Self healing mdc concrete

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Hawk258
Adventurer
Comment: Chuckie Sullivan "Applesauce B!%@#"

Self healing mdc concrete

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Self healing concrete:

It has been made using bacteria that fills cracks naturally. They are placed in beads in the concrete and only become active when the bead cracks and water is added.

The "biocrete" idea could be applied and with the various lifeforms could decrease healing time from a few days to a few minutes or hours.

Added bonus for those that have it: it has organic living lifeforms which prevents passing though with magic or vibration. (Where appropriate)
Last edited by Hawk258 on Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
When I post an idea, game balance is my only concern. For rules see rule zero and for canon look at RUE PAGE 372. Only 2 questions need consideration is it fun? Is it balanced?

Gamblers fallacy:(Example): Coin flips are the most common example of the gambler's fallacy. For instance, in a game of heads or tails, many people will bet on tails if there have been several heads in a row.
taalismn
Priest

Re: Self healing mdc concrete

Unread post by taalismn »

The Splugorth(or Infernal, if you don't want the Splugorth to be COMPLETE monsters) version is, of course, pure nightmare fuel, since it incorporates deskeletonized(but still living) slaves fused with minerals and used as a weather coating for buildings. Besides screaming to all psychics, the stuff makes a pretty good alarm system.

And then there's Live Kitten Wallpaper.

My personal creation is Armongus, which infuses old wood with a rapid-growth (in the presence of a special fertilizer/growth catalyst) fungus that creates megadamage fibers that permeate the wood like rebar. Want to repair the stuff? Spray in another dose of the fertilizer/growth catalyst.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Well I wasn't thinking quite that big, just improved bacteria. (Based on real technology) as the idea exists today. Along with concrete that can handle 6 tons of explosives.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 1817313752
When I post an idea, game balance is my only concern. For rules see rule zero and for canon look at RUE PAGE 372. Only 2 questions need consideration is it fun? Is it balanced?

Gamblers fallacy:(Example): Coin flips are the most common example of the gambler's fallacy. For instance, in a game of heads or tails, many people will bet on tails if there have been several heads in a row.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Hawk258 wrote:Well I wasn't thinking quite that big, just improved bacteria. (Based on real technology) as the idea exists today. Along with concrete that can handle 6 tons of explosives.

I can see Lone Star getting involved in developing improved versions of the stuff, especially for reinforcing the CS's southern defenses.

Problem is, if the bacteria are able to repair MEGADAMAGE concretes, those are some specialized bugs and not the sort you want left unattended in the open, or else they might escape, mutate, and start building up other features. You do not want something like fast-growing MDC stromatolites popping up in your harbors, for instance. Or, worst case scenario, infecting living beings and causing nastiness like MDC nodules growing inside the body, or petrifying skin.

Just make sure your bacteria aren't adversely affected by post-Rifts environmental conditions. Or are killed off by a good hosing down with an antiseptic, ultraviolet light bombardment, or some other biocide.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

taalismn wrote:
Hawk258 wrote:Well I wasn't thinking quite that big, just improved bacteria. (Based on real technology) as the idea exists today. Along with concrete that can handle 6 tons of explosives.

I can see Lone Star getting involved in developing improved versions of the stuff, especially for reinforcing the CS's southern defenses.

Problem is, if the bacteria are able to repair MEGADAMAGE concretes, those are some specialized bugs and not the sort you want left unattended in the open, or else they might escape, mutate, and start building up other features. You do not want something like fast-growing MDC stromatolites popping up in your harbors, for instance. Or, worst case scenario, infecting living beings and causing nastiness like MDC nodules growing inside the body, or petrifying skin.

Just make sure your bacteria aren't adversely affected by post-Rifts environmental conditions. Or are killed off by a good hosing down with an antiseptic, ultraviolet light bombardment, or some other biocide.

Well we are developing concrete now that can handle 6 ton explosive devices.

Concrete itself really isn't changed its components like rebar and other stuff that is improving the S.D.

The biocrete is a result of the bacteria filling the gaps.

Return to “Rifts®”