How do you handle opposed skill checks

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

jburkett
Wanderer

How do you handle opposed skill checks

Unread post by jburkett »

I know this subject has been covered quite a bit here but there is one question I still have after skimming through what has been discussed. Does a player have to declare that they are actively looking for someone who is prowling to take advantage of a perception roll (and ultimately, to notice the prowler)? If they do need to declare they are actively looking for someone prowling and do not make this declaration, does the prowling NPC/PC still have to make the prowl roll or is it an automatic success? Or, do you just tell the player to make a perception roll if someone is attempting to sneak up on (prowl) the player. And thus, reveal to the player that there is something "detectable" near by. In considering the ways in which this situation could be handled I can't think of one that isn't a bit problematic. Any advice you can share would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Re: How do you handle opposed skill checks

Unread post by Warshield73 »

I have not seen official answers for this but this how I do it.

jburkett wrote:Does a player have to declare that they are actively looking for someone who is prowling to take advantage of a perception roll (and ultimately, to notice the prowler)?/quote]
Yes

jburkett wrote:If they do need to declare they are actively looking for someone prowling and do not make this declaration, does the prowling NPC/PC still have to make the prowl roll or is it an automatic success?

Yes they must still roll for it. If they succeed then nothing happens and they keep sneaking, if they fail then I tell the player(s) to roll a perception. If the prowler failed by a lot, 35% or higher then it is an easy PF roll. If they failed by a little, say missed it by 1% to 9% then it is very difficult. This will put the players on guard a little but so would a strange sound or glimpse of something moving.

jburkett wrote:Or, do you just tell the player to make a perception roll if someone is attempting to sneak up on (prowl) the player. And thus, reveal to the player that there is something "detectable" near by. In considering the ways in which this situation could be handled I can't think of one that isn't a bit problematic. Any advice you can share would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I never tell a character to roll PF. If they say "I'm looking around" or "I'm sweeping the area" then I go through all the skills that can be useful - PF, Detect concealment, Detect Ambush, read sensory equipment if they are in a vehicle - but I never just randomly say roll something unless the NPC does something to alert them.

Hope this helps and if someone knows the actual official rule I'd love to see them.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Hackmaster does d100+skill, higher total wins. A clear advantage to the more skilled, without countinf the other out entirely.

Before I found that, I prefered "highest successful test." So, of you have a 45 and I have a 30, I might beat you because of a poor-quality success (you roll 15, I roll 20, both succeed, but mine is better), or I might win because I succeeded and you failed... but if you roll 31-45, there is no way I can win, because you are that much better.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

RUE does have rules for this in relation to opposed skill checks and perception. At least the mechanics of it.

As for when to have the PC roll, that can be a bit trickier since if they have to roll it can result in some metagame. If you want to avoid rolling to tip of players two ideas come to mind, and apply any situational modifiers as appropriate:
-assume both parties "take 10" on their D20 roll and factor in their modifiers (borrowed from D20)
-don't roll and put the targets Perception modifier up against the converted skill-vs-perception form modifier from the person attempting it.
Proseksword
Adventurer

Unread post by Proseksword »

ShadowLogan wrote:RUE does have rules for this in relation to opposed skill checks and perception. At least the mechanics of it.

As for when to have the PC roll, that can be a bit trickier since if they have to roll it can result in some metagame. If you want to avoid rolling to tip of players two ideas come to mind, and apply any situational modifiers as appropriate:
-assume both parties "take 10" on their D20 roll and factor in their modifiers (borrowed from D20)
-don't roll and put the targets Perception modifier up against the converted skill-vs-perception form modifier from the person attempting it.

Or, to really **** with your players & make them paranoid, call for perception checks regularly throughout your game session when there is nothing there for them to notice anyway! :lol:
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

Proseksword wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:RUE does have rules for this in relation to opposed skill checks and perception. At least the mechanics of it.

Or, to really **** with your players & make them paranoid, call for perception checks regularly throughout your game session when there is nothing there for them to notice anyway! :lol:

In one campaign we all "pre-rolled" a bunch of results, then randomized our results at aist rabdomizer site so that we wouldn't know the order, and the GM used those rolls in order to decide who noticed what. We redid it every few sessions. It avoided the metagame aspect during sessions.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Proseksword wrote:Or, to really **** with your players & make them paranoid, call for perception checks regularly throughout your game session when there is nothing there for them to notice anyway! :lol:

I do this a lot. When I need one player to roll something and I don't want them to know what it is for I have every player roll 2D10 and a D20. This works for skills like Detect Ambush or Concealment and suveylance as well as save vs Psi if someone is trying to use telepathy on them and of course Perception Factor.
If you do this often enough when nothing happens then they are surprised when they roll and bullets start flying.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

If there is not specific rule like prowl and perception who ever succeeds by the most wins.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.

Return to “Rifts®”