Caribbean Islands and Central America?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

I'm afraid that a large area of central america is now underwater. I think that Vampire Kingdoms leave off with parts of what is now Guatemala and Honduras (as linked with the Yucatan), and my guess is that the surviving southernmost parts of mesoamerica are now part of the vampire kingdom of Haktla (see South America 1)

I guess that you still have a lot of room to exert your creativity.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
gaby
Knight

Caribbean Islands and central America?

Unread post by gaby »

Well In South America1 it said thers 2 islands that have primitve human settlements.

I did a Game where on a parallel earth the Cuban,s missile crisis started the Great cataclysm.

Cuba,Jameica and Haiti / dominican have ley lines on them got Exchange with ther rifts earth,s Counterparts saving the People on them from the nuclear exchange!

Jameica and Haiti/ dominican have US navy bases on them.

within Days the Splugorth,s minions attack.

Us and Civizen ships left saving a big number of people.
The New Navy help them get to the american South Coast.
some of the cuban,s ships got to south america.

I Hope Kevin Siembieda will use my idea for Deep south?
Sinder Sleeping
D-Bee

Unread post by Sinder Sleeping »

sources for maps. Rifts 158 and 159 show parts of Forida, Cuba and and the Hati/Dominican Republic. Vampire Kingdoms show Mexico and Central America.
Most of the Islands and the people on them were destroyed since the great upheaval. Think of the water rising and the massive storms, and since a majority of the people lived on or near the coast they were killed outright. So to were crop lands and other food sources were destroyed. Next the demons, monsters that came picked off the remainders if any. Finally Atlantis rising and the slavers. The Island were the first area that they cleaned out if any were living thing left. Sure there were high mountains on the Island but how many people lived on those things.
When your Hot! your Hot! when your not your Toast!
Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Re: Caribbean Islands and Central America?

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

Something I usually like to note when the Caribbean, Hawaii, or some other small islands come up:

Whenever someone mentions some small islands, immediately someone else chimes in with that they are probably underwater. This isn't necessarily true, as just because the island has a small overall land mass doesn't mean that said island has low elevation. In fact, much of the Caribbean, for example, is very mountainous and thus wouldn't be completely underwater. Furthermore, much of the Caribbean is very volcanic as well, and thus there land mass likely expanded somewhat during the Great Cataclysm (in addition to some of it being swept underwater, so basically two steps forward, one step back).

So some of the islands of the Caribbean are definitely still there in Rifts. Heck, there might actually be some new islands as well.

However, if there is anything on these islands is another story altogether.

~ Josh
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Unread post by AlanGunhouse »

DUCK! Low humor ahead :lol:
Slag

Unread post by Slag »

AlanGunhouse wrote:DUCK! Low humor ahead :lol:

Yea...things are gettin' daffy up in here.
Fickt nicht mit der Raketemensch!

"I respect you. And unlike love, respect can't be bought" - Homer Simpson.
R Ditto
Hero
Comment: It is hard to be alone. I was 18 when dad died, 38 when mom died. No grand kids or daughter in law for mom. Why, God, why?

Unread post by R Ditto »

I would call fowl on the bird brained humor, but this thread has really quacked me up.
:P
:lol:
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Unread post by AlanGunhouse »

Or, in my case, Darkwing Duck :lol:
Slag

Unread post by Slag »

duck-foot wrote:
Slag wrote:

ok that one was good.

That's me, baby. No mercy. Straight for the Canards.
Fickt nicht mit der Raketemensch!

"I respect you. And unlike love, respect can't be bought" - Homer Simpson.
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Slag wrote:
duck-foot wrote:
Slag wrote:

ok that one was good.

That's me, baby. No mercy. Straight for the Canards.

Canards or Canaries? :-P

As an aside, i have heard Megaverse in Flames has some stuff on Cuba (or at least Havana). Anyone care to tell us a little about that part of the book and if it does speaks of other caribbean islands?

Question - how volcanic are Cuba, Hispaniola (Haiti/Dominican Republic) and Puerto Rico exactly? Maybe i'm funny in the head, but the idea of some of the isles fusing through the formation of land bridges and such has crossed my mind...
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

WB1:Vampire Kingdoms (and the newer vampire sourcebook) has a bunch of stuff for central america.
WB6 South America has a lot of useful stuff as well.. several of the enemy's of Columbia are to their north in the areas next to what was Panama. the pirates that raid the columbian coastline are also worth paying attention too.
WB7 Undersea's has the Naut'yll and the Splugorth Navy, both of which cruise the region.. the naut'yll control much of the south atlantic, and probably have a fair presence in the gulf of mexico.. the climate there is more conductive to coral (their main building material) and the flooded out bits of Panama give them a place to sneak into the pacific.

WB9: south america 2 may have some additional splugorth ships worth looking at. (i think..)

Sourcebook 4 CS navy has details on the CS forces for the region.. the CS Navy's main base is in texas and opens to the gulf so they have a presence.

not much is mentioned of the many islands, but Megaverse in Flames put one of the Hell Pits in Cuba, so if your usign the minion war storyline it is worth picking up. even if your not using it, you could still make it a demon outpost, and just cut down on the numbers of demons there.

i'd also suggest Rifter 70.. the undersea's article in there may have some useful stuff. :)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
SolCannibal
Champion

glitterboy2098 wrote:WB1:Vampire Kingdoms (and the newer vampire sourcebook) has a bunch of stuff for central america.
WB6 South America has a lot of useful stuff as well.. several of the enemy's of Columbia are to their north in the areas next to what was Panama. the pirates that raid the columbian coastline are also worth paying attention too.
WB7 Undersea's has the Naut'yll and the Splugorth Navy, both of which cruise the region.. the naut'yll control much of the south atlantic, and probably have a fair presence in the gulf of mexico.. the climate there is more conductive to coral (their main building material) and the flooded out bits of Panama give them a place to sneak into the pacific.

WB9: south america 2 may have some additional splugorth ships worth looking at. (i think..)

Sourcebook 4 CS navy has details on the CS forces for the region.. the CS Navy's main base is in texas and opens to the gulf so they have a presence.

not much is mentioned of the many islands, but Megaverse in Flames put one of the Hell Pits in Cuba, so if your usign the minion war storyline it is worth picking up. even if your not using it, you could still make it a demon outpost, and just cut down on the numbers of demons there.

Hades or Dyval outpost? Just checking to be certain.

Anyway, thanks for the books suggested and referenced.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Hades i believe..
would have to check the book again to be sure, i only got it a little while back
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

dukeofshadows wrote:Does anyone have any information for Central America (especially Costa Rica) or the Caribbean Islands in Rifts?

There is some info on some caribbean islands in the minion wars book or at least one of them. A lot of the islands though are simply gone due to the backlash of the rifts and the raised water levels most of those islands were not much above sea level even in modern times so many would be nothing but a tiny mountain top here and there.
SolCannibal
Champion

kaid wrote:
dukeofshadows wrote:Does anyone have any information for Central America (especially Costa Rica) or the Caribbean Islands in Rifts?

There is some info on some caribbean islands in the minion wars book or at least one of them. A lot of the islands though are simply gone due to the backlash of the rifts and the raised water levels most of those islands were not much above sea level even in modern times so many would be nothing but a tiny mountain top here and there.

Actually quite the opposite, a not inconsiderate number of them were both volcanic and above sea level. Their post-cataclysm versions might actually be larger than those we know, in fact. :P
SolCannibal
Champion

So OP, still doing something with the info you asked for?

On a personal note, i have toyed with the idea of some of the caribean isles - both volcanic and above sea level, as previously mentioned - actually rising even more and merging in parts in some new big island, archipelago or even subcontinent of sorts.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

glitterboy2098 wrote:i'd also suggest Rifter 70.. the undersea's article in there may have some useful stuff.

now that Rifter 70 has been out for a bit, i think that i can discuss what i put in there without it being spoilers. :wink:

in the area of ocean around the Florida Keys is the undersea community of Aquarius II. about half of its population is found in the main colony, the other in various smaller communities in deeper waters that were originally pre-rifts resource platforms.

the region has a lot of hazards (sinkholes, freshwater springs, subsurface gas pockets/leaks, magnetic anomalies, and various magical oddities due to being close to the Bermuda Triangle) so is considered something of a no-mans land for everyone else. the Inhabitants of the community just know their way around, so they are less hindered.

not official in any fashion but could make for an interesting addition to any game set in the region.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Golden God

Re:

Unread post by Misfit KotLD »

Roanoke Croatoan wrote:Something in my head tells me what areas there are above water are plagued by non-vampire walking dead. No doubt lead by some Ellal from South America (forget if it was the first or second book).

If I'm wrong blame Wes Craven.
Considering the area gave us zombies in the first place, I'd see places like Haiti return to their post-colonial fears with sugar plantations operated by zombies and owned by necromancers.
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
You're going to hell...you do realize this...no? - Shadyslug
The Home of the Munchkin Fairy
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
SolCannibal
Champion

Re: Re:

Misfit KotLD wrote:
Roanoke Croatoan wrote:Something in my head tells me what areas there are above water are plagued by non-vampire walking dead. No doubt lead by some Ellal from South America (forget if it was the first or second book).

Considering the area gave us zombies in the first place, I'd see places like Haiti return to their post-colonial fears with sugar plantations operated by zombies and owned by necromancers.

Well, sugar plantations would require trading all that sugar with someone else to actually be worth something.
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Golden God

Re: Re:

Unread post by Misfit KotLD »

SolCannibal wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:

Well, sugar plantations would require trading all that sugar with someone else to actually be worth something.
Indeed. Perhaps Splynn would love all the sugar they cannot grow?
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
You're going to hell...you do realize this...no? - Shadyslug
The Home of the Munchkin Fairy
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

hmm.. maybe they use the extra sugar to make biofuels? and trade it to places like Houstown and the Pecos Bandits territories?

also keep in mind that Sugar was not the only thing that could be grown there. coffee, indigo, and rice all were also grown, and before sugar became the main money maker you had Tobacco and Cotton as the main crops. Citrus Fruits were also a big industry and continues to be such even to today.

the region also had a fair bit of oil in pre-rifts times (which might still be around) and Fishing was a big industry (which also would still be a thing post-rifts, though perhaps a bit riskier)

also, remember that historically the larger islands also had a fair bit of livestock raising for meat. the original pirates in the region got the name 'buccaneer' after the buccan, the native term for a rack used to dry and smoke meat. (the spanish word for it was barbocoa, which became 'barbeque') a big industry for smoked meats grew up during the colonization of the region, and the ranchers and workers in this industry became known as 'buccaneers'. when the industry hit a saturation point and grew bigger then the demand, some of the less well off members gathered other less well off people and started using small boats to raid ships in the region, leading to the rise in Piracy.

post-rifts, it could well have an industry in ranching some of the more exotic dinosaurs or something, with initial herds captured in the dinosaur swamp.

each larger island could easily have a local warlord/king/baron, with frequent small scale warfare between them over the smaller islands. and you could add in trade with outside groups. the splugorth, the Vampire kingdoms, the CS, Houstown, the pecos bandits, etc. these outside ties would be how each island obtains the weapons and equipment needed to fight, trading foodstuffs and the like for guns, armor, and ships.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
SolCannibal
Champion

That does make for some interesting extrapolation from the old colonial setup that contributed to the formation of zombie legends in the caribbean into Rifts Earth. Good one that.
Nox Equites
Explorer

Unread post by Nox Equites »

Many of the islands are going to be pirate havens or Splugorth outposts, probably slave holding centers before being shipped to Atlantis.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

sure. there are a lot of smaller islands that pirates could set up on easily enough. and the bigger ones,the ones with the local power, could very easily allow pirates to operate from them. (not unlike Port Royal or Tortuga in the region's history)

as for the splugorth.. really its the same deal i think. odds are the splugorth could use some of the smaller islands as way stations for their slaver fleet operations, and if they have ties to any of the bigger islands leadership they'd probably use those as stopovers as well. though they'd probably be careful to limit their activities some, keep the locals on their side.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
The Grand Poobah
D-Bee

Unread post by The Grand Poobah »

I thought the one vampire intelligence only controlled the Yucatan. I don't remember reading anything where he controlled lands outside of it. Also, Cubas covered in the MW book. It's a Deevil controlled island
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

SolCannibal wrote:So OP, still doing something with the info you asked for?

On a personal note, i have toyed with the idea of some of the caribean isles - both volcanic and above sea level, as previously mentioned - actually rising even more and merging in parts in some new big island, archipelago or even subcontinent of sorts.

Dead thread walking...

Besides, the OP hasn't posed since 2007.
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

The Grand Poobah wrote:I thought the one vampire intelligence only controlled the Yucatan. I don't remember reading anything where he controlled lands outside of it. Also, Cubas covered in the MW book. It's a Deevil controlled island

SA1 puts another vampire kingdom in Colombia
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
SolCannibal
Champion

CyCo wrote:

Dead thread walking...

Wow, somehow i managed to miss the thread had been dead for 7 years when i restarted it months ago.
Reanimated it twice even without noticing, talk about spontaneous necromancy.... :eek:
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

SolCannibal wrote:
CyCo wrote:

Dead thread walking...

Wow, somehow i managed to miss the thread had been dead for 7 years when i restarted it months ago.
Reanimated it twice even without noticing, talk about spontaneous necromancy.... :eek:

Yeah, I'm kinda surprised this thread made it this far while others have been locked within two posts.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

The Beast wrote:[
Yeah, I'm kinda surprised this thread made it this far while others have been locked within two posts.

Tell me about it.
Maybe some animated dead are just more alive-looking/better camouflaged than others? :P

"Darling here just hasn't been the same since our vacation in Haiti three years ago."
"If you mean that a bumblebee just went in one of his ears and out the other, I have to agree with you there. That and the whole lurching around the neighborhood. Other than that, he's acting like a man of his age."
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

taalismn wrote:
The Beast wrote:[

Tell me about it.
Maybe some animated dead are just more alive-looking/better camouflaged than others? :P

"Darling here just hasn't been the same since our vacation in Haiti three years ago."
"If you mean that a bumblebee just went in one of his ears and out the other, I have to agree with you there. That and the whole lurching around the neighborhood. Other than that, he's acting like a man of his age."

To be locked for thread necromancy requires that the post to not be contributing to a real conversation. As the most post where relevant and disusing the topic there was no justification to lock it.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

If anything, the recent discussion has been more interesting than the original stretch was.

and i though of an interesting, if a bit out of left field, group that would probably have a role in the region.

the naut'yll. the squidheads dominate the south Atlantic, and the Caribbean would be one of those areas you know they'd be expanding into. the new navy has less presence there than in the south pacific and Indian oceans, so it would be a lower risk expansion. it gives them access to a potential outlet to the pacific (panama having been submerged due to the raised sealevels), and its climate would be better suited to corals like koralytte (or however you spell it), which would give them a place to start building an infrastructure that is rifts earth local, and less reliant on importing from outdimension.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
SolCannibal
Champion

glitterboy2098 wrote:If anything, the recent discussion has been more interesting than the original stretch was.

and i though of an interesting, if a bit out of left field, group that would probably have a role in the region.

the naut'yll. the squidheads dominate the south Atlantic, and the Caribbean would be one of those areas you know they'd be expanding into. the new navy has less presence there than in the south pacific and Indian oceans, so it would be a lower risk expansion. it gives them access to a potential outlet to the pacific (panama having been submerged due to the raised sealevels), and its climate would be better suited to corals like koralytte (or however you spell it), which would give them a place to start building an infrastructure that is rifts earth local, and less reliant on importing from outdimension.

That could be an interesting direction for them indeed, not to mention farther away from the Lord of the Deep's area of influence what should be certainly a plus i think. They might also compete a little with the Lemurians, who seem to be making the cross into the Atlantic, too. There are also the Black ships, Atlantis and other local groups could become allies, enemies or simply business associates depending on circunstances.

Another group of potential interest in that context would be the Daityas and their teleporting underwater city of Hiranyapura, from Pantheons of Megaverse, pg. 142. While historically their connection/rivalry was stronger to the Indian subcontinent and ocean, there's no impediment to their establishment in other parts of Rifts Earth, i guess.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Think Pirates of the Caribbean... with MDC!

(runs)
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
SolCannibal
Champion

Hotrod wrote:

(runs)

Actually, Davy Jones as a rogue Naut'yll or servant of the Lord of the Deep could certainly work.
Blue_Lion
Knight

SolCannibal wrote:
Hotrod wrote:

(runs)

Actually, Davy Jones as a rogue Naut'yll or servant of the Lord of the Deep could certainly work.

Is Davy jones not the water vampire pirate?
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
SolCannibal
Champion

Blue_Lion wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:
Hotrod wrote:

(runs)

Is Davy jones not the water vampire pirate?

No idea what kind of critter do you mean - can they make armies of mutated mind-controlled servants or command gigantic sea monsters too?
Blue_Lion
Knight

He is in Rifts lamiera,(sp) he has a crew of non human aquatic humanoid vampires and think he does have some command over marine life. His name if I recall is Davy Jones. He is a vampire that is unaffected by water.

Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

I'm getting images of Michael Bolton singing "This is the tale / Of Captain Jack Sparrow..."

In all seriousness, I see this region as being a place of Splugorth Slaver ships in the east and Vampire Kingdom minions and allies in the west, with a liberal mix of poor fishing communities thrown in here and there.

I also think I heard something about Cuba being some sort of spawning point for the Minion War.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.

Return to “Rifts®”