Atlantis messes with the CS

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Re: Atlantis messes with the CS

Unread post by Tor »

eliakon wrote:Example #1 the Catyr race.
The Catyr race is radioactive. They emit low level radiation. This has, among other problems issues with mutation, sterility, and death.

They also have Immunity to radiation. This means that their own radiation does not bother them.

If their gametes did not posses this immunity, then the gametes would be destroyed by their own radiation, since in palladium organic life is affected by radiation unless otherwise specified.

Possible answer: while the Catyr as a whole being eminates radiation, not necessarily every single portion of their body may do that. A female Catyr's womb and a male Catyr's testis (which should be immune to radiation) may insulate their gametes from damage.

eliakon wrote:Example #2 a Race that lives in a flames. Again if the gametes do not posses the immunity to fire, then they would be destroyed by the heat. They are not destroyed though, so we can conclude that they have a heat resistance superior to that of 'normal' living things in palladium.

What race living in flames are we talking about?

Also keeping in mind: living in flame doesn't mean you let flames into all of your orifices. So long as the holes stay closed they should protect the gametes.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

eliakon wrote:No, it is not relevant.
Or to be more clear, the question of if mutation is a transformation is relevant to some questions, but not to THIS question (are gametes in possession of their races abilities)

It's relevant to the overall discussion. We're not only having a discussion about that. You don't get to move the goalposts just because it's inconvenient for you.

Ummm do you know what proof means in a logical argument?

Because, to prove your argument, you provide support for the premises. I have done that. That is why I say that denying the conclusion needs more than just denial.

Frankly, as I stated earlier, you haven't even supported it. You've supported the idea that survival traits are passed on. Show me that gametes for a Mega-Juicer are MDC, have supernatural strength, and have an auto-dodge. Show me that the gametes for a Zembahk have psionics. Show me that dragon gametes can teleport.

Again you keep saying this.

Yes, because you have not proven the equivalency and the burden of proof is on you. Funny how that works.

I reject that one can simply cherry pick what abilities you want to have kept, and claim that 'well these traits are survival traits and are kept' but these traits are not and are lost' First off who is defining what is or is not a survival trait? Second off, cherry picking is inherently a problem, and third off it has had no support beyond 'well I don't like it' Do you have anything to support this argument?

I reject that they are the same thing. If a race lives in fire, it is required that either its gametes not be exposed to fire or that the gametes be immune to fire. Ditto radiation, et al. Without that, the race would die out. Without the immunity to transformation the TAs would not die out. They are not equivalent.

Since the item in question is Natural Abilities as defined by Palladium Books, and this is a Natural Ability....I would say that it does equate.

So then dragon gametes have a breath weapon, can teleport, and automatically have other, similar abilities? Apparently dragon gametes can also metamorph, since that's the converse of the TA ability, right? It's a racial ability, isn't it?

Still Natural Abilities, and Still Cherry Picking.

So do you cherry pick or are dragon gametes MDC structures that can teleport, learn magic, and metamorph? Can they learn magic?

...or is there a difference? Do Psi-Stalker gametes turn into MDC structures when exposed to a ley line, supernatural creature, or creature of magic?

Straw men again
Supernatural Strength is a statistic not a Natural Ability. PPE is PPE not a Natural Ability, Psi-Sword is a psionic-not a natural ability.
If your going to argue about Natural Abilities (as that is the topic I am discussing) then only Natural Abilities are relevant.

Wrong. It is a special ability, and that is not the same thing. The abilities I've described for dragons (metamorphosis, teleportation, and breath weapon) are all natural abilities. According to you, Cat's Eye Dragon gametes can see the invisible and turn invisible at will! I didn't know gametes HAD will, but apparently they do! A lifespan measured in many thousands of years is a natural ability of a Splugorth; how long to Splugorth gametes live?

And again you are simply refuting the argument by stating that it is false. You have provided no actual counter evidence, you have not actually attacked the actual logic, and have only offered some logical fallacies, and repeated 'but its not so'

You are begging the question. You are claiming it to be true when it has not been proven; since you are making the positive claim, the burden of proof is on YOU. I've shown any number of natural abilities (and I can find nothing in the TA saying these are natural abilities, the book says they are special abilities) that would not be passed on to gametes, so in addition to it being unproven by you, there is evidence to the contrary elsewhere.

I also note that the book doesn't say all True Atlanteans have these special abilities. It says they are common to True Atlanteans, but that indicates prevalence, not universality. Funny, but I don't see the words 'common to' used elsewhere to describe universal abilities anywhere else...even in the same book.

The ball remains in your court to prove any of your assertions.

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Interesting thing to add to this might be the Sea Titans... their gametes can't reasonably be assumed to be MDC since they are SDC until adulthood.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

Subjugator wrote:
Unknown_Nobody wrote:
Subjugator wrote:So - Splynncryth gets a hair up his rear tentacle and decides to mess with the CS.

In pursuit of that goal, he starts capturing large numbers of CS personnel and giving them tattoos. Some get the tat on their arm and some get it on their head or torso.

How would the CS respond to this, assuming it was known as being involuntary?

/Sub

Uhm can you rephrase? Any examples? :-?

OK - imagine that three CS colonels, a general, twenty-seven captains (army), and three thousand grunts are captured in a slaver hit to a minor CS base. Half die, leaving two colonels, the general, ten captains, and fifteen hundred grunts as captives.

Splynncryth giggles and has his tattoo masters. Soon, you have a whole boatload of CS military folks that are now effectively mages that are then released to do as they will. Some will inevitably return to their bases and families, who find out that they are incurably magical in nature. Some can have their arms or the like amputated, but they at least *were* magical.

Others could go to the bio-wizard transformation vats to become elves, dwarves, or supernatural beings.

How would the CS respond?

/Sub

Have to agree with others they would either die mysteriously, hack off their own limbs or be given the option to undergo bionic reconstruction. I also do not think they would waste this many trained troops. Turned them into tattooed warriors makes some sense as they already combat trained but with tats they are too valuable to waste.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Depends on how hard it is to give tats to people. I get the sense that the controlling factor in the T-Men that Atlantis can produce is the training or something (since the OCC has skills) rather than the tats, even though they're less-trained than Maxi-Men.

Return to “Rifts®”