NG-EX 5 Behemoth Factory

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

NG-EX 5 Behemoth Factory

Unread post by keir451 »

Just trying to fill in the gaps as to what one of the NG Behemoth Explorer Mobile Factory (from Tolkeen war) might be able to produce. I know that twelve were enough to potentially turn the tide of the war with the CS, so what could you produce with just one?
I currently limit it to producing weapons and spare parts for the vehicles of a Merc Co. I'm designing, but I feel that it could produce more (given sufficient raw materials).
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
taalismn
Priest

Re: NG-EX 5 Behemoth Factory

Unread post by taalismn »

keir451 wrote:Just trying to fill in the gaps as to what one of the NG Behemoth Explorer Mobile Factory (from Tolkeen war) might be able to produce. I know that twelve were enough to potentially turn the tide of the war with the CS, so what could you produce with just one?
I currently limit it to producing weapons and spare parts for the vehicles of a Merc Co. I'm designing, but I feel that it could produce more (given sufficient raw materials).

Body armor should be fairly easy...maybe basic exoskeletons like the Chipwell powered armors. Rail gun ammo and e-clips for certain, mini-missiles possibly. Radios and field gear up to basic electronic sensors.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
keir451
Champion

Unread post by keir451 »

taalismn wrote:
keir451 wrote:Just trying to fill in the gaps as to what one of the NG Behemoth Explorer Mobile Factory (from Tolkeen war) might be able to produce. I know that twelve were enough to potentially turn the tide of the war with the CS, so what could you produce with just one?

Body armor should be fairly easy...maybe basic exoskeletons like the Chipwell powered armors. Rail gun ammo and e-clips for certain, mini-missiles possibly. Radios and field gear up to basic electronic sensors.

That's about what I was thinking, too. The one difference might be in the exoskeleton area, I might allow either CS CA-6EX or the NG Gladius as well. I've toyed with the idea of (providing the proper amount and type of materials are extant) a suit or two of Power Armor, but that would be the extreme. Or maybe the ability to run an existing suit of PA through for repairs or limited upgrades, like adding vibro claws to Sidewinder SAMAS or altering the design of a PA helmet to accommodate a non-humanoid head structure, i.e.: Wolfen or Dog Boy. None of the BIG robots and no vehicles.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Heavy ordnance as well...no medium or long range missiles. HOWEVER, prop-driven or turbofan drones might also be fabricated with the equipment on the NG-EX5.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

I rate factories(in my house) by the value of the output. Assuiming they use advanced tech to produce just about anything they are programed with advanced robot construction that can adapt to varring tasks or nano-bot 3d printing. The ones in sot could turn out titian robots to fill requests. The key would be how much they can produce. So if each factory had a production base market value of 25 million credits per week that means 12 would be able to produce 300 cr worth of robots. that would be over 12.5 titian combat robots per week, Or 300 flying titian PA or any combination of the two. Say 12 combat robots and 12 flying titian PA.

If you had blue prints for say iron hammer tanks. That would be 50 electric iron hammer main battle tanks, or 60 eclectic iron bolt missile vehicles. Give those to your TW core and a time to modify and you have a force that can possibly turn a battle.

The issue would be acquiring raw material. I go with raw material cost 10% of final production value. so to make 10 million on parts would require 1 million in raw goods.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
slade2501
Explorer
Comment: For the baddies I shoot, and their bodies I loot; Oh RNJesus, you I salute!

Unread post by slade2501 »

1. are you manufacturing parts or are you assembling a finished product, or is it a little of both? If your finished product is relatively small (such as an infantry weapon of one type, like a plasma canon) then you can probably both manufacture parts and assemble them into a finished functional weapon in one explorer robot gutted to the walls (removing the lab, sleeping quarters ans using the cargo bay) for factory space. Any significant amount of raw materials would have to be stored externally in a secondary vehicle or storage area.
Any larger item or Multiple Items, would require that the space be allotted to either parts manufacturing or assembly only. If you had a source of parts, assembly would be a snap. Or you could manufacture parts for secondary sale to other buyers.

The only advantage of using an Explorer bot, would be the mobility. It would be substantially cheaper and easier to build a factory complex, staff it and ship supplies in and out, if you had a defensible area with guards, walls, etc. The explorer bot has an advantage of being mobile, to avoid combat, demons, etc. But a 60 ft robot draws a lot of attention, its a HUGE target and slow compared to almost everything else. it would be easier to convert the explorer into a mobile mercenary repair shop, capable of repairing weapons of all shapes and sizes (from infantry to vehicle mounted), power armor repair or refit and robot vehicle repair as well (you could store folding modular work platforms for easy repair work).

I DO like the idea of Chipwell using one of these as a mobile assembly plant for the Warmonger tho......
keir451
Champion

Unread post by keir451 »

slade2501 wrote:1. are you manufacturing parts or are you assembling a finished product, or is it a little of both? If your finished product is relatively small (such as an infantry weapon of one type, like a plasma canon) then you can probably both manufacture parts and assemble them into a finished functional weapon in one explorer robot gutted to the walls (removing the lab, sleeping quarters ans using the cargo bay) for factory space. Any significant amount of raw materials would have to be stored externally in a secondary vehicle or storage area.
Any larger item or Multiple Items, would require that the space be allotted to either parts manufacturing or assembly only. If you had a source of parts, assembly would be a snap. Or you could manufacture parts for secondary sale to other buyers.

The only advantage of using an Explorer bot, would be the mobility. It would be substantially cheaper and easier to build a factory complex, staff it and ship supplies in and out, if you had a defensible area with guards, walls, etc. The explorer bot has an advantage of being mobile, to avoid combat, demons, etc. But a 60 ft robot draws a lot of attention, its a HUGE target and slow compared to almost everything else. it would be easier to convert the explorer into a mobile mercenary repair shop, capable of repairing weapons of all shapes and sizes (from infantry to vehicle mounted), power armor repair or refit and robot vehicle repair as well (you could store folding modular work platforms for easy repair work).

I DO like the idea of Chipwell using one of these as a mobile assembly plant for the Warmonger tho......

I'm using it to supplement a Merc company operating out of Colorado. They use the factory to mostly maintain their gear and provide ammo resupplies. On the odd occasion where they can garner enough raw materials I thought they could manufacture and sell a suit of Titan power armor on the Black Market for money or exchange it for a different suit of power armor. They use mostly old style CS gear along with a couple of rebuilt CS Mark V APCs.
I do like the idea of a mobile repair and refit shop, too, and could see them buying Chipwell suits and using the factory to upgrade them for themselves.
Blue_Lion
Knight

slade2501 wrote:1. are you manufacturing parts or are you assembling a finished product, or is it a little of both? If your finished product is relatively small (such as an infantry weapon of one type, like a plasma canon) then you can probably both manufacture parts and assemble them into a finished functional weapon in one explorer robot gutted to the walls (removing the lab, sleeping quarters ans using the cargo bay) for factory space. Any significant amount of raw materials would have to be stored externally in a secondary vehicle or storage area.

That is not the only advantage. While the explorer cost more than a factory, it saves on transport cost and reduces time it takes to get the product you need.

With mobile factory near by you can carry raw material instead of finshed parts. This means you are likly transporting less bulky raw goods. You fabricate the parts you need at the time you know you need them. Basically what you need can be made where and when you need it. No need to carry specific parts, and you can make the goods needed in a town and not guessing what they would want. Without it you could find yourself needing parts you do not have and having to wait until you can get one in a town. so it reduces the dependence on supply lines from NG, bandito, wilks or other manufacture.(odds are you can get raw goods closer to where you work.)

Another advantage is you can move the factory to a location of raw goods and produce goods there for sale to the locals that own the mine. A merc company could also use the factory to augment their income, using the factory to recycle battle field scrap and create the exact parts a local operator needs to fix things around town. Producing what you can sale right away.

There are several geniric suits of body armor and weapons that in theory they can be made by our company. The merc company could use them as the standard issue and produce them as needed. It would allow the company to produce its own goods without needing to devote manpower to guarding a home base factory and reduce the cost to outfit new recruits. It would be guarded by the same force that normally protects supply vehicles.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

if you are referring to the HLS on Pg 213 of SOT6, those were not Northern Gun products, but build by Titan Industries (aka ARCHIE3's public face)
this also means that the most probable items they'd be building are Titan Combat robots.

i suspect the confusion comes from the description. the mobile factory is broken up into twelve modules, each of which resembled a Behemoth explorer with tracks instead of arms and legs. each vehicle designed to produce specific parts and components. the convoy also had 144 cargo vehicles with raw materials to feed the factory. once it reached Tolkeen the vehicles would be converted into a factory, probably by the simply parking them next to a warehouse and assembling the robot parts they manufacture into final products.

individually each of the twelve modules probably can't produce much more than parts.. or perhaps rifles and basic body armor. but set one to making actuation, another to making armor in batches by shapes, another making the 'avionics' of the bot, another making missiles, etc.. and you can take all the pieces and assemble them. a turn-key, prefab factory complex.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
keir451
Champion

Unread post by keir451 »

glitterboy2098 wrote:

if you are referring to the HLS on Pg 213 of SOT6, those were not Northern Gun products, but build by Titan Industries (aka ARCHIE3's public face)
this also means that the most probable items they'd be building are Titan Combat robots.

i suspect the confusion comes from the description. the mobile factory is broken up into twelve modules, each of which resembled a Behemoth explorer with tracks instead of arms and legs. each vehicle designed to produce specific parts and components. the convoy also had 144 cargo vehicles with raw materials to feed the factory. once it reached Tolkeen the vehicles would be converted into a factory, probably by the simply parking them next to a warehouse and assembling the robot parts they manufacture into final products.

individually each of the twelve modules probably can't produce much more than parts.. or perhaps rifles and basic body armor. but set one to making actuation, another to making armor in batches by shapes, another making the 'avionics' of the bot, another making missiles, etc.. and you can take all the pieces and assemble them. a turn-key, prefab factory complex.

Yeah, I was referring to that adventure. I just assumed that Archie and Hagan had stripped out NG Explorers vs. building them from the ground up. In this scenario the other eleven factory units and the materials containers were destroyed and the Merc company could only get away with the one. I agree that what they could produce, would (and should) be fairly minimal, too much and they draw unwanted attention from the wrong people. Keeping on the move is a good idea too, as is producing limited parts for small towns or producing spare parts and things for themselves.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Given the 12 exploers are independant, it would appear logical that you could build anything the 12 could with just one of them, merely 1/12th as quickly. Presumably that would not be enough to turn the tide as the CS could destroy the robots faster than more could be built, but the entire shipment as a whole was supposed to produce enough robots to hold the line if backed up by Tolkeens other magical resources.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Blue_Lion
Knight

Nekira Sudacne wrote:

Given the 12 exploers are independant, it would appear logical that you could build anything the 12 could with just one of them, merely 1/12th as quickly. Presumably that would not be enough to turn the tide as the CS could destroy the robots faster than more could be built, but the entire shipment as a whole was supposed to produce enough robots to hold the line if backed up by Tolkeens other magical resources.

Given the large number of TWs Tolkeen had those robots would be able to highly augment anything they bought. I would agree by themselves they would not turn the tide but when you add in the other forces they could turn the tide of the battle.

Return to “Rifts®”