Lightning Arc damage

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

yrtalien
D-Bee

Lightning Arc damage

Unread post by yrtalien »

Just to put my mind at ease...
When the spells damage says 4d6+2 per level... at second level that means 4d6+4 right? Not 8d6+4?

Thanks
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: Lightning Arc damage

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

L1 4d6+2
L2 4d6+4
L3 4d6+6
etc
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

yrtalien wrote:Just to put my mind at ease...
When the spells damage says 4d6+2 per level... at second level that means 4d6+4 right? Not 8d6+4?

Thanks

Correct. If it were the latter the damage would quickly get out of hand.

And since we're on the subject, that +2 really adds up. By level five it's hitting for 4D6+10, which averages to 24 points of damage (just shy of 1D4x10's average). Combined with multiple uses over several rounds, it's an incredibly PPE efficient spell.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Mack wrote:Correct. If it were the latter the damage would quickly get out of hand.

Getting out of hand WOULD be fun though. Still has pathetic range so it's not a gamebreaker. Still takes a while to catch up to boom guns.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

range is certainly a factor, but it isn't at all uncommon to have fights within lightning arc range. it would be excessively strong if the damage scaled that hard on a reusable spell, even with limited range.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Axelmania wrote:
Mack wrote:Correct. If it were the latter the damage would quickly get out of hand.

Getting out of hand WOULD be fun though. Still has pathetic range so it's not a gamebreaker. Still takes a while to catch up to boom guns.

By level 7 it would surpass the Boom Gun’s damage, which is ridiculous for the low PPE cost and multiple rounds of use.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Axelmania wrote:

On the incorrect scale...
Damage for a 2nd Level Caster would put it better than a burst from a CR-40 (SAMAS Railgun), and by Level 3 it is superior to nearly every railgun in terms of damage (I say nearly, not all as there is the BG/Shem) and by Level 7 it is practically a Boom Gun in terms of damage (max. damage is only 2pts more).

How many pistols and rifles can match that and be +4 Strike regardless of level (yes I know it only applies w/n 100ft)?

Sure range can be a factor, but it is unlikely IMHO. While you can easily plan an ambush encounter around a known tech item, gauging spell range isn't as clear cut (and the ambusher's might not even know if spell X is known by their target, or if they do how far they can actually cast it)
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Axelmania wrote:

T'would be the joy buzzer from hell, alright.
Leave your opponent tap-dancing the Electrocution Fandango.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

ShadowLogan wrote:
Axelmania wrote:

On the incorrect scale...
Damage for a 2nd Level Caster would put it better than a burst from a CR-40 (SAMAS Railgun), and by Level 3 it is superior to nearly every railgun in terms of damage (I say nearly, not all as there is the BG/Shem) and by Level 7 it is practically a Boom Gun in terms of damage (max. damage is only 2pts more).

How many pistols and rifles can match that and be +4 Strike regardless of level (yes I know it only applies w/n 100ft)?

Sure range can be a factor, but it is unlikely IMHO. While you can easily plan an ambush encounter around a known tech item, gauging spell range isn't as clear cut (and the ambusher's might not even know if spell X is known by their target, or if they do how far they can actually cast it)

Isn't the 3-4 the point where you are no longer low level charter, and suppose to be the average level of expience.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Axelmania
Knight

Mack wrote:
Axelmania wrote:

By level 7 it would surpass the Boom Gun’s damage, which is ridiculous for the low PPE cost and multiple rounds of use.

Yes but, Impervious to Energy. Boom Guns don't even cost PPE.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Axelmania wrote:
Mack wrote:
Axelmania wrote:

Yes but, Impervious to Energy. Boom Guns don't even cost PPE.

And spells do not cost credits but boom gun rounds do, and normal boom gun rounds can not hurt vampire and where wolves
your statement is irrelvent to the fact it is doing more damage than a boom gun and performing well beyond what such a low level multi strike spell should.

When you use boom gun rounds you have to go get replacement rounds, when you use PPE it comes back on its own.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I would just like to point out that "Does less damage than a boom gun" doesn't mean much.
A Boomgun is supposed to be the pinnacle of personal damage dealing.
There are only a hand few of weapons that do more damage than a boomgun.
That is like saying that a car is reasonably priced because it costs less than a Lamborghini...
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

eliakon wrote:I would just like to point out that "Does less damage than a boom gun" doesn't mean much.
A Boomgun is supposed to be the pinnacle of personal damage dealing.
There are only a hand few of weapons that do more damage than a boomgun.
That is like saying that a car is reasonably priced because it costs less than a Lamborghini...

:ok:
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Axelmania
Knight

Is the wooden ammo that electromagnetic railguns somehow are able to fire at vampires that much more expensive than the usual kind?

I suppose silver is for the rare wolves you might need to fight.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Axelmania wrote:Is the wooden ammo that electromagnetic railguns somehow are able to fire at vampires that much more expensive than the usual kind?

Is it common to carry specical rounds in your main ammo drum. Does a boom gun have wood and silver rounds I know rail guns do but that is besides the point.

guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

Blue_Lion wrote:
Axelmania wrote:Is the wooden ammo that electromagnetic railguns somehow are able to fire at vampires that much more expensive than the usual kind?

Is it common to carry specical rounds in your main ammo drum. Does a boom gun have wood and silver rounds I know rail guns do but that is besides the point.

Yes there are wood and silver boom gun rounds, and the boom gun has the advantage, that you can hook up a secondary 50? Round drum, and or manually load the special rounds

Return to “Rifts®”