Pdf for robotech

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Yes or no on pdf?

Yes I would like a pdf.
93%
No I don't want a pdf
7%

Total votes: 56

Kryptt
Adventurer
Comment: Macross fan first
Robotech fan second

Pdf for robotech

Unread post by Kryptt »

I think it would be great if PB could make the RT books available for download. In fact I'd like to see PB make them like the 40k digital downloads. Have a question about a rule click on it and have the link take you to the explanation. Now with the minis game coming out, pictures of painted minis in the pdf would also be apreciated. So what do you guys think?
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Re: Pdf for robotech

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

I like having a pdf on my tablet, but I'm not fully likeing the way gw has done their, nor do I want to get rid of my paper back books. I like to have the physical book as well. But I will confess its a lot easier to take my tablet with me then a box of game books.

So I voted for.
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

Kryptt
Adventurer
Robotech fan second

Unread post by Kryptt »

GW has really done a better job with their latest offerings. Just like you I find it easier to go out with my tablet than a stack of books. I LOVE having well made books to read thru when I'm at home. So it's not that I want PB to phase out books. I like the quality of the ultimate edition. Good cover art solid book design. I'm all for having both available when I feel like having one over the other. This way when making it available for iBooks whoever is working on it could tidy up some of the editing mistakes and such.
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

With kids and such... I'm moving more toward digital books. So I want good PDF of all the rpg books I own
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
bielmic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bielmic »

I support having PDFs even though I still occasionally prefer paper books. If they do PDFs, I'd hope that they would take the time to reorganize the chapters to have more intuitive flow instead of the mishmash free flowing ideas they currently are.
Congratulations, Palladium Books. You just threw away a customer of 28 years because of how you handled Robotech Tactics.
Lt Gargoyle
Champion

Kryptt wrote:GW has really done a better job with their latest offerings. Just like you I find it easier to go out with my tablet than a stack of books. I LOVE having well made books to read thru when I'm at home. So it's not that I want PB to phase out books. I like the quality of the ultimate edition. Good cover art solid book design. I'm all for having both available when I feel like having one over the other. This way when making it available for iBooks whoever is working on it could tidy up some of the editing mistakes and such.

I do not disagree with the quality, its the ipad format I don't like. I want to see all the rules on one page. Not the pop up style that they are using. And I think it be a great way to fix errors, editing or other.

I have kids and I find them touching and playing more with my electronics then my paper backs.. plus when the power is out for any length of time, my books are still usable, where as my electronics power down after a few hours

taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

I'm an ornery old book person. Much as I hate yellowed crinkled pages and peeling cover lamination, I dislike the possibility of 'DELETED' file books more.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

I voted for. I want both.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

I'd like to see them be an option alongside physical copies.

Even better, if they were available with physical copies at a discount, similar to how digital copies of movies come with many dvds/blurays.
Kryptt
Adventurer
Robotech fan second

Unread post by Kryptt »

Forar wrote:I'd like to see them be an option alongside physical copies.

Even better, if they were available with physical copies at a discount, similar to how digital copies of movies come with many dvds/blurays.

I like that idea. I see two no votes but no reason. :?:
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

I hope Palladium puts out PDFs for all its books.
Kryptt
Adventurer
Robotech fan second

Unread post by Kryptt »

Me too Alpha 11. =)
Lt Gargoyle
Champion

well you buy two copies and cut one up and scan it and bam! you have instant pdf. your not allowed to give copies away or sell it. but you are legally allowed to do that.

Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

I wouldn't say no to PDF... especially a GW-style annotated one. That'd save me a lot of grief and page-flipping, if I could just CTRL-F my way through the book to the info I need.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
Alpha 11
Palladin

Seto Kaiba wrote:I wouldn't say no to PDF... especially a GW-style annotated one. That'd save me a lot of grief and page-flipping, if I could just CTRL-F my way through the book to the info I need.

Exactly! Why have a bunch of books you would need to go threw, when all you need is a lap top so you can get the info quickly?
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

Alpha 11 wrote:
Seto Kaiba wrote:I wouldn't say no to PDF... especially a GW-style annotated one. That'd save me a lot of grief and page-flipping, if I could just CTRL-F my way through the book to the info I need.

Exactly! Why have a bunch of books you would need to go threw, when all you need is a lap top so you can get the info quickly?

Because I really do enjoy spending a few hours a month with my milk and cookies and my Palladium Books just reading :)

But...for actually GMing...a laptop with pdf's makes it soooo much easier. I do not see technology as a binary thing, I like books AND pdf's.

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Alpha 11 wrote:

Well, the books are nice for reference when time is not an issue... but when you're frantically pawing through a largely unindexed RPG book looking for a tiny tidbit of information thanks to a player thinking WAY outside the box, it's nice to be able to CTRL-F your way to success.

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
Lt Gargoyle
Champion

slade the sniper wrote:
Alpha 11 wrote:

Because I really do enjoy spending a few hours a month with my milk and cookies and my Palladium Books just reading :)

But...for actually GMing...a laptop with pdf's makes it soooo much easier. I do not see technology as a binary thing, I like books AND pdf's.

-STS

And when your power is out, you still have access to your books. and some people do not want to stare at a computer screen all day long.

Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

Either/Or is a false dichotomy. As noted by several people, they both have their strengths. Sure, I prefer curling up on the couch with a physical book. It's precisely the reason I barely use my ipad for reading things more than a few pages long. But when I'm searching for something, like an obscure rule buried in an out of the way place, CTRL-F is too useful to pass up.

For example, I played the game Malifaux, which has both a physical and digital version of a mini rules manual. Despite having bought 3 of the rules manuals (2 for myself so I was always sure my opponent had their own, and an extra as a gift to a friend) I still liked having the pdf around so I could search it, which despite being reasonably well laid out in terms of both the index, glossary and logical nature of the flow of the rules, being able to literally search the entire thing in mere seconds was a hell of a lot more efficient that flipping through dozens of pages at a quick glance.
Kryptt
Adventurer
Robotech fan second

Unread post by Kryptt »

I just hope it makes it to iBooks. Most of us leave our computers at home and have a smart phone and/or tablet. I can't imagine life without one now. Sad but true. :p
mech798
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by mech798 »

I'd love PDF's-- the fact is that as I get older, I find less and less room for books. Not only that, but a lot of people live in small apartments and move a lot, so having a PDF would be very convenient.

Of course, it could be moot-- we have no idea if the licensing with HG permits electronic publishing.
ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

Unread post by ZINO »

I'd love PDF's
PDF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PDF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PDF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PDF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hell yeah !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
Lt Gargoyle
Champion

ZINO wrote:I'd love PDF's
hell yeah !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can have PDFs. I have my all my books in PDF format and in books. just so I can take them with me with my laptop.

Seto Kaiba
Knight

Kryptt wrote:I just hope it makes it to iBooks. Most of us leave our computers at home and have a smart phone and/or tablet. I can't imagine life without one now. Sad but true. :p

Can't you manually load .pdf or .epub books onto your device?

(I know you can with Android stuff just by uploading it to your Google Play acct., but I've never owned anything running iOS.)

Even if Kevin could be persuaded to release his lines in PDF or some other eBook format like .epub or .mobi, it's another wrinkle entirely as to whether or not he could be persuaded to sell them through iBooks or the Google Play store. I don't believe even Games Workshop has experimented with that yet.

EDIT: Y'hear that Kev? This is your chance to take the initiative!

Kryptt
Adventurer
Robotech fan second

Unread post by Kryptt »

I'm able to download GW games and books thru the App Store an iBooks with no problems.
ZINO
Knight

Unread post by ZINO »

Lt Gargoyle wrote:

You can have PDFs. I have my all my books in PDF format and in books. just so I can take them with me with my laptop.

lucky !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lt Gargoyle
Champion

ZINO wrote:
Lt Gargoyle wrote:

lucky !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its not about luck. You buy the book scan the book and you now have a legal pdf copy.

jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Yep that is what i do with my books. Manually scan them in.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
ZINO
Knight

Unread post by ZINO »

ok time to buy a scanner
TiekoSora
Explorer
Comment: I've made my saving throw to disbelieve.

Unread post by TiekoSora »

Quick question, as I am not really familiar with digital books. What do you all mean by GW in your responses?
They make a wondrous mess of things. Brave amateurs, they do their part.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Games Workshop. The 800lb gorilla of miniature war gaming.

\m/
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

Also a company not terribly fond of digital formats, by my understanding, though they have somewhat relented in the last few years.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Yeah they are apparently selling PDF's now of Codex expansions and such.

\m/
TiekoSora
Explorer
Comment: I've made my saving throw to disbelieve.

Unread post by TiekoSora »

OK Thanks for the replies, I had a slim thought that might be them.
They make a wondrous mess of things. Brave amateurs, they do their part.
Seto Kaiba
Knight

Forar wrote:Also a company not terribly fond of digital formats, by my understanding, though they have somewhat relented in the last few years.

Relented in a big way, recently... they've been putting out ever-increasing amounts of the new material they're churning out in PDF and other ebook formats via Black Library.

Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

Ah, the "wait, you mean we can monetize this? DO IT! DO IT ALL!" stance.

I've heard grumbling about them getting a little crazy with such things of late, and personally I prefer physical books (and am glad I never got into any flavour of Warhammer), but it's good to have a pdf for searching (control F is way better than skimming for half an hour) or review on the go without needing to carry books around with me for that occasional option.
Seto Kaiba
Knight

Forar wrote:Ah, the "wait, you mean we can monetize this? DO IT! DO IT ALL!" stance. [...]

That's the one, yeah... they still haven't quite gotten on board with the idea of using the third party distributors like iTunes or the Google Play store, but at least they're offering .pdf, .epub, and .mobi books.

Forar wrote:I've heard grumbling about them getting a little crazy with such things of late, and personally I prefer physical books (and am glad I never got into any flavour of Warhammer), but it's good to have a pdf for searching [...]

Well, that's Games Workshop for you... the same people who brought you "grimdark" and whose game settings know nothing of sanity or moderation. Going too far is practically the status quo over there. :lol:

Still, yeah... the practical benefits of the e-book formats (.pdf, .epub, .mobi) are such that for games like tabletop or pen-and-paper RPGs they're often more convenient than the paper book.

Admittedly, if Palladium went to a practice like stickeratta I wouldn't be at all affronted either, though e-book formats would also make publishing updates to books that much easier.

Lt Gargoyle
Champion

Wait till GW and all miniature producing companies have to compete with the house hold 3-D printers we will all have.

Seto Kaiba
Knight

Lt Gargoyle wrote:Wait till GW and all miniature producing companies have to compete with the house hold 3-D printers we will all have.

Sure... in 10-15 years when there's a commercial model that doesn't cost the same as a family car, that'll probably be an issue they'll have to confront (no doubt with their own, much higher quality 3D printers for ultra-high-detail miniatures so we can appreciate every worry-line on Kaldor Draigo's permanent expression of dull surprise).

Lt Gargoyle
Champion

I don't think it will be that long. I listen to a conversation where one of the manufactures were trying to sell my Old employer a small 12x12x12 unit on a pre-order bases in San Francisco just 2 months ago. the guy was talking about how we could pump out proto types of the things we were making for customers in the silver shop. I'd say about 5 years. But you can order stuff from companies with a 3-d printer. A friend of mine gets space stations and ship for full thrust through the company. Ill see if i can get the name when i get back from alaska.

Chronicler
Adventurer
Comment: "... and that is why you should never put a spork in a toaster."
-Over heard conversation in highschool

Unread post by Chronicler »

actually I want to see RT 1st edition as pdfs along with the current stuff. But that's not going to happen unless a miracle happens with HG. :roll:
Alpha 11
Palladin

Chronicler wrote:actually I want to see RT 1st edition as pdfs along with the current stuff. But that's not going to happen unless a miracle happens with HG. :roll:

Sadly, most likely.
Seto Kaiba
Knight

Lt Gargoyle wrote:I don't think it will be that long.

Eh... I think we've got close to a decade before we see an affordable, high-precision 3D printer built with your average home user in mind. People have a tendency to overestimate the ease with which new tech like that can be made user-friendly for Joe Average. The blokes I know in parts-prototyping tend to take a more conservative view about the pace of adoption for 3D printing technology.

Still... that's not exactly something we can say is the same for PDF. Nowadays, even open source office automation software can run out documents in PDF format as a one-click thing... making it the kind of no brainer that almost anyone could pull off, if only Palladium cared enough to do so.

Lt Gargoyle
Champion

Chronicler I have all but the Revised Return of the Master on pdf. Its not hard, take your books stick them in a scanner and scan them. not even illegal unless you give them away.

Seto - I can only say we will see. but i think it would sell and that money talks when it comes to developing the technology.
as for PDFs yes it is easy and most people make them at home.

Chronicler
Adventurer

Lt Gargoyle wrote:Chronicler I have all but the Revised Return of the Master on pdf. Its not hard, take your books stick them in a scanner and scan them. not even illegal unless you give them away.

Seto - I can only say we will see. but i think it would sell and that money talks when it comes to developing the technology.

I actually don't have any of the first edition stuff except Macross II main book and source book one. I just want pdf's of it so it would be easier than banking on a good condition book off ebay that might not be in good condition.
Lt Gargoyle
Champion

Chronicler wrote:
Lt Gargoyle wrote:Chronicler I have all but the Revised Return of the Master on pdf. Its not hard, take your books stick them in a scanner and scan them. not even illegal unless you give them away.

I actually don't have any of the first edition stuff except Macross II main book and source book one. I just want pdf's of it so it would be easier than banking on a good condition book off ebay that might not be in good condition.

Well i can understand that. But copy right law i believe requires you to own them.

Chronicler
Adventurer

Lt Gargoyle wrote:
Chronicler wrote:

Well i can understand that. But copy right law i believe requires you to own them.

That's why if PB and HG released the old stuff in pdf format like they did for back issues of the rifter I'd buy those up like that. I try to avoid downloading torrents and stuff like that. But if worst comes to worst I'll just snatch up as many of the old books on ebay, with or without good condition.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

You can never replace physical books, but PDFs are way too convenient to throw on a tablet or laptop and take on the road with you. If its a quality, searchable PDF, you can Control F to find things quickly.

I really wish Palladium would offer downloads instead of me having to resort to destroying a physical book and wasting time scanning a PDF in the name of convenience. I buy the physical books anyway...why not benefit from the more practical format too?
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Seto Kaiba
Knight

Chronicler wrote:That's why if PB and HG released the old stuff in pdf format like they did for back issues of the rifter I'd buy those up like that. I try to avoid downloading torrents and stuff like that. But if worst comes to worst I'll just snatch up as many of the old books on ebay, with or without good condition.

Bah, I'd just go straight to eBay if I were you... barring the occasional attempt to fleece the more cult-ish fans, you can almost invariably find decent quality copies of old Robotech material for half or less the original retail price. Nobody wants the stuff, so increasing numbers of fed-up fans dumping collections via eBay has driven the price through the freaking floor.

EDIT: Actually, it's probably worse than that. I just did a search on there and you can get into some of those old books for as little as a buck and a half.

Seto Kaiba
Knight

Dairugger XV wrote:If I want to deal with a crossover, I have the Super Robot Wars game franchise for that, and it's not only 20+ years old, has 50+ games, and it's not limited to trying to copy one franchise [...]

If you want something similar that's actually in English, there's Project X Zone for the 3DS... it's a Namco-Bandai-Capcom-Sega collaboration that even has some SRW characters in it: Sanger Zonvolt out of OG, and Kaguya and Haken from Endless Frontier.

Dairugger XV wrote:Really, I killed my own "Robotech Unlimited" project while doing my research, and did so because I was already bored with the franchise.

The folks who are bored with the franchise, sick of being lied to/having their expectations built up and then brutally torn down, or are otherwise disenchanted with it are the ones flogging their collections on eBay... which makes it real easy for the ones who still care to get those books on the cheap and make their own PDFs (for personal use only, of course) using MS Office or OpenOffice's PDF creator tool.

Glad I'm a reason for stickin' around tho... I'll try to keep you entertained?

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”