Send a letter to Jerry Bruckheimer !

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

LostOne
Champion

Re: Send a letter to Jerry Bruckheimer !

Unread post by LostOne »

Ahulane wrote:Take a look at Mutant Chronicles...

It's based off of a post apocalyptic PnP RPG...

It was? I had no idea. Never heard of it before the movie trailer.
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

LostOne wrote:I'd be curious to know how many people have written in. Too bad there is no way to get an accurate count.

I'd be curious to know whether any of Bruckheimer's people know that virtually every letter about wanting a Rifts movie has been written because of posts on Palladium's own forum by Palladium staffers.
Anthar
Hero
Comment: Killer of threads.

Unread post by Anthar »

LostOne wrote:

I wonder how many people will say the same thing about Rifts?
"I love my dad because he is awesome."-My son.
Caution these rules are unclear and may be open to gross interpretation and out right misinterpretation. GM discression is strongly advised.
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

Anthar wrote:
LostOne wrote:

I wonder how many people will say the same thing about Rifts?

Probably many. Movies reach far more people than P&P RPGs.
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

Rallan wrote:I'd be curious to know whether any of Bruckheimer's people know that virtually every letter about wanting a Rifts movie has been written because of posts on Palladium's own forum by Palladium staffers.

I doubt it would really matter. The fact that the fans care about a product enough to do so is what matters. The forum is more just prompting and providing the info for people who might not otherwise know where to find the info or might think that their letter would go ignored and be a waste of postage. But when someone in the industry tells Palaldium that it can help, they'd hurting themselves to not try by informing the fans.
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

LostOne wrote:
Rallan wrote:I'd be curious to know whether any of Bruckheimer's people know that virtually every letter about wanting a Rifts movie has been written because of posts on Palladium's own forum by Palladium staffers.

I doubt it would really matter. The fact that the fans care about a product enough to do so is what matters. The forum is more just prompting and providing the info for people who might not otherwise know where to find the info or might think that their letter would go ignored and be a waste of postage. But when someone in the industry tells Palaldium that it can help, they'd hurting themselves to not try by informing the fans.

You'd be surprised how much it matters. The internet makes it easy for a fan with a message to get in touch with thousands of other people, and for folks to swap templates and form letters around, and for the handful of fans who are motivated enough to do any real work to tell everyone else where to mail it to. The internet has massively devalued the value of petitions and letter-writing campaigns by fans, because it's pretty much a given that only a small fraction of the people writing letters would've bothered to get off their asses and do so back in the old days.

And in the case of something like Rifts, where a lot of cable sci-fi shows have bigger fan bases and where there's stuff right there on the corporate website urging fans to write letters to Jerry Bruckheimer, it's a pretty safe bet that Bruckheimer's people won't care unless they get so many letters the post office has to do a special delivery just for the fan mail.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

LostOne wrote:I'd be curious to know how many people have written in. Too bad there is no way to get an accurate count.

Obviously not enough. Judging that this thread was intended to create a fury of letter all at once...and there are only 2 pages of posts in a year and a half...I doubt JB will even cater to the true fans and we are going to see another D&D epic fail...IF the movie is even made.

Way to band together guys.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

argos wrote:Actually, I believe it was due to the massive letter writing campaign that the option was picked up again. Just because people didnt post in the thread didnt mean they didnt write a letter.

What massive letter writing campaign? Kagashi's definitely being a tad melodramatic and unrealistic by blaming the lack of a Rifts movie RIGHT NOW on the lacklustre response to this thread, but I think letters from fans probably had about as much influence as the price of Froot Loops in Madagascar on Bruckheimer's decision to keep Rifts optioned.
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Intolerance wrote:
Rallan wrote:
argos wrote:Actually, I believe it was due to the massive letter writing campaign that the option was picked up again. Just because people didnt post in the thread didnt mean they didnt write a letter.

What massive letter writing campaign? Kagashi's definitely being a tad melodramatic and unrealistic by blaming the lack of a Rifts movie RIGHT NOW on the lacklustre response to this thread, but I think letters from fans probably had about as much influence as the price of Froot Loops in Madagascar on Bruckheimer's decision to keep Rifts optioned.

IN related news, FrootLoops are tasty.

In not-so related news...Fruity pebbles are better.

I think the letter writing campaign couldn't have hurt, so it probably had some influence.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

Any word if this campaign had any impact?
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

COL. LYBOCK wrote:Boys & girls, I've been skimmin' over some o' these posts. After an hour the only question I could think of was this. Why are we wasting time trying to get Jerry "Pirates/CSI/National Treasure" Bruckheimer anyway? Rifts (at least the way I play it) is a scary game. Do you see ANYTHING J.B. produces as scary? Get a decent screen writer to adapt Adam Chilson's books and take it to Sam Raime and (or) Robert Rodriguez. Rodriguez especially, if you want to involve the Vampire Kingdoms! My point being they can both do scary. Remember the first "Evil Dead" or "Predators"? BTW, it don't hurt that my namesake get's a little facetime in the books. The only thing I'd send Bruckheimer would be a big box o' chocolates with an armed type 3 Fusion Block in the bottom.

Apparently you didn't skim the important part. Bruckheimer studios optioned the rights, meaning no one else can do it until Bruckheimer lets the option expire. Bruckheimer was interested enough to option the rights twice and hopefully will get it done eventually. Just because you aren't a fan doesn't mean no one else is. Besides, if Bruckheimer doesn't do it I fear Michael Bay, or far worse, Uwe Boll getting their hands on the property...

Honestly I hope the movie doesn't touch on the vampire kingdoms AT ALL, vampires are really overdone these days. People will look at the trailer and say "more vamps? Kill me now, let's go see ANYTHING else..." It needs to focus on the things that are more unique to Rifts, the Juicers, Coalition (or better, Coalition Juicers), Federation of Magic, power armors, Glitterboys, random encounter with the xiticix, etc.
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

Unread post by Comrade Corsarius »

It's always been Bruckheimer. I'm not a fan of his work, but as many have said, it could just as easily be Michael Bay.

Alas, I fear that the Rifts movie is going a bit nowhere.
I'd get up in the morning and watch the sun rise over the yardarm of my sky-ship as the sails billowed in the breeze and the land slid by 300-odd metres below. I'd grasp the mahogany ship's wheel, turn her nose a few points back onto the line, and feel pity for all those poor bastards below who have to work for a living. - My idea of the good life in Rifts.

Steampunk SAMAS finally built!
Witchcraft
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Witchcraft »

Could we prevail upon whoever did Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon or Braveheart or Gladiator or Avatar...or *gasp* Waterworld?
There is no spoon.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

For a few more years i believe SamtheDagger....

Sam Raime and (or) Robert Rodriguez would make a better movie.
But with Rodriguez, I fear getting an extreme liberal propaganda movie at the same time.
His Movie "Matche" was good, but the whole liberal propaganda messages took away from my wanting to like it more.
Then again, he could skip propaganda messages like he did in Predators, which was super-great.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

COL. LYBOCK wrote:I wouldn't even mind a Rifts anime if it's done right.

I know that Bruckheimer has the movie rights so it is either him or no-one but do those rights extend to all visual mediums?
Could someone else make an Anime?
I love Anime and would much rather see a Rifts Anime over a movie plus it is a more realistic goal - with a lower production cost, Anime comes with lower risk. Getting the IP out there with an Anime would also greatly increase the chances of the movie ever seeing the light of day.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

TechnoGothic wrote:For a few more years i believe SamtheDagger....

Sam Raime and (or) Robert Rodriguez would make a better movie.
But with Rodriguez, I fear getting an extreme liberal propaganda movie at the same time.
His Movie "Matche" was good, but the whole liberal propaganda messages took away from my wanting to like it more.
Then again, he could skip propaganda messages like he did in Predators, which was super-great.

Machete was a throwback to the exploitation films of the '70s, which usually had political messages along the same lines.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
ScottBernard
Explorer

Unread post by ScottBernard »

Um yeah, because thats worked well so far.
Capt. Meschievitz
Explorer
Comment: You are the greatest project you will ever work on... never give up.

Unread post by Capt. Meschievitz »

Are we still doing this?????
after 20 odd years of the same character time has come......
Swift-13
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Swift-13 »

Have their been any updates at all on this? I'm not complaining, just curious. Every time I go to the theaters, I hope to see a Rifts movie trailer, I swear!
Remember who you wanted to be.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Swift-13 wrote:Have their been any updates at all on this? I'm not complaining, just curious. Every time I go to the theaters, I hope to see a Rifts movie trailer, I swear!

Yeah, me too. Every time I see X-Men, I always think, "Mind Melter OCC..." or when Pacific Rim came out, "This is what Rifts should look and feel like."

But I doubt it will ever actually be made. Movie making companies buy up rights all the time, in case they want to make a movie in the future...they will have exclusive rights to make it and no other company can. Just like when the whole .com domain name fad happened; people would register "disney.com" with no intention of actually using it. They just wanted to keep the option open to sell later down the road. Just because JB bought the rights, doesnt mean he has any intention of making the movie at all.

This letter writing campaign was SUPPOSED to show the company that there was enough fan base to garner an interest for JB to make the movie. But it obviously didnt work because they decided to dump money into The Lone Ranger instead with little to no news on the Rifts option. Between the lack of any news from Kevin and company and the fact this thread has like 10 posts in it (when we have hundreds of posts on why Floopers suck), there really is no reason why JB would even have any reason to think a Rifts movie would make any money at all.

I seriously doubt we will see a Rifts movie from this company at all. Prolly for the better, because this would be much better animated than live action anyway. If that's the case...I say we push for Harmony Gold (Whom Palladium already has a working relationship with when dealing with Robotech...) to make an animated movie and they buy the rights from JBP...
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Swift-13
Dungeon Crawler

I honestly cringe every time I see a new version of CSI. :badbad:
Capt. Meschievitz
Explorer
Comment: You are the greatest project you will ever work on... never give up.

Unread post by Capt. Meschievitz »

Oh hell just gonna make a 2014 post.......

Bring on Rifts Chaos Earth......... a wonderful place to start........ :badbad:
after 20 odd years of the same character time has come......
Shadow Wyrm
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Shadow Wyrm »

I don't know the current status of the movie, but Jerry B left Disney recently. He said he couldn't do all the movies that he wanted too with them. Maybe Rift's is one of them and now that he's not with Disney he will get moving on the pitcher.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Yawn. Been 15 years, no movie... oh well.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Swift-13
Dungeon Crawler

Yeah, this might be cynical, but NDA's be damned: drop Bruckheimer already and hit up del Toro!
SittingBull
Hero
Comment: "Its not the destination that matters, its the journey along the way."

Unread post by SittingBull »

Swift-13 wrote:Yeah, this might be cynical, but NDA's be damned: drop Bruckheimer already and hit up del Toro!

That would work!
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."
Kosh from Babylon 5
"You don't understand, so you find excuses."
Doctor Who
"Peace has made you weak. Victory has defeated you."
Bane

Return to “Rifts®”