How Do Disarm Bonuses Work?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

What do you add to your disarm roll?

Disarm Bonuses Only! It's a special move, after all, so no PP or strike bonuses should apply.
31%
Strike Bonuses Plus Disarm! It's just a specialized offensive strike after all.
31%
Bah! These choices are lame. I do my own thing, which I shall describe in a reply.
38%

Total votes: 16

Hotrod
Knight

How Do Disarm Bonuses Work?

Unread post by Hotrod »

Simple question today. When you roll to disarm an opponent, do you use the disarm bonus only, or do you add it to the strike bonus? Or do you do something else?
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Re: How Do Disarm Bonuses Work?

Unread post by Natasha »

This'll be fun.
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

Hotrod wrote:Simple question today. When you roll to disarm an opponent, do you use the disarm bonus only, or do you add it to the strike bonus? Or do you do something else?

Should we assume that this is only referring to an offensive disarm, and not a defensive?
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

dreicunan wrote:
Hotrod wrote:Simple question today. When you roll to disarm an opponent, do you use the disarm bonus only, or do you add it to the strike bonus? Or do you do something else?

Should we assume that this is only referring to an offensive disarm, and not a defensive?

Sure? I've never used it defensively.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

i would add PP bonus, but not strike bonuses.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

dreicunan wrote:

How do you use it defensively? I have always considered this a strike.
Shark_Force wrote:i would add PP bonus, but not strike bonuses.

This is what I do.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

+1

Combat Bonuses only stack with like combat bonuses. Sometimes those like combat bonuses might have additional situational parameters that might allow them to be added in or not. This means that Disarm Bonuses stack (when appropriate) with each other, but not with Strike or other bonuses.

The one exception would be the PP Bonus. We know from the specific listing it is "strike, parry, dodge", but we also know PP applies to Auto-Dodge which means it would apply to other combat bonus categories (Auto-Dodge, Entangle, Disarm).

Warshield73 wrote:
dreicunan wrote:

RUE pg 345 on the Disarm Term "...It can be used as a defensive move in place of a dodge or parry, or can be done as an attack/strike." It then goes on in a bit more detail, but the options is there.

I don't know how far back this definition goes for Palladium RPGs, but that appears to be the working definition for Rifts currently (the term isn't in RMB).
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

PP and Disarm bonuses only, in place of a parry.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

Warshield73 wrote:
dreicunan wrote:

This is what I do.

The Disarm write up in the Rifts Conversion book says you can do a disarm instead of a parry or dodge but it reques a natural roll of 19 or 20.
Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

I allow PP bonuses with Disarm but no other strike bonuses for a Disarm substituted for an offensive strike.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

I have to say, I like the P.P. bonus with disarm for both offense and defense. That said, is there any canon reference to back that up?
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. As an individual, I want to say I've always run it as Disarm bonus plus P.P. bonus. With that said, from what I can tell by the actual book (and the option I thereby voted), the answer is ...

Disarm (defensive): Natural 19 or 20 only. Bonuses and skill are irrelevant, only luck matters. As far as I can tell the only good reason to use this maneuver is if you need a Nat 19 or 20 to defend anyways. Then it's kind of a "Oh well, no reason NOT to, I guess."

Disarm (offensive): Roll with bonuses to Strike (plus any special Disarm bonuses). RUE, page 345 (under Disarm) there's a few lines that tell us how to treat this. First paragraph states: "It can be used as ... an attack/strike." Now this could be "strike" in the general usage of the term, so that doesn't mean much on its own.

Second paragraph states: "The disarm is a strike, hold or grappling maneuver ..." Once again we see the term strike, but that doesn't necessarily tell us much as "grappling" isn't a specific Palladium combat maneuver either. Now "holds" are a Palladium combat technique, and it has a line that states (on the same page as above): "If the strike is successful, then the victim is helpless until released." At no point does it give us more of a game mechanic, but it does refer to it as a "strike" (similar to Disarm). Outside of N&S (and maybe Rifts Japan and China), I don't believe any Hand to Hand provides bonuses to Hold. So if we determine Holds work as a normal strike (because I'm reluctant to believe it's intended as natural roll only), then this can be an insight into Disarm. Note: Holds further discuss mechanics for breaking and/or maintaining a Hold, but not how to begin one.

Third paragraph states: "Roll a disarming strike to attack as usual - high roll wins." This one uses the term "disarming strike." This could be a vague combat roll never described, or (as I read it) is basically just telling us to roll to strike as normal. The fact it adds "as usual" to me indicates that this functions like normal, not a special exception.

Disarm (much like Holds, Body Block/Tackle, Kick Attacks, etc.) aren't clearly defined into a mechanic. However, it doesn't actually deal damage. In an evenly matched battle, the Disarming character will probably take a few hits in the process of trying (along with some failures). If the opponent is only powerful due to a single item (which means they weren't very well balanced or thought out), or has been disarmed of several weapons in a row (which most likely means they were already outclassed), then I'm probably okay with the result. Others may have a different opinion, of course. Anyways, hope that helps. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Mlp7029 wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:
dreicunan wrote:

This is what I do.

The Disarm write up in the Rifts Conversion book says you can do a disarm instead of a parry or dodge but it reques a natural roll of 19 or 20.

RUE was a change for rules written after that book. So RUE write up is the one that is currently valid.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Prysus wrote:
Greetings and Salutations. As an individual, I want to say I've always run it as Disarm bonus plus P.P. bonus. With that said, from what I can tell by the actual book (and the option I thereby voted), the answer is ...

Disarm (defensive): Natural 19 or 20 only. Bonuses and skill are irrelevant, only luck matters. As far as I can tell the only good reason to use this maneuver is if you need a Nat 19 or 20 to defend anyways. Then it's kind of a "Oh well, no reason NOT to, I guess."

Disarm (offensive): Roll with bonuses to Strike (plus any special Disarm bonuses). RUE, page 345 (under Disarm) there's a few lines that tell us how to treat this. First paragraph states: "It can be used as ... an attack/strike." Now this could be "strike" in the general usage of the term, so that doesn't mean much on its own.

Second paragraph states: "The disarm is a strike, hold or grappling maneuver ..." Once again we see the term strike, but that doesn't necessarily tell us much as "grappling" isn't a specific Palladium combat maneuver either. Now "holds" are a Palladium combat technique, and it has a line that states (on the same page as above): "If the strike is successful, then the victim is helpless until released." At no point does it give us more of a game mechanic, but it does refer to it as a "strike" (similar to Disarm). Outside of N&S (and maybe Rifts Japan and China), I don't believe any Hand to Hand provides bonuses to Hold. So if we determine Holds work as a normal strike (because I'm reluctant to believe it's intended as natural roll only), then this can be an insight into Disarm. Note: Holds further discuss mechanics for breaking and/or maintaining a Hold, but not how to begin one.

Third paragraph states: "Roll a disarming strike to attack as usual - high roll wins." This one uses the term "disarming strike." This could be a vague combat roll never described, or (as I read it) is basically just telling us to roll to strike as normal. The fact it adds "as usual" to me indicates that this functions like normal, not a special exception.

Disarm (much like Holds, Body Block/Tackle, Kick Attacks, etc.) aren't clearly defined into a mechanic. However, it doesn't actually deal damage. In an evenly matched battle, the Disarming character will probably take a few hits in the process of trying (along with some failures). If the opponent is only powerful due to a single item (which means they weren't very well balanced or thought out), or has been disarmed of several weapons in a row (which most likely means they were already outclassed), then I'm probably okay with the result. Others may have a different opinion, of course. Anyways, hope that helps. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Removing a rune weapon from a persons hand or taking away a powerfull weapon like those found in storm spire would be times it would be useful. Typically if a person has a powerful melee weapon if he has a back up it will not be as good. It might not be about stoping them from doing damage but stop them from doing as much.

You could also disarm to stop them from shooting at some non-combatant.

You could also disarm as part of an attempt to capture a person alive.

It is a tactical choice to try to get an advantage that might not always be useful.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Prysus wrote:Disarm (defensive): Natural 19 or 20 only. Bonuses and skill are irrelevant, only luck matters. As far as I can tell the only good reason to use this maneuver is if you need a Nat 19 or 20 to defend anyways. Then it's kind of a "Oh well, no reason NOT to, I guess."

Defense bonuses don't matter for natural 20s (they always win anyway) but they do matter for natural 19s, since presumably you need to tie or exceed the strike. Someone who rolls 19+1 to strike (modified 20) would beat a natural 19 to disarm, but not a natural 19 with a +1.

Parries/Dodges which don't require a natural number could often be more attractive, but there are situations where these rolls are subject to penalties but disarms are not, or situations where disarming is very very valuable and worth only having a maximum of 10% chance of success.

It can be used as ... an attack/strike.

Strikes get strike bonuses except where we're explicitly told otherwise, IMO. Long as the origin makes sense. IE you get the +1 to strike from your W.P. Sword if using a sword to disarm, but not if using a shield.

I understand the conceptual objection to this of course: IRL it's probably harder to disarm someone with a weapon than to simply hit them with it, but stacking disarm/strike will always making striking disarms equal or better than simple hits.
Vincent Takeda
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: 44 years in denver, but now in grand rapids.

Unread post by Vincent Takeda »

Personally I only use the disarm bonus without the PP bonus either as an attack or a defense, but I don't require the 19/20 bit. Easier to pull off as a defensive maneuver since you're beating an attack roll instead of a defense roll, but a still a tougher trick to pull off than simply attacking or defending. That being said, I allow martial arts from ninjas and superspies, where certain styles provide a disarm bonus when others do not. Without ninjas and superspies I can see how handling it with a standard attack roll and pp bonuses would seem a normal way to handle it.

Return to “Rifts®”