Coalition taking control of Quebec

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

Coalition taking control of Quebec

Unread post by Axelmania »

3 days ago the "Coalition Avenir Québec" founded in 2011 just won the majority of seats in Assemblée nationale du Québec and are basically taking control of the province. Their leader Francois Legault is the new Premier. They're the first party other than PQ or Liberal to lead in ~50 years. This naturally got me thinking about Free Quebec and the resolution of the conflicts with the CS during the Coalition Wars and ultimately becoming allies again, albeit in a more separate case.

I'm sure Prosek would like to have FQ back under his authority once more. What sort of steps do you think he would take to accomplish that? Perhaps try to have agents destabilize it, or be slow to help, or draw more enemies to attack them, so that they will yearn for CS protectorate status again?
SolCannibal
Champion

Re: Coalition taking control of Quebec

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Well, way i see it, the main problems with Free Quebec seem to be the presence of a major local leader that has always looked at crosspurposes in relation to Carl Prosek (and might in fact be a longstanding rival for overall Coalition leadership) and their insistent refusal to standardize their millitary industry along the Coalition's lines, their preservation and production of Glitterboys being the most in-the-nose manifestation of this.

So i guess any effort to eventually reabsorb New Quebec into the Coallition would first deal with messing those two subjects, possibly creating problems related to the Glitterboys that put Free Quebec's current ruler in an unflattering light and make him less popular with his own.

One weird/sneaky/ironic option could be to lead Free Quebec into a expansionist campaign through Canada that might deplete and tax their resources in mid to long term, making it possible for, in the right time, the Coalition to reassert itself upon a tired and overstretched Free Quebec and any conquests they made along the way, a "soft conquest" where the Coalition simply stops an expended Free Quebec from crashing and helps by joining in to share the burden. Such a nice bro thing to do... :wink:

That said, the Coalition might have internal priorities of its own to deal with, like a large mass of possibly disgruntled grunts resulting from the mass recruitment and atrocities of the late Tolkeen War (not to mention their families), ongoing tension from dealing with the many revenge squads, now also having to patrol parts of the territory previously occupied by the defeated kingdom and the potential for New Kenora not to accept occcupation as placidly as Chi-Town expects and to turn into their version of the Troubles' in Northern Ireland.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Don't forget that FQ is even 'more' human supremacist than the CS at large. They wouldn't even allow psistalkers or dog boys. And everyone (Else) in the CS looooooooooooooooove Dog boys. FQ is often painted as "CS Lite" But in fact they're even 'More CS than the CS". It's something that's usually glossed over because they don't have skulls on their armor, but that was a sticking point as well. FQ was 'more' extremist than the CS majority.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
SolCannibal
Champion

Pepsi Jedi wrote:Don't forget that FQ is even 'more' human supremacist than the CS at large. They wouldn't even allow psistalkers or dog boys. And everyone (Else) in the CS looooooooooooooooove Dog boys. FQ is often painted as "CS Lite" But in fact they're even 'More CS than the CS". It's something that's usually glossed over because they don't have skulls on their armor, but that was a sticking point as well. FQ was 'more' extremist than the CS majority.

Never really delved into this part, but for me it was a little dubious if their distaste with Dog Boys was a matter of humancentrist sensibilities or a distaste for the moral slippery slope in making a genetically enginered servitor race (with bits of human DNA mixed in, by the way).

And about the Psi-stalkers, don't they have occasional deals or mutual help treaties with a number of wild tribes, segregating as mutants but still working with them from time to time? Think i saw something along those lines somewhere, though i'll be the first to admit i might be wrong and mixing my own imagination with canon.

But yeah, Free Quebec is far from being "Coalition nice" as some part of the fanbase likes to imagine due to their political/nationalistic differences.

Indeed, Lone Star might be the closest to an "enlightened/near equalitarian CS State" we may find in canon, weird as it may sound.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:Don't forget that FQ is even 'more' human supremacist than the CS at large. They wouldn't even allow psistalkers or dog boys. And everyone (Else) in the CS looooooooooooooooove Dog boys. FQ is often painted as "CS Lite" But in fact they're even 'More CS than the CS". It's something that's usually glossed over because they don't have skulls on their armor, but that was a sticking point as well. FQ was 'more' extremist than the CS majority.

in many other ways, they *are* CS lite. their expansionist policies seem to be largely nonexistent. they don't seem to care if there are monsters or psychics or magic "out there somewhere", so long as they aren't in free quebec.

which probably caused some increased tensions too, while we're at it. if you don't care about taking back the entire world for humanity, you're probably not going to be thrilled with sending your children to fight in a completely unnecessary war with a neighbour that was more than happy to ignore you.

then you've got their stance on literacy and education; so far as i can tell, FQ seems to have absolutely no problem with either of those things.

likewise, they don't seem to particular care about keeping their tech secrets as super-duper-mega-ultra-top-secret. people have been using glitter boys all across the continent for decades, and FQ made no pretense to being the sole owners of that tech. they even sell glitter boy parts on the black market (as part of their intelligence gathering operations).

so yeah, they may be even more hardcore human supremacists than the CS in some ways... but seeing as how their version of human supremacy is "not in my backyard" rather than "i am going to launch campaign after campaign to exterminate everything i don't like", i'd say in many ways it is *less* hardcore as well.

(this is not the same thing as saying they're good people... last i recall, if you display psionics when you become a teenager, they exile you for example, which isn't exactly saintly behaviour... but at least they won't send assassins to kill you in the event that you manage to reach adulthood and dare to disagree with them, so long as you do it someplace else)
SolCannibal
Champion

The matter of Free Quebec being less expansionist than the CS is actually hard to judge fairly considering that until recently it was a part of the CS and its policies, with dealing with military backlashes of the Secession being its number one starting priority. Now that the issue has been (officially) closed and Free Quebec recognized as a independent nation, i guess it's a matter of wait and see if the image really pans out without the Skull Boys to play bad cop for them anymore.
Axelmania
Knight

I've been wondering if ARCHIE could play a role in a CS push to ban Glitter Boys, or take control of them, at least. We know that he runs Titan Robotics and puts surveillance software in them, and downloads the recordings (no max size/duration given) whenever they're brought in for free repairs. We know he produces Glitter Boys... so what if he starts offering free repairs for GBs and starts putting surveillance software in them too? Even if it only happens to 1% of them, if discovered it could be a great grounds for CS trying to assert control over them.
SolCannibal
Champion

Axelmania wrote:I've been wondering if ARCHIE could play a role in a CS push to ban Glitter Boys, or take control of them, at least. We know that he runs Titan Robotics and puts surveillance software in them, and downloads the recordings (no max size/duration given) whenever they're brought in for free repairs. We know he produces Glitter Boys... so what if he starts offering free repairs for GBs and starts putting surveillance software in them too? Even if it only happens to 1% of them, if discovered it could be a great grounds for CS trying to assert control over them.

ARCHIE produces Glitter Boys?!?!! That is actually quite the news for me, not wholly surprising in account of Shemarian weaponry, but had no idea the tin can was actually producing them now. Where does it come up?

As an aside, offering Glitter Boy repair services - specially for free - could backfire terribly, by calling undue attention from CS & Quebecois intelligences to Titan Robotics and its know-how of a major remnant of Golden Age technology that Free Quebec has been the major proprietor of in the Americas so far. Something the CS has never been approving of and would prefer abandoned, to boot.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

SolCannibal wrote:
Axelmania wrote:I've been wondering if ARCHIE could play a role in a CS push to ban Glitter Boys, or take control of them, at least. We know that he runs Titan Robotics and puts surveillance software in them, and downloads the recordings (no max size/duration given) whenever they're brought in for free repairs. We know he produces Glitter Boys... so what if he starts offering free repairs for GBs and starts putting surveillance software in them too? Even if it only happens to 1% of them, if discovered it could be a great grounds for CS trying to assert control over them.

ARCHIE produces Glitter Boys?!?!! That is actually quite the news for me, not wholly surprising in account of Shemarian weaponry, but had no idea the tin can was actually producing them now. Where does it come up?.

Sourcebook One: Revised, pg.127---"Archie enjoys 'seeding' the area with caches of Glitter Boys he creates and leaves for heroes and adventurers to discover and use as they see fit"
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

He's not all bad.

Look at that public outreach.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:He's not all bad.

Look at that public outreach.

A3 for President. A Gliitterboy in every garage(of course, it's going to be spying on you, but hey, SECURITY).
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

SolCannibal wrote:

ARCHIE produces Glitter Boys?!?!! That is actually quite the news for me, not wholly surprising in account of Shemarian weaponry, but had no idea the tin can was actually producing them now. Where does it come up?

As an aside, offering Glitter Boy repair services - specially for free - could backfire terribly, by calling undue attention from CS & Quebecois intelligences to Titan Robotics and its know-how of a major remnant of Golden Age technology that Free Quebec has been the major proprietor of in the Americas so far. Something the CS has never been approving of and would prefer abandoned, to boot.

The citation already came up (and im almost 100% sure it was in the non-revised SB1 as well, or perhaps in Mechanoids or Aftermath), but he's been doing it since the Dark Ages started. He's one of the only reasons there are still GBs out there at all.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
SolCannibal
Champion

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:

The citation already came up (and im almost 100% sure it was in the non-revised SB1 as well, or perhaps in Mechanoids or Aftermath), but he's been doing it since the Dark Ages started. He's one of the only reasons there are still GBs out there at all.

Yes, Glitterboys peppered in many places while disguised as lost caches recovered is a great idea and works far better than offering repair services that might make Free Quebec or Chi-Town curious. Thanx.

That said, it can also mean Archie is already surveiling a not insignificant chunk of adventuring Glitter Boys across the Americas and has been doing so already for decades or centuries...a pretty scary thought, in a kafkian/orwellian way.
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

90% of the time, this is correct... one thing they dont seem to care about though is D-bees on their borders and passive/peacable D-bees in their "claimed" but not settled territory. (FQ WB). Their patrols will usually just leave peaceable/farming/human-like D-bee communities alone (basically ignoring them), whereas the CS would have killed them all or run them off on principle.

Thats about the only exception though.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
SolCannibal
Champion

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:

90% of the time, this is correct... one thing they dont seem to care about though is D-bees on their borders and passive/peacable D-bees in their "claimed" but not settled territory. (FQ WB). Their patrols will usually just leave peaceable/farming/human-like D-bee communities alone (basically ignoring them), whereas the CS would have killed them all or run them off on principle.

The CS is accepting (to a certain degree) of human mutants as (2nd class) citizens and the idea of mutant animal humanoids as a servant/trooper race of sorts, neither of which FQ's policy-makers (at least) seem appreciative of. From their view mutants are either not human anymore or an unfamiliar and unpredictable issue, to be kept at arm's length and apart from mainstream human gene pool.

That said Free Quebec seems to be less agressive in dealing with non-threatening DBee and others in their territory than other CS states. Apparently at least, how much of that was just playing good cop while letting the CS do dirty work for them, well let's say it's open to interpretation.

Overall, i would say it's a bit thorny to pigeonhole the difference in the two groups terms of more or less tolerant.
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

SolCannibal wrote:
Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:

The CS is accepting (to a certain degree) of human mutants as (2nd class) citizens and the idea of mutant animal humanoids as a servant/trooper race of sorts, neither of which FQ's policy-makers (at least) seem appreciative of. From their view mutants are either not human anymore or an unfamiliar and unpredictable issue, to be kept at arm's length and apart from mainstream human gene pool.

That said Free Quebec seems to be less agressive in dealing with non-threatening DBee and others in their territory than other CS states. Apparently at least, how much of that was just playing good cop while letting the CS do dirty work for them, well let's say it's open to interpretation.

Overall, i would say it's a bit thorny to pigeonhole the difference in the two groups terms of more or less tolerant.

I was just pointing out what is noted in the WB Canada and WB FQ.

They dont accept Dbees or Human Mutants in society at all. Hell, even psychics are shown the door (here's some money to re-settle, get out). Just that for whatever reason, they seem to not care about (peaceful/non supernatural/humanoid) D-bee settlements inside their territory that is claimed but not settled. Its actually sorta weird, because you think theyd be more torch-and-burn than the regular CS.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Well by and large the CS Don't care about them in their territory either, unless they're some where the CS wants to be.

Just look at the burbs. It's a hotbed of Dbees and what not but they're allowed to exist right out side the fortress cities.

The CS have a sort of "Out of sight out of mind" thing going on.

SolCannibal
Champion

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:
Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:

I was just pointing out what is noted in the WB Canada and WB FQ.

They dont accept Dbees or Human Mutants in society at all. Hell, even psychics are shown the door (here's some money to re-settle, get out). Just that for whatever reason, they seem to not care about (peaceful/non supernatural/humanoid) D-bee settlements inside their territory that is claimed but not settled. Its actually sorta weird, because you think theyd be more torch-and-burn than the regular CS.

Different agendas and priorities i would guess - they do not acccept those groups as part of their society for matters of security, order and/or health, depending on how one interprets it, but that doesn't exactly have to mean inimical. Picking one's fights and managing resources is part of the battle for survival. Mutant and DBbee communities might be tolerated as long as they do not represent a threat to quebecois settlements or strategic resources and in fact their presence in less settled areas might even serve as a warning system of sorts of when actual threats do rear their heads in those areas. Canaries in coal mines so apeak, that if proven useful and trustworthy might get a "treatment upgrade" as foreign allied groups, kind of like some wild psi-stalker tribes.

So one might say they Free Quebec while more hardcore about their human purity views is less agressive and more polite about it, what i guess can be seen as hilariously canadian in hindsight.

Pepsi Jedi wrote:Well by and large the CS Don't care about them in their territory either, unless they're some where the CS wants to be.

Just look at the burbs. It's a hotbed of Dbees and what not but they're allowed to exist right out side the fortress cities.

The CS have a sort of "Out of sight out of mind" thing going on.

Yes and no, let's be honest here, "shoot on sight" is a far from uncommon policy and the grunts will from time to time raze whole districts of 'Burbs when they feel a pressure or urge to and what "tolerance" there is owes far more to general corruption, grift and Black Market credits changing hands as anything.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

SolCannibal wrote:
Yes and no, let's be honest here, "shoot on sight" is a far from uncommon policy and the grunts will from time to time raze whole districts of 'Burbs when they feel a pressure or urge to and what "tolerance" there is owes far more to general corruption, grift and Black Market credits changing hands as anything.

That's the thing. The "Shoot on sight" thing isn't in the books. Out side of war's/war zones there's nothing to indicate the CS do that. It's a fabrication of players.

And they do raze districts of the burbs from time to time. But the other times they patrol them, and see Dbees every day. If it was a shoot on sight thing the burbs just wouldn't exist and sweeping patrols would be slaughtering Dbees in the streets day in and day out. That's not how they're presented.

When the CS come down the street the Dbees kinda pull a fade, sort of like gang members in South Central yelling "FIVE OH!" But the CS don't run up and start blowing off heads.

Axelmania
Knight

If ARCHIE is surveilling your Glitter Boy, it is simply for the protection of all. After all, there's nothing really stopping a Possessing Entity from hopping into a GB pilot and boomgunning the nearest town. Perhaps if ARCHIE was able to remotely control Glitter Boys in situations like that, bypassing pilot control in such circumstances, humanity would be safer.

Aside from FQ being more human supremist in the sense of hating Dog Boys (I think they still use Psi-Stalkers though? or am I wrong?) does anyone recall where it talks about D-Bees getting it harsher?
Shark_Force
Palladin

Axelmania wrote:If ARCHIE is surveilling your Glitter Boy, it is simply for the protection of all. After all, there's nothing really stopping a Possessing Entity from hopping into a GB pilot and boomgunning the nearest town. Perhaps if ARCHIE was able to remotely control Glitter Boys in situations like that, bypassing pilot control in such circumstances, humanity would be safer.

Aside from FQ being more human supremist in the sense of hating Dog Boys (I think they still use Psi-Stalkers though? or am I wrong?) does anyone recall where it talks about D-Bees getting it harsher?

FQ does not use dog boys or psi-stalkers. or any psychics of any kind, for that matter, iirc including minor and major psychic humans. and i don't remember any "here's some re-settlement money" deal either, i could've swore they just told you to get out as soon as you display psionic abilities, even if you're not an adult yet.

of course, that also means they lack the ability to reliably detect psychics that are otherwise 100% human in appearance, so it wouldn't surprise me too much if they had at least a few psychics in their cities (who, of course, hide the fact that they're psychic).

as to why they aren't as aggressive and murder-y, that might be related to their lack of psi-stalkers and dog boys too... i mean, that's basically the primary tool you have available for tracking down users of magic and psionics... so if you're going to not have access to those things, it might be a good idea to not pick fights with every mage and psychic within arm's reach.
SolCannibal
Champion

Pepsi Jedi wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:

That's the thing. The "Shoot on sight" thing isn't in the books. Out side of war's/war zones there's nothing to indicate the CS do that. It's a fabrication of players.

"Far from uncommon" is not the same "always shooting". Agreed, the CS grunts and dog packs are not dungeon orcs with jetpacks & lasers that always attack, never retreat, never negotiate or look the other way.

On the matter of "fabrication of players", i'm kind of divided, as it might be said the 'burbs become something of a different animal on the level of weird stuff that gets by amidst the alleyways since D-bees of North America came out, so a bit of evolving canon could be involved in the dissonance.

Pepsi Jedi wrote:And they do raze districts of the burbs from time to time. But the other times they patrol them, and see Dbees every day. If it was a shoot on sight thing the burbs just wouldn't exist and sweeping patrols would be slaughtering Dbees in the streets day in and day out. That's not how they're presented.

When the CS come down the street the Dbees kinda pull a fade, sort of like gang members in South Central yelling "FIVE OH!" But the CS don't run up and start blowing off heads.

Except it's not an "once in a decade/generation" event, it's not a scandalous incident the powers that be or moral majority would classify as "gross abuse or miscarriage of authority" and look at with shock and disgust.

Yes, the CS plays cop in the 'burbs, but can go from "two dudes in patrol" to "twenty in armored vehicles trampling and burning everything in a riot of destruction and violence" to shame our world's most jackbooted police services at the drop of a hat, if given the right/wrong stimulus. While it's not a 24/7 thing, the CS troops pay at least lip service to the idea of "sanitizing the burbs". That's where the South Central simile kind of falls apart.

True, it's not a every day thing - Dbees, psychic and magicians wouldn't even try to hide in the 'Burbs if it were so - but it is a looming and ever present shadow. Will a PCs party's shenanigans be the ones that bring the skullboys a-crashing upon a district? Or will their actions stop something from starting such a kind of disastrous ruckus for the locals?

What "tolerance" has more to do with pratical limitations of maintaning such a policy 24/7 would have - in recruitng services from the 'burbs and possibly overworking one's own troops - and the self-interest of those among them that make deals with a variety of proscribed groups than some form of acceptance or "fair play" toward the mutant, human or supernatural.

That said, people can be complex and one may have individual stealth idealists among the "civil administration", dog packs or even CS chain of command, people who fake following party line while twisting the rules toward getting some little help to outsiders, the hypocritical who believe rules don't apply to them if nobody is looking and the contradictory ones with a interest or fetish for something they claim to reject. It's one of the bits that can make things unpredictable and interesting in 'burb-based urban games, i guess.
DD The Shmey
Explorer

Unread post by DD The Shmey »

Going back to the original question.

Axelmania wrote: ... got me thinking about Free Quebec and the resolution of the conflicts with the CS during the Coalition Wars and ultimately becoming allies again, albeit in a more separate case.

I'm sure Prosek would like to have FQ back under his authority once more. What sort of steps do you think he would take to accomplish that? Perhaps try to have agents destabilize it, or be slow to help, or draw more enemies to attack them, so that they will yearn for CS protectorate status again?

I agree that the CS High Command and Prosek would like to have FQ back in the CS, but I am not sure what they can do that wouldn't jeopardize the peace/new alliance between the two nations. I'm certain that neither the CS or Free Quebec want to fight eachother, Coalition Wars Aftermath did a good job of explaining their new post war relationship. If there was going to be an open conflict and military engagements between the two nations, it would have happened.

With the acceptance of FQ's withdrawal, Chitowns vision of a unified human north american empire has been shattered for the foreseeable future. Without this unified stance and voice, sentiments like "You've got to be with us, and accept everything that we say, because we are the only ones out there fighting for humanity." become much less potent when someone has another option. People can respond to different policies with "Well in Free Quebec, they let people learn how to read" and other things like that. I believe that this concern, and a feeling of betrayal from FQ is what drove them to the brink of war. For the CS, I believe the calculus on what to do with FQ will be determined by how much of an ideological threat FQ's continuing independence poses to their plans vs how much benefit do they get from having an allied friendly nation nearby and the risk of losing their support and turning them into a foe.

I also believe that Free Quebec leadership are smart enough to recognize this concern from the CS, and will do everything that they can not to step on Chi Town's toes and exacerbate tensions. To this end Quebec is likely to turn down any political refugees seeking asylum from the CS. Likewise they will try to avoid publicizing any atrocities or military failures by the CS during their next campaigns. In this way Free Quebec's more isolationist and less expansionist tendencies will be an asset to their relationship with the CS.

I imagine that over time the recent tensions over Free Quebec's withdrawal from the Coalition will lessen and their relationship will normalize. That's not to say that their wont be disputes, and new sources of tensions. I can't imagine that the CS will be very good at respecting another nations sovereignty, especially as their expansion plan brings them through the Lazlos and closer to FQ doorstep.
SolCannibal
Champion

Just to try and get the memory flowing, what books beside Canada give us noteworthy info on Free Quebec?
Last edited by SolCannibal on Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

SolCannibal wrote:Jusst to try and get the memory flowing, what books beside Canada give us noteworthy info on Free Quebec?

RMB, RUE, WB5 (trade agrement), WB20 (not so much FQ or Lazlo but certainly helps w/neighbors), WB22 (FQ proper), maybe even SB4 (FQ was the driver behind CS Navy), maybe SoT (one details a Tolkeen/FQ alliance op that feel apart IIRC), maybe Aftermath (don't have that book), WB17/SW maybe (neighbors), SB1/ShemNation (Archie/Republicans)
DD The Shmey
Explorer

Unread post by DD The Shmey »

SolCannibal wrote:Jusst to try and get the memory flowing, what books beside Canada give us noteworthy info on Free Quebec?

Let me look through my books here.
Obviously the entire WB22 Free Quebec book talks about Free Quebec. The early sections of the book, starting on page 7 talk about the background of what lead to the conflict and Quebec's withdrawal from the CS, Page 171 onwards also talks more about the fluff around the conflict between CS and FQ.

The original core rule book and RUE both have sections that go over the current state of the world and mention Free Quebec.

Like you said, Rifts Canada talks about FQ

WB10 Juicer Uprising talks about Juicers in Quebec on page42

Sourcebook 4 Coalition Navy talks a lot about Quebec in its description of the formation of the navy, (and WB22 on page 128 talks about which CS assets from coalition navy book they have)

WB11 Coalition war campaign says some about "Rebellious Quebec" on page 11, and probably some more can be found mixed elsewhere.

Shemarrian Nation talks a bit about Free Quebec, but most of that is about peoples views of the Shemarrian.

WB5 Triax and the NGR talk about trade between FQ and the NGR and the technology trade with the glitter boy secrets being passed onto Triax.

The new rifts sourcebook 1 revised and expanded talks about the republicans helping give glitterboys to free quebec.

I remember some talk about free quebec in the WB23 Xiticix invasion.

and ofcourse there was a lot of information in the Coalition wars books. In Aftermath they explained how FQ helped the CS in their time of need.

That's everything I can think off looking through my stuff.
SolCannibal
Champion

Thanks for the lists people - and i'm quite amazed at the fact i managed somehow to utterly forget WB22, even though i own a copy of the damn book myself... I'm gonna blame the flu for that. :-X

Oh yes, Coalition Navy does bring a lot of questions to mind - how will its resources, bases and personnel get divided between the two nations and how things might change in the Great Lakes and parts of the Atlantic Coast as each nation reasserts their priorities and allocates those same (divided) resources & personnel, among other things.

On a little aside, i thought it might be worth mentioning that, when one takes in account the physical and human resources spent in the war with Tolkeen, dealing with remaining guerilla groups of that nation, revenge/terror squads infiltrating the 'burbs, the occupation of New Kenora, and other issues potentially stretching it thin, the CS at present might far more open to internal sabotage by FQ than vice-versa.
Shark_Force
Palladin

iirc, the blue water navy went mostly to quebec, the brown water navy went mostly to the CS. though of course, there will be exceptions.
SolCannibal
Champion

Shark_Force wrote:iirc, the blue water navy went mostly to quebec, the brown water navy went mostly to the CS. though of course, there will be exceptions.

What creates a slightly convenient arrangement for Chi-Town, that can focus in mostly local or neighboring affairs, while FQ might take the greater part of efforts to deal with Splugorth & Horune bands, not to mention the Black Fleet or other threats wandering the Atlantic and more.
Axelmania
Knight

Shark_Force wrote:FQ does not use dog boys or psi-stalkers. or any psychics of any kind, for that matter, iirc including minor and major psychic humans.

Which book/page first revealed this?
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Wasn't that from the main book?

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
SolCannibal
Champion

Daniel Stoker wrote:Wasn't that from the main book?

Do you mean by that RMB, RUE or perhaps the Free Quebec worldbook? Just checking.
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Pulled out my books and RMB says on page 150 that FQ view Dog Boys as an abomination and refuse to have anything to do with them while RUE doesn't mention anything in the world section. I'll have to dig out my Free Quebec book next to see what it says I guess.

[edit]Nevermind, on page 35 in Free Quebec they say, "In Free Quebec, psychics are regarded as second class citizens who are catalogued, undergo IC registration and branding, and are watched with more than a little bit of apprehension. They are seldom given positions with the military or law enforcement, and are usually stuck with the lease desirable areas of employment - and few (if any) utilize their unique abilities." so their may in fact be SOME psi-stalkers in their military but I'd still say no dog boys.

Daniel Stoker
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Few psi-stalkers, if any, and no doggos.

I think FQ is ripe for takeover by some ambitious PC's with nifty powers.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
SolCannibal
Champion

Alrik Vas wrote:Few psi-stalkers, if any, and no doggos.

Maybe, maybe not, depends on what they have under the table and not admiting to.
But yeah, pretty sizable blindspot right there up and front.
Shark_Force
Palladin

SolCannibal wrote:

Maybe, maybe not, depends on what they have under the table and not admiting to.

or maybe a handful of people aren't enough to realistically take over free quebec regardless, and all of the big groups are focused on the CS because free quebec isn't out to hunt them down, murder them, take their lands, then murder all their family and friends for associating with them, then use those lands to hunt down and murder their neighbours.

would there be some small groups interested in taking over free quebec? sure, they've got a powerful tech base, perhaps not quite as strong overall as the CS, but still, they can manufacture glitter boys which are frankly better than most of the more high-tech oriented groups you see across the megaverse. they're not exactly a total pushover though, which means they're basically beyond what a small group can hope to conquer.
SolCannibal
Champion

Shark_Force wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:

or maybe a handful of people aren't enough to realistically take over free quebec regardless, and all of the big groups are focused on the CS because free quebec isn't out to hunt them down, murder them, take their lands, then murder all their family and friends for associating with them, then use those lands to hunt down and murder their neighbours.

PCs can have allies, followers and co-conspirators of their own (like those aforementioned 2nd class psychic citizens FQ makes little to no use of, for example), and well, it's not like "we have numbers" is always an effective solution to a major hole/blindspot in one's defenses (my actual point), but ok. The matter of priorities is a very valid one - some groups that could see FQ as a potential target might have homeland, families, friends and other ties of their own to defend from CS (or anyone else's) agression. From that point of view even discreetly supporting FQ, while keeping its relation with Chi-Town as acrimonious as possible, can be very interesting as a secret policy and source of intrigue to involve PCs into.

Shark_Force wrote:would there be some small groups interested in taking over free quebec? sure, they've got a powerful tech base, perhaps not quite as strong overall as the CS, but still, they can manufacture glitter boys which are frankly better than most of the more high-tech oriented groups you see across the megaverse. they're not exactly a total pushover though, which means they're basically beyond what a small group can hope to conquer.

That's where the mercenary company/organization-making tables and some roleplaying can come in handy, i guess. :wink:

Little unrelated aside: how would a tech-oriented society that avoids magic but does accept psychics to a certain degree might or not differentiate Mystics from them, how dependent would that be or not in access to Psi-Stalkers &/or Dog-boys? Having some weird ideas about minor groups that end up in weird spots of the spectrum due to particular mixes of beliefs x resources (or lack of).
Axelmania
Knight

Daniel Stoker wrote:Pulled out my books and RMB says on page 150 that FQ view Dog Boys as an abomination and refuse to have anything to do with them

Do any later books written from a universe-narration standpoint confirm the testimony of that heretic Tarn? Perhaps SB1 or CWC? "Traversing" is only canon in respect to it being canonically what Tarn wrote in some letter, not that any particular part of it must be true.
Daniel Stoker
Knight

No, no later books contradict it and cause I'm me, World Book 22 Free Quebec says on page 21, "Free Quebec's refusal to use Dog Boys was also a matter of hot contention. The Quebecois would have no part of the mutants whatsoever."

Daniel Stoker
SolCannibal
Champion

One thing that crossed my mind of late is that, while i brought up the possibility of groups such as Free Quebec's psychic population as potential allies, followers or informants for enterprising PC groups with political designs on the state, the same might be said about Chi-Town and CS Intelligence itself, that is far from having the same qualms about the use of psychics as resources or operatives.
Axelmania
Knight

Daniel Stoker wrote:No, no later books contradict it and cause I'm me, World Book 22 Free Quebec says on page 21, "Free Quebec's refusal to use Dog Boys was also a matter of hot contention. The Quebecois would have no part of the mutants whatsoever."

"have no part of" is close enough to "refusal to use", but doesn't affirm "abomination", so maybe it is because FQ loves dogs more than the rest of the CS and don't want to mutate them or use them as soldiers.

They might well utilize non-mutant dogs though, who can also sense the supernatural. Anything about psi-stalkers?
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

Axelmania wrote:
Daniel Stoker wrote:No, no later books contradict it and cause I'm me, World Book 22 Free Quebec says on page 21, "Free Quebec's refusal to use Dog Boys was also a matter of hot contention. The Quebecois would have no part of the mutants whatsoever."

"have no part of" is close enough to "refusal to use", but doesn't affirm "abomination", so maybe it is because FQ loves dogs more than the rest of the CS and don't want to mutate them or use them as soldiers.

They might well utilize non-mutant dogs though, who can also sense the supernatural. Anything about psi-stalkers?

P. 23 "While part of the Coalition States, Free Quebec had been the model Coalition Army. If not for the notable inclusion of the Glitter Boys and the absence of Dog Packs, Psi-Stalkers and psychics, the Quebec Military could not have been distinguished from that of Chi-Town or any other Coalition State."

P. 33 "Avoid Psi-Stalkers. Most of the mutant humans known as Psi-Stalkers are found west and south of Free Quebec. While Chi-Town and the Coalition States include them among their citizens and military personnel, Free Quebec simply "tolerates" their modest presence. This means Psi-Stalkers are not openly persecuted or hounded, but they are not accepted into human society either. There are no Psi-Stalkers within the Quebec Military, Law Enforcement or citizenry."

P. 33 also affirms that Free Quebec sees Dog Boys and all other CS genetically engineered animals as "unholy abominations."
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
Axelmania
Knight

Okay, so the FQ WB 22 clarifies that the FQ army does not use psychics.

(not sure why they even bother to specify psi-stalkers and dog boys, they would be included!)

Nothing non-Tarn about that in prior books though?

I suppose that means there might be non-military psychics and psi-stalkers who cooperate with the QM but are not official members??

Page 33 clarifies that further. STalkers not citizens... not accepted into "society", but a "modest presence" is tolerated, they aren't hounded, so they could still be lurking in forests around towns providing a barrier of warnings against invaders.

Page 33 doesn't specify non-Stalker psychics so they could probably still be citizens and part of non-military law enforcement.

UNHOLY is interesting, we rarely get much about religious views of the CS
dreicunan
Hero

Read on to pages 35-36, and they address psychics directly:
They are seldom given positions with the military or law enforcement, and are usually stuck with the least desirable areas of employment — and few (if any) that utilize their unique abilities.

They can be citizens, but are encouraged to not be:

Most ordinary humans regard psychics as mutants — aberrations who are less than human. Most will not date or even associate with psychics let alone marry one (and those who do marry a psychic are treated like lepers for tainting pure human genes). Most psychics live in ghettos among other psionic people and lowlifes.

{snip}

In something of a humanitarian gesture, the government of Free Quebec will help subsidize "relocation ventures" for psychics. This is a program by which the psychic permanently relinquishes his citizenship and leaves the nation entirely. Whether he or she goes to one of the Coalition States or wherever, the government does not care. Upon military escort beyond Quebec's borders, each psychic
(they are typically released in small groups) is given 30,000 credits and a simple hover vehicle (typically a hovercycle for an individual or truck for a family). The psychic is also allowed to bring whatever possessions and additional credits earned and saved legally as he desires.

It is difficult to see Free Quebec having enough psychics around to provide any kind of meaningful defense against psionic (or magical) influence. Free Quebec likely relies on the CS Psi-Scanner to try and figure out if you are psychic (and would likely be very willing to spend on the SNARL system if they ever find out about it).
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
SolCannibal
Champion

dreicunan wrote:Read on to pages 35-36, and they address psychics directly:
They are seldom given positions with the military or law enforcement, and are usually stuck with the least desirable areas of employment — and few (if any) that utilize their unique abilities.

Most ordinary humans regard psychics as mutants — aberrations who are less than human. Most will not date or even associate with psychics let alone marry one (and those who do marry a psychic are treated like lepers for tainting pure human genes). Most psychics live in ghettos among other psionic people and lowlifes.

{snip}

In something of a humanitarian gesture, the government of Free Quebec will help subsidize "relocation ventures" for psychics. This is a program by which the psychic permanently relinquishes his citizenship and leaves the nation entirely. Whether he or she goes to one of the Coalition States or wherever, the government does not care. Upon military escort beyond Quebec's borders, each psychic
(they are typically released in small groups) is given 30,000 credits and a simple hover vehicle (typically a hovercycle for an individual or truck for a family). The psychic is also allowed to bring whatever possessions and additional credits earned and saved legally as he desires.

It is difficult to see Free Quebec having enough psychics around to provide any kind of meaningful defense against psionic (or magical) influence. Free Quebec likely relies on the CS Psi-Scanner to try and figure out if you are psychic (and would likely be very willing to spend on the SNARL system if they ever find out about it).

Wouldn't put it beyond them to have secret resources and projects dedicated to perfecting the Psi-Scanner or spying/stealing related tech from either the CS or other states & organizations that might possess such sort of tech. Not to mention studies on actual canids to attempt to get through them similar tracking/detection capacities to those provided by Dog Boys to the CS.
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

SolCannibal wrote:

{snip}

Wouldn't put it beyond them to have secret resources and projects dedicated to perfecting the Psi-Scanner or spying/stealing related tech from either the CS or other states & organizations that might possess such sort of tech. Not to mention studies on actual canids to attempt to get through them similar tracking/detection capacities to those provided by Dog Boys to the CS.

you know it might be that FQ's big issue with the dogboys is the fact that they feel that the coalition went too far in making them too humanlike. I know its just a random thought on my part but they might be totally ok with the lesser enhancements you could easily do to dogs.

just as a thought:
increased physical strength
increased physical endurance
elimination of genetic defects and aberrations
instinctive dislike of the supernatural
increased intelligence

IE mostly what you could get by generations of breeding, just accelerating the process by using genetic engineering.
SolCannibal
Champion

Well, making animal people as servitors IS something that would bother a lot of people with modern sensibilities on a number of levels. My guess is thaat the citizens of Free Quebec inherited some of those views and then some through the ages. Not hard to see genetic engineering and worries about biological or enviromental colaterals from its misuse being an issue some people take to heart.
Axelmania
Knight

Very useful! Initially when I read...
    notable inclusion of the Glitter Boys and the absence of Dog Packs, Psi-Stalkers and psychics, the Quebec Military

I had thought "absence" would refer to ABSOLUTE absence (0 psychics in QM) but the use of "seldom" makes me think this is only a RELATIVE absence.

Sort of like how "inclusion of Glitter Boys" is not ABSOLUTE inclusion (the QB is not 100% Glitter Boys) but rather relative inclusion (more Glitter Boys than the 0 used in other CS States).

So relative absence merely requires there be LESS psychics than other CS states (instead of none) which "seldom given positions" fulfills, since elsewhere in the CS, psychics are OFTEN given positions in military and law enforcement.

dreicunan wrote:They can be citizens, but are encouraged to not be:

Most ordinary humans regard psychics as mutants — aberrations who are less than human. Most will not date or even associate with psychics let alone marry one (and those who do marry a psychic are treated like lepers for tainting pure human genes).

This is also interesting in what it reveals about CS (or at least FQ) culture. It is considered "tainting genes" to merely MARRY a psychic. I would think the concern with GENES would be reproducing with a psychic, which is a distinct idea. Non-psychics who married psychics but did not reproduce with them would not mix their genes, while non-psychics who reproduced with psychics they were not married to would mix their genes yet not be married...

The assumption here seems to be that in FQ, marriage is interpreted as assuming you will reproduce with your spouse. This implies that stuff like adoption or non-reproductive marriages are relatively rare, insomuchas they do not color this view of marriage.

dreicunan wrote:

Hover vehicles are rather expensive right? I think a wheeled truck would be cheaper for individuals, surprised they don't give those to everyone.

Do you think Psi-Stalkers are also given the 30,000 credits? The only difference being that for Psi-Stalkers it might be MANDATORY to be relocated whereas other psychics have the option?

Psi-Ghosts and Psi-Slayers stand out amongst the master-psychic humans as "a lil more mutant" than the other classes in Psi-Scape, which makes me wonder how FQ deals with them.

Regarding reliance on the Psi-Scanners/SNARLs (I can't remember where to find the latter, later book?) do you think those provide as much information about distinctions in powers (minor v master for example) to give whatever FQ's equivalent of Psi-Net is, information on which psychics to most discriminate against?
dreicunan
Hero

Axelmania wrote:

Very useful! Initially when I read...
    notable inclusion of the Glitter Boys and the absence of Dog Packs, Psi-Stalkers and psychics, the Quebec Military

I had thought "absence" would refer to ABSOLUTE absence (0 psychics in QM) but the use of "seldom" makes me think this is only a RELATIVE absence.

Sort of like how "inclusion of Glitter Boys" is not ABSOLUTE inclusion (the QB is not 100% Glitter Boys) but rather relative inclusion (more Glitter Boys than the 0 used in other CS States).

So relative absence merely requires there be LESS psychics than other CS states (instead of none) which "seldom given positions" fulfills, since elsewhere in the CS, psychics are OFTEN given positions in military and law enforcement.
The statement is that they are seldom given positions in the military and law enforcement. There is no need to contradict the other statements and have psychics in the military. A few psychics in the police force makes it true. Also, there is no such thing as "absolute inclusion" as you define it. The percentage breakdown of OCCs in the Quebec Military is quite clear, psychics are 0%, and it even says "none" in parenthesis after it.

Axelmania wrote:
dreicunan wrote:They can be citizens, but are encouraged to not be:

Most ordinary humans regard psychics as mutants — aberrations who are less than human. Most will not date or even associate with psychics let alone marry one (and those who do marry a psychic are treated like lepers for tainting pure human genes).

This is also interesting in what it reveals about CS (or at least FQ) culture. It is considered "tainting genes" to merely MARRY a psychic. I would think the concern with GENES would be reproducing with a psychic, which is a distinct idea. Non-psychics who married psychics but did not reproduce with them would not mix their genes, while non-psychics who reproduced with psychics they were not married to would mix their genes yet not be married...

The assumption here seems to be that in FQ, marriage is interpreted as assuming you will reproduce with your spouse. This implies that stuff like adoption or non-reproductive marriages are relatively rare, insomuchas they do not color this view of marriage.
No, it implies that in Free Quebec people have the same view of marriage that most humans on earth have had for thousands of years. I can't even fathom how you make the leap to this telling us anything about adoption!

Axelmania wrote:
dreicunan wrote:

Hover vehicles are rather expensive right? I think a wheeled truck would be cheaper for individuals, surprised they don't give those to everyone.

Do you think Psi-Stalkers are also given the 30,000 credits? The only difference being that for Psi-Stalkers it might be MANDATORY to be relocated whereas other psychics have the option?

Psi-Ghosts and Psi-Slayers stand out amongst the master-psychic humans as "a lil more mutant" than the other classes in Psi-Scape, which makes me wonder how FQ deals with them.

Regarding reliance on the Psi-Scanners/SNARLs (I can't remember where to find the latter, later book?) do you think those provide as much information about distinctions in powers (minor v master for example) to give whatever FQ's equivalent of Psi-Net is, information on which psychics to most discriminate against?

Psi-stalkers aren't citizens of Free Quebec. If they want them to move and the psi-stalkers refuse, they can always "donate" some boom gun ammunition...by shooting it at them.

Psi-scanner (from Psyscape) doesn't tell you anything about power level. SNARLS is from Japan.
Axelmania
Knight

dreicunan wrote:The statement is that they are seldom given positions in the military and law enforcement.
There is no need to contradict the other statements and have psychics in the military.
A few psychics in the police force makes it true.

I think I have a point that it's very odd and suggestive phrasing, "seldom given positions with the military or law enforcement" implies sometimes given positions in both. Otherwise you'd say "never given positions with the military and seldom given chances in law enforcement"

dreicunan wrote:Also, there is no such thing as "absolute inclusion" as you define it.

Sure there is. The notable inclusion of humans in a human-only army is 100% and thus absolute inclusion, but this would not be assumed by saying humans were included.

dreicunan wrote:The percentage breakdown of OCCs in the Quebec Military is quite clear, psychics are 0%, and it even says "none" in parenthesis after it.

I don't think you mentioned that earlier :)

That said... that is a present-day statistic, so "seldom" could mean none CURRENTLY but perhaps a year ago there were a couple, and maybe a couple might join next year. None !=Never.

dreicunan wrote:it implies that in Free Quebec people have the same view of marriage that most humans on earth have had for thousands of years. I can't even fathom how you make the leap to this telling us anything about adoption!

The leap is because they're complaining about "genes" merely from a marriage, which does not have to require either spouse have their own biological children.

The same view of marriage humans had thousands of years ago would be antiquated in a superscientific world which probably has MDC condoms, they would know that there's no risk of dirtying the human genome so long as psychic women don't get impregnated by non-psychic men and psychic men don't go around impregnating non-psychic women.

Other concerns about psychics rearing human children would be in spreading unhealthy memes of tolerating human psychics as equals or ignoring their dangers.

dreicunan wrote:Psi-scanner (from Psyscape) doesn't tell you anything about power level. SNARLS is from Japan.

I really want a CS-Japan alliance!

Return to “Rifts®”