Update to LeElf's DA gallery

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

TheElf
Explorer

Update to LeElf's DA gallery

Unread post by TheElf »

A little cheesecake from The Elf. I'm still around, but other projects have me busy. Here is a little what if...

Some crunchiness to follow soon hopefully.

http://leelf.deviantart.com/art/ROBOTEC ... -445635227
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Update to LeElf's DA gallery

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Calculus? Mint? *shakes head* :)
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

having worked at a 6th grade school now, i've decided Annie was about 11-12 years old in the series.. old enough to understand things like romance and be interested in it, young enough to still look like a little kid. also the sheer energy kids have at that age matches up well with her, as does her inability to think things through completely.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

TheElf wrote:A little cheesecake from The Elf. I'm still around, but other projects have me busy. Here is a little what if...

Eh... considering Mint was just a kid in the animation, it seems kinda wrong somehow. :-?

glitterboy2098 wrote:having worked at a 6th grade school now, i've decided Annie was about 11-12 years old in the series.. old enough to understand things like romance and be interested in it, young enough to still look like a little kid.

Officially she was 13 or 14 when she first appeared in the series. Her birth year is given as 2029.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Calculus? Mint? *shakes head* :)

Goes with her physics course; she's building a reflex warhead for her mid-terms.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
TheElf
Explorer

Unread post by TheElf »

Seto Kaiba wrote:
TheElf wrote:A little cheesecake from The Elf. I'm still around, but other projects have me busy. Here is a little what if...

Eh... considering Mint was just a kid in the animation, it seems kinda wrong somehow. :-?

Hmm, by that rationale then Lisa Hayes in the same depiction would be wrong too as she appears as a kid in the animation. So does Minmay...

In this work she is in college. so 20+, perhaps working on a masters? 23+??
SRoss
Knight

Unread post by SRoss »

Looking like that, I can suddenly see Lunk becoming prematurely grey. :roll:
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

TheElf wrote:Hmm, by that rationale then Lisa Hayes in the same depiction would be wrong too as she appears as a kid in the animation. So does Minmay...

Not really, no... Mint/Annie is much younger than either of them, and even at the end of the series she's underage. To me, it feels a bit wrong because she's presented as being rather immature for the age her biographical material cites, and she never really "grows up" during the series. She always keeps her very childish, impulsive behavior. She's sort of in that "kid sister" territory, y'know? (YMMV, naturally.)

Barring her brief flashbacks, Misa/Lisa is always depicted as being both legally and emotionally an adult in Macross/Robotech, perhaps too much so and she has to "thaw out" with a younger man. The series starts Minmay as kind of childish for her age, but she's still almost an adult, and she grows up both age-wise and emotionally as the series goes on and finishes it as an adult.

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
TheElf
Explorer

Unread post by TheElf »

Seto Kaiba wrote:
TheElf wrote:Hmm, by that rationale then Lisa Hayes in the same depiction would be wrong too as she appears as a kid in the animation. So does Minmay...

Not really, no... Mint/Annie is much younger than either of them, and even at the end of the series she's underage. To me, it feels a bit wrong because she's presented as being rather immature for the age her biographical material cites, and she never really "grows up" during the series. She always keeps her very childish, impulsive behavior. She's sort of in that "kid sister" territory, y'know? (YMMV, naturally.)

Barring her brief flashbacks, Misa/Lisa is always depicted as being both legally and emotionally an adult in Macross/Robotech, perhaps too much so and she has to "thaw out" with a younger man. The series starts Minmay as kind of childish for her age, but she's still almost an adult, and she grows up both age-wise and emotionally as the series goes on and finishes it as an adult.

I don't follow your logic. Lisa IS portrayed in the OSM as being a child in some scenes. I realie she is much older and "legal" in her normal appearance for 99% of the animation. "Almost an adult" is still wrong. I've portrayed a grown up Annie. Older in my work (more than likely) than both Minmei and Lisa at the start of the Macross series. For that matter older than Dana too. There is no precedent for how Annie matures in the OSM. Thus, I took a fictional "what if" stab at it for fun. If it makes you feel any better I think Annie in New Gen is older than that green haired chick from Frontier...now talk about wrong! ;P
Seto Kaiba
Knight

TheElf wrote:I don't follow your logic. Lisa IS portrayed in the OSM as being a child in some scenes.

All of what, once... and in a flashback at that. The point is that the overwhelming majority of her actual depiction is as an adult, and a mature individual. The reason Mint/Annie feels a bit wrong to depict in an overtly "sexy" manner is because she spends the entirety of MOSPEADA/Robotech depicted as very young and someone who looks and acts even younger than she is. To me, it just feels a tiny bit on the creepy side... like having your buddy say "Hey man, your kid sister is gonna be so hot in a couple of years". Obviously not everybody is going to have that reaction... I know it wasn't your intent, and it is well-drawn regardless.

TheElf wrote:Older in my work (more than likely) than both Minmei and Lisa at the start of the Macross series.

Actually, no... according to the Robotech stats, Lisa would still be older. Minmei wouldn't, but she still finished her respective saga at 21, while Mint finished hers at all of about 14. For Macross the ages are a bit different, but Misa still started the series at 19 and finished it at 22, and Minmay was 19 when it ended, and everybody's two years older in the DYRLverse.

TheElf wrote:There is no precedent for how Annie matures in the OSM.

That's kinda my point... it feels a bit wrong to me because Annie/Mint DOESN'T mature in the series. She doesn't grow up physically or emotionally. She's every bit the kid she was at the start when the war ends and the Inbit leave.

Then again, the treatment of Aisha/Ariel is more than slightly creepy in hindsight even without a fanart interpretation or Tommy's subsequent **** job in RTSC. She might be physically mature, but mentally she's all of about two when Stick/Scott is forcing his affections on her. Fridge horror at its finest.

TheElf
Explorer

Unread post by TheElf »

Seto Kaiba wrote:
TheElf wrote:I don't follow your logic. Lisa IS portrayed in the OSM as being a child in some scenes.

All of what, once... and in a flashback at that. The point is that the overwhelming majority of her actual depiction is as an adult, and a mature individual. The reason Mint/Annie feels a bit wrong to depict in an overtly "sexy" manner is because she spends the entirety of MOSPEADA/Robotech depicted as very young and someone who looks and acts even younger than she is. To me, it just feels a tiny bit on the creepy side... like having your buddy say "Hey man, your kid sister is gonna be so hot in a couple of years". Obviously not everybody is going to have that reaction... I know it wasn't your intent, and it is well-drawn regardless.

Oh I know. I admit I am quibbling. But it still goes against your base logic, though you have clarified, and I understand your point. But Minmay and here pre-adult sensuality is at the core of Macross' sex appeal. So hard to defend that one..

And Thanks for the compliment.

Seto Kaiba wrote:
TheElf wrote:Older in my work (more than likely) than both Minmei and Lisa at the start of the Macross series.

Actually, no... according to the Robotech stats, Lisa would still be older. Minmei wouldn't, but she still finished her respective saga at 21, while Mint finished hers at all of about 14. For Macross the ages are a bit different, but Misa still started the series at 19 and finished it at 22, and Minmay was 19 when it ended, and everybody's two years older in the DYRLverse.

Like I said, she's older. I didn't specify in the write up (didn't think it would be necessary!), but she is twenty something. In hindsight (a luxury since I am the artist) she is now officially 24 in the picture. lol.

Seto Kaiba wrote:
TheElf wrote:There is no precedent for how Annie matures in the OSM.

That's kinda my point... it feels a bit wrong to me because Annie/Mint DOESN'T mature in the series. She doesn't grow up physically or emotionally. She's every bit the kid she was at the start when the war ends and the Inbit leave.

I don't think that is a fair comparison vis a vis Lisa, The entire New Gen series can't be longer than a year or so. And again, if any aging were to be noted in the OSM by your logic then a switch would be thrown and all would be un-creepy?

Seto Kaiba wrote:
TheElf wrote:Then again, the treatment of Aisha/Ariel is more than slightly creepy in hindsight even without a fanart interpretation or Tommy's subsequent **** job in RTSC. She might be physically mature, but mentally she's all of about two when Stick/Scott is forcing his affections on her. Fridge horror at its finest.

Well so much for my next NEW GEN piece!... :( Though I have to admit to wondering how old Miriya, or the Muses, or any other female clone might be...

I guess it's a matter of personal perspective. As a father of two young girls I guess I got a little defensive because I NEVER considered the work to be anywhere NEAR the line. That is my perspective. Your's obviously doesn't allow for a young character that doesn't age at all in the only series she appears in to be able to mature later in life and be presented, subsequently, in an attractive light.

How would you feel if a sequel to New Gen depicted all the characters 5-10 years older? Would it be less creepy to see Annie as an attractive adult then?
Seto Kaiba
Knight

TheElf wrote:But Minmay and here pre-adult sensuality is at the core of Macross' sex appeal. [...]

What? Apart from some minor costume changes in Macross the First, Minmay's sex appeal is never really a subject that series brings up beyond "Hikaru is a teenage boy, Minmay is a teenage girl". It's not like Robotech II: the Sentinels, which felt the need to delve into some rather uncomfortable things like Minmei sleeping around with married men and stalking her ex.

TheElf wrote:I don't think that is a fair comparison vis a vis Lisa, The entire New Gen series can't be longer than a year or so. And again, if any aging were to be noted in the OSM by your logic then a switch would be thrown and all would be un-creepy?

The official timeline places the New Generation at something like a year and a half in total... and there's not really a clear definition of how much time passed in the original MOSPEADA... but yeah, if they had made the events in the series span enough time that she actually grew up in the series and was an adult at the end, I probably wouldn't find it creepy. She would have matured in the series itself, and so the enduring conception of the character wouldn't be an impulsive, deeply immature kid who looks a lot younger than her 13 years.

TheElf wrote:Your's obviously doesn't allow for a young character that doesn't age at all in the only series she appears in to be able to mature later in life and be presented, subsequently, in an attractive light.

Eh... I just think it's a wee bit strange to look at a character who's barely in her teens and doesn't even look it and say "Y'know what, I'm gonna draw a sexy version of that". Maybe I'm just sensitive to it because I have a younger sister who's much younger than me, and would find it intensely creepy if there was someone looking at her at that age and thinking "She's gonna be hot in ten years", y'know?

taalismn
Priest

Well, then, for equal time, we should perhaps ask for what Scott, Rand, Rook, and Lancer look like in ten years? :D
"Good god, what happened to your TEETH?!"
"What happened to your hair, man?"
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
SRoss
Knight

Unread post by SRoss »

Heard in the campus pub.

Magruder: (Points at Annie) "You know, I used to be married to her."

"Yeah, sure bub." :roll:
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Well the comments below specify she is 24 in the image so what is the problem?
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Seto Kaiba wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:having worked at a 6th grade school now, i've decided Annie was about 11-12 years old in the series.. old enough to understand things like romance and be interested in it, young enough to still look like a little kid.

Officially she was 13 or 14 when she first appeared in the series. Her birth year is given as 2029.

one of the reasons i speculated on the younger age is beecause 11-12 year olds wouldn't mature rapidly enough mentally or physically to really see much of it on screen. between 13 and 15 you see a fairly major change physically in young women, as they go to a more adult body, which we don't see Annie do. mentally they stop thinking like a kid and start thinking more like an adult (albeit a relatively uninformed adult).. their brains actually undergo physical changes in the process.

as you've pointed out, we don't really see Annie undergo either of these in the show. she definately gains a few street smarts along the way, but she's still basically a child playing at being an adult.. which the hallmark of 11-12 year olds. unlike adults and near adults, they don't tend to 'mature' via experiences.. they remain childlike in their ways, and generally won't begin to act truly adult until after the physical changes start. but they do learn from experiences, and apply those lessons in a fashion that make sense to their more childlike personality. we do see that with Annie.

but i will admit that 13-14 could work as well.. in older times when diets were more restricted and health care more limited, puberty set in later than it does today. in the reconstruction period after the 1st war, and especially in the post-invid times, food and medicine would be much more restricted, so it is possible people start physically maturing later than they do in the real world today. (another side effect would be that people born after the invid arrived would grow up to be shorter on average than people IRL today.. diet and health care early in life has a big effect on physical size/height. one of the reasons that the average height today is somewhat taller than the average height from 100 years ago.)

jaymz wrote:Well the comments below specify she is 24 in the image so what is the problem?

sometimes people have a hard time mentally accepting that the good looking adult they are looking at was the person they knew as a little kid.. all they see in their minds eye is that young kid, and any feelings of physical attraction they feel for the adult depiction puts them in a weird place mentally.
Last edited by glitterboy2098 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
taalismn
Priest

jaymz wrote:Well the comments below specify she is 24 in the image so what is the problem?

Just the uneasy transition of a character, part of whose canon onscreen schtick is mooning about romantic activity when she's not the age for it(by modern day standards), to a fan setting where she IS the age for it.

It would be like http://onceuponageek.com/2008/12/10/charlie-brown-manga-style/
You grow up with them being frozen in media amber, then suddenly you're confronted with them not simply hitting puberty, but already through it.
Gotta expect some mental whiplash.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

The Elf, I still like your stuff a lot. Keep up the great work.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

glitterboy2098 wrote:one of the reasons i speculated on the younger age is beecause 11-12 year olds wouldn't mature rapidly enough mentally or physically to really see much of it on screen. between 13 and 15 you see a fairly major change physically in young women, as they go to a more adult body, which we don't see Annie do. mentally they stop thinking like a kid and start thinking more like an adult (albeit a relatively uninformed adult).. their brains actually undergo physical changes in the process.

This of course assumes Annie's genetics don't result in a "kid" like look/size even if she is older. So one also has to consider the possibility that Annie is just immature for her age due to people seeing a person who looks like a little kid even though she may be closer to their age than she appears given how much drifting she is implied to do before linking up with Rand and Scott.

Now Canon has taken a different view point than the above, but just watching the show without morphable background information one can construct her to be younger (view taken by TBTB), but it is also possible that she is not normal in her development (adults can be under 5ft tall afterall).
parkhyun
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by parkhyun »

parkhyun wrote:Could someone please draw us a picture of Armored VFs with corpse paint buzz-sawing Zentraedi in half while a Mac-II stomps on a meltran in power armor, impales a Zentraedi warrior with one arm and blasts through a crowd with another? I keep imagining it in my head, and it's super cool.

Pretty please. Cherry on top, even. If anyone can do it and make sure I die a happy man, you can.

More details here: http://palladium-megaverse.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=141923&start=250

Corpse paint, btw, is what Norwegian black metal bands put on their faces to look super evil and Satanic.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”