Let Lines and compasses

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

dragonfett
Knight

Let Lines and compasses

Unread post by dragonfett »

I can't recall just where I had seen it, but there is a mention somewhere about how pay lines interfere with radio signals. Going with that thought, do you think let lines also mess with compasses?
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: Let Lines and compasses

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

everyone makes the clam that they interfere with radio, but no one can actually point out where in the books that is said.

so no, i don't think they mess with compasses. inside mystic triangles compasses sometimes fail, but that is due to the D-shifting effects of Dimensional storms within the triangles, not the ley lines themselves. (hard to tell direction with a compass when you are in 2 or 3 different overlapping dimensions, most of which aren't going to line up magnetically..)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Ley Line Storms and the like can interfere with radios, compasses and similar.
As far as I am aware of there is no supporting text for the claim that non-storming ley lines in normal conditions affect radios.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

Ah, ok. Thank you.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

dragonfett wrote:I can't recall just where I had seen it, but there is a mention somewhere about how pay lines interfere with radio signals. Going with that thought, do you think let lines also mess with compasses?

In 1st Ed BTS a dimensional vortex will mess with radios and instruments, but they're found in the power triads in that setting, not along ley lines. I'm guessing that some people applied that to the ley lines on Rifts Earth since those lines are much more powerful than the ones on BTS Earth.

eliakon wrote:Ley Line Storms and the like can interfere with radios, compasses and similar.
As far as I am aware of there is no supporting text for the claim that non-storming ley lines in normal conditions affect radios.

Was that added in later printings or books? I'm not seeing it in my copy.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Not sure think it was some where around the SoT or GMG that I remember reading it. Finding one line(of flavor text about ley lines) in dozens of physical books can be a bit of a challenge. But it is also possible I am remembering wrong. What I remember was flavor text about ley lines emitting all types of energy including radio waves. But do not recall a mechanical value just a vague refence to inerfance.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Jorick
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Jorick »

Hard to find! Probably nothing here that will satisfy everyone, but, you know, electromagnetic waves are wonky even without super fantasy/sci-fi stuff all around.

SoT 6, pg. 13. "Magic, ley lines, dimensional anomalies and other atmospheric disturbances since the Coming of the Rifts only add to the problem, creating distortions, void areas and interference."

SoT 6, pg. 209. In a hook line and sinker about skelebots "Meanwhile, ley line activity in the area has prevented any radio contact, so they sit inactive." ["Ley line activity" could mean a storm. Or not.]

There's more discussion of communication issues that follows the first reference above. Really, I think the actual limitations of radio are enough to satisfy the problems described therein, and adding special sorts of interference is just icing on the cake. Whenever radio range is described for equipment or whatever, I think you have to assume it applies only in perfect conditions and with line-of-site (maybe you can bounce stuff off stuff, with a skill check, but unless you're on high ground in good weather, I think the GM is always within rights to say "no"). The magic zone, for instance, is all hills and deep forests, and if the GM wants to add "ley line issues" to it, then why not?

For compasses in particular, I think it should be GMs call again, but any dimensional anomaly could be an excuse to spin the needle.

Return to “Rifts®”