, it will repeat the history of RT II: The Sentinel / RTSC (with no follow-up sequels). And, it its doesn't get made, let's us say it will received the same fate as that of RT:3000 (ouch ... double ouch).

I'd take this with an ocean's worth of salt if I were you... remember how Admiral Rick Hunter "appeared" in the Shadow Chronicles.

It is only a hook for unsuspecting RT fan. We've smartened up since RTSC.

So, did someone on the production staff just not hate Wesley Crusher, or is this their attempt to copy the much more tolerable character of Luca Angeloni from Macross Frontier? Also, it doesn't make the new characters more relateable or interesting when their one defining character trait is that they're a previously unmentioned friend or family member of an existing character. You need more than that to get an audience to empathize with a character, as evidenced by the lukewarm (I'm being generous) reception RTSC's Marcus got.

RTSC's characters are cookie cutter and lame as compared to RT: Macross Saga / Robotech Masters / New Gen counterparts. I only cared for Louie and Ariel/Marlene & Scott.

As for RT Academy main characters, a teenage female pilot (hmmm, a 'better motivated' Dana-type character or a resurgent RT II: Sentinels' Karen Penn) plus a number of whiz-type kids trapped on a space station trying to find a way home? Suddenly I get the vibe that RT: Academy is treading the waters of becoming 'kiddified aka kid-friendly' in order to attract new demographic of fans. Somehow, that could be the reason why the pilot is being made, and chances are HG will pitched it to TV networks for new kid's programming block.

At the very least, we know it'll be a green production... it's mostly post-consumer recycled material! :lol:

Meh. While the plot seems 'recycled' .... what intrigues me is the CoZ.

Nah, 's more obvious than that... it's "inspired by" the titular ship from Space Battleship Yamato, only it replaces the wave motion cannon with a transparent copy of the Macross's main gun from DYRL?.

Yes it does. Being exposed to the new Yamato 2199 reboot series and Yamato live action movie, I did see an obvious resemblance there.

EDIT: Edited to make it more "constructive". :-P :wink:

Its OK, Seto. Appreciate that.
Protoculture

taalismn wrote:
And the 'Artillery Cruiser'...right off, I thought: quick effort to create a Big Reflex Cannon attack ship akin to the Zentraedi Monitors. See how the enemy likes it when we bombard THEM from orbit!

Yet, one thing comes to mind, instead of putting a halfhearted 'Yamato clone armed with SDF-1 split cannons', there's tonnes of unused pre-production materials of naval ships from GC Mospeada. While the new 'Swordfish' could be the early variant of Garfish, how does Takeru fits in the RT-verse? A rushed-attempt at producing a (experimental? ) capital ship with reflex cannon capability after the destruction of SDF-1 & SDF-2?

If Takeru class ships were in UEDF-TSC / UEEF inventory near Mars, it certainly will bring a whole lot of differences in 2nd RT War or 3rd RT War. Unless that Takeru is a one-off wonder ship ......
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Locked at the OP's request, further review pending.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”