Braking and changing direction home rule

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Hawk258
Adventurer
Comment: Chuckie Sullivan "Applesauce B!%@#"

Braking and changing direction home rule

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Due to momentum I will also suggest this home rule on braking and turning

Braking
Humans and d-bees and robots under 500 lbs suffer no penalties

500 lb but under 1000lb lose 1 action

1000 lb up but under 2000 lb lose 2 actions

2000 lb up lose the full round.

Turning

Under 500 lb no penalties

500 lb 10% of falling/tripping/sliding lose 1 action if failed

1000 lb 15% lose 2 actions on failed roll

2000 lb up 25% lose full round
When I post an idea, game balance is my only concern. For rules see rule zero and for canon look at RUE PAGE 372. Only 2 questions need consideration is it fun? Is it balanced?

Gamblers fallacy:(Example): Coin flips are the most common example of the gambler's fallacy. For instance, in a game of heads or tails, many people will bet on tails if there have been several heads in a row.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Re: Braking and changing direction home rule

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

I would think breaking and changing direction speed would be the key not weight.

By your suggestion a person on jet bike traveling 500 MPH can stop faster and turn with less risk than a 5 ton robot traveling 1 MPH.

A person on a motor cycle turning at high speed has a risk off falling over(to counter this trained riders lean into the turn to prevent falling against the turn), while a low speed robot can turn fairly easy.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Blue_Lion wrote:I would think breaking and changing direction speed would be the key not weight.

By your suggestion a person on jet bike traveling 500 MPH can stop faster and turn with less risk than a 5 ton robot traveling 1 MPH.

A person on a motor cycle turning at high speed has a risk off falling over(to counter this trained riders lean into the turn to prevent falling against the turn), while a low speed robot can turn fairly easy.

This is just a modifier in regards to top speeds, braking and turning.

And applicable by choice.

In this rule it addresses mass and speed
When I post an idea, game balance is my only concern. For rules see rule zero and for canon look at RUE PAGE 372. Only 2 questions need consideration is it fun? Is it balanced?

Gamblers fallacy:(Example): Coin flips are the most common example of the gambler's fallacy. For instance, in a game of heads or tails, many people will bet on tails if there have been several heads in a row.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Hawk258 wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:I would think breaking and changing direction speed would be the key not weight.

This is just a modifier in regards to top speeds, braking and turning.

And applicable by choice.

In this rule it addresses mass and speed

In my opion it is not adressing them corectly.

A person stopping short from a sprint would spend an action sliding. If a person cuts to sharp in a run he can loose his balance.

At high speeds even things under 500 lbs would have a can have high risk of falling over. A motor cycle has a higher chance to fall in a high speed turn than a race car. Speed and center of gravity are the main factors that determine the risk of falling over in a turn, more so than mass.

It is a house rule so, not sure what you mean by applicable by choice, makes it sound like its use is not consistant in your games.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Okay offer a better formula

guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

Hawk258 wrote:Due to momentum I will also suggest this home rule on braking and turning

Braking

Turning

as blue lion mentioned it likely would make more sense to tie it to "stability" not mass.

for instance humanoid 20% base stability
"top heavy" +5%, +10% +15%, etc. penalty
quadruped (4 legged) 40% base stability

mono wheel 5% base stability
Bicycle 25% base stability
tri-wheel 35% base stability
4 wheel 50% base stability
+5% bonus to stability per additional wheel max 80%

tracked (2) 60% base stability

basically you set a base stability based on the chassis movement method, then apply "reasonable modifiers" based on factors that affect stability and control.

for instance flat hard surface has a stability rating as well whereas other terrain and conditions apply midifiers.

for instance smooth concrete would have a rating, and mud or grass would have another rating.
dry pavement has a rating but rain wet or icy (if we are being really obnoxious "black ice" has a totally different set of adjustments.

it all factors in.
Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

guardiandashi wrote:
Hawk258 wrote:Due to momentum I will also suggest this home rule on braking and turning

Braking

Turning

as blue lion mentioned it likely would make more sense to tie it to "stability" not mass.

for instance humanoid 20% base stability
"top heavy" +5%, +10% +15%, etc. penalty
quadruped (4 legged) 40% base stability

mono wheel 5% base stability
Bicycle 25% base stability
tri-wheel 35% base stability
4 wheel 50% base stability
+5% bonus to stability per additional wheel max 80%

tracked (2) 60% base stability

basically you set a base stability based on the chassis movement method, then apply "reasonable modifiers" based on factors that affect stability and control.

for instance flat hard surface has a stability rating as well whereas other terrain and conditions apply midifiers.

for instance smooth concrete would have a rating, and mud or grass would have another rating.
dry pavement has a rating but rain wet or icy (if we are being really obnoxious "black ice" has a totally different set of adjustments.

it all factors in.

I think all of the of factors are important.

A 1000 lb power armor should not be able to go from zero to 150 mph in 0 seconds, additionally, stopping or changing direction isn't instantaneous or without loss of control.

But I agree a tank is more stable and less likely to fall it is also going to be much slower.

However a motorcycle is a smaller mass and capable of higher speeds and acceleration and handling.

I think in the case of "walking" PP, speed, surface, and mass are all equal factors and the ones I am addressing.

And wheeled vehicles already have optional rules, as do aircraft.

Because these issues aren't addressed, there is imbalance.

A human running is going to hit top speed faster (both due to mass and low top speed).

A 1000 lb power armor that goes to chase the person has to "build" that speed, and is going to have to account for direction changes or manage their speed, but they lose the advantage of speed in tight turns.

Add surface in and it gets worse for the power armor.

I think in terms of "base stability" in regards to "legged" mobility is their PP, top speed and mass. As a 1000 lb power armor has much higher weight, speed but only slightly more contact area to the surface than a human.

Return to “Rifts®”