Triax and ngr cyclops helmet sensors

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

DeimosxxPhobos
D-Bee

Triax and ngr cyclops helmet sensors

Unread post by DeimosxxPhobos »

In the triax and the ngr world book: 5 it clearly states that all cyclops helmets have a radar but it doesn't indicate what the range for it is. Can anyone help find the radar range or something In one of the books saying that this is just a typo
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Triax and ngr cyclops helmet sensors

Unread post by eliakon »

I would go with the short range radar that cyborgs can get as an implant.
That is a radar that we know exists, and is small enough to fit in the helmet (I believe it is like 250' or something of that nature)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

sounds reasonable. long enough ranged that it would be useful for getting an early warning of gargoyle attacks, but not so long of range that the soldier can't actually use the information it displays.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

DeimosxxPhobos wrote:In the triax and the ngr world book: 5 it clearly states that all cyclops helmets have a radar but it doesn't indicate what the range for it is. Can anyone help find the radar range or something In one of the books saying that this is just a typo

Where does it say radar (pg and quote please). I know on point #1 of Cyclops Helmet it mentions "A second area shows a radar screen and tracks movement of several blips moving rapidly closer (radar is available via a headjack-link)."

If that is the source then I think it indicates that the radar is external to the armor since it requires use of the headjack link (which it has and is noted elsewhere in the list). There is a portable Short Range Radar System (backpack) on pg 152 for equipment, and I'm pretty sure a few other examples exist.
slade2501
Explorer
Comment: For the baddies I shoot, and their bodies I loot; Oh RNJesus, you I salute!

Unread post by slade2501 »

jesus, hope they only use it conditionally. a whole squad of quys (10-12 troopers) blasting out radar constantly would be a hell of a radar return to anyone looking for a radar signature. Let one gargoyle with a basic sensor sweet running passive would EASILY see that and have a real accurate location. maybe even track them to plan patrols, back-track to their base/stagin area, etc.
DeimosxxPhobos
D-Bee

Unread post by DeimosxxPhobos »

ShadowLogan wrote:
DeimosxxPhobos wrote:In the triax and the ngr world book: 5 it clearly states that all cyclops helmets have a radar but it doesn't indicate what the range for it is. Can anyone help find the radar range or something In one of the books saying that this is just a typo

Where does it say radar (pg and quote please). I know on point #1 of Cyclops Helmet it mentions "A second area shows a radar screen and tracks movement of several blips moving rapidly closer (radar is available via a headjack-link)."

If that is the source then I think it indicates that the radar is external to the armor since it requires use of the headjack link (which it has and is noted elsewhere in the list). There is a portable Short Range Radar System (backpack) on pg 152 for equipment, and I'm pretty sure a few other examples exist.

I'm talking about the second area with the radar.
If that was the case then the soldiers wouldn't be able to use the other features of the helmet on the display HUD as each military occ has access to the universal headjack link for the helmets.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

The text though is pretty clear that the "Radar is available via a headjack-link". The means the radar is an external device the suit plugs into, not an integrated feature.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

ShadowLogan wrote:The text though is pretty clear that the "Radar is available via a headjack-link". The means the radar is an external device the suit plugs into, not an integrated feature.

I agree that it is clearly a disply location for an external radio that links to the heady through a headjack link in the helmet. The helmet has built in links for equipment.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.

Return to “Rifts®”