Robotech/Voltron crossover

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

rem1093
Dungeon Crawler

Robotech/Voltron crossover

Unread post by rem1093 »

I saw this at the local comic shop. Thought I'ld put it out there for those that don't know.

http://www.dynamite.com/htmlfiles/viewP ... ch_Voltron
Alpha 11
Palladin

Re: Robotech/Voltron crossover

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

So they did went ahead with this. I'm willing to give it a shot.
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

I've read it, Very awesome book, completly non-canon, but its amazing.
The Art is great, the Story is superb...
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

I'm still undecided.....
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

Eh... I got no time for it. One gore-headed reminder of the anime industry's dark ages trying to feign life by parasitically latching onto another. Instead of fooling around with that, they should've been trying to bring out something new for Robotech that's actually original.

EDIT: The reviews I've found of it have, thus far, unanimously declared that it's OK quality-wise, but typically include some form of caveat to the effect of it being a "for fans only" title, and that it's no ambassador to those who aren't already well versed in Robotech, Voltron, or both.
Last edited by Seto Kaiba on Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

jaymz wrote:I'm still undecided.....

Over all this si gonna be a good thing for HG, Dynamite approached them, so its not like its any skin of HG or any money out of their pockets.. the Success of these books will give HG incentive to return to comic production and bring new products and storylines to Robotech.
Almost every review of the book by Professionals and experts in the field gives it positive reviews, Remembering that Robotech and Voltron are 2 of the greatest Anime's of the 80's, both defining the market. Without Robotech and Voltron the anime market today would not be as well known.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Colonel Wolfe wrote:
jaymz wrote:I'm still undecided.....

Over all this si gonna be a good thing for HG, Dynamite approached them, so its not like its any skin of HG or any money out of their pockets.. the Success of these books will give HG incentive to return to comic production and bring new products and storylines to Robotech.
Almost every review of the book by Professionals and experts in the field gives it positive reviews, Remembering that Robotech and Voltron are 2 of the greatest Anime's of the 80's, both defining the market. Without Robotech and Voltron the anime market today would not be as well known.

We can only hope in regards to new comics in the future. I don't get my hopes up as it pertains to HG having to spend money to make something for Robotech though unfortunately.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

Colonel Wolfe wrote:I've read it, Very awesome book, completly non-canon, but its amazing.

Bah...head-canon trumps all others...and leonine mecha are now in Robotech. Besides, there is already precedent...the cougar inorganic :)

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
Alpha 11
Palladin

Seto Kaiba wrote:Eh... I got no time for it. One gore-headed reminder of the anime industry's dark ages trying to feign life by parasitically latching onto another. Instead of fooling around with that, they should've been trying to bring out something new for Robotech that's actually original.

EDIT: The reviews I've found of it have, thus far, unanimously declared that it's OK quality-wise, but typically include some form of caveat to the effect of it being a "for fans only" title, and that it's no ambassador to those who aren't already well versed in Robotech, Voltron, or both.

Maybe this will help them make something new for Robotech.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Alpha 11 wrote:
Seto Kaiba wrote:Eh... I got no time for it. One gore-headed reminder of the anime industry's dark ages trying to feign life by parasitically latching onto another. Instead of fooling around with that, they should've been trying to bring out something new for Robotech that's actually original.

I thought I read that was the plan. That Dynamite after the cross-over would be doing a new series for Robotech.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

ShadowLogan wrote:
Alpha 11 wrote:

I thought I read that was the plan. That Dynamite after the cross-over would be doing a new series for Robotech.

Let's cautiously hope so.

\m/
Alpha 11
Palladin

jaymz wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:
Alpha 11 wrote:

Let's cautiously hope so.

Crossing fingers, lags, and arms. :D
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

Alpha 11 wrote:Maybe this will help them make something new for Robotech.

Sir, you are the very soul of optimism...
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
Alpha 11
Palladin

Seto Kaiba wrote:
Alpha 11 wrote:Maybe this will help them make something new for Robotech.

Sir, you are the very soul of optimism...

:D Its my favorite series of all time, so I'm going to have a lot. Plus I really want it to continue. But ya, even for me, they are taking WAY to long to get new stuff out. :x
paulvdaley
D-Bee

Unread post by paulvdaley »

As long as there are no Robotech / My Little Pony crossovers on the drawing table, everything else is fine.

I bought the Voltron book. I'm not up on my Voltron. On the first page, there's a panel with a group of military guys in RDF looking uniforms. One guy looks like Edwards wearing his REF era faceplate (which is a little weird because Edwards is shown to be full-faced) and then a one-eyed Roy Fokker doppelganger.

Are these Voltron characters? Is this panel just sort of suggesting the idea of multiple narratives and continuities in the same multi-verse? Are there just a finite number of ways to draw anime military characters?
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

paulvdaley wrote:As long as there are no Robotech / My Little Pony crossovers on the drawing table, everything else is fine.

There's apparently a well written fanwork crossing over My Little Pony and X-Com settings so MLP and Robotech crossing together could be quite awesome if done well.

paulvdaley wrote:I bought the Voltron book. I'm not up on my Voltron. On the first page, there's a panel with a group of military guys in RDF looking uniforms. One guy looks like Edwards wearing his REF era faceplate (which is a little weird because Edwards is shown to be full-faced) and then a one-eyed Roy Fokker doppelganger.

Are these Voltron characters? Is this panel just sort of suggesting the idea of multiple narratives and continuities in the same multi-verse? Are there just a finite number of ways to draw anime military characters?

The Voltron characters other than the brief showing of them before getting transported to Robotech don't show up anywhere other than that point, the cover looks purely Robotech-related. Unfortunately the first issue seems a bit low on page-count so won't get to really have a clue about how the two universes actually differ and relate to the known settings until issue 2. They handled Star Trek (original series) and Legion of Super-Heroes crossing a bit better for the intro issue.

Given the damage level on the lions I'm curious if we're going to see hybridization of Robotech and whatever one might call the Voltron technology, or be used to justify combining technology (i.e. the Alpha and Beta Veritechs) for the Robotech setting.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

paulvdaley wrote:I bought the Voltron book. I'm not up on my Voltron. On the first page, there's a panel with a group of military guys in RDF looking uniforms. One guy looks like Edwards wearing his REF era faceplate (which is a little weird because Edwards is shown to be full-faced) and then a one-eyed Roy Fokker doppelganger.

in that panel, you have versions of Folker, Edwards, Emmerson, Leonard and Reindhart (Adam). the 6th guy sitting on the left might be Lazlo Zand.
According to Fleet of Doom, Lion-Team Voltron is from Arus in the Far-reaches of the universe... and the Vehicle-Team was from in the "near"-universe, which is considered closest to Earth. so this opening Panel referring to the Galatic Alliance on Earth might be "Historical"... some kind of self-fulfilling prophecy in this Alternate-universe...
ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

Unread post by ZINO »

is this a comicbook?
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

ZINO wrote:is this a comicbook?

Yeah. I think you can buy the digital comic too
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

....just when I thought I'd awakened from this nightmare....
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
ZINO
Knight

Unread post by ZINO »

taalismn wrote:....just when I thought I'd awakened from this nightmare....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Alpha 11
Palladin

taalismn wrote:....just when I thought I'd awakened from this nightmare....

:lol: :lol:
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Rappanui wrote:there have been multiple voltrons as well. Voltron Vehicle is not even the first voltron.
according to the Voltron Story & Toylines, Voltron I is the Vehicle team, Voltron II was the "Gladiator" team, and Voltron III is the Lions...
ZINO
Knight

Unread post by ZINO »

Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Rappanui wrote:there have been multiple voltrons as well. Voltron Vehicle is not even the first voltron.
according to the Voltron Story & Toylines, Voltron I is the Vehicle team, Voltron II was the "Gladiator" team, and Voltron III is the Lions...

i seen Voltron I is the Vehicle team, and Voltron III is the Lions but not Voltron II the "Gladiator" team,wherecan we see it ??????????????
ShadowLogan
Palladin

ZINO wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:

i seen Voltron I is the Vehicle team, and Voltron III is the Lions but not Voltron II the "Gladiator" team,wherecan we see it ??????????????

I don't think you can see VGT in its entirety. IINM due to the negative response to VVT, WEP dropped the series that would have done VGT for new VLT episodes. IIRC at one time (don't know about currently), the WEP did have some animation up for it on their website. If it isn't on there, it might be up on a site like youtube.
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

The voltron wikipedia entry details all 3. Only the toys for voltron 2 were released thou
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Wrong. Fleet of doomshows 2 of the 80s voltrons together.
Here are the 3 Voltrons....
Voltron I
Voltron II
Voltron III
ZINO
Knight

Unread post by ZINO »

Colonel Wolfe wrote:Wrong. Fleet of doomshows 2 of the 80s voltrons together.
Voltron I
Voltron II
Voltron III

Voltron I
seen it had it :)
Voltron II
never seen was it made in cartoon or not ? what was it called ??? :?: :arrow: :| :?
Voltron III
seen had it too :-D :-)
ShadowLogan
Palladin

ZINO wrote:
Voltron I
Voltron II
Voltron III

Voltron I
seen it had it :)
Voltron II
never seen was it made in cartoon or not ? what was it called ??? :?: :arrow: :| :?
Voltron III
seen had it too :-D :-)

Regarding Voltron II. It is a YES AND NO situation.

Yes it was done as an animated show (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albegas).

No to it being adapted as the 3rd part to the Voltron Defender of the Universe Cartoon, as it was dropped in favor of making NEW Lion Episodes.
Alpha 11
Palladin

Voltron I
Voltron II
Voltron III

I think I might have seen the first one before.
rem1093
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by rem1093 »

slade the sniper wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:I've read it, Very awesome book, completly non-canon, but its amazing.

Bah...head-canon trumps all others...and leonine mecha are now in Robotech. Besides, there is already precedent...the cougar inorganic :)

-STS

Wile I agree they can be used, this could be somewhat scary. First they could see that the Animal form of the lions has better speed and maneuverability over the Destroids. So they biuld animal shaped Mecha with Destroid weapons, then you have Zoids in Robotech. Or they could reverse engineer the Gestalt tech and added that to the Destroids so they can combine into super Destroids. Also there is the Transformation tech, add that to the Lion (or other animal shaped) robot and you have the the Dino bots or the DD. Then you can combine it all together and create Animal shaped mecha that can transform and also combine into a super Battloid, like the Predicons. You add a Vehicle mode to it all and you have Dancouga.

As for the Voltron I, II, III,. The number part has to do with their distance from Earth not witch one came first. But as for the show itself, Voltron could have bin just like Robotech with the taking of three different shows and merging them together into one show. But instead the producers saw that the Golion was more popular then Dairugger, so they went back to the original makers of GoLion and got them to make a second season of it just for Voltron. The same go for Fleet or Doom, it was make just for Voltron in the states, not changed from another Anime like many other shows at that time.
I do wonder what would have happened if HG would have done that with Robotech. Say they saw that ASC wasn't doing well with fans and then went to the studio that did Macross and had them do a second season to it for the end of Robotech. Would it count as the first sequel, would have better legal standing with the I.P.. Considering how popular Voltron, or should I say how popular the GoLion part, is why there no use of the I.P. of the original GoLion as GoLion. But there is use of it as Voltron.
rem1093
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by rem1093 »

Rappanui wrote:Voltron alraedy had 2 US sequels, Voltron Force and Voltron 3d.

I know that there have bin new show with the GoLion Voltron. What I want to know is, what did World Events do to get complete ownership of GoLion from Toie? And now that its owned by Dreamwork, did Toie get paid? Or can they sue for the same reasons that Big West did with HG.
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

rem1093 wrote:
slade the sniper wrote:

-STS

Wile I agree they can be used, this could be somewhat scary. First they could see that the Animal form of the lions has better speed and maneuverability over the Destroids. So they biuld animal shaped Mecha with Destroid weapons, then you have Zoids in Robotech. Or they could reverse engineer the Gestalt tech and added that to the Destroids so they can combine into super Destroids. Also there is the Transformation tech, add that to the Lion (or other animal shaped) robot and you have the the Dino bots or the DD. Then you can combine it all together and create Animal shaped mecha that can transform and also combine into a super Battloid, like the Predicons. You add a Vehicle mode to it all and you have Dancouga.

:) I hope this was not to dissuade me...because, it totally had the opposite effect. Dinobots in Robotech... squee!!

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
rem1093
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by rem1093 »

slade the sniper wrote:
rem1093 wrote:
slade the sniper wrote:

-STS

:) I hope this was not to dissuade me...because, it totally had the opposite effect. Dinobots in Robotech... squee!!

-STS

I wouldn't do that. For a wile I was using the DD as a prototype mix of the Bioroid and Earth Transforming tech.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

rem1093 wrote:Wile I agree they can be used, this could be somewhat scary. First they could see that the Animal form of the lions has better speed and maneuverability over the Destroids. So they biuld animal shaped Mecha with Destroid weapons, then you have Zoids in Robotech. Or they could reverse engineer the Gestalt tech and added that to the Destroids so they can combine into super Destroids. Also there is the Transformation tech, add that to the Lion (or other animal shaped) robot and you have the the Dino bots or the DD. Then you can combine it all together and create Animal shaped mecha that can transform and also combine into a super Battloid, like the Predicons. You add a Vehicle mode to it all and you have Dancouga.

I agree the animal forms are probably better suited for Destroid missions IMHO. They get the lower height profile that was the general trend in Battloids, and get alot more room to house weapons due to their longer length, they likely also have better balance and bracing for use of really heavy weapons. While not part of HG-RT proper, the old Revell Robotech line did have a selection of multi-legged walkers. Sentinels introduced the Cougar/Hellcat Inorganic that was quadruped (and still around IINM), but don't forget about the Pegasus Horse either (and IINM the Sentinels Extras contain additional variants of the Pegasus Horse).

I don't think the engineers necessarily need Voltron to workout Gestalt technology, as the RT-Earth has been looking at it for at least 20years (Alpha-Beta combination). Granted it isn't necessarily the same type of Gestalt, but said technology should be applicable to the Destroids/nt-Battloids (and other Veritechs) if one wanted it.
cobra73
D-Bee

Unread post by cobra73 »

hello, new here...
anyone else reading this thing?
I'm at issue #4, so far the series is all right. Here are some thoughts on the series (spoilers ahead).
Well the comic is interesting and if it leads to a ongoing Robotech series all the better. However, the pace is somewhat slow for a 5 issue series. There are quite a few plot threads still in the air and i get the feeling that everything will be resolved rather quickly or left in the air with the last issue. The art is good, but there are too many panels of people talking and too few of things exploding. There are also a few "missed opportunities". For example, we see that the black lion was heavily damaged in the clash and that it is repaired by the UEDF. This resulted in it receiving new wings and boosters based on those of the VF-1. It would be logical to assume the other lions were similarly damaged and received similar modifications. But when they are shown, they were basically unchanged. It would have been cool to show the lions using destroid parts and other UEDF weapons. Another missed opportunity was the whole time dilation effect that the comet caused. For the people on Earth and Alus, 1 year had passed since the disappearance of the SDF-1 and Voltron respectively. However, for the people in the SDF-1 only moments had passed. It would have been more interesting to see how the SDF-1 would fare against the Drule empire over a longer period. They would probably had to modify their ship with technology from the Drules as Alus has little or no technology. The time dillation also gives me the feeling that the writers plan to resolve the story by using a time jump to cancel out the previous events, with the possible exception of whatever power, weapon or mecha that Rick Hunter was sent to retrieve by Alcor. This will probably be heavily featured in future Voltron comics.
cobra73
D-Bee

Unread post by cobra73 »

howdy, me again...
Issue #5 is out.
If you're wondering how was it, well just read my previous post.
About the only surprise in this issue was that they had the audacity of pulling an "Orguss" at the last minute.
Alpha 11
Palladin

Hopefully in the near future, I can get this series and see for myself.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”