Hindering Supernatural Bio-Regeneration

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

jwillie
D-Bee
Comment: What? where am I?

Hindering Supernatural Bio-Regeneration

Unread post by jwillie »

Hi ya'll, I've tried to research this to the best of my abilities and can find nothing besides U-Rounds in WB:5 Triax & the NGR pg 141 that restricts supernatural bio-regeneration. I'm looking for things that affect demons, deevils, gargoyles, dragons, and the like with significant bio-regeneration powers. There are spells that cost HP to cast, which is not healed via bio-regeneration and maybe a similar thing or two. Are there additional methods, technological, psionic, magical or otherwise that restrict natural bio-regeneration?

Followup, question, I'm unclear as to whether a creature has to be conscious to use a racial power of bio-regeneration. Is it automatic (like breathing) or something that requires actual thought (like chewing)?

Cause if not, well, time to make **** stuff up!
"Oh hai!!"[sub]<---click me[/sub]
Image[sub]<---click me[/sub]
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Re: Hindering Supernatural Bio-Regeneration

Unread post by The Beast »

Phase weapons (DB2) also hinder bio-regen. That's the first one that comes to mind. I'm pretty sure there's more stuff in more recent books, and maybe some Rifter stuff if you and/or your GM allow potentially unofficial things in your game.

As for the follow up question, everyone I've played with treated it as an automatic reflex.
jwillie
D-Bee

Unread post by jwillie »

I've always treated it as an automatic process too, but in my hunting for the first answer, I saw some differing answers to the second one.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

level 9 standard invocation dessicate the supernatural.

unfortunately, it may also start a small forum was as people discuss precisely what counts as supernatural. but that's just life sometimes.
jwillie
D-Bee

Unread post by jwillie »

Shark_Force wrote:level 9 standard invocation dessicate the supernatural.

unfortunately, it may also start a small forum was as people discuss precisely what counts as supernatural. but that's just life sometimes.

Dang! That's a good one, I've even used it before. And that debate is probably unending. Just between the U-Rounds and the Desiccate Supernatural spell, the list of affected targets is different.

So...let's not debate that one here, okay? :D
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Use negative chi attacks from N&SS to reduce them to 0 chi.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Axelmania wrote:Use negative chi attacks from N&SS to reduce them to 0 chi.

Umm you might need positive chi to reduce them to 0 chi. Demons might be treated like ones from mystic china and be naturally negative.
Dim Mock does acording to conversion book 1 revised can negate bio-regen.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

jwillie wrote:Hi ya'll, I've tried to research this to the best of my abilities and can find nothing besides U-Rounds in WB:5 Triax & the NGR pg 141 that restricts supernatural bio-regeneration. I'm looking for things that affect demons, deevils, gargoyles, dragons, and the like with significant bio-regeneration powers. There are spells that cost HP to cast, which is not healed via bio-regeneration and maybe a similar thing or two. Are there additional methods, technological, psionic, magical or otherwise that restrict natural bio-regeneration?

Followup, question, I'm unclear as to whether a creature has to be conscious to use a racial power of bio-regeneration. Is it automatic (like breathing) or something that requires actual thought (like chewing)?

WB8's Chi M.D. Death Blow (Samurai, yamabushi, monk, demon queller OCC), PF2E has a form of this (Palladin, Demon Death Blow) and Withering Flesh Atemi (WB8 pg198-9) both prevent Bio-Regeneration for a period of time (depending on the specific Bio-Regen rate it might not even matter).

I'm surprised, or may be not, that Atlantis doesn't have something like this in their bio-wizardry arsenal.

For using racial powers, I think in some cases it is automatic and others it requires effort.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

ShadowLogan wrote:I'm surprised, or may be not, that Atlantis doesn't have something like this in their bio-wizardry arsenal.

i suspect the splugorth solution is to just kill them outright with more minions. it doesn't matter much if you can theoretically bio-regenerate when you're facing far more damage than you can survive.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Here are the spells that I could find off the top of my head
Invocation Magic:
Level Seven: Life Drain (may or may not, depending on how you read the spell)
Leven Nine: Desiccate the Supernatural
Level Eleven: Soul Twist

Demon Magic:
Level Three: Acid Blood Sphere
Level Six: Soul Fire

I'm sure there are more, I would have to really dig to find them though
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
jwillie
D-Bee

Unread post by jwillie »

Wow. That is very helpful! I don't have any of the China or Japan books, so those were totally off my radar. The demon magic should have been a no brainer!
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

jwillie wrote:Wow. That is very helpful! I don't have any of the China or Japan books, so those were totally off my radar. The demon magic should have been a no brainer!

They are from the Minion War.
Dimensional Outbreak and Megaverse in Flames.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Axelmania
Knight

Blue_Lion wrote:
Axelmania wrote:Use negative chi attacks from N&SS to reduce them to 0 chi.

Umm you might need positive chi to reduce them to 0 chi. Demons might be treated like ones from mystic china and be naturally negative.
Dim Mock does acording to conversion book 1 revised can negate bio-regen.

Checking conversion book Revised...

51 refers to reducing MDC by 30% and reducing bonuses by half... presumably in exchange for it not killing them... which shows the conversion was written by someone who didn't look closely at how the ability functions. Dim Mak can't kill you, it's being at 0 chi for prolonged periods that can.

52 says "applicable only to mortal HP and SDC beings"

Where does it refer to negating bio-regen in CB? That just seems like a natural consequence of being unable to heal at 0 chi. Dim Mak just makes it hard to get out of the 0 chi hole by disabling natural healing.

My policy, barring the undead forms of demon (Vampire, Death Demon) would be to assume they operate normally in needing positive chi to heal.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Atemi are unchanged but only affective against ….

Dim Mak is an atemi that has a normal affect of stopping healing. Bio-regen is healing. The reduction in MDC is in addition the normal affect. The Dim mak never killed out right.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Cr'Imson
Wanderer
Comment: Cry as you might, if the Ruby Slippers fit, wear them.

Unread post by Cr'Imson »

jwillie wrote:Hi ya'll, I've tried to research this to the best of my abilities and can find nothing besides U-Rounds in WB:5 Triax & the NGR pg 141 that restricts supernatural bio-regeneration. I'm looking for things that affect demons, deevils, gargoyles, dragons, and the like with significant bio-regeneration powers. There are spells that cost HP to cast, which is not healed via bio-regeneration and maybe a similar thing or two. Are there additional methods, technological, psionic, magical or otherwise that restrict natural bio-regeneration?

Depends on the Supernatural in the end. A lot of them have vulnerabilities, and some of them have ways around being "killed".

Bio-Regenerate X per Y = regenerates if/when damaged X per Y = Automatic.

Cr'Imson
Axelmania
Knight

So Blue Lion, you contend the % reduction and penalties are additional problems it causes for MDC beings rather than in substitution for stopping their chi from regenerating?

Dim Mak doesn't stop "healing" so much as it stops the normal regeneration of chi from sleep or meditation. It's being at 0 chi which stops healing.

Return to “Rifts®”