So our job is to slay several Vampire Masters...help?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tiltowait
D-Bee

So our job is to slay several Vampire Masters...help?

Unread post by Tiltowait »

Starting level 1.
No special perks on creation (so cannot assume I'll have amazing stats or even one good one.)
GM did hint that high intelligence would be helpful. Though in game terms I'm not sure how that applies, since high Int aside from bring a pre-req for some OCCs, doesn't really add that much when compared so other stats.
Good (or the light-side Selfish) alignments. No Evils.

Sources allowed:
Rifts UE
Vampire Sourcebook
Vampire Kingdoms, revised.
No other sourcebooks allowed. (Exception would be "see this book for the complete list of X this occ has")

Banned (so far):
Dragon Hatchlings, Werecreatures. Figure similar (MDC creature or Supernatural PS) would likely also be banned.

Recommendations on a specific OCC for this type of campaign?

I looked at the Vampire Hunter Mage (variant of Ley Line wizard) as well as a VH Necro. Tried a Techno-wiz but didn't roll high enough stats so he's going city-rat instead, though I did like the idea of someone who could make the party a bunch of water-shotguns. :) So I may try again.

Necro flavor is tasty...but many spells are incredibly expensive (especially if you go for non-necro) and the Necro has the last PPE of just about any full caster OCC. But I still like the idea of a good-aligned Necromancer.

Of course the Bandit VH, vanilla VH, or also the Reid VH are also worth considering...

Thoughts and ideas welcome! Also suggestions for a newbie vampire hunter? I already plan to carry silver, wood, stakes, and have a water gun in addition to a MDC sidearm (for minions or if the Vampire is wearing MDC class armor)
Necromance if you want to.
We can bring your friends to life.
But your friends aren't dead and if they aren't dead.
Well, they're no friends of mine.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Re: So our job is to slay several Vampire Masters...help?

Unread post by Shark_Force »

well, your biggest challenge is probably going to be finding them. i would want someone who is good at gathering information, good at resisting mind control, with a variety of ways of dealing with vampires... i'd probably do a mind melter honestly.

hydrokinesis, super telekinesis for staking them with multiple stakes at a time (1/level, and you still only pay the base amount so long as they don't weigh more than 100 lbs), pyrokinesis for burning the corpses after you've staked and beheaded them. the ability to use mind bond, telepathy, and empathy to gather information, and maybe help identify vampire thralls, the ability to detect supernatural evil to help hunt vampires, group mind block to protect your allies from mind control if needed...

but that's just me.

of course, just about any kind of wizard works too.

(and as a reminder, a ley line walker can learn necro-magic too, but pays double PPE for it and of course must find a teacher for the spells... so you don't need to be a necromancer unless it's the class abilities rather than the spells that interest you).
MadGreenSon
Explorer

Unread post by MadGreenSon »

So... are your targets Master Vampires? If so you want to be able to move a large volume of preferably holy water (regular water will do), as well as penetrate hearts with wood so that the decapitation and burning may commence.
Mind Melter would be a good way to go there. Hydrokinesis is lame, unless you're hunting vampires, then it's key. Hydrokinesis with lots of Holy Water can end up being funny too.

However, if you really want to go with magic, play support for your crew, make sure you get the spells Carpet of Adhesion,Globe of Daylight, and Magic Net ASAP, they will be key. Everything else about a magic OOC is flavor text for these purposes so as long as you can get those spells you can pick whatever, you need to be able to ward off vamps with the Globe and pin them down via Carpet and Net for your buddies to hose down and kill. Necromancy looks good, but it's more likely to be a headache unless you're evil.

Remember: stake, decapitate, burn separately, or prepare to have the vamp come back soon. Real soon.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Hmm... with those restrictions, I'd say:
- A Shifter. Good magic ability, can do a battle-of-wills for a minion, and could do a pact with a god for additional magic.
- A Mind Melter. Solid chance to resist psionics (which will be useful against a Master Vampire), plus the abundent psychic powers will be handy.
- A Psi-Stalker, for obvious reasons.
- A Cyber-Knight, especially if you roll for an increased level of psionics.

And any of them can pull a trigger nearly as well as a grunt. Speaking of grunts... I'd avoid the scholar/adventurer/merc/soldier classes.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

you also might want to consider psi-hound as a class.

I have to actually disagree that IQ as a high stat is a weak stat, its just misunderstood.
if you think about it hiving a high IQ can actually be a really powerful attribute
1 while it doesn't seem like it, having a bonus to all skills means you are more likely to succeed more often.
2 IQ is your characters intelligence if you have a 10 IQ you are basically a 100 IQ in real life, having a ~20 IQ means you would have a 200 iq meaning you are likely smarter than Steven Hawking or Einstein

edit
with that said if you have RUE look at the dogboy, if you rolled kinda lousy on stats, you can still end up with impressive attributes. the class is from pg 142 to 149
on pg 146 special ability 5 psionic bonuses, ability 6 attribute bonuses regardless of breed
pg 147 and 148 has their skill lists

pg 148 and 149 have the "optional tables" including a height table, and a breed chart, with each of the breeds having specific modifiers
for instance 41-50% german shepard +1d6 IQ, PE, and speed +15 sdc, +2 perception rolls, +1 initiative, Good swimmer 60%
and a mutation abnormality table.
Last edited by guardiandashi on Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

It's a shame you can't play a Bone Werejaguar. It's also a shame that Vampires don't gain additional attacks/melee at higher levels, since a Hero Secondary Vamp would do great in this. Whether it's a rogue Deathspike Agent, a D-Bee (with those book limitations that means Psi-Stalker), a former caster class, or some combination, the face turn by a traditional heel offers lots of hooks. A Vamp whose former class let them pilot power armor can partially offset the attacks/melee problem, as well.

If you can reroll, and you don't wanna play a vamp, I'd go with Shifter. A link to a God of Magic can grant 8 Necromancy spells, which is probably enough. Incan religion had extensive funerary practices, including mummification. One god that hasn't yet been statted, with a link to the underworld, and would be a good patron for a good necromancer is Vichama. If Aztec is better, their traditional region being more in the Vampire Kingdoms, I'd go with Patecatl or Xolotl. Xolotl(a canine pychopomp, which it's odd just how common that is in world religions) is a particularly good choice, since they have stats, and are listed as active on Rifts Earth.
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

Tiltowait wrote:GM did hint that high intelligence would be helpful. Though in game terms I'm not sure how that applies, since high Int aside from bring a pre-req for some OCCs, doesn't really add that much when compared so other stats.
You should probably ask if the GM is using any house rules related to the intelligence stat. Note that a Psi-Hound Alsatian would get an extra 1d6 to the Int stat.

Regarding the rest, I'd echo Mack about Psi-Stalkers, not least because there is no fooling a Psi-stalker regarding vampire death. They save versus psi on a 6 and get a +5 to save versus mind control, meaning that unless your GM plays with auto-fail on a 1 you don't need to worry about a vampire controlling you. If you go the "wild" route, you can snag a +2 to PS and to PP (the latter is more important), and you get +1 attack per melee and are ambidextrous with WP Paired Weapons at level 1.

Sucks that he ruled no evil alignments, though, as that limits your access to HtH: Assassin. Shifters and Mystics have access as Anarchist, the only ones in RUE to do so. The Mage Vampire Hunter, Vampire Hunter, and Reid's Vampire Hunter can get Assassin with Anarchist as well, and those classes get a bunch of skills at level one as well Reid's Vampire Hunters are one of the few classes that give more skills at level one than a Cyber-Knight.

If you can get paramedic or Medical Doctor as a skill, remember that you get bonuses to stake a vampire. The Merc Soldier with the Medic MOS gives you Medical Doctor. Vamp Hunters, Reid's hunters, and Mage hunters can also get paramedic (it costs the mage 2 selections, however).

Note that Body Fixers get WP Knife with a special +1 to strike. That combined with the bonuses to stake a vampire from Medical Doctor can make them very good at staking vampires (and they can get HtH expert) compared to classes that don't get the Vampire Combat Bonuses that the Vamp hunter classes get.

If your GM is not going to disallow it, a Psi-stalker (or Psi-hound) Reid's Ranger Vampire hunter would be dang formidable, and would be book legal as there is no race limitation.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

TWs can fix gear and make anti vampire weapons.
Dog boys/psistalkers always good for finding hidden SN.(and can use TW)
Shifters can help with escae, disposable minions and magic works against undead.(and can use TW)
Mystics not my cup of tea but can be useful.

Race I would go with mutant cats on page 121 vamp revised. -night vision and enhanced sense of hearing would come in handy for fighting at night.
(they can get a +1 to int. Higher if he see lone star allows to use the stats from it for lions.)
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

dreicunan wrote:Regarding the rest, I'd echo Mack about Psi-Stalkers, not least because there is no fooling a Psi-stalker regarding vampire death. They save versus psi on a 6 and get a +5 to save versus mind control, meaning that unless your GM plays with auto-fail on a 1 you don't need to worry about a vampire controlling you. If you go the "wild" route, you can snag a +2 to PS and to PP (the latter is more important), and you get +1 attack per melee and are ambidextrous with WP Paired Weapons at level 1.

Good call. I forgot about the Psi-Stalker's massive save against psionics and mind control. Both would be very welcome against a master vampire.

:ok:
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

If you gotta have mundane grunts as part of the party, make 'em full conversion cyborgs...they'll be your mobile shields between the vamps or their minions and your more fragile spell-casters. If you can equip your cyborgs with anti-vampire weapons like big water tanks or silver-plated blades and wood-firing rail guns, all the better.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

Psi-Stalker for your race. Cyber-Knight if you can have the Master Pyschic option or Leyline Rifter or for OCC. Ask about a variant of the TW light blade weapon in RUE with the Life Source option replaced by more quartz bringing down the PPE activation cost preferably to 1 PPE. Post potent TW water weapon allowed, TW storm flare if allowed. At least one character in the party should be a Reid'sRanger Vampire Hunter. Make sure you have a way to capture the water from a blast of your water weapon to refill canteens, etc.

My take on a design for a Lightblade using the RUE TW design rules.

Lightsaber: Device Lvl 1 PPE Constr Cost: 28 Constr Time: 3 hrs
Spell Chain: Primary - Lightblade (20), Secondary - Blinding Flash (1), Energy Bolt (5), Globe of Daylight (2), Telekinesis (8) Physical Requirements: 13 carats clear quartz 780 + 1 carat red zircon 2k + 1 opal .5k + 280 cr misc = 3,680 credits parts plus labor = 5,000 credits
Description: 1 PPE per 2 minutes of activation. Damage: 1D6x10 M.D. This device was inspired by the pre-Rifts cult classic Star Wars films. It can take the form of a weapon hilt or a glove with a red zircon in the center of a pattern of quartz crystals sewn into the glove with copper wire. When activated it causes a sword of brilliant white light to project from the weapon hilt. Against vampires. Shadow Beasts, and other demons vulnerable to light, the Lightblade inflicts double its normal damage (double hit point damage to vamps). Unlike the spell the lightsaber design incorporates telekinesis which allows it to do damage to opponents immune to energy. The device also comes as a double sized weapon hilt which projects a light blade from both ends which costs twice as much.

Option 1 - Add 1 carat diamond to store 20 PPE, adds 15,000 to cost.
dreicunan
Hero

Mack wrote:
dreicunan wrote:Regarding the rest, I'd echo Mack about Psi-Stalkers, not least because there is no fooling a Psi-stalker regarding vampire death. They save versus psi on a 6 and get a +5 to save versus mind control, meaning that unless your GM plays with auto-fail on a 1 you don't need to worry about a vampire controlling you. If you go the "wild" route, you can snag a +2 to PS and to PP (the latter is more important), and you get +1 attack per melee and are ambidextrous with WP Paired Weapons at level 1.

Good call. I forgot about the Psi-Stalker's massive save against psionics and mind control. Both would be very welcome against a master vampire.

:ok:
Another advantage is that their connection with animals gives them some very nice perks as well (from VKr p. 90):

•The Psi-Stalkers empathic relationship with animals enables them to feel when an animal companion or animals around them fear or sense the approach or presence of vampires nearby
(within 3,000 feet/914 m).
• The Psi-Stalkers' empathy with animals also enables them to identify vampires in the form of a wolf or bat.
• The Psi-Stalkers' empathy link to animals that are their companions, pets or riding animals makes the animal impervious to a vampire's control.
That last one is huge, especially if you use the rules about dogs from Chaos Earth (we always did) that let them damage supernatural creatures. If you use the rules and dogs can inflict damage, they are just awesome, because the damage inflicted by dogs can't be regenerated for 30 minutes, and the vampire gets no bonuses to strike, parry, or dodge against the dogs. Even if you don't, now that vampires instinctively hold back and inflict SDC to SDC creatures, a pack of dogs who are all a Psi-stalker's pets can still prove a massive help in rooting out vampires, and can serve as a buffer against canines summoned by the vampire.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Make sure your side is also armed with phase weapons. Doing so eliminates the need to switch weapons once vampires start coming at you with groups consisting of both vampires and MDC beings, or if the vampires are wearing armor.
MadGreenSon
Explorer

Unread post by MadGreenSon »

The Beast wrote:Make sure your side is also armed with phase weapons. Doing so eliminates the need to switch weapons once vampires start coming at you with groups consisting of both vampires and MDC beings, or if the vampires are wearing armor.

That's actually a pretty tall order in most games. No one that I know of in NA is selling phase weapons.
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Another recommendation... hire a couple NPCs to round out the party. A few renegade Dog Boys would go a long way.

(Assuming you can afford it.)
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
The Beast

MadGreenSon wrote:
The Beast wrote:Make sure your side is also armed with phase weapons. Doing so eliminates the need to switch weapons once vampires start coming at you with groups consisting of both vampires and MDC beings, or if the vampires are wearing armor.

That's actually a pretty tall order in most games. No one that I know of in NA is selling phase weapons.

That just means they need to take a side quest to Phase World.
Tiltowait
D-Bee

Thanks for all the info and advice folks.
I do have one thought regarding Vampire control...they have another ability that is based on poison save (16+.) Anyway to boost that resistance? Or does the "immunity" for certain anti-vampire hunter occ (Necromancer for one) apply?

Vampire Kingdoms, revised. pg 16 wrote:...The victim is... -20% on skill performance, -3 on Perception Rolls, no initiative, reduce the victim’s number of attacks by half and he only fights when attacked directly....the first strike leveled at the character automatically hits...
To save...the victim needs to roll 16 or higher to save...This is NOT a psionic attack...bonuses to save vs mind control or psionics...do not apply, but saves vs poison do.

Basically the Vampire(s) could mez the entire player group and have his/her minions all line up a devastating strike.
dreicunan
Hero

Tiltowait wrote:Thanks for all the info and advice folks.
I do have one thought regarding Vampire control...they have another ability that is based on poison save (16+.) Anyway to boost that resistance? Or does the "immunity" for certain anti-vampire hunter occ (Necromancer for one) apply?

Vampire Kingdoms, revised. pg 16 wrote:...The victim is... -20% on skill performance, -3 on Perception Rolls, no initiative, reduce the victim’s number of attacks by half and he only fights when attacked directly....the first strike leveled at the character automatically hits...
To save...the victim needs to roll 16 or higher to save...This is NOT a psionic attack...bonuses to save vs mind control or psionics...do not apply, but saves vs poison do.

Basically the Vampire(s) could mez the entire player group and have his/her minions all line up a devastating strike.
That's the pheromone seduction attack. High PE gives a bonus to save versus poison. Since it is a chemical attack, the Psi-stalkers +5 save bonus versus mind altering drugs should apply. Some other OCCs would have bonuses to save vs poison as well. Also, note that as written they could not do this against an entire party:

"The vampire must target the person to be seduced, make eye contact and behave in a seductive, alluring manner for this attack and manipulation to work, The moment the demon attacks, the spell is broken. Seduction cannot happen if the vampire is angry, hostile or threatening; cannot be used in combat. Not applicable to Wild Vampires and has no effect on other vampires."

As written, it targets "the person," so just a single target. It's always best when hunting vampires to stay in groups of three or more anyways.
Shark_Force
Palladin

the spells purge self and purge other may do the job of removing the effect safely, as might the spell negate poison/toxin (technically if you touch the vampire you could probably neutralize all the poison in their body).

pretty sure this is a new thing to revised, which i haven't read, is that actually a chemical attack? if so, anyone in environmental power armour should be immune. i mean, bonuses to save vs poison apply, and environmental body armour is basically a bonus of absolute immunity to airborne toxins.

with that said, if attacking makes it wear off, you could always just attack your ally. a 1d6 SDC punch (that will do 0 damage to anyone in armour) should remove the effect.

also, if you are psychic, the power "summon inner strength" will help a little bit, and the spell superhuman endurance provides a bonus against poison as well.
Tiltowait
D-Bee

Which page(s) are phase weapons in RUE, Vampire Sourcebook or Vampire Kingdoms?
The Beast

Tiltowait wrote:

Which page(s) are phase weapons in RUE, Vampire Sourcebook or Vampire Kingdoms?

The Beast wrote:
MadGreenSon wrote:

That just means they need to take a side quest to Phase World.

Warning: This post was not helpful. Mack
dreicunan
Hero

Phase weapons aren't in those books, so they won't be options for Tiltowait to use at character creation. Actually, after re-reading the first post I realized that I had assumed that it was only character creation limitations based on the context. If it is a limitation for the whole campaign, then they would never be available.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Mack wrote:Another recommendation... hire a couple NPCs to round out the party. A few renegade Dog Boys would go a long way.

(Assuming you can afford it.)
If you can capture/steal, buy reprogramed skellebots that would add manpower. (would say buy unmanned ng bots but they are not in the limited selection of books.)

Hiring NPCs while is helpful can lead to problems. Check your hired help regualry with psy or magic to make sure they are not planning on double cross you. I can not tell you how many times a NPC turned on a group I was in.

Those dog boys we hired where a gang of thief's that robbed us. (is not something you want to say.)
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Shark_Force
Palladin

eh, you're pretty danged unlikely to have dog boys betray you to vampires. if you go up against the CS or another human enemy you might need to worry, but frankly even if the dog boys are working for someone else, that someone else very likely cares more about getting the master vampires killed than they do about getting your party killed, unless you're a pretty spectacularly awful group.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

If the equipment available is only ever going to be from those sources, I'd say the Flying Titan is the best choice in power armor. If I were in this game I'd also wager on how long it will last. Most level 1 games don't make it to level 5. Maximizing for immediate returns makes me think a level 1 Ley Line Rifter turned into a secondary vampire is a fun way to go. OCC Related skills would be Boxing, Pilot Robots and Power Armor, and RPA:Elite. Their six spell list is half priced utility stuff and maybe Globe of daylight, but it's mainly a PPE pool to use with TW PA.

With all that I think a vamp could carry their weight up through several levels. If being a rogue creation from a Vampire Intelligence your party isn't tangling with doesn't work with your game, maybe see if the vampire material from Rifter 49 can be used. Those vamps are more like the pop culture perspective (can take showers, hate garlic) and have fewer but more customizable powers, including being immune to psychic control from Master Vampires.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Shark_Force wrote:eh, you're pretty danged unlikely to have dog boys betray you to vampires. if you go up against the CS or another human enemy you might need to worry, but frankly even if the dog boys are working for someone else, that someone else very likely cares more about getting the master vampires killed than they do about getting your party killed, unless you're a pretty spectacularly awful group.

I never said that it was just risk of being betrayed to vampires, bandits use dog boys, mercs use dog boys, dog boys can be part of a gang that wants your gear for their own ends. Simply it could be they are not looking at what you are going (after all you are on a suicide mission) but that they want what you have. Many criminals and betrayers are short sighted like that.

I mean there are decent odds even a dog boy could have deserted its masters once.(after all you are not the CS.)

Is there something that makes them immune to getting mind controlled?

Most betrayals I see from NPC either happens shortly after they are hired(they where planning on doing so from the beginning), or result things like poor treatment, black mail, mind control or other reasons to case a change of alliance.

I have been in groups where they players even take regular steps to make sure other players are not planning on betraying them.(when fighting vampires do to risk of mind control this is a good idea.)

Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

That's a really limited collection of books... the last time I took on vampires I was playing a light frame full conversion Reaver Assassin (Warlords of Russia pg 82, it's rather fun auto-dodging with a borg body...) Well enough memory lane stuff...

Hmm... perhaps a headhunter? They have a nice collection of skills, bonuses and can get commando. Beyond that iirc so long as you are a partial borg you don't have to worry about being turned so bonus? Not to mention the potential for integrated gadgets and weaponry.

You were concerned about saves verses poison and psionics... well roll for psionics (as a partial you can still have psionics while only suffering from a 50% reduction in I.S.P.), and perhaps look at the Bionic Lung with Gas Filter & Oxygen Storage Cell... RUE pg 48... You'll need to ask your GM about it though it looks like it might help... maybe. There might be better options in the Bionics Sourcebook, iirc there should be cybernetic/bionic kidneys somewhere in there which should have bonuses for dealing with poisons.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."

Return to “Rifts®”