Shadow magic and Silhouettes

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Hawk258
Adventurer
Comment: Chuckie Sullivan "Applesauce B!%@#"

Shadow magic and Silhouettes

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Secrets of the Atlantians has the "shadow assassin" occ with shadow magic.
And as a Player and a GM I am debating on allowing Silhouette RCC having access to that magic and believe that they were the creators of such magic. As the Sunja had to acquire it somewhere.
When I post an idea, game balance is my only concern. For rules see rule zero and for canon look at RUE PAGE 372. Only 2 questions need consideration is it fun? Is it balanced?

Gamblers fallacy:(Example): Coin flips are the most common example of the gambler's fallacy. For instance, in a game of heads or tails, many people will bet on tails if there have been several heads in a row.
taalismn
Priest

Re: Shadow magic and Silhouettes

Unread post by taalismn »

Hawk258 wrote:Secrets of the Atlantians has the "shadow assassin" occ with shadow magic.
And as a Player and a GM I am debating on allowing Silhouette RCC having access to that magic and believe that they were the creators of such magic. As the Sunja had to acquire it somewhere.

Or maybe the Silhouettes were created by it. Overexposure to humanoid stock, maybe. ;)
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

taalismn wrote:
Hawk258 wrote:Secrets of the Atlantians has the "shadow assassin" occ with shadow magic.

Or maybe the Silhouettes were created by it. Overexposure to humanoid stock, maybe. ;)

Well the silhouette is a minor elemental so maybe the "physical" form was but the shadow elemental intelligence created the magic first. And as atlantians are dimensional hopping beings are found in the 3 galaxies.

Which would lend credibility to the silhouette rcc to naturally have access to that magic. (Both as an element of shadow and without having to be "evil" or Sunaj.
When I post an idea, game balance is my only concern. For rules see rule zero and for canon look at RUE PAGE 372. Only 2 questions need consideration is it fun? Is it balanced?

Gamblers fallacy:(Example): Coin flips are the most common example of the gambler's fallacy. For instance, in a game of heads or tails, many people will bet on tails if there have been several heads in a row.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

They are described as "quasi-elemental beings", not "minor elementals".

I would love to learn more about the silhouette homeworld with lots of Rifts connected to the "shadow dimension where shadow beasts dwell", particularly in respect to the expanded much-scarier Shadow Beast found in Shadows of Light who can drain your PPE.
Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Axelmania wrote:They are described as "quasi-elemental beings", not "minor elementals".

I would love to learn more about the silhouette homeworld with lots of Rifts connected to the "shadow dimension where shadow beasts dwell", particularly in respect to the expanded much-scarier Shadow Beast found in Shadows of Light who can drain your PPE.

True, and I stand corrected.

However it still seems odd that the race isn't naturally linked to shadow magic. It makes little sense unless there is a malevolent group with in the silhouette race that we are unaware of.

And silhouette simvan?

Axelmania
Knight

Simvan Monster Riders? I'm not sure what you're talking about there...

The shadow spells from Bletherad seem like a natural fit for the Silhouette, I wouldn't be opposed to letting them have some.
Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Axelmania wrote:Simvan Monster Riders? I'm not sure what you're talking about there...

The shadow spells from Bletherad seem like a natural fit for the Silhouette, I wouldn't be opposed to letting them have some.

Referring to the shadow beast and possible way of silhouettes have dealt with them.

Also which book is bletherad?

Axelmania
Knight

http://palladium-store.com/1001/product ... herad.html

*notices description only mentions the "spirit" and "cold and ice" magic, doesn't mention the shadow / wall magic, disappointment*
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

There is only one spell (5:Wrapshadow) that appears in Library of Bletherad which isn't also in Secrets of the Atlanteans, FWIW.
Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Axelmania wrote:http://palladium-store.com/1001/product/466-PFRPG-Book-12-Library-of-Bletherad.html

*notices description only mentions the "spirit" and "cold and ice" magic, doesn't mention the shadow / wall magic, disappointment*

Doesn't that seem odd for a race naturally attuned to shadows and magic?

Axelmania
Knight

Oh, I didn't know they were just reprints, that's disappointing, was hoping for wholly new.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

Some of the levels and costs are different, for games that are into that sort of thing.

Return to “Rifts®”