Looking for D-bee/Alien options for Battle Mage player

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

jburkett
Wanderer

Looking for D-bee/Alien options for Battle Mage player

Unread post by jburkett »

Hello All, I have another character joining my campaign and she will be playing a Battle Mage (from the Mercenary Adventures Source Book). As all three other players are human we are hoping to mix things up a bit and have her play a D-bee or Alien. My question is which D-bees or aliens do you feel make good magic users? My first thought would be she could play an elf (from Conversion Book 1) but that didn't really appeal to her. Playing an alien race did appeal to her and would be a great hook to eventually have the group embark on a Three Galaxies campaign (she could be looking to return to her home world for example). I am not too familiar with the alien options presented in Three Galaxies but do have all the source books. Any suggestions? Again, she is a Battle Mage looking for a compatible alien or D-bee race (perhaps from Three Galaxies!). Thanks!
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Re: Looking for D-bee/Alien options for Battle Mage player

Unread post by Natasha »

If I recall, most of the Three Galaxies races lack the option for a magic class.

D'norr devilmen (get 6D6 + P.E. P.P.E. in addition to that from their magic class). I know it's in D-Bees of North America but do not know the original source.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

I'm not familiar with the Three Galaxies setting, but I recommend you leaf through DBees of North America. It has a good collection of potential races for you.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

First Edition Robotech Full Size Zentreadi (warrior race so the Battle Mage OCC makes sense, 30-40ft giant-size but comes with a PE attribute of like 3d6x100 which would be good for a magic user IINM). Note this one is more of a gag suggestion.

How "alien" is she looking to go as an Elf is a D-Bee/alien. Or put another way what is she looking for in terms of "alien".

Lyvorrk (WB1o, WB30 pg130-3, their base PPE is added into magical occ and has a high PE base (good).

Vernulians (WB1o, WB30) are also quite alien, though mages are rare for them.

Optionally you could just use the random tables in Phaseworld to create a new race (there are a series of tables for this) that is to her liking.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

Ultrovians out of the Anvil Galaxy book make good mages, with a bonus 1d6x10 PPE and increased recovery rate away from Ley Lines. They're squat amphibious people with a chip on their shoulder about being recognized as superior mages, which would go double for a Battle Mage.
jburkett
Wanderer

Unread post by jburkett »

ShadowLogan wrote:First Edition Robotech Full Size Zentreadi (warrior race so the Battle Mage OCC makes sense, 30-40ft giant-size but comes with a PE attribute of like 3d6x100 which would be good for a magic user IINM). Note this one is more of a gag suggestion.

How "alien" is she looking to go as an Elf is a D-Bee/alien. Or put another way what is she looking for in terms of "alien".

Lyvorrk (WB1o, WB30 pg130-3, their base PPE is added into magical occ and has a high PE base (good).

Optionally you could just use the random tables in Phaseworld to create a new race (there are a series of tables for this) that is to her liking.

Do you happen to know which source book gives the most info on how the elven race fits into the Three Galaxies. I think I'm going to try to sell this to the player one more time. I don't think I made it clear that they are also part of the space opera setting. Thanks!
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

true Atlanteans tend to be good magic users.

For the battle mage perhaps a wolfen or rouge cs battle cat.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

jburkett wrote:which D-bees or aliens do you feel make good magic users?

Gnomes, they are the most size-efficient.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

jburkett wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:First Edition Robotech Full Size Zentreadi (warrior race so the Battle Mage OCC makes sense, 30-40ft giant-size but comes with a PE attribute of like 3d6x100 which would be good for a magic user IINM). Note this one is more of a gag suggestion.

Do you happen to know which source book gives the most info on how the elven race fits into the Three Galaxies. I think I'm going to try to sell this to the player one more time. I don't think I made it clear that they are also part of the space opera setting. Thanks!

Star Elves are in DB5 (pg44-5) and are associated with the UWW, which is a major player in the setting and has bits in basically every Phaseworld DB.

If she doesn't want to play an Elf in the setting, you might want to find out why and work with her to find something she does want to play that satisfies you both.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

The Anvil Galaxy book probably has the most information on how the Star Elves fit into the Three Galaxies. Please note that the original Phase World book had the sort of Elves seen in other books, which got retconned to some amount of disagreement. Star Elves have Supernatural Strength and fairly low mdc, but their racial ppe doesn't get added to their magic occ total like standard elves.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Honestly if you are playing phase world shifters are better than combat mages. The abilty to travel to worlds visited 2 times is really good.

Are star elves in phase world d-bees, I thought they where native to the dimension.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
VIsgar
Explorer
Comment: Reflux adept.

Unread post by VIsgar »

Chiang-ku from WB3 England. The only OCC taking dragon and master of all things truly awesome. Can look like whatever you want but much stronger than the other humans so might not work.

Curbludgeons post saying Ultrovians is a great mage with the double ppe regen, extra ppe and best part +1 spell strength but you look funky.

Lemurians from WB32 Lemuria

The Killdred from PF14 Land of the Damned One Chaos Lands
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

Chiang-ku do not select an O.C.C., but can learn any kind of magic (in addition to their innate tattoo magic abilities).
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

They do select an OCC. WB3p49 lists some which they can study. The difference is that "other skills are not applicable", so they get a watered-down version, similar to how major psionics used to get their skills cut in exchange for mastering the OCC concurrently with their natural abilities.

108 says "9th level tattoo master", Africa 144 "he is also a 7th level necromancer"

Return to “Rifts®”