Who actually plays the RPG?

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Do you play the 2nd edition Robotech RPG in person regularly?

Yes... Every week or two (or more often!)
32%
Yes... Every month or so
5%
Sort of... Every few months if you're lucky
16%
No... Haven't played for months
No votes
No... Haven't played for years
16%
No... Never played this current version of Robotech
32%

Total votes: 38

bielmic
Dungeon Crawler

Who actually plays the RPG?

Unread post by bielmic »

Just checking to see the play habits (or wants) of the community here on the forums. I check in every once in a while and it seems like the most active threads have almost nothing to do with actual RPG play and are more mental exercises about Robotech or the original anime series (like the fusion thread)... or are "what if?" wish listing threads. Does anyone here actually play on a regular basis in person with a regular group? I've got nothing against play by email or remote play (nor about the type of threads described above) but I'm just genuinely curious about the frequency of local in person groups for Robotech.
Congratulations, Palladium Books. You just threw away a customer of 28 years because of how you handled Robotech Tactics.
Chronicler
Adventurer
Comment: "... and that is why you should never put a spork in a toaster."
-Over heard conversation in highschool

Re: Who actually plays the RPG?

Unread post by Chronicler »

Been trying to get my local players to play. I most likely to start when I'm in college to get a group. A lot of people heard of rt here at hga here.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I am currently in a RT:NG game that is running every friday in the PB chats.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
bielmic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bielmic »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:I am currently in a RT:NG game that is running every friday in the PB chats.

Are you the person who answered yes in the poll by chance?
Congratulations, Palladium Books. You just threw away a customer of 28 years because of how you handled Robotech Tactics.
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

bielmic wrote:Just checking to see the play habits (or wants) of the community here on the forums. [...]

Eh... my answer was that I've never played the current edition of Robotech. Mind you, that comes with an asterisk or five. I do use the "2nd Edition" of the Robotech RPG... just not for its intended purpose. My players and I use it as an obvious starting point for games based upon the original Japanese Macross and, to a lesser extent, MOSPEADA... after a fair amount of conversion and correction. The mechanics are solid enough, and since the 2nd Edition's content from the core book and Macross Saga sourcebook is more OSM than Robotech these days it's not exactly hard. I'm poking around at revisions to my heavily errata'd version of the old Macross II game to bring it into line with 2nd Edition, and working on a story for a future campaign set after Macross 30.

bielmic wrote:I check in every once in a while and it seems like the most active threads have almost nothing to do with actual RPG play and are more mental exercises about Robotech or the original anime series (like the fusion thread)... or are "what if?" wish listing threads. Does anyone here actually play on a regular basis in person with a regular group?

Oh, there are some that do... but, as with the previous edition, the vast majority of the people who buy it will never run a single session of the game. Many Robotech fans purchase the RPG not as a game, but as a sort of ad hoc reference series for the Robotech universe in the absence of anything approximating a real anime franchise's art books in either content or quality.

(You could think of the kind of discussions that go on here as extended brainstorming sessions.)

bielmic wrote:I've got nothing against play by email or remote play (nor about the type of threads described above) but I'm just genuinely curious about the frequency of local in person groups for Robotech.

I can honestly say that the last time I personally encountered or sat in on a session of the Robotech RPG was back in 2004... but they seem to either be somewhat stealthy or they come and go in waves. The Macross stuff I'm using 2E for... last playtest session was two days ago, though the start of an actual campaign may be pushed back as my players have expressed an interest in doing a Star Wars game for a bit... which has forced me to do a LOT of homework as GM, since I'm not a SW fan. :?
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
bielmic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bielmic »

Using it live in person for Macross counts as a positive in my book as well. At least one of the "weekly" responses though is a mistake as I was looking for people who play live in person together physically in the same room. No worries (and no insult intended for pbp/pbm/chat/online games) but I was trying to gauge the relative size of in person Robotech 2e groups. I haven't had any luck drumming up interest locally and was curious. Thanks for the responses in any case.
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

bielmic wrote:Using it live in person for Macross counts as a positive in my book as well. At least one of the "weekly" responses though is a mistake as I was looking for people who play live in person together physically in the same room. [...]

'bout half-and-half on the physical presence part of it for me... my long-running Macross II game and the Macross 30-era game are both play-by-post with guys from all around the planet, but I've done in-person sessions too (my SW game will be in-person at my house). My test group/guinea pigs for the Macross 30 game playtest is in-person, five players at present (enough for a single VF platoon and an ace pilot).

bielmic wrote:I haven't had any luck drumming up interest locally and was curious. Thanks for the responses in any case.

It seems to vary a lot... the really active area for Robotech is SoCal, while most of the rest of the country ignores the heck out of RT most days. I'm practically in Palladium's backyard and my local game store special-orders the RT stuff for me because nobody else who goes there asks for it.

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
bielmic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bielmic »

Seto Kaiba wrote:It seems to vary a lot... the really active area for Robotech is SoCal, while most of the rest of the country ignores the heck out of RT most days. I'm practically in Palladium's backyard and my local game store special-orders the RT stuff for me because nobody else who goes there asks for it.

Lol, an anime IP more popular in the region of the country with the highest Asian decent population? Sounds as good of a reason as any... unless it's the Persians! :)
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

I've been running a Macross era game on www.rpol.net for almost 8 years now come February 8th. I'm also running a 2nd Robotech War game set on Mars, and I just started a New Gen era game set in 2038 just prior to the 10th Mars Division arrival to Earth.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
SailorCallie
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: I wanna nuke!

Unread post by SailorCallie »

jedi078 wrote:I've been running a Macross era game on http://www.rpol.net for almost 8 years now come February 8th. I'm also running a 2nd Robotech War game set on Mars, and I just started a New Gen era game set in 2038 just prior to the 10th Mars Division arrival to Earth.

:-D
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

SailorCallie wrote:
jedi078 wrote:I've been running a Macross era game on http://www.rpol.net for almost 8 years now come February 8th. I'm also running a 2nd Robotech War game set on Mars, and I just started a New Gen era game set in 2038 just prior to the 10th Mars Division arrival to Earth.

:-D

Well I'm always looking for new players.

I run my games in such a way that it is often easy to add new player characters as replacements fresh from training or transfers from other units.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
Pouncer
Explorer

Unread post by Pouncer »

My group is playing on Mondays.

-POUNCER
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

I haven't played 2nd Edition, but I run Rifts and some of the rules from that have been carried over. Plus i like to use the tech in that setting more like they use military tech in Robotech (larger scale battles, using the right tool for the job vs armor etc...).
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Raiden

Unread post by Raiden »

Due to my work schedule, I've had to run my games as Play by Post. Currently have a Robotech game that's just over a year old now using the 2nd Edition, based on my idea of what happens after Shadow Chronicles.
Seto Kaiba
Knight

bielmic wrote:Lol, an anime IP more popular in the region of the country with the highest Asian decent population? Sounds as good of a reason as any... unless it's the Persians! :)

Actually, as far as I've been able to ascertain, there are very few Asian Robotech fans... the SoCal group is mostly white and Hispanic, though I'm not sure how many of them actually play the RPG. Those guys are the single largest concentration of Robotech fans on the map, but they're mainly 85ers in their 30s or 40s now.

Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

Only know a handful who play up here. And that's not Robotech, but Rifts and Nightbane, mostly. Only time I've got the play the game so far, has been at the OH. And that was at the last 2 times they had it and the only 2 times I've went.

Seto Kaiba wrote:
bielmic wrote:Lol, an anime IP more popular in the region of the country with the highest Asian decent population? Sounds as good of a reason as any... unless it's the Persians! :)

Actually, as far as I've been able to ascertain, there are very few Asian Robotech fans... the SoCal group is mostly white and Hispanic, though I'm not sure how many of them actually play the RPG. Those guys are the single largest concentration of Robotech fans on the map, but they're mainly 85ers in their 30s or 40s now.

That last part, is me. :oops:
Seto Kaiba
Knight

Alpha 11 wrote:That last part, is me. :oops:

Yeah, I'm only in my 20s... I keep gettin' told that I'm a young'un. :lol:

Chronicler
Adventurer
Comment: "... and that is why you should never put a spork in a toaster."
-Over heard conversation in highschool

Unread post by Chronicler »

Seto Kaiba wrote:
Alpha 11 wrote:That last part, is me. :oops:

Yeah, I'm only in my 20s... I keep gettin' told that I'm a young'un. :lol:

I'm probably the youngest here since I just turned on the drinking age. I'm surprised that people think I don't know robotech (or other older cartoons) when I've actually watched it with my father and on toonami when they rerun them in the early 90's (or was it mid?).

But on topic, I've been trying to get people to play RT or Rifts just to try something different. But the local gamers want to play pathfinder or the one game my friends been developing for the past 10 years (which is really good by the way). It's not easy to drum up a game when this would be my first time GMing.
Kryptt
Adventurer
Comment: Macross fan first
Robotech fan second

Unread post by Kryptt »

I'm in SoCal and I've seen more support over the last couple of years for macross than RT. I'm not surprised if there is a large RT following. Its huge in the Latin countries. My 10yr old only knows macross not RT. Thanks to the video game and the RRT ks. Whenever I pass by HG I always get the urge to stop by say hello and to tell them to leave macross alone.lol Next time I'm on the strip maybe I should just pop in. :D

Im currently participating in a PbP game. Once I make sense of the rules I'm going out to my local shop and see if I can sucker in some folks to try it out. Guess I'll be my own MA.

Seto is right. Were mostly in our 30's and Asian, Latin, and White. Although no one mentions RT unless it's to mock it. Man it's like you have to be a closet RT fan. :roll: Still I and many here prefer macross over RT.
Alpha 11
Palladin

Kryptt wrote:I'm in SoCal and I've seen more support over the last couple of years for macross than RT. I'm not surprised if there is a large RT following. Its huge in the Latin countries. My 10yr old only knows macross not RT. Thanks to the video game and the RRT ks. Whenever I pass by HG I always get the urge to stop by say hello and to tell them to leave macross alone.lol Next time I'm on the strip maybe I should just pop in. :D

Im currently participating in a PbP game. Once I make sense of the rules I'm going out to my local shop and see if I can sucker in some folks to try it out. Guess I'll be my own MA.

Seto is right. Were mostly in our 30's and Asian, Latin, and White. Although no one mentions RT unless it's to mock it. Man it's like you have to be a closet RT fan. :roll: Still I and many here prefer macross over RT.

I'm not assamed to be an RT fan and will shout it from the top of my house. :D For me its Robotech 1st with Macross and Gundam in close 2nd and 3rd. I'm just a big robot fan, period.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

I have to ask, why does the question specify 'in person'?

it is just meant to refer to actually playing not just owning, or is it explicitly referring to 'physical gathering of groups' as opposed to Chatrooms or skype?

And if the latter definition is being used, why?
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Seto Kaiba
Knight

Chronicler wrote:I'm probably the youngest here since I just turned on the drinking age. I'm surprised that people think I don't know robotech (or other older cartoons) when I've actually watched it with my father and on toonami when they rerun them in the early 90's (or was it mid?). [...]

Yeah, there's a good chance you're the youngest... I've only known one fan younger, and that guy gave up on RT a couple years back after Shadow Chronicles came out. I'm not really surprised that folks wouldn't think of people being aware of RT via its Toonami airing... it did so poorly there that Toonami actually dropped it from the lineup.

Kryptt wrote:I'm in SoCal and I've seen more support over the last couple of years for macross than RT.

Not really surprising... the anime industry started turning against rewrites as far back as 1991, and the way Harmony Gold has been lashing out at fan projects and has interfered with rather more popular franchises like Macross and MechWarrior hasn't endeared them to the audience they're trying to appeal to.

Kryptt wrote:I'm not surprised if there is a large RT following. Its huge in the Latin countries.

Yeah, I've noticed that too... the Spanish-speaking fan sites seem to be where the last of the Robotech franchise's life is. Unfortunately, the actions of a few bad apples have given a bad reputation to the Spanish-speaking fandom among anime hobbyists in general.

13eowulf wrote:I have to ask, why does the question specify 'in person'?

Presumably the OP's wondering how many of us actually sit down, face-to-face with our players, and play the game. Robotech fans are few and far between these days, so it's much more common to have play-by-post.

Alpha 11
Palladin

Seto Kaiba wrote:
Kryptt wrote:I'm not surprised if there is a large RT following. Its huge in the Latin countries.

Yeah, I've noticed that too... the Spanish-speaking fan sites seem to be where the last of the Robotech franchise's life is. Unfortunately, the actions of a few bad apples have given a bad reputation to the Spanish-speaking fandom among anime hobbyists in general.

This is the first I've heard of that. Can you give more details, if possible?
bielmic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bielmic »

Seto Kaiba wrote:
13eowulf wrote:I have to ask, why does the question specify 'in person'?

Presumably the OP's wondering how many of us actually sit down, face-to-face with our players, and play the game. Robotech fans are few and far between these days, so it's much more common to have play-by-post.

Pretty much that. I'm personally only interested in local RPG campaigns and was curious if others have had the same poor luck as I've had in finding the same. I specifically excluded the other types of games several times in the first post and poll but I've still gotten several poll false positives from people who voted yes anyways. As I've said multiple times, I have nothing against the pbp, chat room, remote play, pbm or any other type of games (if you're having fun doing it, who am I to argue?) but that's simply not what I was inquiring about.
SailorCallie
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: I wanna nuke!

Unread post by SailorCallie »

Yes I've played the Robotech RPG, both 1st and 2nd editions. Have yet to play in person, but have done so via Play-by-Post in the past.
bielmic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bielmic »

SailorCallie wrote:Yes I've played the Robotech RPG, both 1st and 2nd editions. Have yet to play in person, but have done so via Play-by-Post in the past.

So you voted "No...never"?

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”