D-Bees of North America - Questions/Comments..

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Re: D-Bees of North America - Questions/Comments..

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:The main difference here is that I have no place comparing myself to someone like Bob Dylan... ;)

~ Josh

TRUTH

lol
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

The Galactus Kid wrote:
Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:The main difference here is that I have no place comparing myself to someone like Bob Dylan... ;)

~ Josh

TRUTH

lol

TRUE FACT. Even.

:lol:

~ Josh
killhound
Explorer

Unread post by killhound »

i got a question for you the AutoG can be a super spy. the AutoG has psichic abilitys. the AutoG can't take any psichic or magic OCC. so even if you take the regular spy occ aren't you still classed as a supper spy? :-?
Jason Richards

Unread post by Jason Richards »

Jabborwacky wrote:My opinion is that if he were to rewrite this book or create another similar book that he divide the d-bees into those that are suggested as player races and those that are suggested for use as enemies.

I couldn't disagree with this more. There are not "good guy" races and "bad guy" races, either in real life, or in any legitimate world of fantasy. If you cut the world into white hats and black hats, you're robbing yourself of 50% of the awesome gaming opportunities that are out there.
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Jason Richards wrote:
Jabborwacky wrote:My opinion is that if he were to rewrite this book or create another similar book that he divide the d-bees into those that are suggested as player races and those that are suggested for use as enemies.

I couldn't disagree with this more. There are not "good guy" races and "bad guy" races, either in real life, or in any legitimate world of fantasy. If you cut the world into white hats and black hats, you're robbing yourself of 50% of the awesome gaming opportunities that are out there.

Seconded.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Das D-Bees of North America give the number of each D-bees race?
The Galactus Kid

gaby wrote:Das D-Bees of North America give the number of each D-bees race?

Not all of them do, but some of them have their numbers listed.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

What number of D-bees race have them?
Pike
Wanderer

Re:

Unread post by Pike »

rat_bastard wrote:I've been working on nur dwarves and the Mystic Kynzya OCC, (i did not spell any of that right) it looks fascinating.

I was thinking about doing that myself. Seems like a good combo.
Pike
Wanderer

Unread post by Pike »

Are there going to be "D-bees of..." other continents books?
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Ninjabunny wrote:
Pike wrote:Are there going to be "D-bees of..." other continents books?

Not that I know of but it would be cool to thing to do.

agreed.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I say yes,Mindworks only give 5,I think ther much more D-Bees races in Europe.

I hope they make D-Bees of South America,D-Bees of Europe,D-Bees of Africa and D-Bees of Asia.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Ho I forgot D-Bess of Australia.
They must have D-Bees unique to each continent.
Each race have different numbers and tech levels.
The Galactus Kid

I would love (to see and to work on) a D-bees of Europe book.

Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

The Galactus Kid wrote:I would love (to see and to work on) a D-bees of Europe book.

Likewise.

~ Josh
Bood Samel
Adventurer
Comment: The only place worth going is too far.

Unread post by Bood Samel »

Again, MONSTERS OF NORTH AMERICA!
HNewman21
D-Bee

Re: D-Bees of North America - Demon- Dragonmage and Quick Flex.

Unread post by HNewman21 »

Got the book and I really liked it, especially some of the updates on previous races (And I so love Quick-Flex Aliens.)

One question: When the Demon-Dragonmage attaches the dragon head, the write-up states he gains all the dragon's mystic knowledge. At minimum in my mind, that means he learns all the dragons spells. Easy enough (mmmm, spells).

In Ultimate Edition, the dragon's metamorphosis is specifically stated to have an increased duration (triple, if I remember correctly) if done on a ley line or nexus point. That makes me believe it's a mystic power.

So, would a Dragonmage gain the dragon's metamorphosis ability, since it seems to qualify as mystic knowledge? The same can be asked of the dragon's teleport and dimensional teleport abilities.

Also, would a Quick Flex Alien loses his auto-dodge when facing the anti-Juicer Northern Gun power armors detailed in Juicer Uprising? The write-up seems to indicate it's specifically for Juicer auto-dodge and I'm unsure how it would differ from a Quick Flex's auto dodge or the auto dodge of someone with the minor power of Extraordinary P.P or Lightning Reflexes.
The Galactus Kid

Re: D-Bees of North America - Demon- Dragonmage and Quick Flex.

HNewman21 wrote:Got the book and I really liked it, especially some of the updates on previous races (And I so love Quick-Flex Aliens.)

One question: When the Demon-Dragonmage attaches the dragon head, the write-up states he gains all the dragon's mystic knowledge. At minimum in my mind, that means he learns all the dragons spells. Easy enough (mmmm, spells).

In Ultimate Edition, the dragon's metamorphosis is specifically stated to have an increased duration (triple, if I remember correctly) if done on a ley line or nexus point. That makes me believe it's a mystic power.

So, would a Dragonmage gain the dragon's metamorphosis ability, since it seems to qualify as mystic knowledge? The same can be asked of the dragon's teleport and dimensional teleport abilities.

Also, would a Quick Flex Alien loses his auto-dodge when facing the anti-Juicer Northern Gun power armors detailed in Juicer Uprising? The write-up seems to indicate it's specifically for Juicer auto-dodge and I'm unsure how it would differ from a Quick Flex's auto dodge or the auto dodge of someone with the minor power of Extraordinary P.P or Lightning Reflexes.

1) Metamorphosis is a natural ability. It is effected because the Dragon is a creature of magic, not because it is a mystic ability. I would say that the mage would get all spells.

2) The quick-flex would lose auto-dodge. So would anyone else that has autododge (like those from HtH commando). Cyberknights with autododge against tech would be ok.

Hot Rod
Wanderer

Unread post by Hot Rod »

My favorite races from this book:

Aviane a little complicated with all the SD/MD vs wings rules but quite sweet.
Devilmen nicely twisted.
Ganka 'Little shop of Horrors' 'nuff said?
Iktek Diggers - Nice concept.
Loronoids - If only they had class...
Lyn Srial - interesting, a variety of RCCs, but more MDC than some dragons
Lyvorrk - Creepy, minor MDC beings that are not physically able to hurt each other (since they have low augmented strength & SDC claws lol.) extra insanities is an interesting balance for their abilities
The Spynne - a little too squishy for their creepyness but looks like they would be fun to play.
<- Banned from Explorers Unlimited for Objecting to EU GM Abuse. Be warned, GMs play favorites, and ignore rule books if it suits them. They also are not afraid to apply the rules to one person in the party but not another. This is FACT, If you need proof I have it. Fight bullying online and everywhere
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Unread post by AlanGunhouse »

Finally got to reading this, and was left wondering if the Malvoren was created by the Gene Splicers as an attempt to see how closely an organic being could emulate the machine control powers of the Machine People.
The Galactus Kid

AlanGunhouse wrote:Finally got to reading this, and was left wondering if the Malvoren was created by the Gene Splicers as an attempt to see how closely an organic being could emulate the machine control powers of the Machine People.

I'm not sure, but that would be a really interesting premise or adventure hook.

AlanGunhouse
Champion

Unread post by AlanGunhouse »

It certainly does not say in the description, but much of the past of the species is mysterious. It could explain a lit.
The Galactus Kid

They don't really seem to be that interested in their past that much.

Franfrickle
Wanderer
Comment: I don’t have a drinking problem. I drink. I get drunk. I fall down, no problem. -Random Dwarf

Unread post by Franfrickle »

I got a question about the Nuhr Dwarf, when making a Nuhr Rune Maker, what all parts of the Mytic Kuznya O.C.C. would apply? On the O.C.C. skills I know what fits and doesn't, for example the Speaks Russian skill obviously would change, but for the special powers and abilities I'm unsure. Thanks
The Galactus Kid

Franfrickle wrote:I got a question about the Nuhr Dwarf, when making a Nuhr Rune Maker, what all parts of the Mytic Kuznya O.C.C. would apply? On the O.C.C. skills I know what fits and doesn't, for example the Speaks Russian skill obviously would change, but for the special powers and abilities I'm unsure. Thanks

I'm pretty sure all the special powers and abilities would be the same. That is how I would run it in my game.

Franfrickle
Wanderer
Comment: I don’t have a drinking problem. I drink. I get drunk. I fall down, no problem. -Random Dwarf

Unread post by Franfrickle »

The Galactus Kid wrote:
Franfrickle wrote:I got a question about the Nuhr Dwarf, when making a Nuhr Rune Maker, what all parts of the Mytic Kuznya O.C.C. would apply? On the O.C.C. skills I know what fits and doesn't, for example the Speaks Russian skill obviously would change, but for the special powers and abilities I'm unsure. Thanks

I'm pretty sure all the special powers and abilities would be the same. That is how I would run it in my game.

Thanks friend, the current GM I'm working with couldn't decide so we agree'd to take what was said here, silly but its the way of things.
The Galactus Kid

Franfrickle wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:

Thanks friend, the current GM I'm working with couldn't decide so we agree'd to take what was said here, silly but its the way of things.

No problem. Have fun!!!

Ashendale
D-Bee
Comment: And then the Catseye Dragon Hatchling and the Mastodonoid started gogo dancing...

Unread post by Ashendale »

Bonezy2226 wrote:The biggest complaint I have about this book is the same I've had before. That is that you never include enough storyline behind many of your races. I'm looking at the book right now and the first entry, the Aarden-Tek. There's just not enough to the entry. You talk about how they're wide-eyed dimensional travellers, and even hint at possible campaign arcs, but you don't list hardly anything about other personallity traits. You extensivly list stats, but leave it up to the GM to develope a whole culture for these creatures. OH, except that they're explorers and like magic. You did get that. This has happened time and time again in the books, and I'm just saying that a little more depth to your culture descriptions would be great.

Honestly, I think that's one of my favorite parts about World Book 30. Take, for example, the Mastodonoid R.C.C., while the description seems lacking to favor the statistics and abilities, as I peruse the selection and image, I let my mind wander and ended up with a fantastic culture that played a large part in one of the campaigns I was a DM for. This was based upon their kinship with the Inuit peoples of Northern Canada, and all it took was a little research and a bit of personal tweaking to create a unique, but plausible culture for those gigantic, stoic creatures.

To cite another example, how about the Grackletooth? They came onto Earth via Rift and seem to have adopted the culture they landed closest to (which seems to have instilled a fondness of a Southern drawl and heavy weapons and demolitions.)

The descriptions of their culture and racial structure is just vague enough to allow for some creative DMing, but still present to the point of giving a thinker a shove in the right direction (or at least a fun one.)
House Rule #1: DM never buys the pizza.
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

Actual Question:

I love the Malvorans and I would love to play one who had their mate stolen and turned into a super weapon by the Splugoth and has vowed revenge. If any online GM is interested in a new player that would allow that character PM me. :)

For the question: could a Malvoran sneak into a large vehicle or robot and meld with it to wrestle control of it from the original pilot/user?

Can a Malvoran merge with his Glitterboy friend's Boom Gun, improve it, and still allow the Glitterboy to fire it?

Does merging with damaged weapons systems put the Malvoran at risk of radiation poisoning and the like?

If a principled Malvoran was forced to choose between merging with a Piece of magical technology or sacrificing an innocent life to his enemies, is he able to meld with the item even though the idea of doing so repulsed him?

If merged with a craft that requires more than one pilot can a Malvoran act as all crew members or does he still require a gunner. Etc?
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Bood Samel wrote:Again, MONSTERS OF NORTH AMERICA!

Updated and consolidated stats on Rifts specific demons and monsters. Ive been asking that for years. Lots of great monsters and demons; Brodkil, Neuron Beasts, Witchling, Black Faerie, Fury Beetles, Deamonex, ect... Most need updates to RUE standards too.

The only thing Id like to see retconned would be MDC dinos. Elephants, Hippos, and other large animals are not MDC...why should a non-magical, non-supernatural animal turn MDC? If there is a reason for their MDC transformation...put it in this book. Just give us a reason! Not really dinos? Really aliens? Really demons? Atlantian creations that are supernatural in nature? Something!
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Akashic Soldier
Knight

Kagashi wrote:The only thing Id like to see retconned would be MDC dinos. Elephants, Hippos, and other large animals are not MDC...why should a non-magical, non-supernatural animal turn MDC? If there is a reason for their MDC transformation...put it in this book. Just give us a reason! Not really dinos? Really aliens? Really demons? Atlantian creations that are supernatural in nature? Something!

I can handle this one guys. ;)

They're freaking dinosaurs Kag! Like stompy big *starts mimicing a tyrannosaurus and making stupid noises as he stops around and flails his fingers arms* DINOSAURS!

They were so awesome that God had to smash their race with a meteor to kill them off! If they were SDC creatures he could've just come down with a hand gun or something!

So you ya see the rationality? Since the only way to kill the dinosaurs was with debris from space they HAD to be MDC creatures.

Also they're magic.
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Kagashi wrote:The only thing Id like to see retconned would be MDC dinos. Elephants, Hippos, and other large animals are not MDC...why should a non-magical, non-supernatural animal turn MDC? If there is a reason for their MDC transformation...put it in this book. Just give us a reason! Not really dinos? Really aliens? Really demons? Atlantian creations that are supernatural in nature? Something!

The best explanation would be a surplus of Temporal Energy from time-traveling this far into the future, as detailed in Trandimensional TMNT.

But I'd much rather just have SDC dinosaurs.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Akashic Soldier wrote:

I can handle this one guys. ;)

They're freaking dinosaurs Kag! Like stompy big *starts mimicing a tyrannosaurus and making stupid noises as he stops around and flails his fingers arms* DINOSAURS!

They were so awesome that God had to smash their race with a meteor to kill them off! If they were SDC creatures he could've just come down with a hand gun or something!

So you ya see the rationality? Since the only way to kill the dinosaurs was with debris from space they HAD to be MDC creatures.

Also they're magic.

That clears things up :lol:
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Levi
Location: Lost in a dream world with the occasional nightmare of what might be reality.

Unread post by Levi »

Akashic Soldier wrote:Actual Question:

I love the Malvorens and I would love to play one who had their mate stolen and turned into a super weapon by the Splugoth and has vowed revenge. If any online GM is interested in a new player that would allow that character PM me. :)

I’m glad you like them. They are a blast to play. Although, I might be biased.

Akashic Soldier wrote: For the question: could a Malvoren sneak into a large vehicle or robot and meld with it to wrestle control of it from the original pilot/user?

Sure. If they can pull off getting into the vehicle and to a point where they can merge with the control systems, I don’t see any reason they couldn’t steal control from the pilot(s) or other crew.

Akashic Soldier wrote:Can a Malvoren merge with his Glitterboy friend's Boom Gun, improve it, and still allow the Glitterboy to fire it?

The Malvoren can modify weapons and armor without merging as well. Don’t forget they have the Weapons Engineering skill. Regardless of whether they merged with a weapon the modifications are permanent. This does not include the bonuses from while merged.

Akashic Soldier wrote:Does merging with damaged weapons systems put the Malvoren at risk of radiation poisoning and the like?

This is tough one and each GM would have to evaluate the situation. But in general I would say yes they would take radiation poisoning or any other damaging side effect from working with damaged weapons. They could probably quickly repair the weapon and most damage other than radiation would heal quickly from their natural healing factor.

Akashic Soldier wrote:If a principled Malvoren was forced to choose between merging with a Piece of magical technology or sacrificing an innocent life to his enemies, is he able to meld with the item even though the idea of doing so repulsed him?

I guess the language of their limitation with magic wasn’t really as clear as it should have been. Since they can’t really understand magic or techno-wizardry, they simply can’t meld with these items. Even if they found it necessary they just couldn’t do it. That was implied in the description but not clarified in the actual ability info. Sorry about that.

Akashic Soldier wrote:If merged with a craft that requires more than one pilot can a Malvoren act as all crew members or does he still require a gunner. Etc?

If they could reach all of the systems to control them, they certainly could act as the full crew. However, they would not be near as effective as they don’t have as many attacks. Depending on the situation the GM might want to add some other penalties.
As a man's shadow follows his footsteps wherever he goes, so will destruction pursue those who commit evil deeds.
Akashic Soldier
Knight

Thanks Levi--seriously, kickass RCC.
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

Don't know if I have already said so in this thread somewhere but I'll say it again just in case: I love this book and it is probably the book I read the most. Great job.

I do however have one criticism...
For the first time in a looooong time, I have decided to make a Crazy. As per my usual ritual after picking an OCC, I immediately went to the DBoNA book to find a race for it.
After going through each of the races, my options were limited to (in alphabetical order): Roanne Piper and... That is all...

What is the story with that? M.O.M. Conversion is supposed to be something fairly universal - even minor Demons like Brodkil and Gargoyles are capable of getting it, why has it become so troublesome all of a sudden? Did the M.O.M. Factory blow up and they have started researching the technology again? Even the likes of the Quik Flex Alien and Simvan which used to be able to receive the M.O.M. Augmentation are now incapable...
Akashic Soldier
Knight

Giant2005 wrote:Don't know if I have already said so in this thread somewhere but I'll say it again just in case: I love this book and it is probably the book I read the most. Great job.

For the first time in a looooong time, I have decided to make a Crazy. As per my usual ritual after picking an OCC, I immediately went to the DBoNA book to find a race for it.
After going through each of the races, my options were limited to (in alphabetical order): Roanne Piper and... That is all...

What is the story with that? M.O.M. Conversion is supposed to be something fairly universal - even minor Demons like Brodkil and Gargoyles are capable of getting it, why has it become so troublesome all of a sudden? Did the M.O.M. Factory blow up and they have started researching the technology again? Even the likes of the Quik Flex Alien and Simvan which used to be able to receive the M.O.M. Augmentation are now incapable...

This is because anything can get a M.O.M conversion. It just means you have a 20%, which means if you dont get that reroll your character. Thats right, the rule is make your character, stat him out, then roll and try to get 81%-100% and if you don't start over with a new name and stats. lol. I doubt RCC's would work but you get the idea.
Giant2005
Knight

Akashic Soldier wrote:
Giant2005 wrote:Don't know if I have already said so in this thread somewhere but I'll say it again just in case: I love this book and it is probably the book I read the most. Great job.

This is because anything can get a M.O.M conversion. It just means you have a 20%, which means if you dont get that reroll your character. Thats right, the rule is make your character, stat him out, then roll and try to get 81%-100% and if you don't start over with a new name and stats. lol. I doubt RCC's would work but you get the idea.

That isn't what I meant, most of the races specifically say under their O.C.C. choices that they are physiologically unable to undergo the M.O.M. Conversion, or for whatever reasons are not permitted it. This even applies to races that formerly could undergo the conversion.
I am assuming what you are talking about is some kind of mortality rate? Only 20% of those who undergo the conversion survive? If that is what you are talking about, it seems that it has become 100% fatal now.
SamBell
Explorer
Comment: What is grief, if not love preserving?

Unread post by SamBell »

Why can't Pogtal giants be an O.C.C?
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61- Colonel Cambell
Giant2005
Knight

I have some constructive criticism for this book (and all Palladium books for that matter):
I just started trying to make a new character and I'm stumped at the most ridiculous of character creation issues.
I have no idea about the quality of names that any of these races are accustomed to.
I sincerely doubt that a common name for a Spinne is "John Smith" or an Avianne "Mike Jones" but I have no idea what-so-ever of the structure that their names would ideally take.

I think some elaboration of naming conventions for each race should be included in their description.
The Galactus Kid

SamBell wrote:Why can't Pogtal giants be an O.C.C?

Because their race is very accustomed to a set standard and driven primarily by instinct. Also, talk to your GM, make your case, and maybe they will let you. It it is an NPC, then do whatever you want since NPC's generally don't follow normal character creation rules. I had an Obsedai NPC from this book that was a foreman at a construction company and had a number of skills that he couldn't have had based on the Obsedai R.C.C.

Giant2005 wrote:I have some constructive criticism for this book (and all Palladium books for that matter):
I just started trying to make a new character and I'm stumped at the most ridiculous of character creation issues.
I have no idea about the quality of names that any of these races are accustomed to.
I sincerely doubt that a common name for a Spinne is "John Smith" or an Avianne "Mike Jones" but I have no idea what-so-ever of the structure that their names would ideally take.

I think some elaboration of naming conventions for each race should be included in their description.

I think this is a pretty good idea. I end up just making up goofy sounding names anyway.

Akashic Soldier
Knight

Neurotic Cupcake wrote:
Giant2005 wrote:That isn't what I meant, most of the races specifically say under their O.C.C. choices that they are physiologically unable to undergo the M.O.M.

I have to admit, that's the thing that has boggled me the most about the book. At first they were slowly expanding the number of options available for Crazies and Juicers, even including unique variations for races such as the Psi-Stalker. Then this book comes out and bam, even races like Quick-Flex Aliens who originally were specifically stated (Coalition War Campaign, p. 205) as being able to become Crazies or Juicers suddenly weren't... and without any explanation whatsoever. Well, to be fair, the original entry stated that they generally avoided augmentations (which is true for Humans, too, but nevermind that), but D-Bees of North America puts a ''banhammer'' down on it.

It'd have been nice if they had at least stated why they decided to change the rules so drastically. I can understand where a lot of the changes came from, but ones like this one don't make a lot of sense to me.

It is explained in Mindwerks when talking about D-Bee physiology.
The Galactus Kid

Mercbook1 wrote:I have played a lot of Rifts and think some of you get to hung up on things really this game is to stretch our thinking. Yeah so your D-bee cannot become a MoM talk to the GM he might let it in up to him. Remember these books are guides not everything is set in stone cut and dry. And remember kids have fun when you do this not look for something to get upset about.

I agree. Rule 0 is that what your GM says, goes. The point is to have fun.

Carl Gleba
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

The Galactus Kid wrote:
Mercbook1 wrote:I have played a lot of Rifts and think some of you get to hung up on things really this game is to stretch our thinking. Yeah so your D-bee cannot become a MoM talk to the GM he might let it in up to him. Remember these books are guides not everything is set in stone cut and dry. And remember kids have fun when you do this not look for something to get upset about.

I agree. Rule 0 is that what your GM says, goes. The point is to have fun.

Double ditto :ok:
ImageImage
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer
Location: Formerly:Detroit, Michigan (West Side) Now in Dearborn: Which has 98.7% less arson.

Unread post by MurderCityDisciple »

First off, I love aliens. The weirder the better.

My one gripe about the D-Bee book is there aren't enough non-humanoid aliens. Most of them seem to be 5 fingered, two eyed humanoids. That old Star Trek:TNG 'Slap some clay on my forehead and call me an alien syndrome'.

I want more variety, I want blobs, I want tentacled nightmares, spideroids or floating bloated gas bags. I guess I will/need to make up a few of my own.
“It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.” - Anton LaVey

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

"The die is cast." - Julius Caesar [Ultimate Powergamer]
Josh Sinsapaugh

MurderCityDisciple wrote:First off, I love aliens. The weirder the better.

My one gripe about the D-Bee book is there aren't enough non-humanoid aliens. Most of them seem to be 5 fingered, two eyed humanoids. That old Star Trek:TNG 'Slap some clay on my forehead and call me an alien syndrome'.

I want more variety, I want blobs, I want tentacled nightmares, spideroids or floating bloated gas bags. I guess I will/need to make up a few of my own.

The Rifts slang term D-Bee refers specifically to humanoid aliens from the Rifts - that's why the book was primarily humanoid races.

~ Josh
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

MurderCityDisciple wrote:First off, I love aliens. The weirder the better.

Aliens Unlimited is supposed to be very good you might want to get that supplement for Heroes unlimited if you can find it.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
Giant2005
Knight

I have a couple of questions about the Yeno.
Firstly, why does their HP and SDC increase so much when on a SDC world? I could understand them decreasing due to lower magical energy, but I really can't figure out why the low magical environment would actually increase their SDc and HPs.
Secondly, they have an extreme phobia of darkness. This is another thing I find to be very strange as they can naturally see in all spectrums of light. The ability to see all spectrums of light would mean the world is never dark to them - they can see in complete darkness as if it was perfect daytime (The Star Children of England which have the same ability even says as much in their description). So what is the point of a phobia which cannot possibly effect them under any conditions? Or is it worse than I imagine and simply closing their eyes will trigger the phobia, meaning sleep is virtually impossible?
Akashic Soldier
Knight

Giant2005 wrote:I have a couple of questions about the Yeno.
Firstly, why does their HP and SDC increase so much when on a SDC world? I could understand them decreasing due to lower magical energy, but I really can't figure out why the low magical environment would actually increase their SDc and HPs.
Secondly, they have an extreme phobia of darkness. This is another thing I find to be very strange as they can naturally see in all spectrums of light. The ability to see all spectrums of light would mean the world is never dark to them - they can see in complete darkness as if it was perfect daytime (The Star Children of England which have the same ability even says as much in their description). So what is the point of a phobia which cannot possibly effect them under any conditions? Or is it worse than I imagine and simply closing their eyes will trigger the phobia, meaning sleep is virtually impossible?

Magical Darkness or Blindness freaks them the [expletive] out. I mean, they're used to seeing on all light spectrum so if they can't than SOMETHING has gone wrong. :P
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

If a D-Bee in this book says they can become a Cyber-Knight but the max their species can roll for ME is under 11, are there ways besides first being a Sea Inquisitor or a mutant with Extraordinary ME (Heroes Unlimited) to raise their ME to the required amount to fulfill that attribute requirement?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Rifts®”