Cosmo-Knight Questions

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Hotrod
Knight

Cosmo-Knight Questions

Unread post by Hotrod »

I’ve been thinking of developing a Fallen Cosmo-Knight as an N.P.C., and as I’m not very familiar with the Phase World dimension, I have a few questions about them:

It is established that Cosmo-Knights can lose their weapons. Can other people use them as melee weapons? Can other people use their powers (return when thrown, energy blast)? Could a Cosmo-Knight lend his weapon to someone else for such a purpose? Also, does a Cosmo-Knight weapon only return when thrown, or can the Cosmo-Knight just pull it to him/her self if it's in someone else's hands? Finally, what happens to a Cosmo-Knight's weapon when the Cosmo-Knight who created it dies? Does it poof, or does it stick around?

The verbage of what a Fallen Knight becomes is somewhat confused. In the P.P.E. section, it states that a Fallen Knight can select a magic O.C.C. However, in the powers section, the text specifies that the Fallen Knight can learn spell magic a la Ley Line Walker or take the same powers as a Mind Melter, without any of the unique abilities of either class.
Could a Fallen Knight select the magic of a different magic O.C.C. without getting that O.C.C.’s specific bonuses? Could one take up circle magic, ward magic, or mystic herbology? The text indicates that the Cosmo-Knight can become a servant of a god, such as a Warrior of Valhalla. Could he or she become a priest or monk?

The act of falling as a Cosmo-Knight seems to imply a moral failure. If a Cosmo-Knight is magically or psionically forced to do something immoral or terrible (destroy a colony ship, release a plague, murder an innocent), would that lead to a fall? If the Cosmo-Knight faces an ethical dilemma (kill the villain AND the children he's using as human shields?) and makes a judgment call that satisfies one tenant of the code while violating another, would that lead to a fall?

I realize that there aren't a lot of clear canon answers to many of these questions; I'm just curious as to the community's opinions.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Axelmania
Knight

Re: Cosmo-Knight Questions

Unread post by Axelmania »

We're explicitly told that Cosmo-Knights can have their weapons stolen (causing some to fall) so I imagine you could hit with them, but I don't think others could use the energy blast. That is just a conduit for the knight's powers, after all. I don't think other knights could even use others' weapons. Enhancements like that can't even be used by a knight when he falls, it reverts to basic abilities. As for returning when thrown, I think that would only be if the creating knight threw it.

I don't see a problem with letting the weapons stick around after death.

Learning OCCs other than the LLW/witch examples might require standard rules for changing them. Which could work out better since then you could use smaller experience tables instead of the dragon's.

Return to “Rifts®”