Sniping

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nightmask
Palladin

Re: Sniping

Unread post by Nightmask »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
eliakon wrote:
The Beast wrote:
Mack wrote:So I was toying around with the idea of a sniper and what kind of bonus to strike he could accumulate. Specifically, how high of an Aimed Strike bonus he could get without resorting to far-fetched methods. This isn't intended to be a min-maxed munchkin sniper that combines unlikely bits from all over the Megaverse. Basically, a human from North America who specializes in long-range aimed shots, but nothing exotic. Just a soldier/merc who's invested his time and energy into his craft.

Here's what I've come up with thus far... The starting OCC doesn't really matter. I did look at the Gunfighter from New West who gets a special bonus to strike, but it requires an extremely rare PP score to be effective. Instead, I went with a Headhunter for the bionics.

+2 on an Aimed Shot from WP (RUE p361)
+2 on an Aimed Shot from the Sniper skill (RUE p309)
+1 from either a Targeting or Multi-Optic eye (RUE p50)
+1 from completing Boot Camp (Merc Adventures p41)
+2 from a quality rifle (such as the Wilk's 587, Merc Ops p103-4... or the old C-10 from the CS has a +3 [RUE p257])

For a total of +8 on an Aimed Shot (or +9 with the C-10). That's high enough that prior to any penalties, he'll hit with any die roll other than a Nat 1.

So what else is out there that can aid Bob the sniper with his craft?

Well if Bob is lucky enough to find someone willing to teach him Jujutsu he'll have access to the Martial Arts Techniques, and he can take One Life, One Shot, One Hit, One Kill. This technique can be used with any weapon, ancient or modern, just not a punch, kick, or similar attack. Bob just picks a spot from his target that's well concealed and start using the power. Every 15 seconds he'll gain a +1 to strike the target, plus if the total with bonuses is 20 or better Bob does a critical strike.

EDIT: Now personally I believe the intent of this ability was for hand-held weapons only, and not weapons mounted on vehicles or mecha units.However seeing as N&S also has the Gizmoteer OCC, and they could select skills that would allow them to modify vehicles for combat I can see someone arguing that vehicle-mounted weapons can be used with this power. If that's the case I will point out that the user of the power has to attack the moment they stop focusing on it, and can't take an action between that and rolling to strike.

Problem with OLOSOHOK is that you cant use it with most weapons.
No seriously. Read the book.
You can only get it via taking a full MAF.
And you can only use MAF's with weapons that you have a kata for.
So unless you can convince your GM to let you take a W.P. Rifle kata your out of luck.
And since you can not have both a MAF and a normal H2H (with out being a dedicated Martial Artist) your out of luck there too.

Believe there is a "gun kata" in N&S Mystic China in the Triad Martial art

It only covers a very specific range of 9MM handguns though, there's no general gun kata in the book. A GM would have to alter it if they wanted someone being able to use other guns with the Triad gun MA.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Nightmask wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
eliakon wrote:
The Beast wrote:
Mack wrote:So I was toying around with the idea of a sniper and what kind of bonus to strike he could accumulate. Specifically, how high of an Aimed Strike bonus he could get without resorting to far-fetched methods. This isn't intended to be a min-maxed munchkin sniper that combines unlikely bits from all over the Megaverse. Basically, a human from North America who specializes in long-range aimed shots, but nothing exotic. Just a soldier/merc who's invested his time and energy into his craft.

Here's what I've come up with thus far... The starting OCC doesn't really matter. I did look at the Gunfighter from New West who gets a special bonus to strike, but it requires an extremely rare PP score to be effective. Instead, I went with a Headhunter for the bionics.

+2 on an Aimed Shot from WP (RUE p361)
+2 on an Aimed Shot from the Sniper skill (RUE p309)
+1 from either a Targeting or Multi-Optic eye (RUE p50)
+1 from completing Boot Camp (Merc Adventures p41)
+2 from a quality rifle (such as the Wilk's 587, Merc Ops p103-4... or the old C-10 from the CS has a +3 [RUE p257])

For a total of +8 on an Aimed Shot (or +9 with the C-10). That's high enough that prior to any penalties, he'll hit with any die roll other than a Nat 1.

So what else is out there that can aid Bob the sniper with his craft?

Well if Bob is lucky enough to find someone willing to teach him Jujutsu he'll have access to the Martial Arts Techniques, and he can take One Life, One Shot, One Hit, One Kill. This technique can be used with any weapon, ancient or modern, just not a punch, kick, or similar attack. Bob just picks a spot from his target that's well concealed and start using the power. Every 15 seconds he'll gain a +1 to strike the target, plus if the total with bonuses is 20 or better Bob does a critical strike.

EDIT: Now personally I believe the intent of this ability was for hand-held weapons only, and not weapons mounted on vehicles or mecha units.However seeing as N&S also has the Gizmoteer OCC, and they could select skills that would allow them to modify vehicles for combat I can see someone arguing that vehicle-mounted weapons can be used with this power. If that's the case I will point out that the user of the power has to attack the moment they stop focusing on it, and can't take an action between that and rolling to strike.

So unless you can convince your GM to let you take a W.P. Rifle kata your out of luck.
And since you can not have both a MAF and a normal H2H (with out being a dedicated Martial Artist) your out of luck there too.

It only covers a very specific range of 9MM handguns though, there's no general gun kata in the book. A GM would have to alter it if they wanted someone being able to use other guns with the Triad gun MA.

I thought it was automatic pistols in general not just 9mm.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Blue_Lion wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
eliakon wrote:Well if Bob is lucky enough to find someone willing to teach him Jujutsu he'll have access to the Martial Arts Techniques, and he can take One Life, One Shot, One Hit, One Kill. This technique can be used with any weapon, ancient or modern, just not a punch, kick, or similar attack. Bob just picks a spot from his target that's well concealed and start using the power. Every 15 seconds he'll gain a +1 to strike the target, plus if the total with bonuses is 20 or better Bob does a critical strike.

I thought it was automatic pistols in general not just 9mm.[/quote]

Nope... I keep forgetting I've got my books out again. Pg 201
Moreover, the training is so precise that the weapon must be a 9 mm (or 9mm Parabelum), with a clip/magazine that hold a minimum of thirteen rounds."
:(
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)

Return to “Rifts®”