Do full conversion 'borgs need to eat and drink?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

jburkett
Wanderer

Do full conversion 'borgs need to eat and drink?

Unread post by jburkett »

hello, I know I have lots of questions these days. I'm sure this is in RUE or another source but I am having troubles locating anything that says whether a full-conversion 'borg needs to eat and drink. Are they powered completely by their internal power source (nuclear?). I seem to remember that the stomach is one of the organs that may be saved or is reinforced or something but can't recall. I don't think any of the other organs included in digestion, etc. are mentioned. Can 'borgs get drunk? Well, once again, I appreciate the insightful input I've read so far on my other questions. Cheers!
Blue_Lion
Knight

Re: Do full conversion 'borgs need to eat and drink?

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Yes they would need to intake some sort of organic sustenance. But it may be like robo cop and just an automatic ingestion of a nutrient substance.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Depends on how much is organic.
A full-con's nutritional needs are going to be greatly diminished though, since they no longer have to fuel large muscle groups or heal broken bones. Still, a full-con with a working digestive system, teeth, and a tongue, may suffer less psychological trauma over being both more and less than human because they can still have a slice of apple pie, drink a beer, and savor hamburgers, over somebody with only an internal IV drip and the memories of those three-foot submarine sandwiches they used to eat. The downside is that the guy with the working esophagus and stomach could conceivably be poisoned easily , while the IV feeder has fewer inlets for poisoning attempts.

I figure it adds color to a cyborg character. I had a full-con cyborg character who had professional-degree cooking as a skill, even though he could live off.a specially formulated nutrient soup pumped into his greatly abbreviated digestive system. It was the little food he needed to eat that he could eat normally that helped him connect more to his buddies, as he could, with his skill, make that small portion QUALITY...and he could also share the experience with his comrades.

On the other hand, a 'borg with an apparent working mouth, but no connected digestive system or real need to eat normally, could load up at a restaurant or galley, and smuggle food out to other people. Unless the folks running the salad bar or mess hall know something about full-con systems, and the individual 'both specifically, they might not question why the guy was stuffing his face when he couldn't digest it.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

jburkett wrote:hello, I know I have lots of questions these days. I'm sure this is in RUE or another source but I am having troubles locating anything that says whether a full-conversion 'borg needs to eat and drink. Are they powered completely by their internal power source (nuclear?). I seem to remember that the stomach is one of the organs that may be saved or is reinforced or something but can't recall. I don't think any of the other organs included in digestion, etc. are mentioned. Can 'borgs get drunk? Well, once again, I appreciate the insightful input I've read so far on my other questions. Cheers!

I would point out that in the Bionic Sourcebook, page 85, there is this item:
Rifts Sourcebook 05: Bionics, page 85 wrote:Anti-Toxin and Super Digestive System (new): The character can eat any organic substance without harm and can squeeze every ounce of nutrition out of it to boot.

It then further adds this passage
Rifts Sourcebook 05: Bionics, page 85 wrote:and only needs to eat about half as much food, and food for this cyborg can include grass, leaves, tree bark, roots, rotting garbage, spoiled meat, and so on.

So it would seem that yes, they do need to eat and drink.

There are other bionic features that discuss the need for food, and that augment the ability to go without, or carry more with you. That was just the first example I came across.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

I would say that the brain still needs oxygen and some level of nutrients to continue to function, but as for actually eating or drinking .... no, they don't need to actually consume real food. Most likely the brain is kept functioning by a limited circulatory system that provides oxygen and nutrients to it, similar to the IV system that taalismn mentioned.
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

jburkett wrote:hello, I know I have lots of questions these days. I'm sure this is in RUE or another source but I am having troubles locating anything that says whether a full-conversion 'borg needs to eat and drink. Are they powered completely by their internal power source (nuclear?). I seem to remember that the stomach is one of the organs that may be saved or is reinforced or something but can't recall. I don't think any of the other organs included in digestion, etc. are mentioned. Can 'borgs get drunk? Well, once again, I appreciate the insightful input I've read so far on my other questions. Cheers!

The organic parts of the cyborg still need food/water. In WB8 Japan and Bionics SB there is even an internal IV implant.

Now how much they actually need is another matter. I thought there was something on FCB and drinking, but can't seem to find it.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

13eowulf wrote:

I would point out that in the Bionic Sourcebook, page 85, there is this item:
Rifts Sourcebook 05: Bionics, page 85 wrote:Anti-Toxin and Super Digestive System (new): The character can eat any organic substance without harm and can squeeze every ounce of nutrition out of it to boot.

It then further adds this passage
Rifts Sourcebook 05: Bionics, page 85 wrote:and only needs to eat about half as much food, and food for this cyborg can include grass, leaves, tree bark, roots, rotting garbage, spoiled meat, and so on.

So it would seem that yes, they do need to eat and drink.

There are other bionic features that discuss the need for food, and that augment the ability to go without, or carry more with you. That was just the first example I came across.

i don't have that book, but unless that is explicitly a thing for full conversion only, it could be an augmentation intended for partial conversion 'borgs or even just other characters that choose to get a little bit of augmentation (you can put a bionic digestive tract into another OCC just like you can put a bionic hand or eye into another OCC)

anyways, i would assume they need to obtain fuel for their remaining human parts as normal. precisely where they obtain that from may depend on the 'borg, but i would say most don't *need* to perform the physical act of eating (and can gain their required nutrients in other ways), and some likely can't eat even if they want to (considering that enslaving people, turning them into 'borgs, and forcing them to work in a mine is an explicit thing that happens in the setting... i doubt the people paying for those forced conversions are big on including features intended to help the 'borg retain a sense of humanity... but i suspect it would be standard for many 'borg designs intend to be sold to be people who are making the change voluntarily, especially in places like the NGR where they make specific efforts to include such things).
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

ShadowLogan wrote:

The organic parts of the cyborg still need food/water. In WB8 Japan and Bionics SB there is even an internal IV implant.

Now how much they actually need is another matter. I thought there was something on FCB and drinking, but can't seem to find it.

The question really comes down to: "How many organic parts are left in a FCB?" I'm thinking that an FCB has removed all their internal organs (heart, lungs, liver, kidneys, stomach, intestines), replaced their entire external body and limbs, and only has (IMO) the spinal column and brain left. The rest is weapons (meaning internal ones), power plant and armor. IF this is the case then the only "organ" that needs nutrients is the brain. That can be supplied by an IV system or we can handwavium it and say that cybernetic technology is such that the technology takes care of it.
For the record, I take some of my thoughts from Piers Anthony's Adept novels as well as Battle Angel Alita.
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
taalismn
Priest

A possible piece of imported cyberware from South America might be a more limited version of the VR stem system used by the Megaversal Legion's full cons. For those cyborgs that are just brains in shells, having a VR system thet would accompany each infusion of IV solution w/ the stimulation of having a really good meal might go a long way to relieving some of the dehumanizing they may feel from their conversion.

And yeah, I think, that unless a cyborg has intermediary toxin scrubbers and blood chemistry adjustment systems, they COULD get drunk, and probably on a lot less than normal, because they have less body mass to absorb alcohol. Which raises the spector of 5,000 lb Russian cyborg shock troopers going down after one glass of weak vodka.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Short Answer. YES. Cyborgs eat & drink.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

keir451 wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:

The question really comes down to: "How many organic parts are left in a FCB?" I'm thinking that an FCB has removed all their internal organs (heart, lungs, liver, kidneys, stomach, intestines), replaced their entire external body and limbs, and only has (IMO) the spinal column and brain left. The rest is weapons (meaning internal ones), power plant and armor. IF this is the case then the only "organ" that needs nutrients is the brain. That can be supplied by an IV system or we can handwavium it and say that cybernetic technology is such that the technology takes care of it.
For the record, I take some of my thoughts from Piers Anthony's Adept novels as well as Battle Angel Alita.

officially, most keep their tongue as well iirc. apparently fake tongues that can handle making human sounds are tricky to manufacture. of course, there's absolutely nothing keeping someone from just not having a tongue at all and using a speaker, but apparently that isn't the norm.
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

The human brain consumes about 300 calories per day when at rest.

Those calories must come from some where and water + oxygen does not equal calories.

Most likely, as other posters have pointed out, it would come in the form of a nutrient soup to reduce the ancillary systems required for metabolization and waste processing.

It could also come from actual food as well.

The canon doesn't explicitly state what is what. But you can be sure they are not existing on water and oxygen...

You could have:
1. a bionic system that creates a nutrient "soup" from more simple compounds
2. a bionic system that mimics normal human consumption
3. a bionic system purpose built for a specialized food source
4. any number of alternatives I don't care to think of right now...

But if your bionics is keeping a human brain alive and functioning, part of keeping that brain alive is feeding that brain.

If you want to avoid it altogether, try a transferred intelligence.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

keir451 wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:

Well going back to the original RMB Ppg238 &pg48 it states "the character is over 90% machine. [...] Only the brain, often, but not always, the face, and few other original human components, especially the tongue, throat, and head are all that remain"

Now how 90% is derived (volume, mass, area, etc) isn't stated. We also know that there are bio-system organs for the digestive system (off hand I don't know if there are bionic or non-bio-system cybernetic versions available).
taalismn
Priest

shadrak wrote:4. any number of alternatives I don't care to think of right now...

Blood...drawn fresh...yes, VAMPIRE 'Borgs. :twisted:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

ShadowLogan wrote:Well going back to the original RMB Ppg238 &pg48 it states "the character is over 90% machine. [...] Only the brain, often, but not always, the face, and few other original human components, especially the tongue, throat, and head are all that remain"

Now how 90% is derived (volume, mass, area, etc) isn't stated. We also know that there are bio-system organs for the digestive system (off hand I don't know if there are bionic or non-bio-system cybernetic versions available).

basically the the Robocop set up.. the only part left of him was brain, the face below the hairline and his tongue/upper throat.. he still had to eat though (subsisting on a heavily processed nutrient mush resembling babyfood.. actual babyfood was used later on as an impromptu substitute.

i could see rifts having cyborg food in the same vein as the stuff in Ghost in the Shell standalone complex. stuff made from simple materials* and packed with whatever trace nutrients they need, but designed to look like real food and taste close enough to real that the cyborgs can enjoy it. most non-cyborgs find the taste 'off' and the texture uncomfortable though. Cyborgs seem to be able to process real food as well, though i'd assume they had to be careful about it.

*the example given on the show was meat that was actually mostly made from Gluten.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

There really ought to be cyborgs masquerading as vampires.
taalismn
Priest

Axelmania wrote:There really ought to be cyborgs masquerading as vampires.

I remember a 'Judge Dredd' comic which had robot vampires...they were medical 'bots taking care of the last president f the United States who was sleeping in states, and the 'bots were using human blood to keep him healthy in stasis.
Dredd was....not amused.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “Rifts®”