Regional gem/stone magic?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Hawk258
Adventurer
Comment: Chuckie Sullivan "Applesauce B!%@#"

Regional gem/stone magic?

Unread post by Hawk258 »

I am looking for gem magic, at the moment stone mages (in atlantis) is the only one I can think of at the moment.

There are no listings for sunstone or opal as far as I am aware.

With oregon being an gemstone rich area and some gems not having any listings (again as far as I have found) it stands to reason that there maybe a race/culture that has developed some magic utilizing the gem stones as well as the knowledge to shape them?
When I post an idea, game balance is my only concern. For rules see rule zero and for canon look at RUE PAGE 372. Only 2 questions need consideration is it fun? Is it balanced?

Gamblers fallacy:(Example): Coin flips are the most common example of the gambler's fallacy. For instance, in a game of heads or tails, many people will bet on tails if there have been several heads in a row.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Regional gem/stone magic?

Unread post by eliakon »

The use of Stone Magic spread over pretty much the entire Earth due to the spread of the Atlantian and Lemurian clutures.
Which is why, in the Palladium world at least, there are Pyramids everwhere and the like.
We know that there was stone magic in use in the Pacific, North America, Central America, South America, Europe, and Asia.

As for the gems... the list is basically just a list of a few stones that probably sounded good at the time. If you want to add more, feel free. Pick a few spells or themes and say "this gem can work with this"
I do this all the time for the hundreds and hundreds of spells that don't have gems that TWs invariably want to try and use in a design.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

eliakon wrote: Pick a few spells or themes and say "this gem can work with this"
I do this all the time for the hundreds and hundreds of spells that don't have gems that TWs invariably want to try and use in a design.

This. :wink:

I generally use semi-precious stones for lower-level stuff, or assign several different related spells to one particular type of gemstone.
If you can find mythical or folklore attributions of certain qualities to a particular gemstone, all the better.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Hawk258
Adventurer
Comment: Chuckie Sullivan "Applesauce B!%@#"

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Thank you. Not quite sure how to play up the various colors of sunstone yet, but should be interesting.
When I post an idea, game balance is my only concern. For rules see rule zero and for canon look at RUE PAGE 372. Only 2 questions need consideration is it fun? Is it balanced?

Gamblers fallacy:(Example): Coin flips are the most common example of the gambler's fallacy. For instance, in a game of heads or tails, many people will bet on tails if there have been several heads in a row.

Return to “Rifts®”