Telemechanic Mental Operation and power armour

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Baron mugwort
Dungeon Crawler

Telemechanic Mental Operation and power armour

Unread post by Baron mugwort »

My character has the skills Pilot:robots and power Armour and Robot Combat basic. He also has Telemechanic Mental Operation.

Can he control the whole robot or suit of power armour without being inside it?

I am thinking of a situation where I cannot enter the vehicle for whatever reason (but am within range).

An example being the CS has caught me and I am being led to a cell through a camp. As I pass an unmanned robot/PA (and am within range). Can the robot/PA come to life and shoot my captors? Can I make it fight?

As an aside I do not have Telemechanic Possession and don't want to pick it.

If this has already been answered elsewhere I apologise :)
"Baron Mugwort, I think you are the official representative of the intrests of Giants in Rifts. Its a great job (full benefits!)." Argos.

http://www.kingsofrpg.com For all things RPG!
Contribute to the website with your own RPG advice, stories and adventures! barnonmugwort@ding-irl.com
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Re: Telemechanic Mental Operation and power armour

Unread post by jaymz »

Pretty sure operation is literal operation, as in you have to be in the PA and using it traditionally, and you would need Possession to do what you are asking.....

Not 100% sure though.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Baron mugwort
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Baron mugwort »

It has a range of 20ft +5/level though :)
"Baron Mugwort, I think you are the official representative of the intrests of Giants in Rifts. Its a great job (full benefits!)." Argos.

http://www.kingsofrpg.com For all things RPG!
Contribute to the website with your own RPG advice, stories and adventures! barnonmugwort@ding-irl.com
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

well reading the first paragraph it seams fairly clear.

This power is a step beyond the mere understanding of machines granted by Telemechanics, it allows the psychic to telepathically operate machines with his mind! As long as the machine functions, he knows how to use it, and it is turned "on," the psychic can manipulate it with his mind as if his fingers were on the controls!....drive a hover car (even if there is already a driver, but at -30% when usurping the pilot)

So you could operate the power armor if it is turned on. If it is powered down the power might not allow its operation do to the requirement that it be turned "on".
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Point of order: what if you don't have fingers?
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

For many machines you could probably assume that, so long as there was a power source, you would not need to turn them on prior to using telemechanic operation...you could telemechanically operate whatever electronically regulated power source turns the machine on and off.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Axelmania wrote:Point of order: what if you don't have fingers?

What is the point of this?
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

shadrak wrote:For many machines you could probably assume that, so long as there was a power source, you would not need to turn them on prior to using telemechanic operation...you could telemechanically operate whatever electronically regulated power source turns the machine on and off.

i'd expect that depends... if it's an electrically operated switch, i'd say you could turn things on. if it's a physically operated switch (by this point, probably standard for CS vehicles given they've been treating psychics like garbage for decades and i can't imagine they've failed to figure out such a simple counter to psychic attacks of that nature by now after probably numerous occasions where it was a problem).

that said, i wouldn't be too surprised if there were machines with the power turned on from time to time... and i also wouldn't be too surprised if the grunts' first response to anything even remotely funny happening (whether you could plausibly be the source or not) was to attempt to KO or kill you (depending on your value as a prisoner). so make your ambush count ;)
Blue_Lion
Knight

Manual toggles are not a significant inconvenience, and would have a added level of security.

I could reasonably see the main circuit breaker toggle to power the system still being manual. This would allow them to cut all power to the robot or power armor so they could provide maintenance safely. Making this the main way you power on and off the vehicle for use sets the habit of breaking power to the system.

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Then you'll probably have a pair of fingerless gloves.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Killer Cyborg wrote:

They're called mittens.
Axelmania
Knight

Blue_Lion wrote:

You quoted "as if his fingers were on"

For someone with 4 fingers, it is as if they have 4 fingers on.

For someone with 3 fingers, it is as if they have 3 fingers on.

and so on.
torjones
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by torjones »

Baron mugwort wrote:My character has the skills Pilot:robots and power Armour and Robot Combat basic. He also has Telemechanic Mental Operation.

Can he control the whole robot or suit of power armor without being inside it?

I am thinking of a situation where I cannot enter the vehicle for whatever reason (but am within range).

An example being the CS has caught me and I am being led to a cell through a camp. As I pass an unmanned robot/PA (and am within range). Can the robot/PA come to life and shoot my captors? Can I make it fight?

As an aside I do not have Telemechanic Possession and don't want to pick it.

If this has already been answered elsewhere I apologize :)

Personally, I'd allow it, but I'm a very permissive GM, and a very restrictive GM might rule otherwise. As far as the rules as written, I believe that they allow it as well. Problem would come with a robot or PA that was powered down. Sure, you could flip the switch to power it up, but IIRC, that takes a bit of time to fully boot the robot, and by the time it was done booting, you'd likely be long out of range to control it, unless you get creative.

Reasoning: example given of a VCR, I realize that many of our younger players have no idea what that is, but it's kinda like a primitive version of a DVD player that recorded SD(360p and later 480p) images on magnetic tape reels contained in a rectangular plastic cassette. Anyway, you don't have to be within the VCR in order to operate it, and in fact, you merely need to be within range (25') to operate it. That same rule applies to any other machine you'd be controlling, as long as you're within range of the machine you want to control, you control it.

Also, as a low level character, the skill you get from telemechanics and TMO are 88% so, it's likely better than your skill at piloting normally. just something to keep in mind, so that you roll on the correct percentages... :)

May The Force be with you always.
Torrey
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

The Beast wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

They're called mittens.

Mittens are a kind of two-fingered glove.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Blue_Lion
Knight

Axelmania wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:

and so on.

That is what the power says. Word for word. The question really has no merit.

Blue_Lion
Knight

The Beast wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

They're called mittens.

Mittens are not gloves.

Mittens are hand covering that do not cover individual fingers.

Fingerless gloves are typically used in work outs to protect the palms but allow for grip.

Axelmania
Knight

Blue_Lion wrote:
Axelmania wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:

and so on.

I was fishing to see if anyone thought that people without hands should still be able to do hand-like operations with it.

One thing that comes to mind would be someone with Ectoplasm, since those can create hand-like limbs. So if you created an ectoplasmic hand, you should then be able to use TMO as if you had hands.

Blue_Lion wrote:Mittens are not gloves.

Fingerless gloves are typically used in work outs to protect the palms but allow for grip.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/mitten#Noun says "a type of glove", if gloves required finger sheathes then "fingerless glove" wouldn't make sense, because fingerlessness would make it a non-glove.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Axelmania wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:
Axelmania wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:

and so on.

I was fishing to see if anyone thought that people without hands should still be able to do hand-like operations with it.

One thing that comes to mind would be someone with Ectoplasm, since those can create hand-like limbs. So if you created an ectoplasmic hand, you should then be able to use TMO as if you had hands.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/mitten#Noun says "a type of glove", if gloves required finger sheathes then "fingerless glove" wouldn't make sense, because fingerlessness would make it a non-glove.

Ergo, gloves do not require finger sheaths.

torjones
Dungeon Crawler

Axelmania wrote:I was fishing to see if anyone thought that people without hands should still be able to do hand-like operations with it.

I don't think "Hands" is the operative word there. After all, if an Octo-man (or whatever they're called, it's been a long time since I've looked them up) who has 8 tenticles for arms and no hands on any of them, I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to rule that they couldn't use the power just because they didn't actually have hands, in spite of the fact that they have no problems what so ever (afaik) of manipulating humanoid technology including computers and weapons. I realize that we have some strange people in this forum who like to take strange positions for strange reasons, but even they I don't believe would make such a ruling, it's nonsensical. So the possibility of using Ectoplasm as a hand shouldn't even enter into it.

Torrey
Blue_Lion
Knight

Axelmania wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:
Axelmania wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:

and so on.

well no if you use a real dictionary US and not wiki you would see that is a mitten is hand covering not a glove.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mitten
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/mitten

Mittens are hand covering not gloves.
The term fingerless gloves a is specific type item that is not mittens.

https://www.bing.com/shop?q=fingerless+ ... ORM=SHOPTB

Now more to the point, I would say reguardless of the state of the users hands it would allow them to use the power as though they had fingers on the controls. (if intent was to ask about that then you worded it poorly you came acrossed as attacking the wording for the sake of attacking. So I asked what the point of it was, and your reply continued the trend that it appeared as an attack on the word and not a question about use of item. You never phased it as an actual question with merit until now.)

Axelmania
Knight

Blue_Lion wrote:well no if you use a real dictionary US and not wiki you would see that is a mitten is hand covering not a glove.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio ... ish/mitten "a type of glove with a single part for all the fingers and a separate part for the thumb"

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/mitten "A glove with two sections, one for the thumb and the other for all four fingers."

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dicti ... ish/mitten "a glove having one section for the thumb and a single section for the other fingers"

You about done? I don't have a high opinion of M-W, they make a lot of mistakes in my experience.

Blue_Lion wrote:Now more to the point, I would say reguardless of the state of the users hands it would allow them to use the power as though they had fingers on the controls.

How many?

Blue_Lion wrote:(if intent was to ask about that then you worded it poorly you came acrossed as attacking the wording for the sake of attacking.

You should question why you jump to false conclusions about people's motives like that.

Blue_Lion wrote:So I asked what the point of it was, and your reply continued the trend that it appeared as an attack on the word and not a question about use of item. You never phased it as an actual question with merit until now.)

The purpose of asking "what if you don't have finger?" was 100% clear, and meritoriously phrased from the outset.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Axelmania wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:well no if you use a real dictionary US and not wiki you would see that is a mitten is hand covering not a glove.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio ... ish/mitten "a type of glove with a single part for all the fingers and a separate part for the thumb"

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/mitten "A glove with two sections, one for the thumb and the other for all four fingers."

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dicti ... ish/mitten "a glove having one section for the thumb and a single section for the other fingers"

You about done? I don't have a high opinion of M-W, they make a lot of mistakes in my experience.

Blue_Lion wrote:Now more to the point, I would say reguardless of the state of the users hands it would allow them to use the power as though they had fingers on the controls.

How many?

Blue_Lion wrote:(if intent was to ask about that then you worded it poorly you came acrossed as attacking the wording for the sake of attacking.

You should question why you jump to false conclusions about people's motives like that.

Blue_Lion wrote:So I asked what the point of it was, and your reply continued the trend that it appeared as an attack on the word and not a question about use of item. You never phased it as an actual question with merit until now.)

The purpose of asking "what if you don't have finger?" was 100% clear, and meritoriously phrased from the outset.

Oxford and Cambridge are UK dictionaries words have different meaning than they do in US. Merian-webster is a leading English dictionary for the US. Your regard for it is irrelevant it is how words are defined in the US. (webster is the US equilvent of UK's oxford dictionary, Merian-webster there flag ship that receives regular updates. Originally the two dictionaries went head to head, however they used different polling methods to determine the meaning of words. Oxford limited it to just a limited group of academics while Webster did a general population poll. However when it was determined that Webster's polling method was superior oxford switched to it. Webster's still is the main dictionary used in the US, where 75% of English speakers live. OED is more allied to English historically than how it is used currently.)

I go to that conclusion because I have noticed a trend from you to attempt to turn debates into petty arguments, over trivial irrelevant things. The question just seams petty attempt to derail the thread into a petty argument than address what was being discussed.

The number of fingers they have is irrelevent. It is just a petty distraction. It really serves no purpus to discuss how many fingers because we do not have any information on the affect fingers have on the controls of power armor in game and the fingers only for the power only exist in the users mind.

Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

This is a Rifts forum. We don't need a pedantic argument over what constitutes a glove.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

The answer to what happens if you don't have hands is pretty blindingly obvious here people.
You turn to your GM and say "okay, so how does this work I don't have a hand?"
And I will bet you that 999 times out of 1000 the GM will say "it is as if your manipulator is on the controls dumb***, don't bog down with the details, just tell me what you want to do"
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

Mack wrote:This is a Rifts forum. We don't need a pedantic argument over what constitutes a glove.

How about a pedantic argument over which dictionary is better? The answer is the OED. :D

On the topic at hand, I agree with Eliakon and the others who say that the power just works, don't get bogged down.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
Axelmania
Knight

Blue_Lion wrote:Oxford and Cambridge are UK dictionaries words have different meaning than they do in US.

Sometimes. I don't think this is one of those cases.

Blue_Lion wrote:Merian-webster is a leading English dictionary for the US.

I can say with 100% certainty that this statement is false.

Mack wrote:This is a Rifts forum. We don't need a pedantic argument over what constitutes a glove.

How about an earmuff? :)

eliakon wrote:I will bet you that 999 times out of 1000 the GM will say "it is as if your manipulator is on the controls

So what would that be for an armless man? His toes?
torjones
Dungeon Crawler

Axelmania wrote:

Sadly, Merian-Webster is *A* leading US English dictionary, though, Webster's is the most popular, and American Heritage is the most technically accurate as it is a prescriptive dictionary. It doesn't tell you how people misuse the language, it tells you how you're supposed to use the language.
Axelmania wrote:
eliakon wrote:I will bet you that 999 times out of 1000 the GM will say "it is as if your manipulator is on the controls

So what would that be for an armless man? His toes?

Stop getting bogged down in irrelevant nonsense. It works as though a normal person with arms and hands had their hands on the controls. Leave it at that, and move on with the game. If you were at my table bringing this stupidity up bogging the game down you'd be on your second warning already before being asked to leave for the night so that the rest of the players could get on with what they're here for, which is playing the game.

Torrey
Blue_Lion
Knight

Axelmania wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:Oxford and Cambridge are UK dictionaries words have different meaning than they do in US.

Sometimes. I don't think this is one of those cases.

How about an earmuff? :)

1 well as the definition of the British one was different than the Americans dictionaries that does indicate this is one of those times.
All the leading American dictionaries are calling it a hand covering, the british ones calls it a glove. That indicates they are not defined the same. https://www.ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?q=Mittens

2 I can say with 100% for the US your statement is blatantly wrong. It is as a said a leading English dictionary in the US.

3 Mack was right this is pointless. And are you now trying to troll him with the earmuff comment?
(I am through with this glove discussion, I think the main point I had was that fingerless gloves is refence to a particular type of hand covering that covers the palm but leaves fingers free to grip.)

I think the important thing is it would allow you to steal the PA if the suit is powered, if they cut the power when they store it then you might not be able to steal it.

Axelmania
Knight

torjones wrote:Merian-Webster is *A* leading US English dictionary

Merriam-Webster is a dictionary which has notably high sales, I'll wager.

torjones wrote:If you were at my table bringing this stupidity up

Why is following the RAW "stupidity" only when it bothers you?

Blue_Lion wrote:1 well as the definition of the British one was different than the Americans dictionaries that does indicate this is one of those times.

Or that Merriam-Webster is managed by a bunch of fops who try to shape language instead of report it.

Merriam-Webster has been owned by Encyclopedia Brittanica (originally a Scottish company) since 1964, which has been owned by Jacqui Safra (a Brazilian with Syrian-Swiss background) since 1996, so it has strayed from its Massachusetts origins for the 22 years it's been out of the hands of the Benton foundation.

Blue_Lion wrote:All the leading American dictionaries are calling it a hand covering, the british ones calls it a glove. That indicates they are not defined the same. https://www.ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?q=Mittens

M-W listed "mitt" and "mitten" under glove's synonyms at https://books.google.ca/books?id=7YrUaeScLzYC&pg=PA315 published 1996.

I have an old Grosset-Webster dictionary which does have the narrow 'individual finger sheath' definition though, and I believe the phrase "fits like a glove" probably doesn't have mitts/mittens in mind.

That said: baseballs mitts (which are also called baseball gloves) DO have individual finger sheaths. Albeit very oversized ones.

I think it would be safe to say that glove has different uses, some implications being narrow while some usages broad.

Blue_Lion wrote:3 Mack was right this is pointless. And are you now trying to troll him with the earmuff comment?

That was a joke about one of the images from Federation of Magic.

Blue_Lion wrote:I think the important thing is it would allow you to steal the PA if the suit is powered, if they cut the power when they store it then you might not be able to steal it.

Glad we're back on track. What about if PA is off but there is a power button?
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Topic locked because some posters would prefer to argue about dictionaries than have a productive discussion.

Additionally, I allowed many of the pedantic, quibbling, word game arguments with ridiculous assertions to go on because I prefer to give forum members leeway to resolve disagreements. It's apparent that some members have trouble wielding that leeway responsibly. Consider this to be your "knock it off" warning.

If you think this applies to someone other than yourself, think again.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.

Return to “Rifts®”