Robotech Alt 2: Protoculture Boogaloo

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Arnie100
Knight

Re: Robotech Alt 2: Protoculture Boogaloo

Unread post by Arnie100 »

Capt. Grant: "I thought you were gonna slip in some Windows 8..."
Louie: "That would've been merciful..."
They can't see me...Right!?
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Annie: "I hear that 'Possession is nine-tenths of the law' joke again, I'm getting my submachine gun..."
Regis: " -.....never mind, wasn't important."

By the way, anything happen to Doctor Zand, ambiguous mad scientist type who originally in the McKinney books is a serial spiritual molester of Dana Sterling, but gets retconned as Edwards' evil Louie Nichols clone in PtSC, last seen with the rescue team's guns pointed at his head while they force Minmei's whereabouts out of him?
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Chronicler
Adventurer
Comment: "... and that is why you should never put a spork in a toaster."
-Over heard conversation in highschool

Unread post by Chronicler »

taalismn wrote:Annie: "I hear that 'Possession is nine-tenths of the law' joke again, I'm getting my submachine gun..."
Regis: " -.....never mind, wasn't important."

By the way, anything happen to Doctor Zand, ambiguous mad scientist type who originally in the McKinney books is a serial spiritual molester of Dana Sterling, but gets retconned as Edwards' evil Louie Nichols clone in PtSC, last seen with the rescue team's guns pointed at his head while they force Minmei's whereabouts out of him?

Uh, I never knew there was such a character. Never read past anything from the first two omnibus of the novels. Did like the concept of the neural helmets, they would be making a comeback at later dates.

But really a character that was a "spiritual molester", that's just nuts :-?
taalismn
Priest

Chronicler wrote:[

He was trying to tap into the Flower of Life 'essence' at the heart of Dana's soul(in the books, Emerson beats the snot out of him for performing experiments on young Dana, and he later uses his eldritch influence on Leonard to even the score later on). Turned into a giant Flower of Life when a Pollinator crept up behind him when he was trying to fatally drain Dana just after Zor Prime went boom.
In the Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles graphic novel, which is now considered more canon than the dismissed McKinney novels, Zand is just a creepy-looking thin pasty-complexioned mohawked guy with welder-goggle-style optical specs and a craven streak(he's abandoning Edwards and is sneaking out the back door when he gets captured). It's implied he was Edwards' less-than-ethical chief science advisor and bottle washer up until Edwards fully linked to the Invid Brain and put him to the side.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Chronicler
Adventurer

taalismn wrote:
Chronicler wrote:[

He was trying to tap into the Flower of Life 'essence' at the heart of Dana's soul(in the books, Emerson beats the snot out of him for performing experiments on young Dana, and he later uses his eldritch influence on Leonard to even the score later on). Turned into a giant Flower of Life when a Pollinator crept up behind him when he was trying to fatally drain Dana just after Zor Prime went boom.
In the Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles graphic novel, which is now considered more canon than the dismissed McKinney novels, Zand is just a creepy-looking thin pasty-complexioned mohawked guy with welder-goggle-style optical specs and a craven streak(he's abandoning Edwards and is sneaking out the back door when he gets captured). It's implied he was Edwards' less-than-ethical chief science advisor and bottle washer up until Edwards fully linked to the Invid Brain and put him to the side.

Chronicler: "He's out."

Zand: "Wait, WHAT?!?"

Chronicler: "You don't exist because of the whole molester thing and just not that important. Good bye."

Zand "NNNOOOOOO *poof*"
taalismn
Priest

Good enough. A Protoculture pervert AND an unnecessary accessory. Like deleting an unwanted, unused app.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Chronicler
Adventurer

It finally came in the mail. My Robotech Box Set has arrived no thanks to the schools mail room (seriously I have class in the 15 min. it's opened.).

You wont be seeing me around here for a while. I need to do.....Uh research.
taalismn
Priest

Chronicler wrote:It finally came in the mail. My Robotech Box Set has arrived no thanks to the schools mail room (seriously I have class in the 15 min. it's opened.).

You wont be seeing me around here for a while. I need to do.....Uh research.

RoboMarathon!!!! 8)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Arnie100
Knight

Anatole Leonard: "What about MY rewrite?!" (Waving fist in the air)
taalismn
Priest

Arnie100 wrote:Anatole Leonard: "What about MY rewrite?!" (Waving fist in the air)

Quiet, Chronicle is doing research on you, amongst others, to do full justice to the characters.
"So you're still hosed, Anatole."
"Shut up, Moran."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Chronicler
Adventurer

Robotech Alt: Roy Fokker
Born in July of 1979 to Dan and Linda Fokker. At age three his mother died from cancer leaving him with his father till age 11 when Dan Fokker was K.I.A during a mission in the Gulf of Iraq. Roy was left with the military till Mitchell Hunter, a family friend, took him in as his own. Soon Roy was like any member of the Hunter family and the flying circus. Rick Hunter was especially close to him as he saw nothing more than a beloved older brother.

Growing up with aviators, gear heads, and a few military types it was no surprise that Roy would take up his father shoes and fly. He was taught by Mitchell at a very early age and showed an aptitude for barnstorming. At age 15 he was preforming in The Hunter’s Flying Circus in his own hand built replica Fokker D.VII bi-plane that he and Mitchell put together. In high school he signed up to be a member of the U.S. Air Force Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps and planned to join the Air Force right after graduation. Mitchell being a war veteran would try to convince Roy to stay a little longer with the circus, but before graduation World War III happened. A call for pilots was issued by both the Navy and Marines, Roy signed up straight away leaving the Hunters behind.

Training was brutal as the military needed them out in the field. Roy would pass and made commission as a lieutenant. His first assignment was to be in Lt. Colonial Edwards’s wing on the USS Kenosha. Roy was a tenacious hot head in the skies as Fokker fought in his first shorty. It was till afterwards the T.R. Edwards confronted him on this. Roy soon found himself under T.R’s wing. Under him Fokker learned to be a better fighter and a better leader, he was soon an ace among the ranks of both his father and Mitchell. His bond with his wingmen and Edwards would last even throughout the events of the First Robotech War.

Fate would soon be crashing down on young Roy in 1999. During an engagement with Chines forces in the south pacific Zor’s battle fortress came crashing down on them.
Chronicler
Adventurer

Ugh, couldn't sleep last night, watched all of macross, just got done with to the stars. Ending still fresh in mind. Gong semi original (SDF Macross) plan to have bridge crew survive, Gloval went down with the ship. SDF-2 heavily damaged but repaired for close sector colonization, SDF-3 main ship for pioneer mission. Oh and might as well say Roy lives alla Macross Frontier gag. Screw you pineapple salad. Will elaborate more once writing done for Fokker.

Now sleep, bad week, ow brain.
Chronicler
Adventurer

update: Started to watch the masters saga last night and good god I don't remember it being this bad :eek: Write ups are put on hold as school projects have gotten in the way, along with me entering into the biggest loser fitness program the school runs. Other than that nothing new but note taking.
Chronicler
Adventurer

So my friends say I need to make this into a fan-fic like the cross over section, so with some time I'm drafting up the first chapter. Here's what I got so far:

The grass was cool to the body that laid in the twilight of the day. A frail body with arms spread as if to greet the night time’s arrival laid in anticipation for his final breath. Wind blowing gently through strands of grey that still bore a hint of youthful purple. Zor knew that his signal had been received for they would come for what lay beneath him, the ever growing life of a people once peaceful.

Then came a rhythm of fleeted foot drawn ever closer to him. The cry of his name ever drawn through the wind, a panic yearning for him. The old one continued to stare up to the heavens as the boy came in a winded hurry.

“Master Zor! Master Zor! The flowers are germinating! We must depart! They are drawing ever closer to us!”

Zor still lying still pondered this, but soon shushed it from his mind. He knew what he was doing and what came for him. The boy was finally upon him, head bent and staring down at his gaze. The boy had a face of an angle that never hinted that he was already of age. Long blond hair drooping down and swaying with the wind. Eyes of emerald piercing into Zor’s own. “Master, please.”

“My dear Demos,” spoke Zor, “I already know of this for it is my wish that this should happen.”

The boy Demos was perplexed. “But why? Why would you do this Zor?”

Zor, with effort, sat up from the ground. Small plants already peeking out from the ground from once he laid. The old one look at Demos, a stern face on him. “My time has come. I am tired of running from the past. For what I and The Masters have done.”

Gazing up at the now blackening sky he spoke softly “Do you know how long I have lived Demos?”

“Yes, Master,” Demos had a hint of sadness in his voice, “For over 1500 years.”

“Do you realize what this does to a man, Demos?” said Zor.

Demos only nodded at this. He knew deep down that Master Zor had lived for many generations. Watching passively as his people the Tirolians conquered countless worlds, the degradation of culture under the unending rain of The Masters and their clone descendants. And most of all his hand in the creation of the Invid scourge.

“Then you understand why I want this.” Spoke Zor. He gestured the boy to sit with him. Demos complied, stooping down to his master’s side.

“Let me tell you something my disciple. I have already set things in motion all before now.” Demos looked at him in confusion. Zor in turn gazed at him. “I plan my death.” he said nonchalant. He gave a big sigh.

“Be for this I had agents all over the empire without The Masters knowing. They were loyal to my cause, and allowed me to use them as pawns in the empires downfall.” A sound soon came next to him. A minicomputer rang to alert him of the danger that was coming. “Huh, so the Zentraedi are the first to show. Go figure.”

Demo’s eyes widen. “What did you do master?”

A small smile crept on the old ones face. “I had them destroy every Matrix and burn every flower they can get. All they while my A.I’s are destroying every information on the Matrixes and my personal notes. I’d figure it would all take a standard day to execute and a little bit after to rally the troops to get me.” The smile finally became a big grin. “Seems that I miss calculated their arrival.”

“But Master!” Demos panicked “What about us? What about all of your disciples?”

Zor raised his hand. “You need not worry. There is a bunker underneath that all of you will go. There is a transport ship and everything. All you have to do is wait it out.”

please I would appreciate it you guys can point out any spelling/grammar errors, or any suggestions on writing style. Much thanks.
taalismn
Priest

Good characterization here; instead of a youngish suicidally-depressed Zor with a martyr complex(that comes with Zor Prime, brimming with youthful stupid hormones) we got justice-delayed and yeh-gods-I've-lived-too-long-and-I'm-tired-of-it Zor.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Arnie100
Knight

Minmei: "Please don't tell me I'm Zor's mother or something..."
Chronicler
Adventurer

Arnie100 wrote:Minmei: "Please don't tell me I'm Zor's mother or something..."

Chronicler: *looks up wiki* "....... No, f@#$ that."

Minmei: "OH THANK GOD!"
taalismn
Priest

Chronicler wrote:

Rem: "Blessed be our fanbase, that they refuse to make my family tree the Space Hillbilly Ouroboros."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Chronicler
Adventurer

taalismn wrote:
Chronicler wrote:

Rem: "Blessed be our fanbase, that they refuse to make my family tree the Space Hillbilly Ouroboros."

Chronicler: "Naw, I'm just against that crap. Bad enough when I see it in fan-fics, but an actual canon thing, no, just no."

Minmei: "So what are you planning to do anyways?"

Chronicler: "You heard the term "Polishing S@#$"? If Mythbusters can do it, then so can I."
SRoss
Knight

Unread post by SRoss »

Chronicler wrote:Chronicler: "Naw, I'm just against that crap. Bad enough when I see it in fan-fics, but an actual canon thing, no, just no."

Chronicler: "You heard the term "Polishing S@#$"? If Mythbusters can do it, then so can I."

SRoss: "So you're doing the Masters saga then."

Dana, Nova & Marie: "HEY!"
Chronicler
Adventurer

SRoss wrote:
Chronicler wrote:Chronicler: "Naw, I'm just against that crap. Bad enough when I see it in fan-fics, but an actual canon thing, no, just no."

SRoss: "So you're doing the Masters saga then."

Dana, Nova & Marie: "HEY!"

Chronicler: "What do you think I'm watching right now? :P "

Dana, Nova & Marie: :x :badbad:
Arnie100
Knight

Anatole Leonard: "This was one of the greatest pieces of sci-fi ever created!! It shows off my tactical genius extremely well!"
Rolf.Emerson: "Tactical genius...(snickers)" :roll:
Chronicler
Adventurer

last bit of the first part of the first chapter. Just hit a block on how I want to execute the scene as both the zentraedi and invid arrive for Zors head.

Demos was even more perplexed on the extent of his master’s plan. How long had he plan this he thought? Zor inhaled a cool breath, taking in the aroma of the blooming flowers. A small tear began to form at the corner of his eyes.

“There is one more thing I ask of my disciples.” He spoke softly. “One more plan that would, or might bear fruit.”

“Anything, my master.”

“My warship. In it contains the first matrix and the flower of life.” Zor looked at him. “I have sent it to a far way place where it would do some good out of all of this. The A.I. Alakin and some of my trusted Zentraedi friends will make sure it will arrive there. I want you and the Disciples to find it when the time is right. Or if it ever finds you, to cherish it, to help it, to guide it till the time of the ancient’s has come.”

With a nod Demos understood, mostly, of what Zor wanted. The old one soon pointed back to the compound. “Go now. The Zentraedi will arrive in fifteen minutes. Just enough for you to make it.”

And with that the young man took off to meet the rest in Zors hide away. The old one watched on till he was sure Demos was gone. Looking back at the sky know shining with stars the tears had finally started to draw down his face. He knew his time had come, the age of the empire is drawing to an end. There were more things to come on the horizon, both good and evil.

“Regiss, my dear, I am truly sorry. But one day things would be all right and your people renewed. Just wait a little longer.”
taalismn
Priest

INteresting...implying Zor gets offed by the Zentraedi and the Masters and not by the Invid(unless the Regent interrupts Zor's arrest to get his own pound of flesh).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Chronicler
Adventurer

taalismn wrote:INteresting...implying Zor gets offed by the Zentraedi and the Masters and not by the Invid(unless the Regent interrupts Zor's arrest to get his own pound of flesh).

You are correct, except it is the Regess that comes for him, not the Regent (who is caught up in a war against the masters).

Anyways I had a thought while looking up Carl Jung's work (love it to death) and thought that instead of husband and wife both the Regent and Regess are manifestations of the Invids Anima and Animus.

Good God is the masters saga going to be heavily re-worked :eek: :?
Arnie100
Knight

Nova: "Maybe Dana will finally have a brain..."
Dana: :x
Chronicler
Adventurer

nope not in a good state of mind, pay no attention to this post
Last edited by Chronicler on Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taalismn
Priest

Komodo: "Maybe I'll have a REAL chance with Nova!"
"Nova needs to be taught a lesson in interpersonal relationships in time of war. To drive that lesson home, you must die."
Dennis Brown: "Even if I have to kill you myself."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

Chronicler wrote:last bit of the first part of the first chapter. Just hit a block on how I want to execute the scene as both the zentraedi and invid arrive for Zors head.

Pfft... everyone knows the real reason Zor ditched his ship on Earth was that he KNEW Dolza and the Masters would tear the place apart looking for it. That way he wouldn't have to pay his bookie.

Chronicler wrote:Just got S@#$ on on the RTT facebook page for doing this.

You know that saying that you can't please everybody?

Well... when it comes to Robotech, it turns out you can't please anybody. The more the fanbase shrinks, the more those determined not to give up on Robotech take the "cult" part of "cult following" literally. It's probably better to just ignore them, because the Robotech fandom's a group that's nothing if not willing to scream "heresy!" or "sacrilege!" when someone tries to actually take the story and do something with it that they don't think is consistent with how Robotech was back during the "good old days"... the definition of which usually has little connection to objective reality.

Hell, they give Tommy Yune flak for establishing an official canon and trying to continue the story of the animated series. They gave Carl Macek flak for trying to separate Robotech from the OSM.

Don't pay 'em any mind... if you actually respect those two, you're in good company.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
Chronicler
Adventurer

Seto Kaiba wrote:
Chronicler wrote:last bit of the first part of the first chapter. Just hit a block on how I want to execute the scene as both the zentraedi and invid arrive for Zors head.

Pfft... everyone knows the real reason Zor ditched his ship on Earth was that he KNEW Dolza and the Masters would tear the place apart looking for it. That way he wouldn't have to pay his bookie.

Chronicler wrote:Just got S@#$ on on the RTT facebook page for doing this.

You know that saying that you can't please everybody?

Well... when it comes to Robotech, it turns out you can't please anybody. The more the fanbase shrinks, the more those determined not to give up on Robotech take the "cult" part of "cult following" literally. It's probably better to just ignore them, because the Robotech fandom's a group that's nothing if not willing to scream "heresy!" or "sacrilege!" when someone tries to actually take the story and do something with it that they don't think is consistent with how Robotech was back during the "good old days"... the definition of which usually has little connection to objective reality.

Hell, they give Tommy Yune flak for establishing an official canon and trying to continue the story of the animated series. They gave Carl Macek flak for trying to separate Robotech from the OSM.

Don't pay 'em any mind... if you actually respect those two, you're in good company.

*sigh* I kind of respect Tommy Yune for doing that but I don't really like where it's going, and he probably doesn't ether with HG at his neck. Carl Macek from what I understand wanted just Macross here in the U.S. but was forced to do those changes to appease U.S audiences and executives with the other two shows to get syndication. Plus people might not realize that if it wasn't for Carl we probably wouldn't have the anime industry that early here in America. Could have happened in the 90's but not as big as it was then.

I just hate that people do hate on both of them and also anyone that enjoys this show. I mean if it wasn't for this show and Kiki's delivery service I probably wouldn't be the anime fan I am today. Seriously because of this I seeked out dragon ball, Pokemon, Gundam Wing and any others that were on TV, or the manga that started to flood the market back in early 00's. That's why this show has a special place in my books, and I just want to give my own take without the restrictions of what's on film or expand on some ideas that it had.

Seriously if there is a chance that some one from Harmony Gold that reads this, Just let Tommy have the rights to it and let the Macross IP in the U.S. Quit being ***** about it, you are not doing anything about it and that is why people hate you for it. Hell give it to Kevin, from what I read from the first rpg he and the rest of Palladium Books had better ideas for it.
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Chronicler wrote:Plus people might not realize that if it wasn't for Carl we probably wouldn't have the anime industry that early here in America. Could have happened in the 90's but not as big as it was then. [...]

Eh... if you actually look at the sales trendline and other objective indicators of market penetration in the US, Carl Macek and his Robotech series practically flew under the radar. The show's impact was, to be frank, somewhere between negligible and nonexistent thanks to stiff competition from other TV shows that already had a lock on Robotech's target demographic. The show came out at the tail end of a period where rewrites were accepted practice, and within five years was had already fallen out of favor while accurate dubbing became the standard.

That whole "Robotech created the anime industry" schtick is something Harmony Gold invented for their press packet back around '00 when they were trying to reinvent the show as a credible SF mecha anime franchise. It sounds impressive, but it doesn't stand up under even a cursory inspection.

Chronicler wrote:Seriously because of this I seeked out dragon ball, Pokemon, Gundam Wing and any others that were on TV, [...]

But you're a sharp fellow nonetheless, because you just named three of four titles that probably did the most to establish anime's foothold in the US... the fourth being Sailor Moon.

Chronicler wrote:That's why this show has a special place in my books, and I just want to give my own take without the restrictions of what's on film or expand on some ideas that it had.

So ignore the bastards and do your own thing for your own enjoyment... you don't need their approval.

If you want to put your own spin on the story, do it. Enough authors already have, with varying degrees of originality, that you're in excellent company.

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
Chronicler
Adventurer

there is a reason people call me the smartest idiot. Kind of like that saying with the wises Greek knowing that he knew nothing, thus being the wisest.
Seto Kaiba
Knight

Chronicler wrote:there is a reason people call me the smartest idiot. Kind of like that saying with the wises Greek knowing that he knew nothing, thus being the wisest.

Could be worse... they could be calling you "the space cowboy".

Among the most cultish devotees of RT, I'm called nothing fancier than "You bastard!". :lol:

Chronicler
Adventurer

Update: Just finished the masters saga, it's going to be a heavy rewrite.

Thoughts on: The Zentraedi

I like the idea that the masters created the Zentraedi as sort of a terror weapon/ Marines for their empire. As for Bioroids they are mostly to hold ground until the masters abandoned Tirol and switched them to an assault style army. Though it would be interesting if there are still some Zentraedi fleets out there that are just abandoned.

After the first war there where still malcontents, a large number of them being male warriors. It was actually Meltraedi, auxiliary specialists, and a few warlords/ high lords that integrated well into human society due to higher intelligences and understanding. Azonia in Alt didn't side with Khyron instead she chose to be one of the few Zentraedi to try to come up with their own culture to replace the warrior style system they where so use to (though it still ended up with a lot of military culture in it.)

Most Zentraedi micronized, but a large percentage chose to be in their giant forms. This scared the crap out of people when they began to have children. For food that was solved with genetic engineering with the creation of large vegetation and nuts. So hunger wasn't that much of an issue.

The U.E.E.F and U.C.D.F was perfect for the Zentraedi as they where not all that welcomed when The Southern Cross took political control of the Earth in place of the U.E.G. The colonies actually welcomed them as they already know how to survive in space and in new environments.

Half Zentraedi are common in the colonies along with full bloods. The largest concentration being in the close sector colonies where Zentraedi culture thrived. It is interesting to note that some humans adopted their new culture when really it was a mix of human and Zentraedi to begin with.

I should really read the old first ed zentraedi book that I have now. Some of this might change or not.
taalismn
Priest

Seto Kaiba wrote:[
Chronicler wrote:Seriously because of this I seeked out dragon ball, Pokemon, Gundam Wing and any others that were on TV, [...]

But you're a sharp fellow nonetheless, because you just named three of four titles that probably did the most to establish anime's foothold in the US... the fourth being Sailor Moon..

Great...now in addition to trying to find the means of delivering the Internet Punch, you have me suddenly wishing for the ability of Internet Projectile Vomit(or at least Internet Spit-take). :badbad:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Seto Kaiba
Knight

Chronicler wrote:Update: Just finished the masters saga, it's going to be a heavy rewrite.

Well, the Mythbusters DID prove that it's possible to polish a turd...

Chronicler wrote:After the first war there where still malcontents, a large number of them being male warriors. It was actually Meltraedi, auxiliary specialists, [...]

Fun tidbit... the reason there are so few females in the Zentradi Army in the animation is because, in the original Macross the females were actually purpose-built to be pilots for the latest high-spec battle suit lines.

taalismn wrote:
Seto Kaiba wrote:

But you're a sharp fellow nonetheless, because you just named three of four titles that probably did the most to establish anime's foothold in the US... the fourth being Sailor Moon..

Great...now in addition to trying to find the means of delivering the Internet Punch, you have me suddenly wishing for the ability of Internet Projectile Vomit(or at least Internet Spit-take). :badbad:

:lol:

The truth is a harsh mistress... but it was Dragonball and Sailor Moon that really proved that anime had what it takes to succeed somewhere other than the direct-to-video market in America. The earlier efforts, like Robotech, usually only achieved mediocre ratings and were merchandising flops. Dragonball and Sailor Moon proved that anime could hold an audience long-term. That did no end of good for the industry, and paved the way for Pokemon to prove beyond dispute that anime had the ability to be huge on a level that could make it a freaking household name.

Chronicler
Adventurer

Seto Kaiba wrote:
taalismn wrote:
Seto Kaiba wrote:

:lol:

The truth is a harsh mistress... but it was Dragonball and Sailor Moon that really proved that anime had what it takes to succeed somewhere other than the direct-to-video market in America. The earlier efforts, like Robotech, usually only achieved mediocre ratings and were merchandising flops. Dragonball and Sailor Moon proved that anime could hold an audience long-term. That did no end of good for the industry, and paved the way for Pokemon to prove beyond dispute that anime had the ability to be huge on a level that could make it a freaking household name.

And my mother said it was just a fad :P Funny how my mother got me into manga with my first being Shaman King. Boy did that open up a can of worms.

Also I just hit writers block. To many ideas just hit me at once that I have to check out again in the books and show. I did wanted the challenge tho.
taalismn
Priest

For me, the gateway drug WAS Robotech...after that, it was ordering stuff through Books Nippan...the big glossy lineart books of Gundam and the like, then the early B&W translated manga through Viz and then Appleseed via Dark Horse. This shielded me from Pokemon and Sailor Moon("Get a tourniquet around her leg! That should stop the bleeding!" "Damn it, Rei, you just HAD to threaten the lady in the 'ESWAT' uniform, didn't you???!!!" "What was that, a handCANNON?!" "I think she called it a 'gong'!" "GIMME EITHER A SAILOR HEALING OR A SAILOR PAINKILLER RIGHT NOW!!!!").
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
SRoss
Knight

Unread post by SRoss »

taalismn wrote:For me, the gateway drug WAS Robotech...after that, it was ordering stuff through Books Nippan...the big glossy lineart books of Gundam and the like, then the early B&W translated manga through Viz and then Appleseed via Dark Horse. This shielded me from Pokemon and Sailor Moon("Get a tourniquet around her leg! That should stop the bleeding!" "Damn it, Rei, you just HAD to threaten the lady in the 'ESWAT' uniform, didn't you???!!!" "What was that, a handCANNON?!" "I think she called it a 'gong'!" "GIMME EITHER A SAILOR HEALING OR A SAILOR PAINKILLER RIGHT NOW!!!!").

Could be worse, my gateway drug was G-Force, Ulysses 31 and Captain Harlock (though the last two were only available in French, which I couldn't at the time speak).
Arnie100
Knight

For me, it was Star Blazers and Battle of the Planets.
Seto Kaiba
Knight

Chronicler wrote:And my mother said it was just a fad :P

Heh, yep... sometimes authority figures aren't too good at determining what'll be a hit and what won't.

I remember my parents telling me that Pokemon was just a fad... the games have now sold roughly twice as many copies as there are people in Japan, and the anime's looking at its 835th episode this coming Thursday.

Chronicler wrote:Funny how my mother got me into manga with my first being Shaman King. Boy did that open up a can of worms.

My first few anime titles were Dragonball, Macross, and The Vision of Escaflowne... followed a while later by Cowboy Bebop and Trigun.

taalismn
Priest

Seto Kaiba wrote:[... followed a while later by Cowboy Bebop and Trigun.

Came to Cowboy Bebop late. Though I particularly enjoyed the Earth episode where they try to capture Ed's father and he almost absentmindedly beats the snot out of them. then confesses that he can't remember if Ed's a boy or a girl(but he loves his kid, nevertheless). And the end twist to the devolution virus episode was pure poetry.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Arnie100
Knight

Anyone watch Area 88?
taalismn
Priest

Arnie100 wrote:Anyone watch Area 88?

Comics, not the animation.
Kinda bummer, though; Shinn FINALLY makes it out but regards himself as so tainted by the experience he effectively walks away from a chance at happiness.

Frankly, I thought the war could have easily been enfolded into Robotech's 'Global Civil War', as, at least in the comics, we see nukes being used in the conflict.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Chronicler
Adventurer

still have somewhat of a block, didn't help with medication change and school, but here is a little bit of the fic. Had to show something :?

The shuttle descended towards the planet, its destination was clear as day. It was not hard for the Zentraedi to find Master Zors outpost. All the signs pointed to his after shifting through the data left behind in the now fragmented A.I. All aboard knew what the mission was, they were uneasy about it as it called for the capture of the first master. High Lord Breetai was to lead this team, one of Dolza’s most trusted subordinates to handle such a mission.

“Childs play,” thought Breetai. “One man to capture he says” his teeth clenched. Even though he was loyal to Dolza and the Masters his loyalty was always with Master Zor. Breetai had to sever that once the empire wide attack hit. “But why did it have to be me?”

The thought was interrupted as the pilot told him that they were there. Breath exhaled but never gave a hint of a sigh within his mind. The six others in the ship prepped their rifles. All of them only had one clip in, they never thought that there would be battle just for one man. The shuttle gave a dull thud as it landed just outside the complex, the sides splitting to spill out the giants.

The compound was a simple one. A few administrative buildings to one corner, a large parade field for mecha, or Zentraedi to get by, and a large hanger that held Zor’s personal ships. All was dark in all but the hanger, its large doors wide open to show the light that was still on. Breetai was a bit cautious at first but a glance in the hanger showed that it was mostly empty, nothing dangerous at that.

There on one of the catwalks stood a cloaked figure. “Well, well! Welcome my guests!” Called the figure. “I was expecting different guests, but since you are all here why not stay a few.”

Breetai soon stride over to the catwalk, it was just at the height of his chest. The man in the cloak got a better look at the Zentraedi before him, his eyes in shock. Zor flipped back his hood revealing the greying hairs. “Breetai!” He exclaimed, “By God what are you doing here!?!”
taalismn
Priest

:shock: "I haven't seen you since that weekend in Minas Tiroth!"
:badbad: "...We agreed NEVER to speak of Minas Tiroth."

Amongst the phrases you NEVER utter: "He's only one man, how much of a fight can he possibly put up?"
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Chronicler
Adventurer

taalismn wrote::shock: "I haven't seen you since that weekend in Minas Tiroth!"
:badbad: "...We agreed NEVER to speak of Minas Tiroth."

Amongst the phrases you NEVER utter: "He's only one man, how much of a fight can he possibly put up?"

Well in this case they are going to fight invid, it's just that they don't know. Plus if Zor wanted to fight he would have at least destroyed 1/4th of the "guests" in the first volley.

Old man Zor Alt: "You would think the Masters would have bombarded me for the things I pulled off, but no they need me for my brain."

Zor Prime: "Wait, I have a brain in this?"

Old man Zor alt: "Different time line anything can happen :wink: "
taalismn
Priest

Also NEVER utter: "He's only an old man, how much of a fight can he possibly put up?"

Many an Eastern martial artist has had his hinney whipped for saying that.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Chronicler
Adventurer

Wow its been a long time. Anyways I had to put everything on hold as my life took a nose dive these past 3(?) Months. So things are somewhat back on track. Been looking at two other fan projects, both visions and illustrated for ideas and info. Going to contact them to see if I can inter grate some of the stuff they are doing, maybe help with some things.

Anyways sorry for necroing this thread, it will be back on track.
taalismn
Priest

Chronicler wrote:Wow its been a long time. Anyways I had to put everything on hold as my life took a nose dive these past 3(?) Months. So things are somewhat back on track. Been looking at two other fan projects, both visions and illustrated for ideas and info. Going to contact them to see if I can inter grate some of the stuff they are doing, maybe help with some things.

Anyways sorry for necroing this thread, it will be back on track.

As the OP of this thread, you are absolutely allowed to necro it, unlike other amateur necromancer-wannabees. :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”