Magical Mack’s Staccato Power Bolter

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

I was messing around with a TW idea and the result was more powerful than I first anticipated. I know some folks here like higher powered items, so instead of just deleting my work I figured I’d waste a few electrons and share it.

Magical Mack recently had a beefy customer pass the threshold of Ye Old Techno-Wizard Shoppe, who walked right up and plopped down a salvaged Q2-30 Rapid-Fire Heavy Laser (See FQ p46, or RGMG p131). While the customer’s command of the American language left something to be desired, his credit balance was quite good. After a fragmented back and forth, Magical Mack came to understand that the customer wanted the Q2-30 converted to a powerful TW weapon. While there are certainly more elegant ways to design a TW weapon, for this Magical Mack took a straightforward approach of simply throwing a lot of gems at the problem. The following is the result.

Staccato Power Bolter – functions the same as the Q2-30 it’s based on, but the laser has been replaced with the Power Bolt spell, and the e-clips replaced with diamond PPE storage. Unlike the original Q2-30, it does not have an external power pack (but Magical Mack is working on an idea for that).

Code: Select all

Rounds Fired    Damage       Strike w/WP    Actions
Single shot     5D6+10          +3            1
5-rd Burst      1D6x10+20       +2            1
20-rd Burst     2D6x10+20       +1            2
40-rd Burst     4D6x10+40       +1            2
80-rd Burst     8D6x10+80        0            4

Range: 2,100 feet

Construction Stats:
-- Device Level 5
-- Spell: Power Bolt
-- Activation: 2 PPE for each bolt
-- Payload: 80 activations stored in 8 carats of Diamond; 160 PPE to completely reload the weapon
-- Construction: 40 PPE & 20 hours
-- Gems carats: 65 Turquoise
-- Build Cost: 137,600 credits
-- Magical Mack’s Sale Price: 353,300 credits

Yea, not something that I’d normally produce, but if it works for your game, have fun with it!
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
taalismn
Priest

Re: Magical Mack’s Staccato Power Bolter

Unread post by taalismn »

Magic dakka. I'm psychotically in love with it. :ok:
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

That is just evil.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Yea, burning 160 PPE on one attack is a lot, but it hits hard enough that the average damage will take down an UAR-1 Enforcer. 160 PPE for taking down a robot vehicle is a reasonable trade.

The sweet spot between not wasting blasts & actions, but hitting for good damage is the 5-rd burst (average 55 MD). Plus it still gets a hefty +2 Strike on top of the WP bonus.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Hawk258
Adventurer
Comment: Chuckie Sullivan "Applesauce B!%@#"

Unread post by Hawk258 »

The damage to PPE cost (damage to ppe cost is a bit out of scale) isn't great the higher you go.

But it is an interesting idea, maybe worth a play test to see if it is game balanced
When I post an idea, game balance is my only concern. For rules see rule zero and for canon look at RUE PAGE 372. Only 2 questions need consideration is it fun? Is it balanced?

Gamblers fallacy:(Example): Coin flips are the most common example of the gambler's fallacy. For instance, in a game of heads or tails, many people will bet on tails if there have been several heads in a row.
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Hawk258 wrote:The damage to PPE cost (damage to ppe cost is a bit out of scale) isn't great the higher you go.

I don't disagree. For this monstrosity, I simply replaced the Q2-30's single shot 3D6 with that of Power Bolt's 5D6+10, and scaled the burst damages exactly the same as the Q2-30. The higher level bursts are quite wasteful just the same as the Q2-30. The high volume bursts are not something I'd recommend regularly using, but they are there if the right situation arises. YMMV.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Mack wrote:
Hawk258 wrote:The damage to PPE cost (damage to ppe cost is a bit out of scale) isn't great the higher you go.

I don't disagree. For this monstrosity, I simply replaced the Q2-30's single shot 3D6 with that of Power Bolt's 5D6+10, and scaled the burst damages exactly the same as the Q2-30. The higher level bursts are quite wasteful just the same as the Q2-30. The high volume bursts are not something I'd recommend regularly using, but they are there if the right situation arises. YMMV.

I would likely allow it as a GM. As a player I would abuse the hell out of the 5d6+10 27 md (average) (13.5 md per ppe per action) and 1d6x10+20 50 55* (fixed)md (average) (5.5 md per ppe per action)

As the 80 round burst costs 4 actions and 160 ppe, plus the 160 ppe to reload. Which is 0.56 md per ppe per bolt per action.

In fact the diamond won't hold enough ppe to do an 80 round burst. But there is for a 40 round burst.
Last edited by Hawk258 on Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
When I post an idea, game balance is my only concern. For rules see rule zero and for canon look at RUE PAGE 372. Only 2 questions need consideration is it fun? Is it balanced?

Gamblers fallacy:(Example): Coin flips are the most common example of the gambler's fallacy. For instance, in a game of heads or tails, many people will bet on tails if there have been several heads in a row.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Hawk258 wrote:As the 80 round burst costs 4 actions and 160 ppe, plus the 160 ppe to reload. Which is 0.56 md per ppe per bolt per action.

In fact the diamond won't hold enough ppe to do an 80 round burst. But there is for a 40 round burst.

"Hey, Ozzie, can you bleed me some of your PPE to recharge my 'Vaporator' here? Okay, MOST of your PPE. I really need the extra power if I'm going to one-shot that damn Glitterboy into silver polish. Also, got a big diamond I can borrow?" :mrgreen:
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

taalismn wrote:
Hawk258 wrote:As the 80 round burst costs 4 actions and 160 ppe, plus the 160 ppe to reload. Which is 0.56 md per ppe per bolt per action.

"Hey, Ozzie, can you bleed me some of your PPE to recharge my 'Vaporator' here? Okay, MOST of your PPE. I really need the extra power if I'm going to one-shot that damn Glitterboy into silver polish. Also, got a big diamond I can borrow?" :mrgreen:

Exactly.

Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Hawk258 wrote:I would likely allow it as a GM. As a player I would abuse the hell out of the 5d6+10 27 md (average) (13.5 md per ppe per action) and 1d6x10+20 50 md (average) (5.5 md per ppe per action)

The average of 1D6x10+20 is 55, not 50. (I assume that was a typo?)

That's why there's 8 carats of diamond gems, as opposed to a single 8-carat diamond. It doesn't have to be one stone.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Mack wrote:
Hawk258 wrote:I would likely allow it as a GM. As a player I would abuse the hell out of the 5d6+10 27 md (average) (13.5 md per ppe per action) and 1d6x10+20 50 md (average) (5.5 md per ppe per action)

The average of 1D6x10+20 is 55, not 50. (I assume that was a typo?)

That's why there's 8 carats of diamond gems, as opposed to a single 8-carat diamond. It doesn't have to be one stone.

Yes sorry.

And true, though it wasn't specified that multiple stones could be strung together. So I did not consider it. Which does change the situation

RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

Look at the bright side, the second shot is easier with the PPE of the near dead and dying right?

I could see this having some fun side effects in a game. Who knows what could follow this thing around after a PPE spike? Think of what happens when a group of baddies with high PPE get a hold of this thing? Think of what say a Spulgoth Slaver could do with this thing.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

RockJock wrote:Look at the bright side, the second shot is easier with the PPE of the near dead and dying right?

I could see this having some fun side effects in a game. Who knows what could follow this thing around after a PPE spike? Think of what happens when a group of baddies with high PPE get a hold of this thing? Think of what say a Spulgoth Slaver could do with this thing.

Well, it would be a love/hate relationship for a necromancer.

Love the damage and ppe harvested but not feeding it later.

Return to “Rifts®”