non-surgical killing of attached parasites

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

non-surgical killing of attached parasites

Unread post by Axelmania »

Splynn Dimensional Market has this neat parasite which will wipe you from existence shortly after you gain 3 levels with it, and only gods / alien intelligences can't bond with it, so this seems like a neat way to doom Adult Dragons and Greater Demons and similar major threats.

They could probably manage to find a surgeon, but supposing they were in a rush, could you just brute force the process by trying to bite it off? How much more damaging would that be?
Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Re: non-surgical killing of attached parasites

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

i would say the parasites can be removed quite easily with magic, and maybe with a penalty to the surgery skill.
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Axelmania wrote:Splynn Dimensional Market has this neat parasite which will wipe you from existence shortly after you gain 3 levels with it, and only gods / alien intelligences can't bond with it, so this seems like a neat way to doom Adult Dragons and Greater Demons and similar major threats.

They could probably manage to find a surgeon, but supposing they were in a rush, could you just brute force the process by trying to bite it off? How much more damaging would that be?

How much "rush" could you possibly be in?
Its not like someone can gain three levels in anything remotely resembling haste, especially something like an Adult Dragon.

More importantly there are already pretty detailed rules on removing parasites.

Not to mention that it presumes that you can infect something with this parasite quickly enough with out its co-operation to use as an attack in the first place. Or that you would be granting them a pretty significant power boost until they did vanish....

And all of that presumes that someone has the parasite, knows how it works, and that the vanished creature isn't going somewhere else and doing something (such as, for example.... feeding a being like Chronus)
Not everyone has the game book to read in game.... so while this plan might sound like a great deal to a meta-gamer who knows all the book stats...
...it fails on basically every level when looked at from the perspective of what a person inside the game could/would know.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

wouldn't the splugorth parasites be MDC, probably supernatural, critters with at least basic regen? removing one of those even with surgery would be tricky. without it you'd probably have to rip out most of your own flesh.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Axelmania wrote:Splynn Dimensional Market has this neat parasite which will wipe you from existence shortly after you gain 3 levels with it, and only gods / alien intelligences can't bond with it, so this seems like a neat way to doom Adult Dragons and Greater Demons and similar major threats.

Are you talking about adult dragons?

The Temporal Link parasite bonds to the chest, and the picture indicates it's a big bulb on the chest. I don't think a being like a greater dragon would suffer any lasting effect because they can naturally regrow damaged organs anyway. the Long-Term penalties table for parasites attached to the body are mostly there for humans and mortal beings without a natural bio-regen, I would think the Dragon could bite it off, spit it out, and be fine in a few days.

In this case in particular, given the parasites are actually fragments of an Alien Intelligence, I would think a standard Exorcism would work too.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

The parasite's being able to cast a certain number of temporal spells/day is reminiscent of the Transdimensional TMNT Time Lords, for whatever that's worth. In that Faerie magic is somewhat similar in nature, and is widely exploited in Biowizardry, one might find a narrative resonance between the two and make seeding the Temporal Link among the Splugorth a planned event by a loose confederacy of former slaves and the 79th level of Null-Time.

Assuming surgery proved insufficient to remove the parasite, there's a Biomancy spell to get rid of it lickety-split. I'd also argue the Wormwood prayer of communion to remove symbiotes can be extended to non-Wormwood stuff, and even parasites, without people necessarily getting bent out of shape.
Blackwater Sniper
Explorer
Comment: The only bad character is the one you didn't put on paper.

Unread post by Blackwater Sniper »

Without the description in front of me, there are more question than answers.

Is there a limitation on what the parasite can/will attach to? It's possible that any attempt for a parasite to bond with something as powerful as your adult dragon could kill the parasite instead.

A parasite feeds off its host in some way, what keeps this one alive? Does the parasite affect any other aspects of the target's life: drains PPE/ISP, prevent shape-shifting, or involuntarily controls the host's mind and body?
So what if I don’t know what apocalypse means? It’s not the end of the world!
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Blackwater Sniper wrote:Without the description in front of me, there are more question than answers.

Is there a limitation on what the parasite can/will attach to? It's possible that any attempt for a parasite to bond with something as powerful as your adult dragon could kill the parasite instead.

Each Parasite in Spynn has an entry for what it will/won't attach to. for a good number, they only work on mortals, specifically don't work on things like adult dragons.

For this one in particular, it specifies that the only limit is it can't attach to Gods or Alien Intelligences. Anything less than that teir is vunerable.

A parasite feeds off its host in some way, what keeps this one alive? Does the parasite affect any other aspects of the target's life: drains PPE/ISP, prevent shape-shifting, or involuntarily controls the host's mind and body?

After you gain 3 levels of experiance higher htan you were when you got it, you cease to exist and nothing anyone can do can bring you back.

Why is unkown in game even to splurgorth, but it says that the actual truth is the Parasites are fragments of a sleeping Alien Intelligence similar to the Old Ones, and when they vanish from existance, what's actually happening is that the Alien Intelligence is deveouring you body and soul.

Basically, Your getting fragment of one of the Sleeping Powers which gives you great power up until the being giving that power consumes you.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Blackwater Sniper
Explorer
Comment: The only bad character is the one you didn't put on paper.

Unread post by Blackwater Sniper »

What were the devs thinking? Rarely do they put out an insta-kill item like that without a reason.

Juicers burn their bodies internal systems -- makes sense. Energy weapons can create a red puff out of an unarmored human -- makes sense. Parasite that kills you because ...(?)
So what if I don’t know what apocalypse means? It’s not the end of the world!
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Blackwater Sniper wrote:What were the devs thinking? Rarely do they put out an insta-kill item like that without a reason.

Juicers burn their bodies internal systems -- makes sense. Energy weapons can create a red puff out of an unarmored human -- makes sense. Parasite that kills you because ...(?)

There's a very specific reason listed: an Old One level being is devouring you.

It's just unknown in game how or why it happens, but the actual reason is listed.

taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

eliakon wrote:[
And all of that presumes that someone has the parasite, knows how it works, and that the vanished creature isn't going somewhere else and doing something (such as, for example.... feeding a being like Chronus)
Not everyone has the game book to read in game.... so while this plan might sound like a great deal to a meta-gamer who knows all the book stats...
...it fails on basically every level when looked at from the perspective of what a person inside the game could/would know.

Well, getting clairvoyant readings from colleagues that tell you 'you're going to die horribly, man, and that lump figures prominently in your demise' MIGHT be a possible tip-off in-game.

Or just generally bad vibes about having something resembling an alien EGG attached to you...
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

taalismn wrote:
eliakon wrote:[

Well, getting clairvoyant readings from colleagues that tell you 'you're going to die horribly, man, and that lump figures prominently in your demise' MIGHT be a possible tip-off in-game.

Or just generally bad vibes about having something resembling an alien EGG attached to you...

Oh, my statement was more of the absurdity of the idea that someone would
1) know that this is an insta-kill parasite
2) AND know that it works on greater supernatural beings, elder dragons ect
3) AND get one
4) AND some how attach one to their target
5) AND keep it there for three levels

It is beyond absurd and into pattently rediculous.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Axelmania
Knight

eliakon wrote:How much "rush" could you possibly be in?
Its not like someone can gain three levels in anything remotely resembling haste, especially something like an Adult Dragon.

Perhaps you procrastinated the removal because you were enjoying the powers, or only heard about the negative aspect much later on? Or perhaps the creature saddled with the parasite isn't a shapeshifter like many dragons/demons and doesn't have ready access to trusted surgeons.

eliakon wrote:More importantly there are already pretty detailed rules on removing parasites.

Without medical skills? Where?

eliakon wrote:Not to mention that it presumes that you can infect something with this parasite quickly enough with out its co-operation to use as an attack in the first place. Or that you would be granting them a pretty significant power boost until they did vanish....

The power boost isn't that significant if the creature already knows Temporal Magic. Imagine affixing it to a Temporal Raider, or a Demigod Temporal Wizard, for example.

The time needed for parasites to attach to hosts does require clarification, I'm with you on that. It might depend on the species.

eliakon wrote:And all of that presumes that someone has the parasite, knows how it works, and that the vanished creature isn't going somewhere else and doing something (such as, for example.... feeding a being like Chronus)

I expect the Splugorth know that it can cause people to vanish, since they observed a batch of them in effect centuries ago prior to receiving this 2nd batch. Going to feed an imprisoned being like Cronus still basically puts them out of play, or at least consolidates your enemies to procrastinate them as a threat.

glitterboy2098 wrote:wouldn't the splugorth parasites be MDC, probably supernatural, critters with at least basic regen? removing one of those even with surgery would be tricky. without it you'd probably have to rip out most of your own flesh.

MDC beings heal a mere 2D6/day unless otherwise indicated. I agree that trying to brute-force them out without surgical skills would cause more damage than doing it professionally, the question is how much.

Nekira Sudacne wrote:given the parasites are actually fragments of an Alien Intelligence, I would think a standard Exorcism would work too.

That sort of thing isn't a fix for vampires or witches, why would it help here?

eliakon wrote:my statement was more of the absurdity of the idea that someone would
1) know that this is an insta-kill parasite
2) AND know that it works on greater supernatural beings, elder dragons ect
3) AND get one
4) AND some how attach one to their target
5) AND keep it there for three levels

It is beyond absurd and into pattently rediculous.

It's not insta-kill, more of a delay. The problem is moreso how it hints at irreversibility one you do fade out after the 3 level-ups.

Splynncryth has experimented on an ancient dragon in Azlum (Styphathal's bro) so it's not inconceivably he has tested the limits of this parasite. He also presumably has THOUSANDS of them.

The main thing is your final point: can you keep it on someone for 3 levels and prevent them from getting it off?

I'm aware of Biomancy/Wormwood spells to repel symbiotes, and of the surgical option, but how do we deal with big powerful monsters who don't have the means to negotiate with surgeons and just want to clamp their jaws onto it and pull it off?

I vaguely remember that kind of LCD intervention on attached organisms being discussed for some other parasites but I can't remember which one, and I don't know if the type of damage for ripping off other parasites should necessarily be equivalent to other parasites who may be more or less invasive.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Axelmania wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:given the parasites are actually fragments of an Alien Intelligence, I would think a standard Exorcism would work too.

That sort of thing isn't a fix for vampires or witches, why would it help here?

Why wouldn't it work? It results in neither a vampire or witch. And now that you mention it, I can't find any text that says excorism doesn't work on witches.

Axelmania
Knight

Isn't that more for unwilling possession and not consenting soul-mergers?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Axelmania wrote:Isn't that more for unwilling possession and not consenting soul-mergers?

Is it concenting? Many parasites are given to slaves against their will. And vampires are rarely willing

Axelmania
Knight

I meant in respect to witches, they choose to make a pact.

If vampires can't be cured via exorcism and they aren't consenting then why would it work against willing possessions?

The temporal parasite isn't actually possessing the person's body, it's linked with it, so we would need other examples to look to for exorcism working merely on a being physically bonded to your body but not inhabiting your soul.
Khanibal
Hero
Comment: Anything worth killing is worth overkilling.

Unread post by Khanibal »

In the time it takes an adult dragon to gain three levels, he or she could fund an orphanage, send the smart kids to medical school and raise his own surgeon.
"Then one day, I was just walking down the street and I heard a voice behind me say, 'Reach for it Mister.', and I spun around and there I was face to face with a six-year-old kid.
Well, I just threw my guns down, walked away. Little bastard shot me in the ass.”

-Waco Kid (Blazing Saddles)
Axelmania
Knight

True, but during that time some other dragon might come along and eat their surgeon children. There could always be circumstances where you must bite it off!

Return to “Rifts®”