Fixing the Archangel-class Colony Fortress

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Sgt Anjay
Hero

Re: Fixing the Archangel-class Colony Fortress

Unread post by Sgt Anjay »

Zor Disciple wrote:
Tiree wrote:It could also be to set up multiple colonies with one fleet. Drop 50k civilians here, then another 50k there. Who says they have to be all in the same spot?

And yes, more hands means quicker setup. So let's say 750k Civilians land on a planet, they help set up 50k to stay and move on. Those 50k are set up quicker, gives the other 700k time to stretch their legs before getting back on the ship.

There are many reasons to send more than a handful. And it doesn't necessarily mean the wandering effect. They could colonize a whole star system.

Very good point.

Agreed.
"Cuando amanece se van a inflictir, duros castigos y oscuros tormentos, a los que ni quieren ni dejan vivir" -'Posada de los Muertos'
rtsurfer
Adventurer

Unread post by rtsurfer »

The synchro cannon is how the archangel is able to hold 750,000 colonists. They aim it at an existing colony and give them a choice, get on board or get blown away. How else are they going to force all of the colonist to return to Earth after all these years?
"rtsurfer's two cent..." ;O)

Chris
Explorer

Unread post by Chris »

Vetting a planet is a good start.

Colonization might take three 'waves' (Four if you count the survey of the planet to 'vet' it.)

Wave 1: Send the military out, they 'secure' the world, set up bases, (in orbit and on the surface) and further survey the area. If things still look good then...

Wave 2: Send the first batch of colonists that are construction / administration trained to start building. They clear land, locate and begin extracting resources from the planet (timber, coal, whatever) and generally get a feel for what needs have to be met, what hazards are present, and what they have to work with. Wave 2 basically makes the 'Go / No-Go' call. If it's a No-Go, at least there is a Military outpost present as well as some resource extraction infrastructure. If it's a Go...

Wave 3: Once the Wave 2 folks say "Okay, we're ready." Load up the rest of the folks and fold them on over.
tobefrnk
Adventurer

Unread post by tobefrnk »

This is a smaller number than I expected.

10,000 to 40,000 for genetic diversity to remain intact.

http://www.blastr.com/2014-4-2/scientist-determines-how-many-people-itd-take-colonize-another-star-system
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

tobefrnk wrote:This is a smaller number than I expected.

http://www.blastr.com/2014-4-2/scientist-determines-how-many-people-itd-take-colonize-another-star-system
with all the terrible genetic disorders present in the human genome... I wouldn't mind some parts of the genetic diversity not being passed down to future generations..
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

tobefrnk wrote:This is a smaller number than I expected.

Eh... I'd take that with a grain of salt. The starting minimum population you need in order to maintain long term viability seems to be something that no two scientists can agree on. I've seen some cite numbers as low as a few thousand and as high as a hundred thousand.

Mercifully, both the planet-sized plot holes and the vague, mutually contradictory claims about the United Earth Government's (aborted) space emigration program will never need to be addressed... the UEEF's got another war on its hands already, and between the reassignment of the (almost certainly) unused original Angel-class colony ships and the destruction of the Ark Angel-class, they've never had any kind of extrasolar colony to worry about... and likely never will.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
Kargan3033
Hero

Unread post by Kargan3033 »

Wow this is an interesting thread.

I have two questions for you all.

1:What book is the Ark Angel stated out in

2:What is Macross-F?
" Ale and Whores, it's not just your reward, it's your Motivation. "
Kargan3033
Hero

Dairugger XV wrote:Kargan,

1. In terms of RPG stats, it isn't statted out to the best of my knowledge. There are some specifications for it in an art book, I believe, but that's about it.

2. Macross F is Macross Frontier the most recently aired of the Macross sequels.

Oh ok then, I guess I'll have to stat it up to fit a game I'm playing like other GM's until it's officially stated.

As for Macross I wonder if the entire Macross saga is on the market in Japan or is it a dead series?
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

Kargan3033 wrote:I have two questions for you all.

It isn't... but the basic statistical data for the ship can be found in The Art of Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles.

Kargan3033 wrote:2:What is Macross-F?

Shorthand for Macross Frontier, a sequel in the Japanese Macross franchise (the 12th animated title in production order) that aired as a 25 episode animated series in 2008. It was (and still is) enormously successful, and spawned two feature-length animated movies, an OVA, numerous manga titles, novels, video games, and even a TCG, as well as launching its two featured vocalists (May'n and Megumi Nakajima) to stardom.

Its events occur in the main Macross timeline, approximately fifty years after the start of the first space war (so, in 2059), aboard the 55th long-distance colony fleet "Macross Frontier".

Kargan3033 wrote:As for Macross I wonder if the entire Macross saga is on the market in Japan or is it a dead series?

Macross is an extremely successful metaseries in Japan... Macross Frontier was the 12th animated Macross title, and we're expecting the 16th (an as-of-yet unnamed project that was recently announced) sometime in 2015 or 2016... to say nothing of the numerous video games, novels, manga, audio dramas, and other media coming out of the franchise.

The original Macross series, as well as the first movie Macross: Do You Remember Love?, Macross II, and Macross Plus have all been released on blu-ray in recent years as well.
Last edited by Seto Kaiba on Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
Kargan3033
Hero

Seto Kaiba wrote:
Kargan3033 wrote:I have two questions for you all.

It isn't... but the basic statistical data for the ship can be found in The Art of Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles.

Kargan3033 wrote:2:What is Macross-F?

Shorthand for Macross Frontier, a sequel in the Japanese Macross franchise (the 12th animated title in production order) that aired as a 25 episode animated series in 2008. It was (and still is) enormously successful, and spawned two feature-length animated movies, an OVA, numerous manga titles, novels, video games, and even a TCG, as well as launching its two featured vocalists (May'n and Megumi Nakajima) to stardom.

Its events occur in the main Macross timeline, approximately fifty years after the start of the first space war (so, in 2059), aboard the 55th long-distance colony fleet "Macross Frontier".

Thanks for the info my friend, looks like I'll have to invest in to RT art book and thanks for the info about the Macross series being out on Blu-ray.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”