Requesting help with Vehicle stat and design.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Widow
D-Bee

Requesting help with Vehicle stat and design.

Unread post by Widow »

Greetings, thank you in advance for help with this.

So I saw a picture and got inspired.

So in a upcoming adventure near the Pecos territory. I want to do a side adventure to introduce some Freedom fighters fighting locally against bandits. These crazy band of Freedom Fighters uses a very unique vehicle. (See pic below)

http://oi1122.photobucket.com/albums/l5 ... dtt5sh.jpg

It originally was a OV-10 Bronco. I feel like this could be a junk vehicle that is MDC remake of Golden Age co. (I definitely dont want to stat it out being new.) But I feel like, to really get the scary feel of danger of being in this vehicle it might be nice to design it as a SDC vehicle as well. So I feel SDC and MDC would be important. Not sure, still torn on this one lol.

I know Kitsune has done some really nice work like this, but not sure if he is still around/active.

Please feel free to throw any info at me from the books to piece this together. I do absolutely want to stick to as realistic as possible and also making sure its junky, not operating/stated to new condition lol.

Not asking for anyone to do all the work for me (although if someone has info already done up on something like this/is that good with stating), by all means. I wont complain lol. But ive been on a basically 10 year disappearance so Im rusty.

Who knows this might turn out to be so awesome, the players make it a new group vehicle. Get some air support going while players on the ground. Its something I think would bring a cool element to a fight for these players.

Side thought: I did notice i think a mini gun on the back and a 50 cal on top. (sorry dont have all the pics in front of me) Did Golden Age have a remake of those as well anywhere? I dont recall seeing them.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Re: Requesting help with Vehicle stat and design.

Unread post by jaymz »

Keep it light mdc (maybe on par with a sky king at most so about 150ish)

Use the ramjet rounds from mercs.

Maybe when a hard maneuver is made a piloting check is needed to make sure something doesn't break.

Otherwise for speed and altitude could be kept as per the actual vehicle and maybe the power system is replaced with the hydrogen cells from Northern Gun?
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Rifter #5 has a TW vintage Air Force with WWII planes, they might make a good staring/reference point.

Otherwise use HU2E/N&SS vehicle construction rules to make an SDC version, then use the guidelines in RUE (forget if it was a skill or Operator class) to convert it to MDC. Weapons, just go with Ramjet or explosive rounds (see Mercenaries). Or alternatively go TW conversion with alternate power supply (so it can fly off a ley line).
Widow
D-Bee

Unread post by Widow »

Awesome,

1. jaymz, love those ideas. Ill see if I can find the ram jet rounds. Im guessing that was responding to finding the 50 cal and mini gun mdc versions?

2. ShadowLogan, yes! I couldnt remember where I saw the TW Planes. Thank you for that.
Widow
D-Bee

Unread post by Widow »

Yes!

Found the 50 cal and Mini Gun MDC versions on Merc Ops pg 121.
torjones
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by torjones »

Widow wrote:Greetings, thank you in advance for help with this.

So I saw a picture and got inspired.

So in a upcoming adventure near the Pecos territory. I want to do a side adventure to introduce some Freedom fighters fighting locally against bandits. These crazy band of Freedom Fighters uses a very unique vehicle. (See pic below)

http://oi1122.photobucket.com/albums/l5 ... dtt5sh.jpg

It originally was a OV-10 Bronco. I feel like this could be a junk vehicle that is MDC remake of Golden Age co. (I definitely dont want to stat it out being new.) But I feel like, to really get the scary feel of danger of being in this vehicle it might be nice to design it as a SDC vehicle as well. So I feel SDC and MDC would be important. Not sure, still torn on this one lol.

I know Kitsune has done some really nice work like this, but not sure if he is still around/active.

Please feel free to throw any info at me from the books to piece this together. I do absolutely want to stick to as realistic as possible and also making sure its junky, not operating/stated to new condition lol.

Not asking for anyone to do all the work for me (although if someone has info already done up on something like this/is that good with stating), by all means. I wont complain lol. But ive been on a basically 10 year disappearance so Im rusty.

Who knows this might turn out to be so awesome, the players make it a new group vehicle. Get some air support going while players on the ground. Its something I think would bring a cool element to a fight for these players.

Side thought: I did notice i think a mini gun on the back and a 50 cal on top. (sorry dont have all the pics in front of me) Did Golden Age have a remake of those as well anywhere? I dont recall seeing them.

Love the Bronco, really a cool little plane. Though, that image, and I do like the model and the work that went into it, if real, would cause pilots fits. The mismatched props alone would give pilots serious pause... :)

Anyway, I suggest looking into Golden Age Weaponsmiths. From the Mercenaries book, starting on p 96, it covers how to convert vehicles from pre-rifts tech to modern Rifts tech. (the aircraft specific stuff is on page 98) Merc Ops has some example aircraft starting on p 131 that might provide a bit more suggestion as to what's appropriate.

If it were me, I'd stick with essentially the same basic stats as the OV-10D has in real life, and for things like MDC and the like, then go with the GAW recommended figures. (unless you're going to go nuclear or TW)

May The Force be with you always.
Torrey
Widow
D-Bee

Unread post by Widow »

OV-10D "Death Punch"

Disclaimer: Work in Progress. Some notes are characters etc are referencing info I have in the folder. This is copied straight from my notes.

(Side thought: Making the crazy pilot leader a BarnStormer OCC lol.)

-10% Just trying to fly this thing if you aren't the BarnStormer Pilot Leader.

General characteristics
M.D.C. by Location:
Propellers(2) — 40 each
Tail (includes vertical stabilizers, rudders and wing 'boom')— 110
Canopy Top Turret — 40
Wings(2) —120 each
Main body — 120
Rear bubble turret — 50
Depleting the M.D.C. of a wing, both propellers, or the main body knocks the plane out of the sky. If on a ley line, the plane floats gently to the ground. Otherwise, the pilot can attempt
a crash landing at -40% (plane is wrecked but crew survives). Destroying the tail inflicts a -30% penalty on piloting skill. One engine can be destroyed and the plane can stay in the air at half speed and -25% on piloting skill.

(Info adjusted from Original Specs etc)
Crew: 1 pilot, 1 co-pilot who is mainly top gunner, 1 rear bubble gunner. also the kid who crawls around in side working on this.
Length: 44 ft 0 in (13.41 m)
Wingspan: 40 ft 0 in (12.19 m)
Height: 15 ft 2 in (4.62 m)
Wing area: 290.95 ft² (27.03 m²)
Empty weight: 7,000 lb
Loaded weight: 10,800 lb
Max. takeoff weight: 13,200 lb (6,552 kg)

(Original Specs)
Empty weight: 6,893 lb (3,127 kg)
• Loaded weight: 9,908 lb (4,494 kg)
• Max. takeoff weight: 14,444 lb (6,552 kg)

(Modified version)
Empty Weight: 6,793 lbs
Loaded Weight: 9,808 lbs (Loaded Weight is set as configured in picture) w/ 4 crew
(Rough Estimate for Weights, in lbs)
200 pilot
125 co-pilot
195 rear gunner
85 for the kid
85 for mini gun
18 for front nose gun
300 for each fuel bomb
175 for 50 cal ammo
300 for mini gun ammo
200 lbs in random gear
200 lbs in parts, misc

10,076 lbs fully loaded. (this is a base minimum i feel, this includes crew, ammo, weapons, etc)

Max takeoff weight: 14,000 lbs (lowered this due to poor engines etc, adjust as needed)

Tailplane Span 14 ft, 7 in (4.45 m)
Powerplant: 2 × Garrett T76-G-420/421 turboprop, 900 hp each
(Side Thoughts: Modified to run the same fuel thats in the TW Fire Bombs? Would be funny to have them drop the bombs, and a moment of victory cheers. Then a player notice the fuel is on "F". LOL...no one told them that dropping the fuel bombs means losing fuel. OH NO! How far back to base is it?!)
Take off minimum: 1,000 ft. Landing Minimum: 400 ft stop w/full reverse thrust.
Take off Speed: 100 mph

Performance
Maximum speed: 200 mph
Range: 1,000 mi (If fuel barrels used instead of TW Fire bombs.) Without, 400 mile range.
Service ceiling: 20,000 ft (9,159 m)
Secret Modifications:
1. 100 mile range center Ley Line skimmer device. Built into under belly.
(think belly water prop plane)

2. Custom Mix NOS Fuel injector for "APOCALYPSE SPEED" +100 (200 if diving) mph for 1d4 rounds, plus large smoke screen that is very sooty 30% chance pursuing vehicles have windshields blinded, sensors clogged, air vents etc with a oil like substance.) 50% chance if they maintained a close pursuit.
10% chance something comes loose and falls off the plane during this. Roll randomly.
(Roll once for each engine, 50% chance engine stalls after "A" speed is over)
(Roll once for each engine, 30% chance they catch on fire) (See extinguisher mod)
(Stalled engines must be restarted manually by someone crawling out, see below on rules detailing crawling out.) Will take 6 turns (3 turns for 1 engine) to crawl out, restart both engines and get back to top turret.
(For reference: if a plane has a lift to drag ratio of 10:1 then that means for every 10 miles of flight it loses one mile in altitude. Flying at a typical altitude of 36,000 feet (about seven miles), an aircraft that loses both engines will be able to travel for another 70 miles before reaching the ground.)

3. Engine Fire extinguish system. (10% on each engine line to see if the system is clogged. 20% if plane has taken damage. Adjust higher if heavily damaged.) If it is clogged, will require someone to crawl out on the wing and vent the line to unclog it. in 1d4 rounds the fire will damage the engine. "HURRY UNCLOG THAT LINE!")
-5% to skill to climb out there if they are normal flying, -10% some maneuvers (nothing to crazy), -15-20% for defensive flying going on while trying to climb out onto the wing.

4. Modified Original Fuel Switch to use custom and adaptable other fuel types. Switch located on each engine. Must be manually turned. See crawling out rules above for if during flight. Although both engines could run separate fuels if need be. Keep in mind that that each engine would be operating differently performance wise. Could impose a -5% penalty in some areas.

Rear Chaff Dispenser: A last ditch defense mechanism added to the plane for protection. Chaff or Blinding Flash flares are most common. Normal anti-missile flares are not really needed, as the Lightning has almost no infrared signature.
Payload is sixteen.
Often, TW storm flares are used for anti-vampire purposes.
Note: Most TW Vintage planes also have magic spells placed on mem that the pilot can call upon.
Bonuses: Includes all sensor, weapon, and design bonuses. +2 to dodge at cruising speeds, +4 at max speed. +1 on initiative and +2 to strike with weapons, +3 with the guns because of their advantageous positioning. Usually equipped with the best radar and sensors available.

Armament
( 1 outer engine mount on each wing, 1 inner engine mount on wing, 1 center underbelly mount, 2 mounts 1 in each stubby wing)
Top mounted 360 view 50 cal machine gun.
50 Caliber Heavy Machine-G u n : Damage : 1D6x 1 0 S.D.C.
per single shot or I D6x 100 S.D.C. (equal to I D6 M.D.) per 10 round burst. Effective Range : 6000 feet ( 1 82 8 m). Payload : 300 , 600 or 1,200 round disintegrating belt or belt fed drum.

Rear mounted Bubble Gun Turret Mini Gun (View: Rear and below, not forward or up.)
Mini-Gun: Damage : 2D6x 10 S.D.C. per single shot or 2D6x 100 S.D.C.(equal to 2 D6+3 M.D.) per 10 round burst.
Effective Range : 8000 feet (243 8 m). Payload : 300, 600 or 1,200 round disintegrating belt or belt fed drum.
Weight: 85 lbs

2 Barrel Bombs
TW Fire Bombs: These are large, barrel-shaped cylinders designed to look like the external fuel tanks. They are not very accurate, but then again,
they don't have to be because they are intended as area effect weapons.
Mega-Damage: 1D4X10 to a 100 foot (30.5 m) radius! Each
bomb creates a fire that will double in size every minute and
burn for at least 4D6 melees.
Weight: 300 lbs each full barrel.

2 Pilot fired non guided, direct. Air to Ground missiles.

1 pop out forward anti infantry machine gun. manually reloaded by pilot bending down.
(I think I like the Merc Ops pg 93 for this pop out gun.)

On the underbelly, 2 Stubby wings stick out. They have 1 mini gun each. But are currently not operational. Parts were salvaged to fix the rear one. (Give the players some stuff to work on.)

Those players with Mechanical skills could help possibly and team up with the Freedom Fighter mechanic to fix some things on the Death Punch. Good way to introduce the Mechanic NPC.
Last edited by Widow on Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

a couple things I would add.
notes on how much each ammo load option weighs for the rear minigun, and the .50 cal. with the 50cal I don't think I would actually give those ammo options, instead I would give it a 100/200 disintegrating belt feed (it has a "rack" on the side of the gun that can hold 1 or 2 ammo boxes that have to be manually reloaded when empty, and how many additional boxes can be carried in the plane? (my reasoning is that sure looks like a standard .50 cal pulled off a vehicle jeep, hummer, or tank (or similar) and mounted on the plane as an afterthought)

how much do the fuel/firebombs weigh and are there any more hard points to attach extra ordinance.

if you (or someone) decides to replace the firebomb/fuel pods with missiles for example how many can it carry?

I like what you have so far, just trying to help flesh it out some more.
Widow
D-Bee

Unread post by Widow »

Edited the stat reply with new progress.

Good ideas guardiandashi, started adding some of that info as well. Should see some of that reflected in the edit.

Progress is looking good! Thank you all for the help with this. Fun project!
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Rifter 38 has add stats for the OV-10D Bronco in its system failure warbirds article.
My suggestion is to divide the listed SDC by about ten to find what it would be like after an mdc patch job to give it armor. That would give it about 48 mdc main body, and another 15 on each wing and tail boom.

The MG looks to be about .30 caliber, so just use the stats off the wastelander Motorcycle's machinegun.

The main threat ought to be those drum bombs. If stuffed with ME explosives those could easily rival LRM warheads for damage, more than enough to level most small villages.
The bronco has several hard points per wing IRL, so you could probably rule they have rigged up other weapons as well. Perhaps half a dozen CR-1 rocket launchers, 3 per wing? Similar to how some scout planes in ww2 were mounted with arrays of single shot bazookas under the wings, or ones in vietnam were considered for similar using recoiled rifles.

That would give you a light plane with an MG, 6 minimissiles, and two very powerful but inaccurate drum bombs. Really good for intimidating villages into surrendering.

As far as fuel goes, you could have the bandit camp containing cans of fuel, methanol.. Use it as a lead in to sending the players towards a 'barter town' type place, That has a methane processing rig. Either a larger bandit group took it over, or the local Baron is real chummy with multiple bandit groups and has the town as a Freeport (think tortuga.. or perhaps Nipton from Fallout new vegas)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Widow
D-Bee

Unread post by Widow »

Awesome recall on the Rifter 38, glitteryboy2098. I didnt know that was in there, NICE!

I do love the idea of some patch work, SDC and MDC mix of health/status. Not sure if thats exactly what you meant but I like the thoughts it created in my head LOL.

Also good spot, I think the 30 cal saw main service before me joining in 99. So I guess thats why I assumed it was a 50 cal LOL. Thank you for turning me on to that.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

the "1/10th the listed SDC as MDC" is my personal approach to "mad max" level refits. GAW rebuilds a design extensively to make it support MDC structure, so they can get some fairly high MDC levels for what the thing is. but you should be able to just weld some MDC scrap plating over stuff and get at least a little protection. like the "hillbilly armor" seen on trucks and other vehicles in the middle east these last few decades. aircraft would be much harder to do that with, but you could attach thin plates over the skin, and/or glue some MDC fabric onto the inside of the important bits. wouldn't give much protection compared to rebuilding the entire chassis but would at least let it take a few hits from the typical laser rifle. outside the main body, wings, and tail though i doubt you'd be able to mount much protection, so those parts would remain fully SDC.
the result feels a lot more suited to bandits and other such threats.. on the ground, the trope for rifts bandits leans heavily towards mad max (particularly the "roadwarrior" feel, to which the recent "Fury Road" is a perfect addition.) patchwork vehicles with various custom weapons mounts. i don't see why in rifts aircraft couldn't be given the same treatment. and in both cases, giving them the GAW stats always felt a bit much for stuff that wasn't professionally rebuilt.

and it look liek i might have been wrong about the .30cal.. i found the modeller's page, which shows a few additional features, and a parts list he used for them model:
https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articl ... p?aid=2631

for more post-apoc plane goodness, try out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2J4eareIIg
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

ok here is my write up, using the Rifter 38 stats as a base, and sourcing the gun array details from the modeller's build thread (which included some stuff not immediately visible in the display photos)
stats for the guns have been sourced from RUE and Mercops (though in the latter, i had to correct the burst sizes to be in line with all other rifts books.), while the bomb stats are custom based on my own estimates from the explosives in Mercenaries and the size of the drums.
the weapons choices were to fit what i felt were likely for bandits.. weapons that do not require expensive ammunition or specialized training. just readily available conventional ammunition and supplies of fairly available low MDC explosives.

the fluff is largely placeholder.. augment it with whatever fits your game. also feel free to stick in less visible mods (such as your Nitrous-oxide idea). Nitro actually seem very likely, given that the R2800 Radials are built to handle War Emergency Power, so they should be able to handle NOx for boosts of power.

OV-10 Bronco "Death Punch"
The origins of this patchwork aircraft are shrouded in mystery, but its distinctive droning engine noise and black paint scheme has made it and the bandit group that operates it well known in the Pecos Empire. the Death punch is a heavily modified OV-10 Bronco, most likely found in a pre-rifts museum, which has been fitted with a pair of even older large and heavy R2800 radial engines, light M.D.C armoring, and additional weapons mounts. While fragile and primitively armed compared to a more modern aircraft, Death Punch has become infamous for its ability to level entire villages in bombing attacks.

Length: 41 feet,7 inches (12.7 m).
Span: 40 feet (12.2 m).
Max Takeoff Weight: 14,444 Ibs (6500 kg).
Maximum Speed: 280 mph (448 km).
Combat Range: 910 miles (1456 km). (reduce by 1/4th if the external fuel tank is destroyed)

M.D.C./S.D.C. by Location:

Main Body - 48 M.D.C.
Wings (2) - 15 M.D.C. each
Tail (2) - 15 M.D.C. each
Engine (2) - 175 S.D.C. each
External Fuel Tank - 150 S.D.C.
Bonuses: +25% to short-takeoff piloting checks.
Armaments:
1.) Three M60 7.62 mm medium machineguns, mounted in pods on either side of the fuselage, two on the left and one on the right. There is a mount for a fourth gun in the right hand pod, but it is currently empty.these weapons are fired by electrical actuators controlled from the cockpit,and fire simple and affordable conventional (S.D.C.) ammunition in large bursts.
Damage: 3D4 M.D. (1D4 M.D. per gun, 50 round bursts)
Range: 2000 feet (610 meters)
Rate of Fire: each three gun burst is one attack.
Payload: 1200 rounds (8 triple gun bursts, or 24 single gun bursts.)

2.) Dorsal M2 Browning .50 Caliber Heavy Machinegun, mounted on a partial turret ring (300 degree arc, cannot face forward.) and firing standard (S.D.C.) ammunition. This weapon is controlled directly by the back seat gunner, and requires him to stand partially exposed.
Damage: 1D6x10 S.D. per round, or 1D6x100 S.D.C. (1D6 M.D.) for a 50 round burst.
Range: 6000 feet (1828 meters)
Rate of Fire: Both single shot and bursts are one attack.
Payload: 12 bursts (600 rounds), fed by a disintergrating link belt.

3.) M134 Minigun 7.62mm Gatling Machinegun, pintle mounted at the rear of the fuselage with a gunners seat replacing one internal fuel tank. This gunner's position is very exposed to enemy fire, but allows the aircraft to cover its rear effectively. This gun fires conventional (S.D.C) ammunition in large bursts.
Damage: 2D4 M.D. per one hundred round burst
Range: 000 feet (610 meters)
Rate of Fire: Each burst is one attack.
Payload: 15 burst (1500 round) drum magazine connected by a linkless belt feed.

4.) Underwing hard points (2): Each wing has a single pylon which can be used to mount ordnance. originally intended for rocket pods or guided missiles, the current standard weapon mounted by the bandits are improvised bombs created from 55 gallon fuel drums filled with mega-damage dynamite with a simple impact fuse and various scrap to act as shrapnel. Very powerful despite their simple nature, these bombs are used to threaten villages and intimidate rival bandit groups. Due to the expense of the explosives in these bombs, the bandit group uses them carefully and judiciously.
Damage: 3D4x10 M.D. with a 60ft blast radius.
Range: effectively none, these are simple gravity bombs dropped from above.
Rate of Fire: One or both bombs can be dropped with a single attack.
Payload: Two drum bombs, one per wing.
Notes: these bombs are -4 to strike moving targets.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Widow
D-Bee

Unread post by Widow »

Glitterboy2098,

Loving the info, that video as well!

Had some things get me distracted, but hopefully tomorrow I will get back at it. Love your version as well! My document is a mess right now of info lol.

Side Note: Just in case. (sorry don't usually like to correct people) but from a creative standpoint in case it would affect your design process. The original concept of the original post is that this is the plane of the Freedom Fighters that fight the bandits. Sort of a Coalition wont do anything specific to help those who living in the Pecos Empire, so people have taken up arms to fight the Bandits. Meaning the ones who use the planes aren't the bandits. Normally I don't go to this effort to correct people, but this design is so cool and fun I wanted to mention it in case it changes the stats of your vision. If it wouldn't affect your design process then just ignore this side note lol. I'm loving this plane more and more. Hopefully the players will like it lol.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

given the name and paint scheme of it, you can't fault me for assuming it was a bandit craft.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Widow
D-Bee

Unread post by Widow »

Very true! lol. I only mentioned it because it might affect the creation process and of course with 2 people saying they were bandits it made me double check I had put the description in on the original post lol.
(3rd Sentence)

Had me guessing myself if I forgot LOL.
Blackwater Sniper
Explorer
Comment: The only bad character is the one you didn't put on paper.

Unread post by Blackwater Sniper »

You may also want to set severe penalties for gunners. Even with traverse limiters, the chance of hitting one of the tail booms is good when zeroing in on a target.

I'm guessing the plane got it's name "5F Death Punch" from the music group: "Five Finger Death Punch."
So what if I don’t know what apocalypse means? It’s not the end of the world!
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Having done a Paladin Steel Bronco, I can add that my own research has turned up some interesting variants....
One version stripped out the rear gun turret for a small passenger space for four paratroopers.
Another variant mounted a small jet engine atop the main body...this was used variously as an engine test stand and as a target tug.
There was also talk of a 'clipped wing' variant', a tilt-rotor VTOL version, and even a float-mounted version.

Though some people might disagree, a fun TW enhancement is to apply Spinning Blades to the props, so if you ever find yourself flying on the deck or through a swarm of opponents, having your props protected by a ring of floating, spinning, virtual steel, is MOST gratifying.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “Rifts®”