T-Man Character Transformation

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Hotrod
Knight

T-Man Character Transformation

Unread post by Hotrod »

As written, the Tattooed Man O.C.C. in Atlantis seems to offer an interesting opportunity to both significantly increase a character's power and take that character in a new direction. T-Men are allowed to have a previous O.C.C. prior to their enslavement and indoctrination. Per Atlantis, all skills associated with the previous O.C.C. freeze, and the character gets to select a few new secondary skills.

This isn't an overnight transformation; tattoos can only be applied four times a year (two per six months), so the minimum time involved would be around three years minimum. The corresponding psychological conditioning would likely be intense, and exploring what that might involve could be both disturbing and interesting. I'd compare it to the way Nazis turned victims into collaborators through threats, intimidation, morally impossible choices, and coercion, with the addition of psionics and magic.

What I find especially interesting is the idea of such a T-Man escaping and attempting to go back to his/her previous way of life. There are two considerations that would have to go with this. The first is in character development, and would largely depend on the origins of that character. If a C.S. soldier were to show up after being M.I.A. for years and tried to report back in with magic tattoos, how would that play with the Coalition? How would a Cyber-Knight who was forced to do horrible things for horrible beings try to reclaim his/her sanity, self-respect, and/or moral standing?

If escaped T-Men want to resume their former O.C.C.'s, how would the crunch of such a move work out for you? Would you tie it to storytelling/roleplaying development and require such characters to go through some kind of redemption/recovery arc first? Perhaps they'd have to confront their inner demons in a pertinent way such as treat their insanity, atone for what they did, or literally confront one of their captors? Perhaps they can't go back to what they were, but they must find a new place for themselves (for example, a C.S. Commando might never be accepted back, but he/she can find a place effectively continuing skill progression as a commando in a mercenary outfit or the NGR?). Would you require them to earn a certain amount of experience first, or could they simply make the switch back to what they were before? Once the switch is complete, how would tattoo power progression work?

What sorts of previous O.C.C.'s do you think would be most interesting as a once-and-possibly-future O.C.C. for a T-man?
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
shadrak
Champion

Re: T-Man Character Transformation

Unread post by shadrak »

I actually have a scenario I am building (Traversing Our Dangerous World 3.0: Title Not Determined Yet-possibly Romeo, meet Juliet) where similar themes may be explored.

Setting: Florida/Dinosaur Swamps at a location that was controlled by several Splugorth Minions. Splugorth minions were overthrown by a magic-wielding, anti-SN Creature, human supremacist organization known as New Awakening (see Traversing our Dangerous World 1.0: Into the Snake Pit). This was previously a fairly advanced outpost and New Awakening has eliminated all Splugorth minions within the outpost and now controls the outpost but must contend with dissatisfied inhabitants.

The remaining inhabitants number about 15,000 former slaves including about 3,000 New Awakening "members". Of the 3,000 New Awakening members, only about 180 are actually core members of the organization with real positions of power and authority. The rest of the populace is subjected to agitprop and other disruptive psychological warfare tactics to keep them complacent and keep them from undermining New Awakening authority. New Awakening is continuously stirring up internal hatreds between various former slave groups to keep them under control.

New Awakening leadership includes several humans trained in Bio-Wizardry. New Awakening is attempting to ensure that it controls the former slave population and desires to use the former slaves to establish a power base where they can gain control of the area and eventually attack Coalition naval bases and Splugorth slavers and, as part of the greater New Awakening movement, take control of the Federation of Magic and eventually control all of North America. Many of the senior members of New Awakening have undergone significant BioWizard modification and lower level New Awakening operatives have been given limited BioWizard modification.

A separate group resisting them consists of a group of escaped Maximen and Tattooed Men some of whom are not wholly disloyal to the Splugorth. They are led by several True Atlanteans (or Sunaj) that had been harassing the outpost prior to New Awakenings' successful overthrow of the Splugorth Minions.

There is a strawman group, established by New Awakening, that continuously attacks the outpost to keep it on edge and to convince the inhabitants that they need New Awakening to take care of them.

Another group consists of traditionalist native american Seminoles operating in the area. New Awakening would like to get them on their side or eliminate them.

Another group is a group of 150 Kittani that had been charged with security for the outpost but failed in their duties. They intend to take down New Awakening since their prospects in Atlantis are poor since New Awakening killed most of the Splugorth leadership.

The Traditionalist Seminoles have a non-aggression pact with New Awakening, but New Awakening would like to eliminate them. If New Awakening's plans are revealed to the Seminole, it is possible they might partner with the T-Men.

These Tattooed Men will need to rely upon skills learned in their previous OCCs to survive and succeed in their work to overthrow New Awakening.
HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the White Rose!!!

Unread post by HarleeKnight »

Would a Cyber-Knight have to change OCCs to T-Man? The tattoos only affect magic and Cyber-Knights would still have full use of their psionic powers... unless I missed where you lose psionics too. I looked but could not find anywhere that says you lose psionics too.
There are two kinds of people in this world... 1: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

HarleeKnight wrote:Would a Cyber-Knight have to change OCCs to T-Man? The tattoos only affect magic and Cyber-Knights would still have full use of their psionic powers... unless I missed where you lose psionics too. I looked but could not find anywhere that says you lose psionics too.

In the rules as written, yes, the Cyber-Knight would have to change OCCs. I would explain this as part of their conditioning, where a Splugorth minion might train the character to "do it my way, or you get the pain stick again" and reprogram the character's mind along the lines of Kunta Kinte in Roots until he abandons his "Sir Schtuppalot" persona and embraces his new identity of "Meal Worm."

Psionics might be allowed by the trainers, or they might be similarly discouraged as the character is forced to use the tattoos in lieu of psi-powers. Perhaps they'd be disallowed at first and then gradually re-introduced as the character accepts his new role/identity/training. Reprogramming a cyber-knight into a Splugorth slave would be a difficult task, but the prospect of the price such a multi-talented slave might fetch would be a great motivator.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

Hotrod wrote:
HarleeKnight wrote:Would a Cyber-Knight have to change OCCs to T-Man? The tattoos only affect magic and Cyber-Knights would still have full use of their psionic powers... unless I missed where you lose psionics too. I looked but could not find anywhere that says you lose psionics too.

In the rules as written, yes, the Cyber-Knight would have to change OCCs. I would explain this as part of their conditioning, where a Splugorth minion might train the character to "do it my way, or you get the pain stick again" and reprogram the character's mind along the lines of Kunta Kinte in Roots until he abandons his "Sir Schtuppalot" persona and embraces his new identity of "Meal Worm."

Psionics might be allowed by the trainers, or they might be similarly discouraged as the character is forced to use the tattoos in lieu of psi-powers. Perhaps they'd be disallowed at first and then gradually re-introduced as the character accepts his new role/identity/training. Reprogramming a cyber-knight into a Splugorth slave would be a difficult task, but the prospect of the price such a multi-talented slave might fetch would be a great motivator.

Okay per the rules but the character is not technically a T Man until receiving the seventh tattoo. Also if the training is for arena combat then I would consider it more akin to gladiator training. Killing defeated opponents when they are helpless would seem to be at best a Selfish alignment. If the character is only killing to avoid being executed then maybe Selfish alignment. Why bother trying to corrupt the Cyber-Knight when as a champion of light he is an opponent the fans will love to hate. There is at least one slave Cyber-Knight listed in the one of the arena write-ups. I think it would be more likely someone like a wilderness scout or merc would be trained for arena combat.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Just remember, only a Cyber-Knight who is not a Master Psionic can get Tattoos, as per Splynn Dimentional Market pg.107
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

eliakon wrote:Just remember, only a Cyber-Knight who is not a Master Psionic can get Tattoos, as per Splynn Dimentional Market pg.107

A sensible check against rampant munchkinism. Even a non-psionic or minor psionic knight would eclipse a master psionic knight in power by becoming a basic T-man. It would be an interesting way of both developing the character from a storytelling perspective and upgrading the character in terms of power.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Mlp7029 wrote:Okay per the rules but the character is not technically a T Man until receiving the seventh tattoo. Also if the training is for arena combat then I would consider it more akin to gladiator training. Killing defeated opponents when they are helpless would seem to be at best a Selfish alignment. If the character is only killing to avoid being executed then maybe Selfish alignment. Why bother trying to corrupt the Cyber-Knight when as a champion of light he is an opponent the fans will love to hate. There is at least one slave Cyber-Knight listed in the one of the arena write-ups. I think it would be more likely someone like a wilderness scout or merc would be trained for arena combat.

Agreed on most points. Corruption and desensitizing to violence would be a process. They might start by using some mind-altering drugs to induce the character to do wildly evil acts (such as murder) or give them impossible moral choices (Choose one friend and kill him/her with your bare hands, or else two friends shall die) or use a hostage (Do as I say or your daughter dies).

That said, not all T-men are used for gladiator combat. Many are used as bodyguards/thugs/agents. Additionally, many if not most gladiator matches are not to the death, especially where expensive T-men are concerned (I wrote an article about this in Rifter 69).

Corrupted heroes are fun to watch; that's half of why FX succeeds as a channel, and I think the residents and minions of Atlantis would enjoy seeing such a gladiator at work. Such a slave might be a mark of prestige; if a High Lord has such a slave doing his bidding, that communicates power, cleverness, and prestige to his rivals (do High Lords even have genders?). Splynncryth surely prizes such manipulative capability, as he was able to get a whole clan of True Atlanteans to become his lowliest minions.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Another consideration: a CK might run out of real estate for magic tattoos due to the Cyber Armor. Just something to think about.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

On a related note, while I'm not generally a fan of the insanity system, the T-man indoctrination and lifestyle is actually a good fit for quite a few disorders of psychosis, obsession, homicidal rage, and addiction as the character turns to distraction, partial detachment from reality, and drugs/alcohol to deal with the abuse and horror as coping mechanisms. Living in bondage to the Splugorth as a sane and moral person would likely be intolerable. I'd prefer to pick them myself over rolling (Rebirth, traumatic selective amnesia, and homicidal rage would be my top three, I think).
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Mack wrote:Another consideration: a CK might run out of real estate for magic tattoos due to the Cyber Armor. Just something to think about.

Good point. CK tattoos would have to be clustered around the head, hands, and gaps in the armor. The character's MDC would be a little odd, too, since you'd have an MDC armor with an AR on top of an MDC being, compounded by the fact that the character would still have hit points (since monster tattoos, if the monster is slain, inflict damage to the T-man direct to hit points).

Sheesh, this stuff can get complicated.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

Hotrod wrote:
eliakon wrote:Just remember, only a Cyber-Knight who is not a Master Psionic can get Tattoos, as per Splynn Dimentional Market pg.107

A sensible check against rampant munchkinism. Even a non-psionic or minor psionic knight would eclipse a master psionic knight in power by becoming a basic T-man. It would be an interesting way of both developing the character from a storytelling perspective and upgrading the character in terms of power.

Secrets of the Atlanteans changed that. At least True Atlateans Master Psychics can get more tattoos and transform into full tattoo men.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

I think that only applies to Sunaj Assassins, and they lose 3-6 tattoos and several skills for it. The Atlantean dilettante in Rifter 52 is somewhat similar in that it can skirt standard boundaries and become an interesting low PPE variety caster, but those whom think being the first to say 'canon' is somehow worthwhile will race to dismiss it out of hand.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Hotrod wrote:
Mack wrote:Another consideration: a CK might run out of real estate for magic tattoos due to the Cyber Armor. Just something to think about.

Good point. CK tattoos would have to be clustered around the head, hands, and gaps in the armor. The character's MDC would be a little odd, too, since you'd have an MDC armor with an AR on top of an MDC being, compounded by the fact that the character would still have hit points (since monster tattoos, if the monster is slain, inflict damage to the T-man direct to hit points).

Simplify and just take 6 or less tattoos and dont change classes...
Since most of the complexities of combining things in the game tend to be the result of trying to stack various classes in obscure ways to try and build the 'perfect' character... which always complicated by the fact that KS doesnt like multi-class characters and deliberately makes it complicated to do.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the White Rose!!!

Unread post by HarleeKnight »

You should be able to pick and choose armor locations, after all, there are some races that choose not to take the armor at all. I know I read that recently but I don't remember where, I want to say the new Atlantean book.
There are two kinds of people in this world... 1: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Eagle
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Eagle »

Has anybody else considered using the Tattooed Man transformation as a shortcut to Juicer Detox?

Year 1, Month 1 -- Get Juicer augmentation done.
Year 1, Month 6 -- Get two magic tattoos
Year 2, Month 1 -- Get two more magic tattoos
Year 2, Month 6 -- Get two more magic tattoos (total 6)
then wait until you're ready to quit being a Juicer
Last day -- Get last two magic tattoos, become supernatural MDC creature, Juicer implants stop working

You're suddenly no longer eligible to be a Juicer. You're now a Tattooed Man. Your physical stats probably take the Juicer Detox penalties anyway, but with the right magic tattoos you might be able to temporarily bypass that.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

eliakon wrote:
Hotrod wrote:

Simplify and just take 6 or less tattoos and dont change classes...
Since most of the complexities of combining things in the game tend to be the result of trying to stack various classes in obscure ways to try and build the 'perfect' character... which always complicated by the fact that KS doesnt like multi-class characters and deliberately makes it complicated to do.

So much for my Naga Spawn True Atlantean Cyber Knight T-man Bio Borg Sea Inquisitor Warrior of Valhalla who's been exposed to the super-psionics-granting rift in Atlantis.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

Eagle wrote:Has anybody else considered using the Tattooed Man transformation as a shortcut to Juicer Detox?

Year 1, Month 1 -- Get Juicer augmentation done.
Year 1, Month 6 -- Get two magic tattoos
Year 2, Month 1 -- Get two more magic tattoos
Year 2, Month 6 -- Get two more magic tattoos (total 6)
then wait until you're ready to quit being a Juicer
Last day -- Get last two magic tattoos, become supernatural MDC creature, Juicer implants stop working

You're suddenly no longer eligible to be a Juicer. You're now a Tattooed Man. Your physical stats probably take the Juicer Detox penalties anyway, but with the right magic tattoos you might be able to temporarily bypass that.

Goodie, another Juicer to Cold One style debate in the making.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

Curbludgeon wrote:I think that only applies to Sunaj Assassins, and they lose 3-6 tattoos and several skills for it. The Atlantean dilettante in Rifter 52 is somewhat similar in that it can skirt standard boundaries and become an interesting low PPE variety caster, but those whom think being the first to say 'canon' is somehow worthwhile will race to dismiss it out of hand.

Sunja Assassins are True Atlanteans so there would be no reason why they could have Master level pdionics and not other True Atlanteans.

Return to “Rifts®”