Acceleration home rule

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Hawk258
Adventurer
Comment: Chuckie Sullivan "Applesauce B!%@#"

Acceleration home rule

Unread post by Hawk258 »

This discussion on speed has made me realize there was a very important mechanism missing.

So here is a "optional rule"

Acceleration, the way the rules are written there is no consideration for "getting" to full speed.

So here is what I suggest.

If armor has a Penalty to PP subtract it from your spd attribute.

For acceleration from as standing position
Human subtract 33% from your spd for the first 15 seconds (accounting for and penalty for armor)

Robots over 500 lb,
1/3 your speed attribute for the first 15 second

Robots over 1000 lb
1/6 for the first 15 seconds
1/3 for the second 15 seconds

2000 lb
1/10th first
1/5th second
1/2 third
Full fourth.

No penalties if already in motion.
Last edited by Hawk258 on Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
When I post an idea, game balance is my only concern. For rules see rule zero and for canon look at RUE PAGE 372. Only 2 questions need consideration is it fun? Is it balanced?

Gamblers fallacy:(Example): Coin flips are the most common example of the gambler's fallacy. For instance, in a game of heads or tails, many people will bet on tails if there have been several heads in a row.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Re: Acceleration home rule

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Hawk258 wrote:This discussion on speed has made me realize there was a very important mechanism missing.

Acceleration, the way the rules are written there is no consideration for "getting" to full speed.

So here is what I suggest.

If armor has a Penalty to PP subtract it from your spd attribute.

For acceleration from as standing position
Human subtract 33% from your spd for the first 15 seconds (accounting for and penalty for armor)

Robots over 500 lb,
1/3 your speed attribute for the first 15 second

Robots over 1000 lb
1/6 for the first 15 seconds
1/3 for the second 15 seconds

2000 lb
1/10th first
1/5th second
1/2 third
Full fourth.

No penalties if already in motion.

My experience is that heaver vehicles do not always accelerate slower than lighter ones. Tracked assault vehicles can accelerate faster than wheeled vehicles. (traction, drag and torque are key factors to acceleration.)

Instead of weight I would recomend setting acceleration by propulsion type.(After all any vheicle should have sufficient horse power to over come its mass.) Terrain also would play a factor for most ground vehicles. Muddy terrain it is harder to reach top speed than on a hard ball. Trees and brush would slow you down by increasing drag. (but that would lead to overly complex rules.)

Walkers tend to accelerate the fast for ground propulsion. Unless the foot slips movement starts in the traveling thing. But they have poor energy conservation at high speeds.
Wheeled would have the highest chance to slip- but a greater conservation of energy.
Tracked vehicles have greater traction than almost anything else and really impressive acceleration the limiting factor is more about the vehicles torque. (but can be higher maintenance than wheels)

Hover/jet propesion are not limited by need to get traction and may accelerate faster than ground propulsion.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Again optional rule
When I post an idea, game balance is my only concern. For rules see rule zero and for canon look at RUE PAGE 372. Only 2 questions need consideration is it fun? Is it balanced?

Gamblers fallacy:(Example): Coin flips are the most common example of the gambler's fallacy. For instance, in a game of heads or tails, many people will bet on tails if there have been several heads in a row.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Hawk258 wrote:Again optional rule

House rule, not optional as it is not from PB.

My posts take that into account and are more about providing feedback on logic related to it.

I am saying it is more logical in my experince to tie acceleration to type of propulsion than mass. Cars if you gun it to fast will have their tires spin in place and acceleate slower. While a tracked combat vehcile has greater mass and reaches top speed faster. A tank can reach top speed faster than a humve. The horse power will increase with mass, and torque from gearing will give the acceleration.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Blue_Lion wrote:
Hawk258 wrote:Again optional rule

House rule, not optional as it is not from PB.

My posts take that into account and are more about providing feedback on logic related to it.

I am saying it is more logical in my experince to tie acceleration to type of propulsion than mass. Cars if you gun it to fast will have their tires spin in place and acceleate slower. While a tracked combat vehcile has greater mass and reaches top speed faster. A tank can reach top speed faster than a humve. The horse power will increase with mass, and torque from gearing will give the acceleration.

Even the PB rules are optional

Return to “Rifts®”