Magical Mack’s Astounding Aspis

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

This is just a little construct I’ve been kicking around for a while. It’s a pretty simple implementation of a few shield spells.

A few months ago, a fairly skittish fella came into Magical Mack’s Ye Olde Techno-Wizardry Shoppe requesting a better way of protecting himself. He was helped by one of Magical Mack’s apprentices who just took several shield spells and combined them into a single item. At first, Magical Mack thought about punishing the apprentice for such a plain (and inexpensive) design, but the customer was pleased and the item did possess a unique method of activating different functions.

The basic design of the Astounding Aspis is that of a small shield (about the size of a buckler or large dinner plate) that’s affixed to the user’s forearm. The shield has three inlaid concentric circles; one of brass, one of copper, and one of lead. Each circle represents one of the three spell functions and has the appropriate gems embedded along the lines. The three functions are straightforward applications of the invocations Magic Shield, Chromatic Protection, and Deflect. An innovative function activator allows the user to activate just a single spell, or simultaneously activate a pair of spells, or all three spells, in a single melee action. Just pump in the appropriate amount of PPE (or double in ISP) while concentrating on the desired outcome.

Magic Shield – 3 PPE, lasts 10 minutes
Chromatic Protection – 5 PPE, lasts 5 minutes
Deflect – 4 PPE, 5 attempts during the next 5 melee actions
Magic Shield plus Chromatic Protection – 8 PPE, lasts only 5 minutes
Magic Shield plus Deflect – 7 PPE, lasts only 5 melee actions
Chromatic Protection plus Deflect – 9 PPE, lasts only 5 melee actions
Magic Shield plus Chromatic Protection plus Deflect – 12 PPE, lasts only 5 melee actions

However, once any function is activated, no others can be until the existing one is canceled. For example, if Magic Shield active, it must be canceled (one melee action) then another desired function (such as Magic Shield plus Chromatic Protection) be initiated (another melee action).

Construction stats:
Magic Shield, Device Level 5
Activation: 3 PPE
Construction: 60 PPE & 30 hours
Gem carats: 5 Amethyst
Build Cost: 5,000 credits

Chromatic Protection, Device Level 5
Activation: 5 PPE
Construction: 100 PPE & 50 hours
Gem carats: 5 Quartz (clear)
Build Cost: 5,300 credits

Deflect, Device Level 5
Activation: 4 PPE
Construction: 80 PPE & 40 hours
Gem carats: 6.25 Opal (all other colors)
Build Cost: 7,200 credits

Totals:
Construction: 240 PPE & 120 hours
Build Cost: 17,500 credits

Price in the TW Shoppe: 35,000 credits

-------------------------------------------
Author’s Notes
- An “Aspis” is a large shield carried by Greek Hoplites in the age of Athens and Sparta.
- This device does not store any PPE. It must come from the user.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Magical Mack’s Astounding Aspis

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

That's pretty darned Sweet! Actually useful too. I can see Cyber knights loving them.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Once again Magical Mack delivers! :ok:
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Thanks for the feedback.

I had another idea for a large shield (like a Roman Scutum) that could be planted in the ground and cast some of the 'wall' spells (Wall of Weird, Wall of Defense, etc). Unfortunately, many of those spells are high level (which I tend to avoid with TW) and the initial result was really expensive. If I make it, it would have to be something a magical kingdom keeps in reserve for special occasions; not handed out every day.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

mercenary companies are buying 30 million credit robot vehicles. i find it hard to believe that those higher level spells get so pricey that they're beyond that range.
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Shark_Force wrote:mercenary companies are buying 30 million credit robot vehicles. i find it hard to believe that those higher level spells get so pricey that they're beyond that range.

Fair point. "Expensive" is relative.

I tend to make TW items that a typical adventurer could afford, not necessarily what an enterprise could. Depending on what options I put into this particular idea it would cost one to four million credits to purchase, which is pretty high for a man-sized shield. Definitely too much for a common adventurer. The gems alone would make the risk of theft pretty high.

The concept I had in mind was for the user to run up, plant his shield in the ground and create a magical wall for the rest of his team.

If I can come with a workable model (and a story) then I'll post it.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Mack wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:mercenary companies are buying 30 million credit robot vehicles. i find it hard to believe that those higher level spells get so pricey that they're beyond that range.

I tend to make TW items that a typical adventurer could afford, not necessarily what an enterprise could. Depending on what options I put into this particular idea it would cost one to four million credits to purchase, which is pretty high for a man-sized shield. Definitely too much for a common adventurer. The gems alone would make the risk of theft pretty high.

The concept I had in mind was for the user to run up, plant his shield in the ground and create a magical wall for the rest of his team.

Team up with a warlock.
Wall of Clay is level 2
Wall of Stone is level 3
and the lovely Wall of Thorns is level 4

Since we know that Tolkeen was doing Warlock/TW collaborations, and that they were into making instant fortifications...
Sounds like just the thing for the modern combat engineer to carry.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Shark_Force
Palladin

eliakon wrote:
Mack wrote:

Team up with a warlock.
Wall of Clay is level 2
Wall of Stone is level 3

Since we know that Tolkeen was doing Warlock/TW collaborations, and that they were into making instant fortifications...

those spells all kinda need higher device level to be particularly effective (because it determines the MDC of the wall, which generally isn't terribly high at level 1), sadly... makes the cost a bit harder to manage.

also, those gems won't be the 60 credit per carat gems, iirc the cheapest option is 1,000 credits per carat for elemental magic.

it might be possible to work out something using a spell like (targeted) deflection or spinning blades for the barrier though. maybe combined with a sheltering force spell; that would give you some very respectable duration. it wouldn't be full cover of course, but it would certainly protect the area much better.
slade2501
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the baddies I shoot, and their bodies I loot; Oh RNJesus, you I salute!

Unread post by slade2501 »

The Return of the Mack! I have always enjoyed your TW creations. They make since but don't break the game (which can often break itself).
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Shark_Force wrote:
eliakon wrote:
Mack wrote:

Team up with a warlock.
Wall of Clay is level 2
Wall of Stone is level 3

those spells all kinda need higher device level to be particularly effective (because it determines the MDC of the wall, which generally isn't terribly high at level 1), sadly... makes the cost a bit harder to manage.

also, those gems won't be the 60 credit per carat gems, iirc the cheapest option is 1,000 credits per carat for elemental magic.

it might be possible to work out something using a spell like (targeted) deflection or spinning blades for the barrier though. maybe combined with a sheltering force spell; that would give you some very respectable duration. it wouldn't be full cover of course, but it would certainly protect the area much better.

You don't *need* a high level for them though... after all remember TW devices are assumed to be level 5 on average so that should be the benchmark of most items. Giving even wall of clay 50MDC for a measly 8PPE (level 3 spell) stone walls will have 250MDC for 15 PPE
Thorns still rock as they provide cover and concealment but can't really be 'shot away' but must be 'chopped away' and the Level 5 Air: Invisible Wall is pretty handy as well as it is self repairing and must take 100MDC in a single round to be brought down (yes, that is doable with heavy weapons...but in a small infantry action it gets a LOT harder)
And frankly...1000cr is still in the 'chump change' area...I mean an E-Clip costs WAY more than that...
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Shark_Force
Palladin

you don't just get an average device level of 5 for free, you have to pay for it. device level 5 multiplies the cost of pretty much everything else by 5.... activation cost, materials cost, arguably even gem cost (i mean, you technically don't have to increase gem cost, but then the other parts go up again).

as to 50 MDC being useful, it really isn't. at least, not in a squad scenario... that's not even one action worth of protection against half a dozen people with regular laser rifles. that isn't too shabby in a smaller scale fight, but it really won't last long at all if you're looking at group combat. 250 MDC is of course better, but still, you're not looking at nearly as low a cost as you can pull off on TW devices with very low gem costs.

now, i would agree that there is presumably room in the market for more expensive TW devices, potentially even up to tens of millions if the effect is worth it (and i would expect that for a mercenary company, something that drops a 250 MDC stone wall where they want when they want is definitely going to be of interest even at price ranges of, say, half a million credits or more, simply because repair bills on MDC armour and vehicles is so expensive). i would even say that there is a market for 30 million credit TW devices, provided they do something impressive enough to warrant the cost... i did point out there's a market for 30 million credit robot vehicles just a bit upthread. but apparently, that's not the market mack is looking at.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Shark_Force wrote:you don't just get an average device level of 5 for free, you have to pay for it. device level 5 multiplies the cost of pretty much everything else by 5.... activation cost, materials cost, arguably even gem cost (i mean, you technically don't have to increase gem cost, but then the other parts go up again).

If your device can't work at level 5 there is a problem.
No really, there is a problem.
The reason I say that is that as per RUE all commercial TW devices are presumed to operate at level 5 unless otherwise specified. That means that the industry standard is 5... and if you can't meet that standard then your device has some serious issues.

Shark_Force wrote:as to 50 MDC being useful, it really isn't. at least, not in a squad scenario... that's not even one action worth of protection against half a dozen people with regular laser rifles. that isn't too shabby in a smaller scale fight, but it really won't last long at all if you're looking at group combat. 250 MDC is of course better, but still, you're not looking at nearly as low a cost as you can pull off on TW devices with very low gem costs.

By this argument then NO wall is viable...and no armor, no force field, no mecha, no tanks... gee I guess NOTHING is viable in squad combat so we should just give up :lol:

Shark_Force wrote:now, i would agree that there is presumably room in the market for more expensive TW devices, potentially even up to tens of millions if the effect is worth it (and i would expect that for a mercenary company, something that drops a 250 MDC stone wall where they want when they want is definitely going to be of interest even at price ranges of, say, half a million credits or more, simply because repair bills on MDC armour and vehicles is so expensive). i would even say that there is a market for 30 million credit TW devices, provided they do something impressive enough to warrant the cost... i did point out there's a market for 30 million credit robot vehicles just a bit upthread. but apparently, that's not the market mack is looking at.

Again your making a pretty huge leap that "only 250 MDC or better is viable"
Nevermind that by your OWN criteria 250 MDC is just as worthless as 50 :lol: (no seriously when your argument is that 'a half dozen people will blow it away to fast'... I mean lets say they have *only* 5d6 weapons. that is 30d6 or 90 MDC per action. And that is with basic low grade weapons...)

And if you want decent MDC or abilities then use the spells for it. It really is just that simple.
You don't *have* to use level 7 or 8 or 10 spells.
There are a huge array of level 1-5 spells that provide all sorts of walls that are just as viable as the 'big boys'.
Wall of Thorns for instance can't be shot up, only cut.
The lesser walls can be easily replenished or repaired quite quickly for absurdly low PPE costs.
Now I *could* go through every book and list out every wall spell in the game and its level and go through and compare every one... but frankly I don't see the need to do that. My claim is pretty simple "there are perfectly viable low level walls" and I have shown a few of them.
Especially if we are holding a standard of damage so high that by your claim most power armor are not viable in combat! :lol:

Also there is no need to jump straight from 'a couple of thousands' to 'millions' There is a LOT of space in the middle that you seem to be disregarding out of hand.

Shark_Force
Palladin

eliakon wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:you don't just get an average device level of 5 for free, you have to pay for it. device level 5 multiplies the cost of pretty much everything else by 5.... activation cost, materials cost, arguably even gem cost (i mean, you technically don't have to increase gem cost, but then the other parts go up again).

If your device can't work at level 5 there is a problem.
No really, there is a problem.
The reason I say that is that as per RUE all commercial TW devices are presumed to operate at level 5 unless otherwise specified. That means that the industry standard is 5... and if you can't meet that standard then your device has some serious issues.

Shark_Force wrote:as to 50 MDC being useful, it really isn't. at least, not in a squad scenario... that's not even one action worth of protection against half a dozen people with regular laser rifles. that isn't too shabby in a smaller scale fight, but it really won't last long at all if you're looking at group combat. 250 MDC is of course better, but still, you're not looking at nearly as low a cost as you can pull off on TW devices with very low gem costs.

By this argument then NO wall is viable...and no armor, no force field, no mecha, no tanks... gee I guess NOTHING is viable in squad combat so we should just give up :lol:

Shark_Force wrote:now, i would agree that there is presumably room in the market for more expensive TW devices, potentially even up to tens of millions if the effect is worth it (and i would expect that for a mercenary company, something that drops a 250 MDC stone wall where they want when they want is definitely going to be of interest even at price ranges of, say, half a million credits or more, simply because repair bills on MDC armour and vehicles is so expensive). i would even say that there is a market for 30 million credit TW devices, provided they do something impressive enough to warrant the cost... i did point out there's a market for 30 million credit robot vehicles just a bit upthread. but apparently, that's not the market mack is looking at.

Again your making a pretty huge leap that "only 250 MDC or better is viable"
Nevermind that by your OWN criteria 250 MDC is just as worthless as 50 :lol: (no seriously when your argument is that 'a half dozen people will blow it away to fast'... I mean lets say they have *only* 5d6 weapons. that is 30d6 or 90 MDC per action. And that is with basic low grade weapons...)

And if you want decent MDC or abilities then use the spells for it. It really is just that simple.
You don't *have* to use level 7 or 8 or 10 spells.
There are a huge array of level 1-5 spells that provide all sorts of walls that are just as viable as the 'big boys'.
Wall of Thorns for instance can't be shot up, only cut.
The lesser walls can be easily replenished or repaired quite quickly for absurdly low PPE costs.
Now I *could* go through every book and list out every wall spell in the game and its level and go through and compare every one... but frankly I don't see the need to do that. My claim is pretty simple "there are perfectly viable low level walls" and I have shown a few of them.
Especially if we are holding a standard of damage so high that by your claim most power armor are not viable in combat! :lol:

Also there is no need to jump straight from 'a couple of thousands' to 'millions' There is a LOT of space in the middle that you seem to be disregarding out of hand.

you are correct that if your device doesn't do very well if at device level 5, you've probably got a problem. and that's fine; it just means you've built an inefficient device, and it probably isn't worth very much to other people. so don't build it, or if you've already built it, don't build more.

that said, it takes a level 5 techno-wizard to make a device level of 5, and not every techno-wizard is level 5 (nor does the device level matter even the tiniest shred apart from when you're designing the effects, which means that the great majority of people interacting with device level in any meaningful way are PC techno-wizards... and especially many of them won't be waiting for level 5 before they decide to ever build anything)

and really, there is a substantial difference between 50 MDC and 250 MDC. 50 MDC trades for 3 enemy actions at 5d6 apiece... not terrible, but the people who took cover (which may have cost them an action. depending on GM; as with many things in palladium, it's pretty unclear) are getting shot, and it will probably happen on this action, not even the next one, in a squad setting. and of course, it's a pretty expensive option, so you want to be getting a really good trade for it. 250 MDC trades for 15ish actions. substantially better; against a squad of 8 soldiers, that's probably 2 full actions worth of protection. that is a major improvement that can buy everyone in the group time to use other options (likely including yourself). bear in mind, it needs to compete with, say, popping a smoke grenade, which will probably give enemies anywhere from -6 to -10 to hit for an extended period of time, and costs next to nothing. it is entirely possible that even the 250 MDC wall is not good enough to justify the expense, because it needs to compete with smoke grenades (or similar devices, such as flashbangs) as well.

and no, there are not level 1-5 spells that compete with wall of defense (which blocks everything no matter how much damage it does for the full duration). that doesn't mean *none* of those lower level spells are worth anything at all, but they are not in the least bit comparable. wall of defense stops a missile barrage in its tracks, no matter how large the volley is or how many people are firing those volleys. it stops explosions, it stops lasers, it stops flamethrowers, *everything*. in contrast, wall of thorns won't block flamethrowers, or explosions, that go off inside of it, from reaching people on the other side, because it isn't a solid barrier.

any barrier that has an actual MDC value literally has infinitely less MDC than a wall of defense. that is just not comparable at all.

and again: I DID NOT SAY EXPENSIVE STUFF IS NOT VIABLE. I SAID THAT MACK APPEARS TO BE FOCUSING ON VERY INEXPENSIVE PRODUCTS.

i myself pointed out that people are buying 30 million credit war machines, and that there would be a corresponding market for 30 million credit magical war machines (whether in the form of giant robots augmented by techno-wizardry or a TW device that can fit into your pocket), IF THE IMPACT IS BIG ENOUGH. a 50 MDC wall doesn't do the job of providing meaningful cover. a 250 MDC wall does a much better job, though obviously not as good as the completely indestructible wall... but likely good enough if all you need is to buy yourself enough time for something simple (like activating an impervious to energy TW enhancement on the armour of everyone in the squad, or a TW device that teleports the squad out of danger, or deploying a powerful weapon, etc).
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

First, thanks to eliakon for suggesting some Warlock spells. I previously only looked at standard Invocations.

I worked up a few basic designs. One expensive, was inexpensive. I haven’t had time to work up a story or detailed descriptions.

Both are large shields, similar to a Roman Scutum, with the addition of a few small spikes along the bottom edge so that it can be planted in the ground.

Model 1 – El Magnifico Mucho Dinero
Two functions, one based on Illusory Wall, and the second based on Impenetrable Wall of Force. The two functions may not be activated simultaneously. The user must plant the shield in the ground, then activate the desired function. In either case, the magical wall extends in both directions, centered on the shield. Should the user pick up or move the shield, the effect is canceled.

Function A - Illusory Wall, 5th Level, same as spell. Lasts 2.5 hours.
Activation: 10 PPE
Construction: 200 PPE & 100 hours
Gem carats: 7.5 Zircon (yellow, brown, or gold)
Build Cost: 12,300 credits

Function B - Impenetrable Wall of Force, 5th Level, same as spell. Lasts 25 melees.
Activation: 50 PPE
Construction: 1000 PPE & 500 hours
Gem carats: 30 Diamond
Build Cost: 500,000 credits

Sale Price – 3 million credits. (The main driver for the high price is that a level 14 spell is involved. I use my own formula determine Sale Price based on the spell level, build cost, and time required. Your mileage may vary.)

Model 2 – El Protecto En Cheapo
One function, based on Wall of Iron (Earth Warlock). Same basic design and use as Model 1. This creates an iron wall 40 feet long with 500 MDC. (The high MDC was a very nice find!)

Function – Wall of Iron, 5th level, same as spell. Lasts 20 minutes.
Activation: 10 PPE
Construction: 200 PPE & 100 hours
Gem carats: 11.25 Garnet
Build Cost: 21,300 credits
Sale Price: 70,000 credits

Notes:
- Since RUE give two different gems for Earth Warlock magic, I default to the more expensive one of the two. Thus the use of garnets instead of onyx.
- I also plus up my Sale Price a bit, to reflect working with a different magic type and coordinating with a Warlock.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
taalismn
Priest

Very much like the Deluxe and the Economy versions. Showroom and Bargain Basement models. :D :bandit:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Just had an amusing thought...

The El Cheapo has a safety feature that requires the bottom edge to be on the ground when activated. If the safety is bypassed, then the user will find a 300 ton weight hanging on his shield. (In other words, don't hold it over your head and activate it! :) )
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
taalismn
Priest

Mack wrote:Just had an amusing thought...

The El Cheapo has a safety feature that requires the bottom edge to be on the ground when activated. If the safety is bypassed, then the user will find a 300 ton weight hanging on his shield. (In other words, don't hold it over your head and activate it! :) )

"Okay, which one of you murderous pranksters taped over the large warning label on my shield? Rest assured, whoever it is is going to find one of my new bionic legs kicking their tonsils from the back of their throats." :badbad:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “Rifts®”